Randy Orton at Wrestlemania

Discussion in 'WWE Pay Per Views' started by Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D., Feb 1, 2018.

1. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

Man, it's the same old news with Randy. They aren't really doing anything with him are they? He's been doing nothing of note ever since losing to Jnider Mahal. Then they paired him up with Shinsuke because they really have nothing better for either man, that pairing now seems to be gone.

I hate this, because I'm a huge Randy Orton fan. He was always my pick to end the Streak and I think he was the right guy to do so, all these years, but timing was never right for him.

What would you like to see Randy do at Wrestlemania?

I think he's gonna get involved with Owens and Zayn again. If they are breaking them up, then have one of them face Randy at the big event.
    Owens can finally end his feud with Shane in a Street Fight or something and Sami can face Randy in an amazing match.

2. GOOZEKING

GOOZEKING Getting Noticed By Management

Honestly, unless we are getting Bobby Roode vs Orton at mania. I would actually prefer Orton to take some time off. Atleast until the shake up because I can't think of any other opponents for him to face at mania beside roode.

3. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

I'd rather Orton not even take up a spot at Mania to be honest. Unless they're going to give him something organic and fresh, something that he can actually sink his teeth into, he'd be better off going away until after the PPV. That probably isn't going to happen though because Orton's still one of their biggest stars and thanks to the "RKO Outta Nowhere" meme, has, at the very least, a small amount of public notoriety.

He'll likely be thrown together with a random person a month before Mania in a forced story that'll be dull as all hell. If they absolutely need him on the card, I'd prefer if they used him to put over a newer talent. As poster above mentioned, going up against Bobby Roode in a US title match could work decently well. It would also be a good opportunity to turn Roode as he's a much better heel than face.

4. Pika

Pika Pre-Show Stalwart

He was relevant at Wrestlemania 30 & 31 and had great matches in both. The last mania he had months and months build upon each other in a great story leading up to what was just a really awful pay off at Mania. Then, of course, the awful match following and then the Jinder Mahal involvement with him pretty much made everyone sour on his storylines again..

I'd be really happy to see him just have a good match honestly, but there is so much talent on the main roster that could probably use that spot it is iffy...

You could always insert him into the Nakamura and AJ match which would still be good and then push the Nakamura & AJ finale singles match and possible feud end at Summerslam in the main event. Eh.. I rather that not happen, but I'd be okay with it and understand it at the same time..

He might as well take some time off, because he's been pretty vocal about not liking it unless he is playing a heel or doing something fresh. I'd be into a Heel Orton vs Babyface Styles feud though, but by the time the Superstar Shakeup happens I don't think that'll happen. So it may be better for him to maybe take a rest with Ronda Rousey there and HHH returning, Roman and Lesnar, Strowman, Rollins, etc. There are just a lot of talented guys and girls on the roster and with the expansion of the women's division just this last month there are a lot of great talents that already need to be figured in. Guess you could just throw him in the Andre the Giant match, but even then it'd be nice for a new guy to get the PPV bonus and exposure to the largest audience they'll have all year.

5. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

I can't even imagine the backlash WWE would get if they were going to put anybody, even Randy Orton, into the Nakamura vs Styles match. Although putting Randy in there, would just make the match feel so much bigger.

6. Pika

Pika Pre-Show Stalwart

Honestly, WWE wouldn't care unless it was Daniel Bryan+ level hate (Lol :c) and I do think the match would be great enough that people would totally stop hating it just in the build-up or at least the moment the three put on a great mania match.

It'd give them more time to work on Nakamura as a top level WWE guy and protect him promo wise due to Randy being involved. He'd also feud with AJ after in that hypothetical so he'd be in a relevant program from spring to the end of Summer. Randy would kind of elevate the match from maybe the 2nd or 3rd "Main event" on the card to being worthy of closing the show even if people dislike the idea of Orton these days. Then you know. Styles will do good no matter what.

Edit: Accidentally fantasy booked, R.i.p.

7. Jeff Deliverer of Mail

Jeff Deliverer of Mail Money for nothin, chicks for free
    E-Fed Mod

Have a Heel Neville return and beat the shit out of Randy Orton. Then beat him up again in the hospital. Neville can claim he's the REAL apex predator around WWE. Then have Neville randomly attack people while Orton is kayfabe injured, beating up no names, interfering in matches.

Then at Wrestlemania, have the very best RKO ever, Red Arrow countered into the RKO.

8. Sexcellence of Sexecution

This is why you don't put the belt on a guy when he's 24.

Once you've reached main event status so early in your career it's impossible to sustain yourself at that level. In general, you become overexposed and overused. It didn't hep that for most of the years following that run he was consistently on the top of the card, taking up a lot of time on Raw every week. He had seemingly endless feuds with John Cena and Triple H, which had some good moments but are mainly remembered for length more than anything. It's a shame because when he really hit his peak in terms of in-ring work (around 2012) he was already a stale main eventer.

This problem is made worse with the absence of territories. In the past when a wrestler had burned through all of their best opponents/angles they could leave a territory and go somewhere else. There would be a completely new set of opponents and a fresh audience that hadn't seen the schtick before.

In order to achieve greater longevity Randy Orton needs to completely reinvent himself in the same way that Undertaker did when he became the American Badass, or Jericho did when he dropped the Y2J for his 2008 heel run. Orton could've done this with the whole Wyatt Family story but didn't. And instead the story ended in a fucking terrible disaster, but that's another topic.

A few ideas:

1. Randy Orton is the Intercontinental Title what John Cena is to the US Title. The IC belt was the first championship Orton held in WWE, so it would be cool for him to go after the belt again and carry it like Cena did with the US Title a few years ago. Orton's strength is his versatility as a worker. This will keep him out of the main event and allow him to work with some of the younger guys and put on solid matches. It also makes the IC Title seem more relevant.

2. Randy Orton, Future Killer. Orton's best gimmick was the Legend Killer. It would be fun to see that character flipped around now with something like the "future killer," where instead of targeting famous legends, Orton targets young, up-and-coming wrestlers. The gimmick would basically be a veteran guy that doens't want these new stars coming in and taking his spot. It makes for a great heel character and in reality could help elevate some of these younger guys with a high profile feud. This idea combined with the IC Champion idea would work really well, or you could even have him as the top heel in NXT for a bit if you wanted to keep him active but away from the main roster.

3. Random Tag Team. At some point, almost all top guys take a break from the main event scene and ge thrown into a fun tag team with someone else that is a big name needing something to do. Orton himself did this with Wyatt, but that was, you know, awful. Sometimes this really works out though, like Orton and Edge as Rated-RKO back in 06-07. Booker T/Goldust, Rock N Sock, Jeri-Show, Team Hell No were all great thrown together teams. The WWE has two tag divisions so they need teams. My go-to would've been R-KO with Kevin Owens before the Zayn thing, but now I'm not sure. Honestly, it's a crap-shoot anyways just pick a partner and see what happens. Maybe Orton and The Miz since they were both in movies. Movie star gimmick Orton might be amazing. Might be.

4. Something completely out of left field. Yeah, Undertaker liked bikes in real life and had tats. Him coming out on a Harley to shitty Kid Rock music was still fucking weird and unexpected. Maybe Randy has some other idea for a radical character change that you could go with. At this point, might as well try something.

@smarkmouth likes this.
  9. d_henderson1810

d_henderson1810 Mid-Card Championship Winner

One person I have not seen Randy Orton feud with yet on SD Live is Kevin Owens.

It could be billed as "KO versus RKO".

10. The Life Of Pablo Ren

The Life Of Pablo Ren I know my name/avi/sig don't match.

KO/Sami is probably most likely. Whether it's in a singles match against one or the other, a handicap match or a tag with Shane.

Ziggler and Corbin are possibilities... even Roode.

And honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they threw him into AJ/Nak just because they didn't have anything else for him. Sure the backlash would be huge but they have to put him somewhere and without getting into fantasy booking territory, the list of possible opponents is VERY short.

11. Spencesc11

Spencesc11 Getting Noticed By Management

I think this would be the best setup for Smackdown side of Wrestlemania Card
    (Orton in a Fatal 4-way for the US Title)

1) Styles vs. Nakamura (World Title)
    2) Shane/D. Bryan or Jericho vs. Owens/Zayn
    3) Roode vs. Ziggler vs. Rusev vs. ORTON (US Title - Fatal 4 Way)
    4) Charlotte vs. Asuka (Women's Title)
    5) Uso's vs. New Day (Tag Title Ladder Match)
    6) The rest of the men in the Andre Battle Royal

12. stingray11214

stingray11214 Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie

Do you really want someone who basically phones it in at this point in his career in a match at Mania? He has made millions of VKM. He should have been fired numerous times on Wellness. He is so stale at this point that if he was a loaf of bread, you could dent a car with it. At this point, if Randy REALLY gives a damn about his career, which is suspect, mind you, he would let his contract run out, and then go to New Japan. Go the Indy Circuit for a bit. I would love to see Orton vs. Okada, Orton vs. Omega, Hell, I'd even would like to see Orton vs. Rhodes at WK13. Randy Orton would make more money than the Young Bucks on the Indy Circuit, and we would get all the "dream matches" we could handle. That is if he gave a damn about his career.

But, will I care if he is at Mania? I do not care if he is on Superstars at this point. I definitely DO NOT want him in Styles vs. Nakamura. That is for damn sure.

13. sMark

sMark Getting Noticed By Management

And there, boys and girls, you can see the main problem of today's WWE - big names, who crowd doesn't care about anymore, but who "need" to get a match on the big 4. As result, these big 4 PPVs lose alot in match quality.

14. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

After the year he's had he should probably be used to add a little star power to the battle royal. That's where he deserves to be. Most likely he'll get something with Owens and Zayn. Possibly teaming with McMahon.

Whatever it is, it'll be uninspiring.

X likes this.
  15. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Randy Orton wouldn't make half the money he makes in the WWE if he went to NJPW. Plus he has a part-time schedule with the WWE, which he wouldn't have in NJPW. So, no, Randy cares about his career. You're basically asking a 38-year old veteran wrestler to leave the comfort of the WWE to go wrestle at a lesser promotion. OKAY THEN.

Crowd doesn't care anymore? Yeah that crowd didn't care at all when he RKOed Nakamura out of nowhere. It definately wasn't the pop of the night. No, no.

Randy Orton deserves to be on the Andre the Giant Battle Royal. What else am I going to hear? Instead of using his star power to elevate a young guy, like Zayn, no no, let's throw him on the meaningless battle royal - a 13 time world champion, 2-time Rumble winner, MITB winner, former IC champion and one of the best company men WWE has.

Whatever you three are smoking, I want it, too.

16. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

It's nice that Orton is loyal to WWE, a company that pays him very well for little in return, but he's hardly deserving of a prominent spot just because of past accomplishments. Zayn bearing Orton wouldn't mean much currently because Orton is just hanging around, coasting.

stingray11214 likes this.
  17. stingray11214

stingray11214 Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie

Eventually that will have to come to an end. We are not talking about Undertaker here. We are talking about someone who is where he is because of who he is friends with in the back. Not because of his popularity.

Look at what Jericho did. By wrestling Kenny Omega, he made himself MORE valuable because he brought more eyeballs not only to NJPW, but probably brought some BACK to WWE. Orton cannot, and probably will not, reinvent himself within the confines of WWE. However, if you think New Japan won't give Orton Okada-type money, you are insane. Orton is way ahead of Cody Rhodes. And, Orton could probably command $20K an appearance on the Indy Circuit. Add that to keeping all merch money, and getting accommodations and airfare paid for (Which WWE probably does), Orton could prove even MORE valuable to WWE after reinvention.

Right now, he is spinning his wheels.

18. THTRobtaylor

THTRobtaylor Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist

This is where he pretty much gets relegated to the Andre The Giant Battle Royale - right now there really is no standout feud for him and no way to easily shoehorn him into one.

Realistically the match options are:-

Baron Corbin - Could work with Corbin's "violent" streak lately being somewhat reminicisent of early Orton. Would damage Corbin to lose however so pointless unless Orton is losing.

Dolph Ziggler - Retirement Match/Loser Leaves WWE - I am fully on board with the idea of Orton needing to leave for a while and have said so for the last 3 years. This might be a realistic payoff to the Ziggler "walkout" and also subvert expectations. Orton losing a retirement match would be as shocking as Taker losing in some ways, especially to Ziggler.

6 Man Tag - The dreaded 6 man spot could also beckon. It could be interesting to see Orton and Mojo Rawley interact, but not as enemies... if they can get Gronk along then a 6 man involving Orton, Rawley and Gronk vs Jinder and partners could work.

Mojo - For the same reasons above but have Gronk on the side of Rawley at ringside... It'd be an interesting wrinkle as the celeb is normally with a face.

Other than that I think you're detracting from the show to use Orton in other matches... Rusev probably on balance deserves a one on one US title match at Mania again and a 4 way is just going to dilute the benefit to he and Roode. We've seen Orton v Jinder already and Owens/Zayn should really be facing off there.

The only other possibility that could work is involved with Shane and Bryan in some way - Perhaps if Orton wins, Bryan is allowed to wrestle again... but even giving Shane a match this year is going to the well too often.

The grim reality is that Orton is really "lost in the shuffle" right now along with several others... which is scary when you think both he AND Bray could struggle to get on the show when they were wrestling for the title a year ago.

19. Hakushi

Hakushi Kensuke "Jinsei" Shinzaki

I thought I had seen it reported that he was taking time off until after wrestlemania. Personally, i hope its true. He's never been a favorite of mine and they have more than enough talent tip fill that card without him. I'm not sure what they would do with him at this point anyhow.

20. sMark

sMark Getting Noticed By Management

At this point Orton, Big Show, Kane, Bray Wyatt, Baron Corbin, Dolph Ziggler, Rhyno, Heath Slater, Jason Jordan should all be in Battle Royal. They deserve a payday, but not a giant spotlight on them. WWE roster have all the talent, and this talent deserve a WM spotlight much more than the guys above.
    I'll also like to see a little shakeup after WM, with Alister Black, Ember Moon, Jeff Hardy and The Miz going to SD, Baron Corbin, Mysterio and Kairy Sane going to RAW. Show , Shane and Kane retire and Orton going to NXT, Orton could be a huge asset there, reinvent himself and return in 2019 RR match, while on the main rosters he does nothing and only cost time. But this is a whole other story.

21. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

As he has done almost nothing this year of note, put him in the ATGBR if he shows up. After last year's debacle with Bray Wyatt, I'm not fussed if I ever see Orton at Mania again. And I like Orton.

22. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

As a fan, I'd love to see this. No shit. But, I don't think this is something Orton would do. Of course you never know what can happen, but to me he looks like a guy that enjoys his comfort zone rather than someone who is a risk taker.

23. #hamler

#hamler Trending Worldwide.

This is the best idea I've probably ever read on these forums. Seriously dude, bravo.

When wrestling fans want a heel turn it's normally cliche and lacks originality. While that's the case for a number of stars, Orton needs it to freshen up his character more so than anyone else and what a fucking brilliant way to do it. It's the perfect excuse for Orton to feud with a handful of up and comers like Baron Corbin, Rusev, Finn Balor, Elias, a returning Big Cass or especially a Universal Title program with Roman Reigns. Orton is great at making others look good whenever he decides to give it his all. With changing his character to the "Future Killer", I could see him giving it a bit more enthusiasm as he's said time and time again, he enjoys being a heel just a bit more.

As for a Wrestlemania program, that'll be a perfect time to debut the new gimmick all the while turning into a ruthless yet cocky heel he was before. I like the idea of him being in the Battle Royal. I'd have him target a number of youngsters eventually losing out to Finn Balor or Elias. Then RKO the victor as they pose. It's a great way to liven up a character that most people seem to be bored with. Orton is still a big name in the WWE so he should be utilized in a pretty prominent role.

24. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

This idea sounds wonderful on paper but there's one big problem. I don't think it has longevity. So Orton is going to be a heel, the Future Killer, going after young guys. But in order for the gimmick to become legit, Orton needs to find some young guys to beat. So in reality what you have here, is Randy Orton becoming something like Brock Lesnar, an unbeatable heel. Because, the gimmick needs to have some strength behind it, right? He needs victories.

And here's the problem. He's just going to beat fresh talent and talent that you are looking at to become the future main eventers.

And then, all of that will end until the big young babyface emerge. The one that will beat Orton and end this future killer gimmick.

So in reality, all of this, benefits one guy, the guy that will beat Randy or to put it better, the guy that Orton will be unable to defeat.

However it's a great idea that could provide some interesting TV and I think can lost easily at least 6 months and maybe if they book it nicely.. a full year. But that's about it.
    It needs some long term booking, as you need to find the sacrificial lambs, those who will lose to Orton and of course the chosen one, who will finally beat the Future Killer.

25. Vanilla Midget

Vanilla Midget Registered Suplex Offender

Randy Orton is most likely turning heel to take on Nakamura at Fastlane. They made these two a team and Orton was one of the last six in the Rumble during the now and then confrontation.

Orton makes sense as an opponent. They’re likely to not go full heel, but there would be better momentum if Nakamura beats someone a bit more despicable. Obviously, Shinsuke could just as easily face the loser or Owens vs Zayn, but they have been building to a confrontation with Randy.

So Orton turns heel, what then? The most interesting thing they’ve done with Randy’s character in recent years was the Wyatt angle. Joining the Wyatt family looked good on paper, but the execution was unbelievably ham fisted and the payoff was so meh.

The challenge is that there isn’t much Orton hasn’t done. He won his first world nearly 14 years ago, and has never spent a significant time away. He’s certainly running the risk of basically being a strictly serious version of Kane or Big Show. A veteran who’s done it all and gets his occasional failed world title shot before floundering in the upper midcard.

Orton isn’t such an institution that they can’t take risks with him unlike his counterpart Cena. They’ve turned him heel many times. Given the rumoured Mania card, it seems very unlikely that he finds a spot on the card other than the battle royal, which seems crazy given he’s Randy Orton and he’s a first ballot hall of famer.

It’s quite possible he teams with Shane to fight Kevin and Sami, which will most likely be the case if WWE doesn’t clear Bryan.

If he does turn heel again to fight Nakamura, what happens at Mania? Roode needs a opponent. Hopefully some elements are added to his character to make it different then what’s come before. That’s really an overall WWE issue; the stagnation of the rarely ever evolving character.

They should take a risk with Orton, because there’s really nothing that they have to lose. He’s not soley depended on as a draw, he’s pushing 40 and he’s a big name. I’m not suggesting they change his name or anything ludicrous, but there’s more he could be doing. He’s a guy who could recover form a misstep, but will fade into the background if he stays the same.

He’s never been a US champ, he’s been a tag champ but generally just to further singles feuds. I’ve always wanted to see Orton and Cena have a tag title run, but this isn’t the time.

The best use of Orton at Mania is putting over young talent. Bobby Roode is 3 years older than Randy, but his WWE career is comparatively.

Randy Orton is 37. He’s younger than Sheamus who debuted 7 years after him. Why not do something interesting with Orton? Sheamus has reinvented himself as a tag specialists in The Bar, why not do something interesting with Randy?

#hamler likes this.