Phoenix Region, Miami Subregion: First Round: (4)Ricky Steamboat vs. (29)P. Orndorff

Who Wins This Match?

• Ricky Steamboat

• Paul Orndorff

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The following contest is a first round match in the Phoenix Region.

This match takes place in the American Airlines Arena in Miami, Florida.

american_airlines_arena2_920_medium.jpg

#4 Ricky Steamboat

dragonsteamboat.jpg

Vs.

#29 Paul Orndorff

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

No brainer for Steamboat here.

It's widely known that Steamboat is one of the greatest workers of all time. I will go out on a limb and say that if someone were to build and construct a perfect babyface wrestler, they would be Ricky Steamboat. The man forced every one of his opponents to step up their game and improve themselves in the ring. He was a former world champion and was a favorite opponent of all-time greats such as Ric Flair and Steve Austin. As Flair said on a WWE DVD once, the only flaw in Steamboat is the fact that he was never a heel. If that's his only negative, I'd say he's superior in this matchup.

Paul Orndorf feuded with Hulk Hogan for a while. That was his claim to fame. Yup, that's all.

You be the judge. Vote Steamboat.

Totally Steamboat. He is a great worker and, as he shown 2 years ago, hasn't missed a beat. No doubt Steamboat is the better of the two,and to be honest the only reason Paul is remembered is for his fued with Hogan.

GO STEAMBOAT!

Definitely Steamboat. He's amazing in the ring, had the right amount of charisma, and always put on great shows. There have been former wrestlers that rant and rave on how good of a flow they had in the ring with him, and it's easy to see. Also his recent return was a great way to finish out his career, and he showed that if he wanted to come back and wrestle Ric Flair style, he could have. Paul is a strong guy, but he just doesn't have what Ricky had in that ring.

Vote goes to Ricky.

Steamboat all the way, and it's a no contest.

Steamboat is one of the all-time great in-ring performers of professional wrestling (up there with Randy Savage and Shawn Michaels). He had a phenomenal 5-star match with Randy Savage at Wrestlemania 3 that overshadowed Hogan slamming Andre to the mat. His bloody feuds with Ric Flair/Four Horsemen and Steve Austin has made him an legend and knows the business.

Orndoff.... I got nothing... I guess his feud with Ace can be worth something... and that feud with Hogan... yeah that's it...

My vote: Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat

Steamboat, probably. Orndorff is being undersold a little bit here, his heel turn was a huge moment in the 1980s, and I think he's being overlooked on the basis that he was soundly beaten by Hogan in the resultant feud. That being said, he didn't get the job done, and the absolute definitive face that is Ricky Steamboat would probably get the win over him in their final, most important match. What's more important than the first round of a fictitious tournament? Nothing, that's what.

Orndorff was an amazingly entertaining heel who is definitely not receiving the credit he deserves. With that being said, he's no Ricky Steamboat.

Minus mic work, Steamboat is better in every aspect. He's had more memorable matches than Paul, stuff people still watch to this day and mark out for. I like Paul, a lot, always have, but Steamboat goes over.

Paul Orndorff at least makes this match interesting. But it is a pretty severe beat down in my opinion.

Steamboat can and has wrestled circles around Orndorff. Orndorff had a solid physique and was a strong guy, but in no way does he match up with "The Dragon". I think Ricky gets him in about every category there is to match up in.

One of the easier votes for me, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat.

Someone post me a picture of Ordorff with a single's title that's worth a damn and I'll change my vote. No? Ok then.

This is the most dangerous man in the tournament, folks. Steamboat is as resilient, tough, and as athletic as anyone in this entire tourney. He's beaten them all... and he's beaten most of them at their peak. Savage? Check. Flair? Check. That alone tells me Steamboat can hang with anyone in this tournament and Orndorff doesn't stand a chance. At his peak, he wasn't good enough to have a SHOT at the Intercontinental title. Steamboat won the belt in one of the greatest matches in wrestling history.

Orndorff wears out Steamboat for a few, then chops and a high cross body finish off Mr. Wonderful for the win.

What a great match. Did this ever happen in the WWF in the 80s? I would have loved to have seen that. Given Steamboat's reputation I know I shouldn't be surprised by the voting, but I am. I figured Steamboat would win this without a problem but only two votes for Orndorff is a little surprising. I can't criticize anyone because I voted for Steamboat too. I just think the vote differential doesn't do Orndorff justice. If someone who wasn't familiar with either wrestler were to look at this poll they would assume Steamboat was light years ahead of Orndorff. That's not the case. I voted Steamboat but the decesion wasn't an easy one for me.

If men as great as Ric Flair praise Steamboat as one of the best they have ever been in the ring with, then that is good enough for me.

Ricky Steamboat had the charisma, the physique, the looks, and the phenomenal in-ring talent to be one of the greatest babyfaces of all time. He should have been the WWF champion in my eyes, and even a couple of years ago in his match with Chris Jericho, he still performed to an extremely high standard.

Orndorff has the strength advantage in this one, but his accomplishments pale in comparison to those of the Dragon, who would undoubtably come out on top in this match. If there is any justice in the world, Ricky should go far in this tournament

I agree with The Brain. Orndorff isn't getting the respect he deserves. Steamboat is truly a legend in every sense of the word, but Orndorff was a very good heel. Sure the Hogan angle is all that's remembered, but I would argue his promos were better than the Dragon's and his workrate (for a big man) was almost on par with Steamboat (and yes, I know, Steamboat was great).

Have to go with Steamboat, but wanted to get the point across that Orndorff deserves a bit more respect than he's getting.

Steamboat no way to go another way.

One of the best workers of all time. He was still able to go with Chris Jerico at like 60 years old, thats a gift right there.

Briefly feuding with Hogan is no way enough for Orndorff to get past Steamboat.

Steamboat has consistantly been able to amaze wrestling fans when he steps through the ring. From Randy Savage to Ric Flair in the Dragon's prime, to when he returned to the ring many years later against Chris Jericho at WrestleMania, Steamboat has always shown that he is one of wrestling greats.

Steamboat pretty decisively in this one. Back in the day, Ricky Steamboat was an awesome competitor. His ability to go in the ring was far greater than Orndorff. Hell, I thought he still looked decent for his age when he entered the ring with Jericho a little while ago. Orndorff, in contrast, did very little to impress me in particular. I am not suggesting that he wasn't any good, I am merely saying that he was no dragon. In the end, it is Ricky Steamboat who actually the one of these competitors who was wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back