Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
inceptionvempire_zpsd7db8deb.jpg

Round 1: Inception vs. Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

Polls will close on Saturday, October 20 at 12:00am(ish) ET.​

I've seen all the Star Wars original trilogy films probably a couple dozen times in the last 22 years. "Jedi" has kind of worn on me over the years; I can only really manage it in movie marathons, and even then I usually get distracted about half way through. The original is great, but once you've seen it...you've seen it. The plot is good - a great adventure with a iconic bad guy and pure-of-heart hero - but after once or twice I can probably quote it seen by seen.

Empire Strikes Back doesn't ever get old. It doesn't get worse, and after all these years I'm still finding new things about it that interest me all the more. Unfortunately for this discussion, that's the same way I feel about Inception. Two phenomenally casted movies, with brilliant plots that don't get old and keep revealing themselves the more you watch them.

Inception gets a lot of crap by more elitist fans because of Christopher Nolan, its monstrous budget, probably some for DiCaprio, and being overly (and intentionally) complicated. But um...in response, I'm going to go with...George Lucas, Harrison Ford, $11,000,000...in 1977, and *spoiler alert* Darth Vader being Luke's father.

No, I'm not saying Inception = Empire Strikes Back. I'm not even saying Inception > Empire Strikes Back. That would be silly. But they are both great films, and these days if I had to pop one in to enjoy an afternoon with a pizza and some friends, I'd go Inception. There may be such a thing as over-exposure; granted that goes both ways, I suppose.

Anybody complaining about Inception being complicated is an idiot. It's boring. Alright, so it's a bit confusing why falling out of a chair will wake you up but being in a van that flips four times will leave you snug as a bug, but it's hardly a mind-frier. It doesn't have characters - it's half a dozen blokes in suits with Juno thrown in to trigger exposition. The movie spends the first hour in front of a chalkboard explaining its rules. Chris Nolan took the question of "What would it be like to perform a heist on people's dreams?" and answered it with "Well, there'd probably be a hotel and people in suits." It's a two hour perfume advert.

Empire Strikes Back is possibly the only good Star Wars film, but it's bloody good. A New Hope and Return of the Jedi are solid, but they're more akin to Flash Gordon than anything. They've got teddy bears and happy endings and, thanks to George Lucas, CG musical sequences. Fortunately, Lucas supposedly had too much respect for Irvin Kershner to totally fuck up Empire, so we're left with a surprisingly dark - and even more surprisingly compelling - middle chapter. It tones down the pulp and dials up the drama, which isn't to say that it isn't pulpy or that it's dry.

Empire in a walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back