QF (20) Grand Theft Auto III v (12) Metal Gear Solid

?

• GTAIII

• MGS

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
256px-GTA3boxcover.jpg

v

252px-Metal_Gear_Solid_cover_art.png

I loved MGS, but for some reason, maybe it was the useless and over the top violence, but GTA 3 just grabbed me and I loved playing it, I could play that game all day long with only bathroom and food breaks, where as MGS, while I could play it a long time, I had to take breaks and do other things.

I never really got to grips with Metal Gear Solid.

I say I never really got to grips with it because, I never really got any enjoyment out of the first one. I was really young when it came out and I was too young to get the whole stealth thing, I just wanted to run and gun all the time. The point was, I don't think that ever left me and I am just completely underwhelmed when I play any of the MGS games. Don't get me wrong, I do like the games but MGS 2 was probably my favourite of the series and MGS doesn't deserve to go over here.

GTAIII is one of the best games on the PS2 and really was such a popular game. I had never seen anything like it when I started playing it and I enjoyed it tremendously. GTAIII had the mix of everything that makes anything a good game but it had an enthralling and fun storyline to go with it. I swear if I see another screen with Snake's face on it and some other random guy talking about random bullshit, I will flip out for the full 20 minutes that it is usually on for.

Ahh... Metal Gear Solid. How many fucking hours did I waste trying to defeat you, because I was too fucking stubborn to buy a Strategy Guide or get help from my friends. But, I must admit, I did have fun trying it. It was really a great game.

With that said, however, it still doesn't come anywhere near being as good as Grand Theft Auto III was. In no way, shape, or form was Metal Gear Solid better than GTA 3 in ANY aspect. GTA was more fun. playability lasted much longer than something like MGS, you could continue to enjoy it after beating it unlike MSG, and GTA impacted the gaming industry much more than MGS did. It's really no competition here for me. GTA 3 all the way.

GTA 3 gets my vote here as well. I'm quite shocked it's currently losing 10-5...maybe I should go initiate another vote-rigging, eh Lee? :p

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Metal Gear Solid, and it was a game that really opened my eyes to the possibilities of video games as an art form when I was a kid. Snake? Come on man, is there anyone more badass in gaming history?

But GTA 3 is simply a better game. There's a reason it revolutionized the business and everyone and their mother had a copy; it was a whole new kind of game. There had been non-linear sandbox styled games before this (Shenmue comes to mind), but none really captured the feeling of real life that GTA 3 did. It was so fun just to go around and do whatever you wanted; explore territory, snipe cops, do car stunts, throw molotov cocktails at the homeless people inside the tunnel! Oh man, no game has ever taken up more of my time then GTA 3. I still play the game a few times per year and try to run through it once a year. It's not my favorite in the franchise (that honor belongs to San Andreas), but my god if it isn't a great fucking game.

I'm sure there will be a ton of people voting against it though because they consider themselves too intelligent and sophisticated for a game like GTA 3. These are the same people that have no problem murdering people in MGS, just not police officers and hookers please! Fuck off. *****es.

Vote GTA 3. Immediately.

So, what you're basically asking me is this; who would win in a fight to the death? Gangsters or spies? Don't lie to me, Lee. The obvious answer is spies. The correct answer too. Unfortunately, I'm still not voting for Metal Gear.

Metal Gear isn't a bad game. Arguably, it's not even worse than GTA3. Shit, it's a great game - otherwise it probably wouldn't be here. I'm gonna still vote GTA3 though.

Simply for the memory of my friend bringing around his launch PlayStation 2, me being confused as to where you plug the controllers and memory cards in and then us wasting a couple of nights away blowing shit up and mowing over old ladies on GTA3.

I have similarly fond memories with Metal Gear, but only really enjoyed it when other people were playing it. It had some real clever touches. Like the boss you had to switch controller ports to defeat because he could predict your moves.

GTA started something special for Rockstar. True, they already had the foundations with GTA 1 and ". But the moment they took it to 3D, people were buying Playstations just for Grand Theft Auto 3, which in turn led to Vice City, then the pinacle of ps2 gaming, San Andreas.

Metal Gear was good, but it wasnt an open game in the style of GTA. You had a linear storyline, without many sideplots(and the only replay value was for the invisible suit"

Metal Gear Solid. I felt the character development was awesome in MGS. Who doesn't think Solid Snake is the baddest ass to ever walk to video game plannet? I sure do. Then we have Tony, your regular gangster, climbing in the ranks of the gang world. I never had the patience to actually finish the game, because after the first two islands, it got very redundant, very fast. MGS is just bad to the ass, all the way.

Hmm, seeing as the score is 13-13 yet Milk was the only one that argued for MGS shows that some people are just trying to vote GTA3 out of the tourney. The whole GTA series is just incredible, and while GTA3 may not technically be the best, it is still very good. Any video game with senseless violence is going to be a hit. Gangsters are certainly more fun than spies, so GTA3 gets the win here.

I was actually quite a fan of both genres, but I opted for MGS because I enjoyed it more as a game. I know GTA3 did a great revolution for a new game play but MGS was one of the biggest games on the PS1 to date. A stealth action number that got you thinking about your moves, go in all guns blazing or sneak it out. Granted like GTA3, it wasn't the most polished but it took the PS1 to the limit for what it could do.

You got such a brill hero in the form of Solid Snake and a thorough backstory dating to the original Metal Gear games and then expanding onto the PS2 and 3 with the sequels that did the same thing on their respective consoles.

Plus how can you not love the music, one of the best themes (although more polished for the later games)

[youtube]/v/uDMgoUrQaj0&hl=en&fs=1&[/youtube]

Plus, this game did spawn this awesome cartoon parody, only watch if you are wanting spoilers for those who haven't played it

[youtube]/v/eY8DZwV-XQ4&hl=en&fs=1&[/youtube]

[youtube]/v/NHHzQ1CCqts&hl=en&fs=1&[/youtube]

I gotta admit playing both of these games today wouldn't be too much of a treat, both have far superior sequels. Excellent games of their time no doubt, GTAIII pushed the whole sandbox movement and MGS moved the espionage stealth genre. I had loads of fun with both of these games and you really can't compare gameplay as both of these games offer different gameplay. When it comes down to it for me I look towards the future of what these games have done as well, and I gotta say even though GTAIV was awesome sadly for GTA one of my top 5 games of all time is MGS2. The story alone of the entire MGS saga conquers GTA, Hideo Kojima is seriously one of the best writers the video game industry has ever seen.

As a whole I enjoyed MGS over any GTA, even to this day I haven't completed GTAIV I just never got gripped enough to it to finish it.

Vote goes to Solid Snake

I'm a sucker for games like Metal Gear Solid. Something I love so much about America's Army is the strategy involved, and how you can use your mind to defeat your opponents rather than straight brute force. Take the Escape and Evade drill for the Special Forces training for example: You are dropped off in the middle of a forest, sort of in a ravine, with guards all over the hillside and in towers along the way. You have to make your way from your starting point to the extraction point, and if you're caught, you start over. It's extremely frustrating because it's hard and you can't beat it the first try. It takes at least an hour to do it (on average). The same thing goes here. You have to think to play the game, and just be incredibly sneaky and intuitive. I like Grand Theft Auto games, but GTA3 didn't provide me the same enjoyment that San Andreas did, or even Vice City. It was good, but as I stated in a previous round, I hated the shooting system on that game with a passion. It was easier to aim on Golden Eye than on GTA3. My vote went to Metal Gear Solid, quite obviously. Vote for the Thinking Man's game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back