Predict the G1 Climax 27 Field

Papa Pillman

I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
At tomorrow's NJPW Kizuna Road show at Korakuen Hall, the promotion will announce the competitors for this year's G1 Climax.

In recent years, the company has announced the entire field, the blocks, and all of the match-ups in one fell swoop at their Dominion event, but have changed that strategy this year, waiting until tomorrow to announce the participants and waiting another week to reveal the blocks and card scheduling breakdowns.

With a few hours left to guess, I thought it would be fun for the New Japan followers here to play a game of predicting the participants before Gedo unveils them to us all...

Firstly I think, even with the injuries to Shibata and Honma, there are more than enough regulars/semi-regulars from the company to make this year's field. If any outsiders are cast for a role, I'd guess there's a slim chance that a NOAH guy could be brought in considering they're in deep debt to NJPW with Shiozaki being the most likely option; an All-Japan guy is also a slight possibility with the two companies seemingly building a relationship through the Lion's Gate events(but I have no clue who it would be); and I'd say Rush from CMLL is the most likely if someone from this hemisphere gets a spot(with an ROH guy like Lethal or Castle being an acceptable longshot as well). With that out of the way...

I'm guessing for two ten man blocks, so here are my twenty:

Okada
Goto
Ishii
Yano
YOSHI-HASHI

Omega
Cody
Fale

Naito
EVIL
SANADA

Suzuki
Sabre, Jr.
Smith, Jr.

Tanahashi
Elgin
Juice

Nagata
Kojima
Makabe

I think they will follow the precedent set from last month's BoSJ and leave the tag champs out of the mix, costing Tonga a spot, giving an excuse to not give one to Roa. I'd love to see Tiger Mask W(Ibushi) get a spot, and it's a decent chance that he will but I'm expecting to be letdown. I'm not expecting anyone who has been booked basically exclusively as a junior to be involved so no chance for the likes of KUSHIDA or Hiromu. And the numbers game I think bites Yujiro who has been a yearly fixture recently, as his spot is gobbled up by stablemate Cody(though if Cody's Wrestle Circus booking does end up costing him a spot, I think that either Tonga or Yujiro get his place to maintain more Bullet Club presence).

If any of the other guys I have mentioned do take a spot, I'd say the most likely guys to lose a spot would be one of the New Japan Dad's(Nagata or Kojima), and then likely Yano(though he's over and his shtick provides a change of pace, his lack of ability to have traditionally good matches could make him expendable plus the CHAOS representation would still be strong), Davey Boy Junior(though returning to booking him on the eve of the tour, as well as a need for SuzukiGun guys, indicates a strong chance he will be included), or as I previously mentioned, Cody, due to a potential booking interference.

I'd love to see who other fans that are educated on the happenings in New Japan think will make up the list of participants, so drop those predictions here!

Also, I'll add on to this thread a second round of the game once the official list has dropped, where we can use the week provided to predict the blocks once we know all of the wrestlers that the promotion has selected to compete.

What I hope is that Okada and Omega are in different blocks and don't face each other. Same for Naito & Tanahashi.

Expecting a solid performance from Cody in terms of results. Can't predict every wrestler since I don't know much about them.

Ibushi is better than having him masked as Tiger Mask.

Fingers crossed about not having Omega and Okada in the same block. Not sure why Cody isn't included.

Block placement will be very interesting. The way I see it is, the top 4 in the company are Okada, Omega, Naito and Tanahashi. This naturally means two in each block.

The two biggest matches they can do are Okada vs Omega 3, and Okada vs Naito.

So that means Tanahashi and Okada in one block, Omega and Naito in the other right? BUT I don't think they would have the two top champions in the same block. Also I don't think Tanahashi vs Okada will happen again as it did last year and ended with a draw.

So that would mean New Japan would have to give away one of its two money matches. The question is, which one?

Ultimately Naito and Omega are the favourites to win, so I'd like that to be the final. One can argue Okada vs Omega 3 is too soon.... But do we want to kill the mystique of an Okada Naito bout, it being so long since they've faced one another? On the other hand... Naito and Tanahashi have had plenty of matches against one another.

Ultimately, I would like Kenny to be in the same block as Okada, beating him and setting their record to 1-1-1 . Naito beats Tanahashi in his block, redeeming his Dominion loss without titles changing hands.

Then in the final, everyone will think "Ah, Omega vs Okada rubber match to end the feud!" then BAM Naito wins.

New Japan is so fun to speculate about! There is NOTHING on this level of booking complexity and unpredictability in WWE, I guarantee it!

You can't compare these two matches. I'm not saying that Tanahashi isn't talented like Omega but NJPW has gotten a ton of appreciation just by the first match between those two. And second match draw was an icing on the cake. Putting it as a tournament match would be wasting the trilogy.

Everyone wants Naito to win the G1, so it's probably not happening. When was the last time that the people's favorite won? Omega was not the favorite last year. He came out of nowhere for the victory. He wasn't AJ Styles.

My money is on Okada. Because why ruin the perfect year?

Okay...

Does anyone want to throw in last minute Block predictions??

Here's what I've got:

Okada
Tanahashi
Goto
SANADA
Fale
Elgin
Makabe
Sabre, Jr.
Yano
Kojima

Omega
Naito
Ibushi
Ishii
Suzuki
EVIL
Juice
YOSHI-HASHI
Tonga
Nagata

My suspected blocks for the G1 based on this list of names is. One block will have:

Okada, Naito, Goto, ZSJ, Fale, Ibushi, Makabe, Elgin, Tacos and Kojima

The other will obviously have the rest:

Omega, Tanahashi, Ishii, Suzuki, Nagata, SANADA, EVIL, YTR, Tama Tonga and Juice.

The only possible switches I think in my lists would be Kojima and Nagata. Possibly Tama Tonga and Makabe as well.

Okada Vs Omega 3 in blocks is insane. It is going to be night 18 main event. Matches with dates are announced at the third Kizuna Road event. Which is tomorrow. Tanahashi Vs Naito will get that 5* match that they have been having on the nights of the 6*s

YTR vs Suzuki is going to be hilarious to see happen since the last time they met, YTR won. Tanahashi vs Fale is going to be another great match watch for the upset depending on if it is the main event or not

ヒュー G. レックション;5714255 said:
Thank you, fuck you, bye BITCH!
Not sure what you mean. But I still abide by my statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back