Rd. 1 Submission - Antonio Inoki (JAP) vs William Regal (GB)

Antonio Inoki vs William Regal, Submission Match

• Antonio Inoki

• William Regal

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Antonio Inoki (JAP) vs William Regal (GB)

This is a first round Submission Match in the 2010 Wrestlezolympics. This match will be contested under general Submission Match Rules. The match will continue without pinfalls until a wrestler either taps out or is rendered unconscious by an opponents submission maneuver. WZO Submission Matches are contested under no count-out, no DQ rules, but the match can only end via submission inside the ring.

The match will open for discussion on Monday, January 25th, and voting will begin on Wednesday, January 27th. This is a non-spam thread, so if you decide to post, you must provide reasons why you are backing a particular wrestler. You may vote without posting.

The match stats as a wrestling brawl as Regal trys to throw the kitchen sink at Inoki. It simmers down into Regal trying to stay alive as Inoki methodically takes him apart. Regal pulls a last ditch sleeper attempt to take Inoki down. After almost locking it for the win Regal is taken down with a judo throw followed by a thrust punch to the throat. Inoki locks in the indian deathlock for the win at the 23 minute mark.

Holy sleeper match Batman.

Regal knows submission. Inoki knows a lot of submission. this is going to remind me of the Benoit/Regal Veloity match where Regal came in looking like a total underdog and he put on a classic. I think Regal will, pun intended, stretch Inoki for a good while, but the Japanese Ric Flair will take it in the end.

Dear God this is such an under rated match. I hope people are avoiding it for the sheer fact that they're stumped.

I have loads of respect for both men, but in the end, I have to go with Inoki. Regal was a master at stretching the body every possible way it wasn't designed to go.

Inoki, on the other hand, debuted against and was partially trained by Karl Gotch, one of the great catch-wrestling technicians of all time. Gotch's influence has allowed Inoki to transition from pro wrestling to MMA almost seemlessly. He used the Indian Deathlock and the Sleeperhold for submission victories almost interchangably. The Manji-Gatame, or "Octopus Hold," is an excrutiating and underused torso hold that actually leaves one of Inoki's arms free to balance himself and prevent the opponent from breaking the hold.

Inoki is a dark horse to win the Gold here, and despite how good Regal is and was, he's just not quite on Inoki's level.

Two matches in and I've gone against the British man twice. It's a cruel luck of the draw that the two matches that probably should be semis - Benoit vs Hart and this have ended up being in this round. Anoki was a submission beast, and is world renown for it. Anoki is the king of holds, but Regal is probably just the prince. I'd love to give this to the naughty one, but I can't, he just doesn't have enough in his repetoire.

Honestly, I am so torn in this one. I'll need a ton of convincing.

Inoki is just a master inside the ring. He knows submission and every other means of making an opponent tap out.

Regal is such an underrated technician. His groundwork was basically worshipped in the wrestling school that I attended. We all molded our groundwork from Regal's wrestling style.

Someone help me... PLEASE...

Both are pretty tough guys, as some would say. I'm sure they both know a lot of submission moves that I've never even heard of, like the Walking Taco or something like that. It will either be a borefest or an absolute classic.

However, I have to go with Inoki. I admit that I'm not completely up to date on all of the going ons of Japanese wrestling, but I have heard that he's quite good. Regal is alright, but when has he ever really done anything, like win a significant match? Can't see him going over such a big name here.

Regal is a great worker, but who exactly of note has he ever made submit? I really can't think of anyone that great off the top of my head. Inoki is a legend in Japan and has made a ton of big names submit. I guess Regal puts up a fight but Inoki takes this one fairly easily.

This WZlympics have absolute horrors, and some instant classics. This is a classic match.

Regal is a tough bastard who can take you down in an all out brawl or kick your ass in the technical sense. Not many people can actually transition between the two worlds due to their huge differences, but Regal can. He can find a way to get you and his technical prowess is so astounding its not funny. But, he got the most unluckiest draw for his style in Inoki. As previously mentioned, the only guy to actually transition from MMA to wrestling with an incredible moveset revolving around submissions. So, Inoki is as technically-sound as Regal in this sense. But the difference between the two men is that Regal does not have the fighting experience that Inoki has, in terms of being more articulate in his offense. Sure, Regal is cunning and can knock you out, but the fighting Regal does can be outmatched by what the fighting within the MMA region possesses.

So, while Regal is an excellent candidate for this area, Inoki has a couple more aces up his sleeve. Antonio to win, but just oh so barely.

Poor Regal, he seems like a very intense man when he locks in a submission. However, despite being the best Brit at submissions to make it big, hestill has no shot against a man who has an entire MMA/PW event named after him. Antonio wins it with ease for me.

I voted for Regal, I've always felt that the man was so incredibly overrated when it came to his submission work. Quite frankly, I've never seen the man go full throttle in a puro style match (not sure if he has either) but I'm sure if he did he could hold his own against Inoki. Regal's repertoire is much larger than what is shown for WWE style matches; a diverse and eclectic moveset as innovative and effective as Inoki's.

Both men work very similar styles as well; knowing how and when to take advantage of and exploit a limb or an apendage.

This match is a toss up really, but Inoki seems to have much of the momentum anyway, so I have to represent Regal here.

Otherwise, earlier, I probably could have been swayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back