Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
N6R7x.jpg

Round 1 Match: American History X vs. Toy Story 3

The polls will close for this match on Friday, October 19 at 12:00am

Edward Norton is busy this year in the movie tournament, taking on 12 Angry Men with the help of Brad Pitt in another first round match. In this match, however, he takes his 1998 drama up against a beloved Pixar masterpiece in Toy Story 3. We've got two totally opposite styles of film going at it here; while TS3 was arguably the most mature film among its peers, Woody and Buzz haven't exactly gone up against the depth and edge of American History X on their many adventures. Here's a question I never thought I'd have to ask: will it be the the neo-nazi skinhead that reigns supreme, or can the animated toy army overcome?

American History X is a cool movie. Ed Norton is a superb actor and he makes this film (much like Spike Lee's 25th hour) his own, he is one of the finest actors today and American History X is one of his better and more serious films. Everyone I know who has seen this movie talks about the "Bite the kerb" moment. My concern is that that one scene is the reason this movie is famous, nothing more nothing less.

However; Toy Story 3, whilst the weakest of the Toy Story films is a goddamn masterpiece, out 257 reviews by critics on rotten tomatoes only 3 had negative things to say. It's a film that I'm not ashamed to admit made me relatively emotional in the cinema (didn't cry but the lady did) partly because of the time I've spent with these characters (I was 10 when the first movie came out) and also because the film was just that damn good.

As much as I like AHX, it's got to be Toy Story 3 going forward.

If this was the original Toy Story going up against American History X, then I would be torn, but I thought the 3rd installment of the franchise was nowhere near as good as the original, or even number 2 while American History X is one of my favourite movies.

I think both the Edward's- Norton and Furlong give phenomenal performances throughout, as you see Norton's character change from the Nazi racist he was before spending time in prison to a completely different person determined to stop his younger brother, who idolised him follow him down the same path. The final scene still makes me feel emotional no matter how many times I see it.

It has to be AHX for me in this one, its just so good.

I don't see how you can compare American History X to Toy Story 3 but I'll try from a purely film making standpoint.

One thing that makes American History X a better film is it was made with the intention of telling a well thought out story that made you think. Toy Story 3 was made to pander to (some) members of the audience somewhat.

What I mean was Toy Story 3 was generally made for the kids who'd seen the first one and are now adults/young adults. 'Look that dustbin guy is Sid, you can tell because he's wearing his t-shirt' etc

Yes I get that Pixar were trying to make a film about what happens when you grow out of playing with your toys. But they did it in such a pandering way (to me) that it lost some of the message. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it, but I felt that if they hadn't tried pandering to the audience so much then it might have been better.

American History X is a film that shows what can happen when a young man is angry and latches onto the first thing that appeals to him. Without a strong guiding force to help him. He then realises his actions were not right and tries to stop his younger brother from following in his footsteps by being his guiding force.

Both films are very emotional but because Toy Story 3 was kind of pandering a bit the emotional weight of the film (especially the ending) is somewhat lost for me. American History X's ending shows unfortunately you can't always have a happy ending no matter how remorseful you are and how much you try to change.

I'm going to re-watch AHX again before I vote (or post about it), but I can at least talk about Toy Story 3 with some level of knowledge. I get that a lot of people like the first one more - some even like the second more - but for where I was in life when TS3 first came out, I thought it was a masterpiece.

1.) It showed the growth of Pixar from its very first feature film, to where they were 15 years later. A lot happened in 15 years, both from an animation standpoint, and in the depth of their writing and direction. So much happened between Toy Story and the release of Toy Story 3; we're talking Finding Nemo, the Incredibles, Wall-E, Up, etc. Some of the greatest, most well-done animated films of all time. And then Toy Story 3 comes out as this sort of...cornerstone on the last 15 years of brilliance.

2.) It showed the growth of the Pixar viewers throughout the years. I was 5 when Toy Story came out. It was one of the first movies I saw in theaters (since then I've seen all of Pixar's films in theaters). I was at the age where I played with toys all the time; I may have even had Woody and Buzz action figures, I don't remember. By the time 3 came out I was gone off to college (I actually saw it on the lawn with a few hundred other people). The movie was about more than toys, it was about growing up and moving into a new stage of life. And that the things we leave behind will fall into place, embracing a new generation right behind us.

I'm fully willing to admit that the timing of TS3 lining up with my own personal experience is why I love the film so much. But I can't really remove myself from that. Even so, it's a phenomenal film with a stellar cast, and went in an emotional place that is rarely traveled by animation.

Toy Stories 1, 2, and 3 are all iconic movies. They are all animated movies that will be talked about for years to come. Toy Story Three is the newest of the set, and may even be the best. I think I am going to vote for it based it the iconic history of the series and the amazing quality of this movie itself. Unless you can sway me otherwise.

This pick was very difficult for me as I am a huge fan of both movies. They are pure opposites of the spectrum so its hard to even compare the 2, the only real comparison is both are fantastic films.

I love American History X from beginning to end and it was truly captivating watching Derek Vinyard turn from the leader of a Neo Nazi gang to someone who is trying to right all the wrongs he has done in his life. Near the end it all comes together why he became a Nazi in the first place and it also shows the influence he has on his brother Danny who idolizes his older brother. You get the feeling the only reason Danny is a Nazi is because of his brother and that he really has no real hatred towards African Americans which is what makes the ending so strong and memorable. The wrong guy ends up getting killed and his brother is racked with the guilt that it was his actions that ultimately got his brother killed.

Then you have Toy Story 3, my personal favorite of the Toy Story trilogy and a great capper to a great franchise that made Pixar. Watching Woody, Buzz and the rest of the toys come to the realization that Andy is getting older and has no time for them is a great and heartfelt story. Even though they are toys you really feel what they are going through as in a way it can relate to almost anybody. I'm sure at one point even if only for a day everyone has felt like they are being left behind or feel like they are forgotten, its something everyone can relate to. Watching them break out of the daycare and what they have to go through is truly mesmerizing to watch. Also, the ending watching Andy play with his toys one last time before saying goodbye actually makes me tear up every time I watch it as I've been there before.

I gave my vote to Toy Story 3 for one simple reason; The key to a great film is getting the person emotionally involved and Toy Story 3 did that for me on a level American History X couldn't.

I'm voting for American History X. Simply, because it's one of my favorite movies of all time and it's one of the greatest ever made.

From the emotional plot, to Norton's stellar performance, to the completely disheartening and shocking ending, the movie was a masterpiece. Granted Toy Story III is a polar opposite of this movie and is great on its own but AHX is untouchable to me.

I have no idea how to compare these two in any way to decide which is better.

American History X is a well made but horrific film, I respected it but I can't say I enjoyed it at all, I'd say that actually makes it a success but I'm in no hurry to watch it again.
Toy Story 3 is, in my opinion, the best in it's series and far deeper and darker than it's given credit for. While it does have some depressing themes, it's also entertaining enough and with enough heart to balance the books.
Ultimately I think that's why you have to take Toy Story 3 over American History X. They both go to dark places, only Toy Story pulls you out with a sense of hope.

I've watched Toy Story 3 twice now and neither time did I feel as drawn in as I did when I first watched American History X.

Edward Norton's transformation throughout the film is dam near hypnotic as he goes from a relatively jacked skin-head leader to a meeker shell of his former self. It's the other Edward that puts this film onto another level though, as Furlong is so painfully obviously in awe of his older brother and wants his attention and affection. The hints throughout the film that he's not fully invested in the skinhead ideal on top of his emotional backlash once Norton explains how "it's all bullshit" just make the ending even harder to bare.

American History X for me.

Toy motherfucking Story 3

The Toy Story series might be one of my favorite movie series I've watched because of how much I loved the movie as a kid. And the overall direction Toy Story took hit me and any other Toy Story fan right in the childhood. It took something as simple as childhood toys and gave them life, and connected the audience to the wacky and zany adventures their childhood toys had gone through. I actually found myself crying towards the end of the film. There hasn't been a movie that made me cry like Toy Story.

Toy Story for me.

For my money Toy Story 3 was easily the best in the series. I had my doubts, but every review I read depicted the ending with such a profound impact that it actually left grown men crying manly tears. I eventually gave into the hype, and good lord did it deliver. There's practically no one that wouldn't feel that nostalgia of looking back on all of their old toys with fond memories of a vibrant childhood.

American History X was a wild ride, and insightful on many levels; but it's not the type of film that was so overly hyped that you'd just couldn't help but want to watch it. And when you did it delivered on every level that you just had to add it to your collection.

Voting TS3.

Toy Story 3 is one of the best films ever made, and is good enough to win this tournament. I don't give a shit if it's animated or not, Toy Story 3 is EASILY one of the most emotional films I've ever seen. As good as AHX was (not great by the way) it's not on Toy Story 3's level. Toy Story 3 should cruise through this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back