Round 2; 107 Dragon Quest VIII; Journey of the cursed king v 43 Soul calibur

?

• Dragon Quest VIII

• Soul Calibur

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Dragon_Quest_VIII_Journey_of_the_Cursed_King.jpeg

v

Soulcalibur.jpg

Dragonquest VIII was a very solid RPG game, but I think a lot of people actually purchased it to get their hands on the FFXII demo, which is sad because I did enjoy Dragonquest VIII. Decent story, combat was good, typical anime inspired RPG. Solid, but run of the mill.

And then you have my game of choice, Soul Calibur. I believe I went over in the last round why to vote for it, but let's just rinse and repeat a bit here. Here you have a game that is regarded as one of the best fighting games of all time and helped launch the great Soul Calibur Series. The fighting was top notch and the strengths and weakness of each character were very noticeable. It was a fighting game that anybody could pick up to play, but truly difficult to master. Button mashing could get you a win here and there, but going up against a true Soul Calibur master, you were fucked from the get go. So by all means, vote for the epic fighting game over the run of the mill RPG.

Gotta go with Soul Caliber. One of the best fighting games ever made, and endlessly fun to play. I've never been a big fan of the Dragon series, though as I've said before Part VIII is the only one in the series that really captured my attention as a great game. Still, have to go with Caliber here. Nostalgia factor comes into play again.

Going with Dragon Quest here. I love Soul Caliber. It is my favorite fighting based game ever made, but that's not saying much at all. I hate fighting games. I however love rpg's. Dragon Quest may be just a run in the mill rpg, but it's a good game none the less. It gets my vote in a tough decision for me.

Got to go with Soul Caliber here. I put this franchise in 3rd place in the fighting genre right behind Street Fighter and Virtual Fighter. I've played it again today just for the nostalgia factor. It still is very appealing to me.

Tough one here, Soul Calibur to many people (and me) was one of the best fighting games to come along in the 2000's (though I think Power Stone was the best on the DC). But the thing is...this is Dragon Quest and not just any DQ, it's Level-5's Journey of the Cursed King which is easily one of the best RPGs of the last-gen no doubt about it at all. I got to give my vote for VIII, I spent countless hours enjoying this game.

I haven't played either of these games much, but from what I have played they are both very good. In the end, I think it comes down to preference, do you like RPGs or fighting games? Personally, I'm a huge fan of fighting games and Soul Caliber was one of the best in recent memory, it gets my vote.

DQ8 is one of the more under appreciated RPG hits of recent times. It's a great example of a very solid JRPG, with a fun story, good characters and locations, fun combat, really the gamut of RPG elements, all done well. It gets little love outside the RPG fans book, but its damn good stuff.

Soul Calibur, however, is a landmark hit. It's a definitive evolution in the fighting game genre and spawned a series that today ranks alongside Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter. It's huge in the history of games in general, and particularly fighting games, and it's a lasting fighting game hit.

Really hard choice, but for contributions to the industry as a whole, I choose Soul Calibur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back