Rate The Gimmick: Shawn Michaels - Ladies Man

Ferbian

Has Returned.
So, a day late. And it's time for another part of the weekly installment of Rate The Gimmick. The purpose of this thread? If you're a loyal follower, you'll know. However, the purpose is for me to find a gimmick, and for you to rate it between 1 and 10. 1 being awful and 10 being awesome, or however you want to rate 1 and 10 as being.

This week we'll be looking into a kind of odd gimmick for me at least. I had a bit of problem putting a name on it, because it only partially shined through during his earlier career, and only really through his entrance music and entrance as a whole (the dance) in his later career.

Anyway, the man I'm talking about, if you missed the title is:

Shawn-Michaels-WWE-Superstar-1.jpg

Yeah, aging did wonders for this guy, it truly did.

Anyway, Shawn Michaels debuted this gimmick in late 1991 when he adopted the heel moniker of a ladies man, or generally described as a boy toy. Shawn would carry himself like any guy who's a little too fond of his looks would do, during his entrances, as well as during promos. This was something to me that truly added to why I love this character, or Shawn Michaels as a wrestler in the whole perspective.

However, Shawn Michaels was never truly the guy to have a large resume of championships, he is indeed one of the guys to have a long resume of great matches, and his numerous match of the year awards puts facts behind these words.

Shawn performed at the top of his ability, giving what he always said was to be 110% of himself whenever he went out there. Shawn was somewhat of a high flyer, with a mat based grappling ability. Something which was showcased in numerous of his matches with Bret Hart for one, as well as other ground-based wrestler like Kurt Angle and John Cena, all of whom he have history of feuding with, and creating great matches with.

Shawn has feuded with pretty much anybody who is anything in the WWE history books. Or at least since his debut, and if he haven't feuded with the person, you're damn sure he wrestled them once or twice (Roddy Piper to name one).

Shawn eventually went onto the top, for being a small guy that was quite a feature, but it solidified him as quite a legend in the books. Shawn has held pretty much any championship there is to hold in the WWE history, with a few exceptions of later additions or belts he couldn't compete for. However, Shawn quickly rose above the needs for championships, so to say his legacy exceeded championships to the extend that he was legit and a potential winner against anybody, without having their resume.

Shawn's back got injured in 1998, which caused a temporary retirement, and pretty much the "death" of this gimmick. Shawn returned as a better man, he became more of a gods man, however he still sported the same entrance, as well as the same move-set during his entrance, and in-ring battles, with a few additions into the entrance.

And of course, not to forget his numerous stints and large history of being a founder, and big part of D-Generation X's history. Being the leader, or co-leader for the majority of D-Generation X's existence, and pretty much revolutionizing the business in that manner by bringing light to what was eventually to become the Attitude Era.

All of these things, and many more describes the illustrious career of Shawn Michaels. And with that cue, I will leave you guys to rate the gimmick. Remember, 1 for awful, and 10 for awesome.

I remember having an old Colliseaum Video Tape that my cousin gave to me. Had a match I think it was Shawn vs Skinner, and I remember as soon as HBK's music hit the girls went absolutely nuts!!!!!

Then and there I wanted to be just like him, guys can call him a whoopsie and whatever, but this man was an absolute chickmagnet.
Ye, I've read the 3 girl kneeling story....

A Big 10

late 80's to 98, when he had to retire with a broken back = perfect 10.
2002 to 2010, when he returned from injury and then retired = perfect 10.

his mic skills, ring skills, matches and feuds were legendary during both eras. before his injury, he may have not been the best kind of guy outside of the ring, but he was always a great entertainer. plus, it's hard to deny his influence in wrestling with the formation of DX.

during his injury, he became a born again Christian and eventually returned to wrestling. his ring work and mic skills were still amazing, as were his matches and feuds. only now, he was a better man outside of the ring.

an interesting thing about his match of the year winners, of which he has more than a few... some of them to many of them are with other wrestlers that are typically not known for their great wrestling ability.

yes, his MOTY with Angle was good because both HBK and Angle are good. his matches with Bret Hart, Scott Hall and Y2J are the same. but HBK has also had MOTY winners with Vince McMahon and John Cena and Marty Jannetty. none of these guys are typically known for their great ring skills. even Kevin Nash to an extent.

of course, his two final showdowns with Undertaker were epic, but lest we forget, so were his first two showdowns inside Hell in a Cell and the Casket Match.

HBK Shawn Michaels is a perfect 10.

i don't really think it matters which "gimmick" hbk had, i feel that he is the greatest of all time and him and ric flair are in a class all by themselves at the top of the list. the last post was totally right about him having moty with mediocre people. i think hbk could have a good match with anyone (besides khali and goldberg) i don't think we will ever see another HBK.

The Heartbreak Kid gimmick is what transformed Shawn Michaels from a generic high flying Rockers member to a charismatic ladies man that got very over and led to one hell of a singles career. Who could ever forget the memorable heel turn where Shawn became HBk and superkicked Jannetty before throwing him head first through the Barber Shop window. it's one of the most memorable turns of all time in my opinion.

Then came the shenanigans of the Heartbreak Kid and Sensational Sherri. Their crude singing of Michaels theme and just the way they got the crowd to hate them was all wonderfully done. This was also the time span where Michaels worked in the mid-card and was very much a big part of the IC title picture. Putting on great matches with the likes of Razor Ramon in some spectacular ladder matches. This was also where Michaels eventually had Diesel as his bodyguard and the two won tag titles together. Juts his overall cockiness and pretty boy attitude pissed the crowd off to no end during this run.

He also got to test his waters with a face run, anyone remember that one great WWF title run he had? Michaels is a very versatile wrestler as he was able to pull off a face and heel character to a "T". This was why WWE used him in various different roles during his career. Michaels then reverted back to a heel when he and Triple H formed the crude and lewd Degeneration-X. A faction that was so edgy that they ended up becoming beloved over time.

Then eventually Michaels got severely hurt and had to hang up the boots for a few years. Upon coming back he was portrayed as becoming a new man and a man without sins. He had a very wholesome comeback story and it made you feel good when he won his last world title of his career at Survivor Series 2002.

Yes the ladies man element faded as Michael's career went on, but the theme music didn't and it remains to be one of the greatest and most memorable/recognized of all time. I think the original women heartbreaker shtick with Sherri did Michaels a ton of good and it benefitted his career and was what originally got him mega over. It basically was the kick start to a legendary career, and elements of it were played up throughout Shawn's career's entirety. So it should not be ignored and will get a perfect 10/10 from me.

It was an absolute 10. HBK was so easy to hate but yet you had to love him. Bringing a mirror into the ring, singing his own theme song (eventually), right up to posing in playgirl Shawn Michael in the 'ladies man' gimmick was AWESOME. There hasnt been a gimmick he has not pulled off to a 10. However in saying that no one else could have pulled it off, most wrestlers back then were butt arsed ugly and HBK was the sexiest man alive, hell he still is.

One of, if not the greatest, gimmicks of all time. It almost feels ridiculous saying it as it's been said so many times, but in this case, it can never be overstated. Shawn was there through 4 generations of WWF/E and never once seemed out of place. And to think, despite being a driving force behind the birth of the Attitude Era, he completely missed out on the real glory years (apart from a few random appearances) Of course, with that being said, if it was not for that absence we would most certianly not be having discussion now and we could well be having a Scott Hall type conversation.

Anyway, since we are talking about this time period, I feel that it is only right that Sensational Sherri be given a HUGE mention. The "sexy boy" gimmick could only have been the success it was with her there as the other half. She played that part so incredibly well and I would say deserves a huge chunk of the credit for the career of Michaels not only then, but beyond that. She truely was at her very best in those days and doesn't get the credit she really does deserve sometimes.

When I sit back and think about it, it was THE gimmick that carried the company through the mid-nineties and eventually led to the explosion in the late nineties. would even go so far as to say that it may well have to go down as being one of, if not the most significant piece of booking in the modern era of wrestling. From the break up of the rockers, to how they portrayed him initially as a heel with those Heartbreak Hotel segments and then on to the boyhood dream days. Everything about Michaels was genuinely very well done in a time where very little else was being done well. Both Michales and creative deserve credit for that, to preserve a character over the span of twenty five years is no easy thing to do, but they did it. Yeah, you had Bret as the main guy and he did his thing, but when it came down to sheer entertainment, HBK kept the then WWF alive in my opinion. If he had jumped with Hall and Nash, or even earlier than that when Hogan and Savage went, who knows how things would be now.

So,10/10 from me, but not only for entertainment value and how well it was portrayed, but for the importance it had on the entire landscape of the industry as it is today.

its like asking the Undertaker's Deadman gimmic or Austion's Texas Rattler gimmic they are immortal, they divine careers, they are 10/10 and more

Ill rate this gimmick a perfect 10 he help to usher in the attitude era Shawn was one of a kind growing up i wanted to be just like him a ladies man there is only one HBK and there will never be another Shawn Michaels

10/10

HBK is my favorite wrestler of all time i'm only 17 so i'm 2 young 2 really remember alot of his stuff with Sherri and even Diesel but i've watched vids on youtube and i hav all his DVD's and i've even read his book the guy is great I saw his last match at WrestleMania this year in person and it was amazing my first WWE event 2 go 2 and it was Michaels last i really miss the guy but he should stay retired but anyways this gimmick was really cool now please correct me if i'm wrong didn't Sherri come out with a mirror so he could look at him self when he came out 2 the ring and wouldnt he throw her 2 the ground when he did his pose all of this was classic stuff and then u had DX wow now i'm old enough 2 remember his work there i was like 7 and loved everything they did and half the time i didnt even know wat they were talkin bout when they would make sex jokes lol but i do i give it a perfect 10/10

10/10

First, he's my favourite wrestler ever. Second, his gimmick was awesome. I would call his gimmick "The Heartbreak Kid" not "Ladies Man", even though it was. The Heartbreak Kid character, died down after his 2002 return.

I don't really have a logical reason why I would give him this rating, because it's more of a personal reason. HBK was my FAVOURITE wrestler ever. I grew up watching him. He has an attachment to my childhood and that's something I will never forget. If Shawn was not "The Hearbreak Kid" I am SURE that wrestling would be totally different for me.

10/10

Great gimmick. This made Shawn Michaels one of the all time greats. Without this gimmick he would have been any other generic high flier. This gimmick kept him from following Jannetty's footsteps and doing nothing. Shawn Michaels is really the only person I can envision with this gimmick, nobody else could pull it off. He really added so much to it with his smugness and charisma.

By the way, I love this thread series Ferb. A huge pat on the back is deserved for you my man.

I would say a 7/10 for this gimmick. Don't get me wrong, it was a good gimmick and helped HBK a helluva lot but, to me, he really broke away from this gimmick when he went face in 95 and that's when he really went flying to the moon. My personal 10/10 gimmick for HBK was the original DX asshole that he unleashed on the world in 97.

Good gimmick but, when you compare to what he would unleash later on, not as good as he would end up using

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back