PS3 Network, Hardrive down

Sully

Pre-Show Stalwart
Around 8pm, millions of PS3's went offline, giving user an Error message, and not allowing them to sign online.

Here's what's going on right now: something with the PS3's internal clock has borked in some pre-slim models. This is not a PSN issue; it has to do with your PS3's clock. This clock is NOT related to the OS clock. It seems to be a leap year bug. Setting your clock ahead will do nothing. All PS3s around the world were affected at the exact same time.

Does this affect me?

-If you have a Slim PS3, you're good to go. Continue playing it as normal.
-If you have a "fat" PS3, you may be affected. Some fat PS3s have worked ok, but it seems a good majority have been bugged.

What does this bug mean?

-If affected, your date and time has been set to a random past date. This prevents you from signing into PSN, playing any PSN games, or using any DLC. Your trophies will also not display correctly or be able to sync.

How do I fix it?

-You can't. Even if you don't sign into PSN, it won't help. This is a hardware issue.

So, what do I do?

-Wait 24 hours. Other products that have had similar bugs have corrected themselves after the "bugged" day. On Monday around 6pm central time, all PS3s will automatically correct themselves...maybe.

-If that doesn't work, we'll need a firmware update from Sony, which should be a pretty important priority for them right now.

Did I lose my data/themes/etc?

Your save data/games/dlc/themes are fine. They'll be fixed when the PS3 is fixed. Trophies are uncertain right now, but they'll be fine if you've synced them before the PS3 was bugged. Unsynced trophies are an unknown right now.

My apologizes, I accidentally clicked enter while typing in my title, thus making my post go ahead, and I wasn't able to quote the second half. I already had the message typed, but Wrestle zone signed me out while I was making it, and it wouldn't go through after submitting my post. Therefore I had to retype it.

You could probably figure out more of whats going on in the second half, but to break it down,

After Canada vs. Usa hockey game, giant ps3 bug hit majority of users where logged off, couldn't sign on, got error message, had time set back to 13/31 1999, and had their trophies unrecognized.

If you go to: http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/bd-p/ps3

You can see some discussions of angry ps3 users, all you would have to do is basically click on ANY topic, and it's more then likely being discussed.

I'm sorry if my two posts seem sort of "sloppy" I had it all out, before I had to retype the message. :/

I'm glad that I have a Xbox 360 and not a PS3 right now.

Haha, I'm wishing I had an Xbox right now, but at least ps3 has free internet. But I still don't want to be disappointed when I payed 500$ for my console.

It's not effecting the "fat PS3" models that aren't backwards compatible. Which is what I have. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to my NHL 2K10 franchise....

Something that should help. It sucks, but there are plenty of other things to do in life than play on the PS3 (online)

Apparently the PS3 clocks, not within your own unit's calendar, decided that leap years occur every even year (2006, 2008, etc.) and added a 29/1 for them, with every odd year (2007, 2009, etc.) going correctly. But, the PS3 individual units conflict with the other source and for some reason doesn't compute.

So, in essence, the affected PS3's that 2010 is a leap year, which it isn't. All slim's are fine, but the fatter ones are stuffed up. It should correct itself when the 2/3 hits, otherwise Sony will have a patched update. Changing the clocks don't do anything.

Oh yeah, you guys reverse your dates. When Aussies say 2/3, it means the 2nd of March, not the 3rd of February. So, the issue should be corrected on the 2nd of March hopefully around 6am central time. Otherwise, they should have an update for it.

That's technology for you.

Oh yeah, you guys reverse your dates. When Aussies say 2/3, it means the 2nd of March, not the 3rd of February. So, the issue should be corrected on the 2nd of March hopefully around 6am central time. Otherwise, they should have an update for it.

That's technology for you.

So tomorow? Damn. I gusse it's not too bad, not like it's the end of the world, I was just really looking forward to headshoting some noobs on Call of Duty.

As an owner of a PS3 and XBox, the one day discomfort of this issue I'll take over the 2 months it takes to ship my 360 off after it gets the RRoD.

As an owner of a PS3 and XBox, the one day discomfort of this issue I'll take over the 2 months it takes to ship my 360 off after it gets the RRoD.

Exactly. I can live one day without my PS3. My buddy has a 360 and he has had to ship it back 3 times in the course of a year or so because of the RRoD. My other friend also had that problem and had to send his back. He eventually sold it, as it was just too frustrating to deal with. I'll live and I really don't play mine too often, so it doesn't really affect me.

It's back up now, not sure when it happened. Probably around when Falkon said (6pm-8pm), but now I can finally go back to playing some call of d- Son of a bitch...Raw is on.
images

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back