Rewriting 1990, Part 2 of 4: Wrestlemania VI

LODemolition

Championship Contender
WrestleManiaVI.jpg

Actual Results:

Dark Match - Paul Roma def. The Brooklyn Brawler

1. Rick Martel def. Koko B Ware

2. Tag Team Championship: Demolition def. The Colossal Connection (c) w/ Bobby Heenan

3. Earthquake (w/ Jimmy Hart) def. Hercules

4. Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake def. Mr. Perfect (w/ The Genius)

5. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper fought Bad News Brown to a double count out

6. The Hart Foundation def. The Bolsheviks

7. The Barbarian (w/ Bobby Heenan) def. Tito Santana

8. Mixed Tag Team Match: Dusty Rhodes & Sapphire (w/ Elizabeth) def. "Macho King" Randy Savage & "Sensational Queen" Sherri

9. The Orient Express def. The Rockers

10. "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan def. Dino Bravo (w/ Jimmy Hart)

11. "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase (w/ Virgil) def. Jake "The Snake" Roberts by count out

12. Big Boss Man def. Akeem (w/ Slick)

13. "Ravishing" Rick Rude (w/ Bobby Heenan) def. Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka

14. Title for Title Match, WWE Championship & Intercontinental Championship: The Ultimate Warrior def. Hulk Hogan

The main event of this one was electric and the location was a great choice, the Toronto Skydome held nearly 68,000 people. A huge venue was necessary for a match the magnitude of Hogan vs Warrior. Atlantic City, where the past 2 Manias were held, just wouldn't have been able to contain it. Although I clearly wouldn't change a thing about the finale, there are plenty of changes I would make.

Rewriting WrestleMania VI

1. The Big Boss Man def. Akeem (w/ Slick

However, this match wouldn't be one of them. I would make it your opening contest between the former Twin Tower partners, but that's all. Boss Man with a quick win and some revenge on Slick.

2. Rhythm & Blues: The Honky Tonk Man and Greg Valentine (w/ Jimmy Hart) def. The Bushwhackers

For some reason, Rhythm & Blues were left off the card here, but made the famous entrance (driven by the then unknown DDP) in a pink cadillac to the ring where they would perform their "newest hit." The Bushwhackers interrupted, but it should have lead to an impromptu match where Luke and Butch took a clean loss.

3. Bad News Brown def. "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan

Simply put, Roddy Piper deserved a better opponent. Not to mention, I think we'd all agree that having him paint himself half black was a really bad idea haha. I once heard a pretty funny story from Piper about this where he said the paint wouldn't wash off and he had to get on an airplane wearing that stuff.

4. Intercontinental Championship: Jake "The Snake" Roberts def. "Ravishing" Rick Rude (c) w/ Bobby Heenan

As I stated in my Royal Rumble 1990 rewrite, I wouldn't have had the Warrior regain the IC Title at SummerSlam '89, but rather had Rude remain champ up until this point. Jake Roberts is one of the greatest superstars to have never won gold of any kind. This would have been a great opportunity to change that. This way, no tournament would be necessary after the Warrior would go on to win the WWE Championship and vacate the IC Title.

5. "The Model" Rick Martel def. Tito Santana

In another battle of former tag team partners, this one would have been brewing since WrestleMania V, where Strike Force lost the tag team gold. Martel had potential as a midcard heel and Tito would put him over in a great 8-10 minute duel.

6. The Rockers def. The Powers of Pain (w/ Mr. Fuji)

I personally really liked the Powers of Pain and never saw the point in breaking them up. They were not only just flat out better together than apart, but should have been tag team champions at some point. Michaels and Jannetty were feuding with the Warlord and Barbarian around the time of the Royal Rumble. I'd have the Powers of Pain beat them time and again until here where The Rockers finally found a way to overcome them.

7. Andre the Giant def. Earthquake by disqualification

In my Royal Rumble rewrite, I moved up the split of Colossal Connection and Andre's face turn. This way Andre could have his one last WrestleMania match standing on his own again. He had already gotten even with Bobby Heenan at the RR, now it was time to take on the massive Earthquake in a battle of the behemoths. Andre would not be able to put on a classic match by any means, but a memorable WrestleMania moment all the same. Andre gets the DQ win when Jimmy Hart hits him from behind with the megaphone out of frustration. Andre pulls him into the ring and slaps him silly, and leaves to a standing ovation. Definitely his last Mania match, but his last match period? Wait for the SummerSlam rewrite to find out.

8. Mr. Perfect (w/ The Genius) def. Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake

I was a huge fan of both of these guys as a kid, but especially Curt Hennig. Even then, I didn't really agree with Perfect receiving his first pinfall loss before winning a championship. Brutus had a run as IC Champion coming to him at SummerSlam, but the parasailing accident changed everything. Perfect would go on to win the IC Title tournament after it was vacated, so why not keep him undefeated heading into it? Also, I know this was a time when nearly every heel wrestler had a manager, but Hennig never needed one (although Bobby Heenan was a great fit). They threw him with The Genius, Heenan, and The Coach. He never needed anyone to do his talking for him.

9. Tag Team Championship, 2 out of 3 Falls: Demolition (c) w/ Mr. Fuji def. The Hart Foundation

The exact same match they had at SummerSlam '90, just moved up a few months and the opposite result. I liked HF, but absolutely loved Demolition so I would keep the straps on Ax and Smash a while longer before going in another direction.

10. Million Dollar Championship: Dusty Rhodes def. "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase (c) w/ Virgil *by disqualification

I'd throw DiBiase into a feud with Rhodes here instead of Jake Roberts, who deserved an IC Title push imo. DiBiase puts his million dollar belt on the line and Virgil gets involved to help him retain.

11. "Macho King" Randy Savage w/ "Sensational Queen" Sherri def. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

2 legends who always should have had a Mania match together. This would have been the most opportune time, especially in Piper's case as he was definitely misused imo. Savage's feud with Rhodes was also lacking something for me, probably because Rhodes just never seemed to fit in with WWE. Piper and Savage could have had a match to for WMVI to nearly be billed as a double main event.

12. WWE Championship: The Ultimate Warrior def. Hulk Hogan (c)

Not a thing I'd change here, except for it being a title for title match. Hogan gets his first and only clean loss at WrestleMania until 12 years later when facing The Rock in an equally monumental match. Will there be a rematch? You'll have to read the SummerSlam rewrite in part 3 of this series.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment and/or post any changes you would make to this card.

Dark match battle royal with everyone that was on the original card, but not your card. Haku wins.

Again, like some of the ideas but I would have done it differently...

In mine I had Neidhart turn on Bret during his IC title match at the Rumble, so they face off here... Andre's turn happens here too... Neidhart and Haku are brutalising the Hitman after he had stolen the win from Neidhart, Andre comes to join the fray... only he prevents the beating.

We still get the "I'm the F'ing Boss and slap on Andre..." only this time it's defending someone rather than cos they lost the tag titles. Neidhart and Haku become a team while Bret gets the benefit of Andre's pop.

Piper v Savage is a good idea, but I'd go with the straight tag match of Piper and Rhodes vs Bad News and Savage... It would be interesting to see the dynamic of Piper, Dusty and Sapphire and Bad News and Savage as mismatched partners. You can still bring Liz back if you have to as well, a great finish is Liz costing Savage the pinfall and Bad News not being happy about it!

IC Title Match... I'd have Rude face the mystery opponent here... Davey Boy was on his way in by this point so move that forward and have him show up and stun Rude, much as was planned against Perfect at Summerslam until he got hurt and Kerry replaced him. It would also feed into the Hart/Heenan family feud... Hell of a Survivor Series match in that... Rude, Perfect, Neidhart, Haku and The Undertaker (debut takes Andre out...) vs Bret, Davey, Andre & The Rockers

Rest of it can be kept pretty much as is...

I was fine with Andre the Giant and Haku vs. Demolition happening where it was in the card.

WMVI was a long card with nothing much happening between the beginning and the main event (Mostly because the IC Title was also being defended in the main event).

Andre the Giant turning on Hennan was a great way to get the crowd into the event early on.

I probably would have given Savage a singles match. Piper isn't a bad idea but Rhodes would have been a fine opponent as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back