Rey Mysterio Could've Been World Heavyweight Champion.....

Showtime

It's Showtime!
without Eddie Guerrero dying. Now I'm not saying he didn't become World Champion because Eddie died, Rey got pushed straight to the top because Eddie Guerreo died and unfortunately for him, the title never became about him anymore, it became Eddie's title for Rey to win. The buildup was poor to shit, Rey had to be kindly let back in the main event at Wrestlemania by Teddy Long after losing it to Orton, that just looks weak, but let's get back on topic for a minute.

All signs pointed to Rey being a strong contender to win a World title down the road in 2006. First, let's start at the beginning where he became Tag team champion with Eddie Guerrero. Rey then beat Eddie at Wrestlemania 2005 in the opening bout, a big win. The next night, six men came out claiming they should be number one contender for the WWE championship, one of which was Rey. Being in his home town, Rey was very loudly cheered, but the fact is he appeared serious about winning and of the six, was one of only two winners at Wrestlemania. His match ended with him in DQ loss after Eddie broke a pin Rey had on JBL and beat up JBL. There, first screw job on Rey out of a shot at the title. Rey lost, but didn't actually loss. Rey continued a long feud with Eddie, one that was voted as the feud of the year for Smackdown, which saw Rey pick up every win, everyone a big one, except in the last match, their 5th big singles match. Then next week, Long was prepared to announce a new number one contender and described an individual that sounded very much like Rey Mysterio. Just as he was about to give the name, heel 'head of the network' Carson Palmer took the mic and instead announced that Eddie was the new number one contender. The second time Mysterio got screwed out of a title shot.

I bring up these two instances because you'll notice with many of the people who main event or face the champion at Wrestlemania, that there are instances where they are screwed out of title matches and matches with possible opponents at Wrestlemania. Taker being screwed out of beat the clock where Kennedy instead won and faced Batista at Royal Rumble. Lesner not getting to face Angle after he beat Big Show and promised Lesner a match. Benoit being told by Heyman that he will never receive a title shot and putting him first in the Rumble. Batista being screwed by HHH twice, at NR when HHH blatantly didn't save Batista, and RAW the next day when HHH inadvertently screwed Batista, and Orton won number one contender. Austin in 1999 with Vince repeatedly screwing him over. All these guys were robbed several times of their chances throughout the year, and in the end got them all at Wrestlemania. WWE, it seems, likes to drop subtle hints every once in a while as to who they may be using at Wrestlemania. Obviously plans could change as the year goes on as I have no doubt the WWE does change their minds, but the hints were there. I believe WWE definitely considered Rey being champion before Eddie's death. When I saw Long almost announce Rey as the number one contender, I turned to my friend and told him that Rey would win the title at Wrestlemania. Unfortunately, when Eddie died, no one would've believed that I knew it on that day.

Another thing I'll bring up, is how the WWE, in the past, has given championship reigns to people, not because they are the best person to do it or will necessarily draw in the most money, but because they deserved it, through hard work, loyal years with the company, consistently strong matchs, good mic and promo work. Let's look at a few, JBL, Mick Foley, Benoit, Mark Henry, Chris Jericho (up untill recently, although you may still be able to clump him in here). All of these men possessed some or all of the above mentioned traits, but each lacked something to make them a champion, whether it be strong wrestling skills (JBL, Henry), look of a champion (Foley), mic work (Benoit, Henry), or drawing ability (sadly Jericho). None of them needed to be champions, but Vince gave them it, because they earned the chance to be one. Rey falls into these guys category as well. Rey has had some amazing matches in the WWE. Was generally a strong performer at this time and not nearly as injury prone. He was also a big merchandiser and a huge fan favourite with young children and latinos. Aside from average mic skills, Rey had all the tools to be World Champion... except he was 1 foot too small.

Obviously he wasn't going to be taken outrageously serious as champion, especially if he were to go up against people bigger than him, which is what WWE put him through. They had him loss to Henry and Kahli in non-title matches, because there is no way anyone would think that Rey could beat them. He'd beat JBL, but that wasn't much special. Hell he even lost to Angle in a non-title match by countout in Angles last match. Again WWE, way to make your champion look weak. If they wanted us to take Rey seriously as champion, they should've had him face more people around his size. Obviously bad luck on SD at the time, Eddie died, Angle, Batista, Benoit and Kennedy were hurting and Orton was suspended. Maybe it would'be been better if Rey was on RAW, but with Cena and DX at the time there wouldn't have been much room for him as champion. Still, Mysterio should've been fighting more wrestlers near his own size, Benoit, Angle, Edge, Orton, Kennedy, Shelton, Carlito, RVD, HBK; not Kahli's and Henry's, and JBL's. That is what made his title reign look so poor, that and it being Eddie's and not his...

Rey had a perfect story for a perfect championship reign, a true underdog story. Being the smallest wrestler the WWE had and one of the most deserving of a title reign, Rey could've captured some fans imaginations and made them believe that it really was all so special, that Rey climbed the ladder and earned what he had worked so very hard on and what people told him was an impossibility for his size, the World title. Rey was marketable, loved by screaming kids, wrestled entertaining matches, and could've easily had a suitable title reign with that angle. But then Eddie died and all focus shifted to Eddie and Rey's chase became no more, it was all for Eddie now, and Rey was viewed as just the person who was along for the ride. It is a shame for someone as talented as Rey who's tried to put on the very best show he can for the fans and has given incredible amounts to the WWE. I'm not trying to stir up support for Rey to get another title reign or something, he's had his moment in the sun and that is more than Vince gives to some people. I'm just sick of hearing people complain about his reign and how it was only Eddie who won it for him because he kicked the can. Rey could've been champion and probably would've been remembered as a better champion had Eddie not died. Eddie robbed him of a real title reign to call his own, and now Rey will never win one on his own.

And that is why I strongly believe Rey could've been a World Champion without Eddie dying.

Agree 100%.....I don't understand all the Mysterio bashing because he's been a very solid peformer in the WWE given his stature....I always enjoy watching him perform and he is over with the fans especially the little kids.....It did seem like Mysterio only got the title because of Eddie's death and that's a real shame.

What I would like to have seen happen if Eddie hadn't died was him winning the title at Survivor Series and have a heel Guerrero/face Mysterio match at Wrestlemania...This could have been a historic match especially with two Hispanic wrestlers in the main event at Wrestlemania.....It would be a great story with Rey winning and he would have deserved it for what he has done for wrestling

It's still in the realm of possibility that Rey can win a major championship title.....He can be sent to ECW where he can beat whoever beats Matt Hardy for the ECW Title...It may not be regarded as highly as the WWE and WHC championships but at least he can have that under his belt.

I have to agree as well. Rey is proving today that he's still a big star. He and Eddie together had big matches, that I assure you he didn't get because Eddie carried him. Rey would have been champion but he still wouldn't have had a successful reign, as he simply isn't big enough to make it credible. Rey's best days are long behind him, but even a Rey at say 70% of his old self is still pretty good. He was pushed to the moon by Vince and Eddie had nothing to do with that. Both of them were able to get over on their own merits, and Rey would have gotten where he did on his own, no matter what happened to Eddie.

i think they should give sterio a title run right now....hes a fan fav...hes loyal to wwe...he gets over so so well. him john cena and mabeyy ummmmmmmmmmm orton would make a great triple threat.

No chance, Rey Mysterio WAS a good cruiserweight, however in WWE that title meant nothing which is why it was got rid of. So there is the problem of what to do with Mysterio? He worked as a mid-carder for a few years and that was fine as he steadily built up a good fan base, but the problem with Rey is that his matches are too inconsitant. He has had some good matches no doubt, and he is a tireless worker, but for me there is also something missing. And while his does have a significant and loyal fan base, he doesn't seem to be able to convert the rest of the WWE audience over to him. The Eddie storyline I feel highlights this because it was the only time in his career where he had widespread support throught the fans, when he won the title though, he floundered and the support quickly dwindled. Add this to the fact he is injury prone, lacks mic skills and chairmsa, and struggles to have memorable feuds that lead me to belive he iis/was always destined to be a mid-carder.

rey is going to be a hall of famer. i dont think theres any doubt about that because of the performances he put on. i think vince will give him the strap at least one more time before hes done just for the fact other than cena nobodyss more over than rey

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back