Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
r1t2vnocountry_zpsed3ee287.jpg

Round 1: No Country for Old Men vs. T2: Judgement Day

Polls will close on Saturday, October 20 at 12:00am(ish) ET.​

This draw almost doesn't feel random. They're very similar films, protagonists being hunted by an unstoppable force but they take different approaches. T2 is more concerned with an action thrillride, No Country talks things over a bit more. Personally I prefer the latter approach, No Country For Old Men had an intelligence that T2 doesn't.

Coens > Cameron
Bardem > Schwarzenegger

Terminator 2: Judgement Day is still in my top 4 or 5 films of all time. An absolutely phenmomenal film. The special effects were mind-blowing when the film was released and still look great today.

The action sequences are brilliant, but the the best thing about the movie for me is the way John Connor ends up trying to teach The Terminator human qualities while his mother, who was the target in the first film in the series, sees her son viewing this machine as a kind of father figure. Brilliant.

The final scene where Schwarzenegger lowers himself into the pit to destroy his memory chip is so well done, and as a bonus the Terminator theme song is the greatest movie theme of all time.

For a guy who broke the box office record twice I still say T2 was his crowning achievement in special effects and his best movie overall. It's the best sequel EVER (even better than Aliens and Godfather Part 2) and could very well be at the top of the ladder when I think of my all time favorite films.

Besides I love Arnolds hammy acting, he's my favorite actor and the reason I love action movies so much. But most of all it was this movie that left the biggest impression on me.

It's no secret that Terminator films often get discussed in the M&TV section, and T2 especially brings up a lot of excited and nostalgiac discussion.

James Cameron is one of the best action directors to ever hit the screen, but unlike a Michael Bay, there's often some thinking behind what he's involved with. Terminator 2 has some great action sequences but the real heart of the film is Ed Furlong and Arnie's interactions, as the young future saviour with the mother locked away in an insane asylum has to teach the killing machine about humanity and understanding.

No Country For Old Men is a cool film and definitely has one of the best recent villain characters, but T2 was and still is a phenomenon in movie-making and box-office success.

Normally I will go 'substance\story over style\flash' any day- but T2 is a solid exception. This movie had it all and is one that you can just watch over and over. You get one of the best sequels ever and a movie that is a 180 from the first film. We go from hating the Terminator to loving him. He starts out as a killing machine and is turned into a character you can cheer for. Ed Furlong and Arnold interacting with each other brought a different aspect to the film and made us all want a Terminator for ourselves to hang out with. Also nod goes to one of the most bad ass villains of all time played by Robert Patrick. So many memorable scenes.

As much as I love the cast\story in No Country, it just wasnt enought to edge out a movie that has been a favorite for over 20 years.

Special effects, motorcycles, guns, explosions, kickass music and a real good cast make this my pick. T2 all the way.

This is the best match up of the Mumbai region in my opinion. Watching T2 when I was a kid and multiple times after, it was the definition of a 1990s-era action movie. But No Country was phenomenal. It had the wonderful Tommy Lee Jones, who proved how tragic his life was / will be in his final soliloquy.

I'll give it to No Country for being a better drama, but also not having to rely on big explosions and gruesome intensity to paint its story.

T2 is quite a flat film, both visually and stylistically. The original Terminator could be a Vorhoeven film, it's such a product of its time. It opens with Arnold's bare arse and only gets more audacious from there. And the hair - oh Jesus, the hair!

T2 does away with the quirk and the charm. It's still a product of its time, but to a much lesser extent. As far as Cameron's films go, it's probably the safest.

NCFOM (as if I'm going to be typing out the full name) is what happens when the Coens do Hollywood, with fantastic results. It's quirky, it's funny and, most surprisingly, unbearably tense. It's definitely top tier for me - an uncompromising thriller with charm and a sense of humour.

Comparisons between the two aren't unwarranted, but NCFOM does it better. The shame is twofold; that NCFOM doesn't end in Chigurgh descending into molten lava with his thumb up and that T2 will win this without breaking a sweat.

I know that to "experts", No Country for Old Men is a better movie. I get it... it's acclaimed and shit.

But T2 was one of the greatest sequel movies EVER MADE. It's up there with The Dark Knight in terms of how it delivered, following it's original. It also made a shit load of money for that time period and introduced new technology and special effects that were never seen in movies, at that time.

T2 all the way for me.

I know that to "experts", No Country for Old Men is a better movie. I get it... it's acclaimed and shit.

Obviously, you picture people who, I don't know, like to talk about movies as sixty year old men with large moustaches, who sit in leather armchairs, smoke pipes and talk about what exactly this "music television" thing is. Film criticism obviously isn't about rational thought, or even discussion - it's about not liking good things.

But T2 was one of the greatest sequel movies EVER MADE. It's up there with The Dark Knight in terms of how it delivered, following it's original.

In as much as The Dark Knight did away with the more tonally unique aspects of Batman Begins, I agree. Sanding down the rough edges, I guess you could say.

It also made a shit load of money for that time period and introduced new technology and special effects that were never seen in movies, at that time.

All hail capitalism.

I've a lot of respect for Cameron - he's clearly a man that knows what people want. He's a pioneer. Shit, he's not even afraid to strap himself to the back of a van and film a helicopter speeding at him when the actual camerman's too much of a pussy. But NCFOM more effectively creates tension without a molten metal man.

T2 all the way for me.

Have you actually seen No Country For Old Men?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back