Round 1; Civilisation 2(48) v Bust-a-move(81)

Discussion in 'Video Games Tournament (2009)' started by Lee, Jul 1, 2009.

?

?

1. Civilization

2. Bust a Move

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

[​IMG]

v

[​IMG]

2. Lee

I went with bust a move, it was a big family game where we used to take turns facing each other, and if a game brings my family together it must be good! I remember staying up rather late with my mam finishing this game. Classic.

3. Ty Burna

Ty Burna WZCW World Heavyweight Champion

Nostalgia over strategy for me here. I have played the new Civilization game, but this isn't that game, and Bust-A-Move was a classic, my brothers and I had a lot of competition between one another back then, and similar to Lee, family memories always trumps deep strategy games.

4. X

X RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM

Never rocked the Bust a Move game I must say. But it'd have to be pretty ridiculiously good to beat out Civilization 2. Civilization is everything that a game should be, comprehensive, difficult, endlessly entertaining and absurdly addictive. One of my favorite PC games of all time, it's the kind of game you can just get sucked into and literally play in like 8 hour shifts, taking breaks only for the bathroom and a bag of Doritos.

So, I went with Civilization. You should too.

5. D-Man

D-Man Gone but never forgotten.

Bust-A-Move is one of those games that you try to stop playing and you don't know why you started in the first place, but you STILL can't put the damn thing down. It's a mind-teaser in a format that anyone can play. This is why the game stands out. Whether you're 5 years old or 45 years old, you're sucked into it once you pick up the controller.

6. Mr. TM

Mr. TM Throwing a tantrum

I was in grade 7. Computers were not overly used in schools at this time. We had one of those macs that have the coloured shell. We were allowed to play on it for getting the highest mark or whatnot. I, using my extreme intelligence would rock my class, and get to play it. The game I would pick each and every time you ask?

CIVILIZATION 2.

The game was so good, that I literary worked harder in school to play it in class. Then my parents bought it for me, so I could slack. Well not really, that would not be good.

Civilization 2. The game that would give you the opportunity to build actual cities in an empire. We could see the Zulus take on the Americans in a battle of civilizations. Building up from the stone age up until the space age. Beating your opponent through use of the sword or the pen; through dance or to the moon.

Vote Civilization 2, it is the superior game. And I don't think it is close.

7. Loveless

Loveless A Life In Monochrome

It isn't close. Explore the world, get rich, take over the world or, you can shoot balls... pretty bloody clear which is the better game. A single game of Civ II could keep me busy for weeks until you get your score at the end and then start again to try and beat it.

Mr. TM likes this.
  8. Leeds Guy

Leeds Guy Retired Former WZCW EurAsian Champ

Civilization 2 is the ONLY video game that I have ever played with my mother, she loved it as did I. Build an army then destroy everbody else/allign with everybody else untill you either get betrayed or do the betraying. either way you have hours of fun at your disposal. Then you had to discover everything before your enemys do and win the race to space. Fantastic game which gets my vote.

9. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

I went with Civ 2. To the best of my knowledge, it was the first game I actually bought for myself and I was not dissapointed. It is a great game and one of the most challenging games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. I have never been a fan of PC gaming in general, never mind Turn based strategy games. However, this game is the exception. Giv ei tone game and you too will fall in love with it.

Vote: Civ 2

10. Spunky

Spunky Lovable degenerate.

Civilization II: Sid Meier's series of global and historical domination is one of those that will go down as a legend in the gaming world. There are very few games that even come close to copying the care and depth that this game was created with. The fact that you can win any way that you choose whether that be through diplomacy, combat, economics, research, or productivity makes this one of the most fleshed out strategy games ever made. This little passage can do no justice to the genius the original Civilization brought to gaming, and Civ 2 took this brilliance and turned it up in all aspects.

11. NSL

NSL Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh

I've never heard of Civilization, and Bust-A-Move was one of my favorites long ago, so guess who gets my vote...

It's an overly simple gamer to play, but it's addictive, and can be fun for hours. If it was a crappy game, we wouldn't be seeing so many rip-offs, now would we?

12. Dave

Dave Administrator

Well I guess that's true. However, Civilisation is easily the best turn based strategy game out there right now IMO. I know you have voted now but honestly, you need to play Civ.2. It is an incredible game and kept me enthralled for days at a time. It is challenging to see if you can beat the great armis of the world, especially when you atart off as just one city. It is a relatively simple game too in relation to some other PC games and I am sure it has it's fair share of copy-cats.

13. NSL

NSL Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh

Not a fan of strategy games. I like sports, wrestling, Guitar Hero...and that's about it.

Is it on a system I own? Game Gear, PSOne, XBox, or GameBoy Color?

This makes it sound like Risk. I owned Risk once. I used the board as a launch pad one year for 4th of July. That game pissed me off to no end.

14. Kashagi

Kashagi The

This is a tough choice, both are excellent games in their own sense, and bring back alot of great memories.

If I had to choose which to play, it would depend on my mood, I really dont see one above the other, I would vote for them both if I could.

Im choosing Civ 2, because while I think they are as good as each other, there is so much more to Civ, and I think its a tad more addictive.

15. Dave

Dave Administrator

Then I guess you were fully entitled to vote for Bust-a-Move. You can get Civ. Revolution for the 360. I have it. It's not quite as good or as in depth as the PC one but it is still a very good game.

16. Kashagi

Kashagi The

Though judging from your game tastes NightShift, I wouldnt recommend buying Civ Rev, it doesnt sound like a game you will enjoy :)

17. Blade

Blade "Original Blade"

Well this is the ultimate contest of depth vs playability.

Civilisation has it's in depth strategy gameplay, while Bust-a-move is a quick fire, pure fun, puzzle game.

I'm going with Bust-a-move here, cause I always found it too tricky to get into the Civilisation games, there was always too much. And Age of Empires is much better.
    But there's not many puzzle games that can top Bust-a-move. One of the all time great modern arcade games.

18. Razor

Razor crafts entire Worlds out of Words

Civilization 2. No way does a generic arcade game beat out the game that defined a gaming genre. Civilization 2 WAS Real-Time Strategy gaming. It still is, honestly. Though I like Age of Mythology for that.

Voting for Bust-a-move would be like voting for Frogger over Halo. Sure, Frogger was a great, old arcade game that defined a generation. But Halo is simply better than a game that is continuously jumping across a road of traffic. Just as building a civilization and attempting to conquer your neighbors through brute force or diplomacy is better than making a bunch of colored circles dissappear.

19. Lee

civilization II wins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.