Red Sox redux

Mustang Sally

Sells seashells by the seashore
Last year, I did a topic asking how the Red Sox could go from being a last place team in 2012.....to the World Series champions in 2013.

Now, they're presently in the cellar again. How can this be?

(http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=260581&highlight=)

I'm uneducated about baseball, so forgive me for the statement that last year, it seemed everything broke right for them. No, I'm not saying a terrible team ever winds up winning the World Series, but I never believed they were as good as they appeared to be. In addition to apparently being thrilled that Bobby Valentine wasn't leading them anymore, they seemed to get every break on the field in 2013. Highlights on the New England Sports Channel consistently showed batted balls bouncing in the just the right spots, good & bad umpire calls all going in their favor, and opposing teams always seemed to be facing the Sox when they were in the midst of losing streaks.

Dumb statement? Possibly; it even sounds dumb to me. Yet, how does a professional team go from worst to first to worst without huge changes in personnel?

What am I missing?

To be honest I think it's safe to assume the Red Sox are in the midst of rebuilding. The question in my mind is around who?

Their rebuild will be different than it was after 2012 because there will be more reliance on their prospects. After 2012, they didn’t have enough of them, so they signed seven free agents and hit on all of them to win their third championship in 10 years.

So basically this time around the philosophy has changed.

You’ll only see over-30 guys if they sign Victorino/Napoli types, good players who will accept short contracts. It creates a lot of turnover, but it’s also good business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back