Phoenix meets Fozzy

Phoenix

WZCW's First Triple Crown Champion
I wrote this last night as a blog entry so I'm just going to post it here. Ask any questions and I'll be sure to answer them if I can. I will say I'm off to see Alter Bridge later so I might not reply straight away.

------------------------

When I woke up yesterday morning, I was full of excitement and nerves as I was going to be meeting up with one of my favourite bands, Fozzy, today in a VIP access session of their 2010 Let the Madness Begin Tour in Margate, the last part of the UK segment of the tour. Once I was up and ready I made sure I had everything needed, paypal slip, my albums, Jericho’s autobiography, camera with batteries charged, everything was all set and ready, until I reached my departing station to realise I had no memory card in my camera. So far my day reached a setback, but while I had the Fozzy classics playing in my head as I searched for a card once I reached Margate, things were looking up, had a some trouble finding the venue, only for a huge tour coach to be sitting in front of my eyes and locating the events of my day would take place.

Once I plucked up the courage to get there, I met up with fellow Fozzy fans R and L (for security reasons), along with VIP manager Anne and Videographer Wayne, we made some friendly get togethers and talked about our previous Fozzy experiences while being documented for the DVD of the tour. Once we got taken inside, things started to fall into place as within five minutes of arriving, I shake hands with bassist Sean Delson and wished him a happy wedding anniversary which occurred the day before. We got some quick hellos from Rich Ward and Billy Grey as they were going back and forth between the coach and the arena, even a couple of quick glimpses of Chris Jericho occurred, this day was to only get better.

Once all the final details were sorted and everyone had gathered, we more or less had the freedom to do whatever we want as long as it didn’t impede or interrupt the set up of the show. Naturally it took some small steps of courage to finally start wondering around and getting our cameras out to snap away as everyone did their part in getting things together, along with hearing the beautiful solo from Freewheel Burning by Billy who apparently hadn’t even done this at all during the tour, so that was a treat. More interaction between fellow VIPers, Anne and Wayne took place as I never felt so comfortable in a high profile situation, everyone was so polite and free to talk. And hearing different stories were amazing, it was fascinating that the main people surrounding Fozzy during this tour love British Culture, especially our comedy, score one for us. We even got into discussion about the football dilemma and I actually managed to provide an insight that people didn’t know about which was how football and American football became the way they are.

Once things were steadily moving, we got more formal introductions to Rich, Sean and Frank Fontsere as they came to sign pictures, albums and have some photos, I tell you now that Rich Ward was one of the most polite and respectful people I have ever met, which sadden me that I would only see him for this day only for now as I could probably talk to him all day about stuff. He kept thanking us for being here which made me feel so happy to be here because he truly respects the fans and I certainly respect his music and song writing. We got treated to a sound check by Fozzy minus Chris which itself was a private session for us, getting to appreciate the music so much more in a great sounding space that wasn’t drowned out that you find at gigs, it was the music of Fozzy that was given to us.

Dinner arrived in the form of Chinese and Chris Jericho emerged to give his greetings and this is where discussions really got nice as everyone gave room for people to speak and no-one was left out, I was talking to Rich and fan R about tattoos and the importance of meanings to the person it carries which Rich and I both believed in. Sean and I discussed about British Culture further and how he almost ended up living in the UK with his wife who originates from here, I asked Frank about his big inspiration which he would get back to me about but things got rushed to find out. Naturally wrestling was brought up with Chris and I only asked about a particular match which I saw 9 years ago and if he recalled it and he did somewhat, which was William Regal hitting him hard with a trophy. Though Chris and the others took an interest in the history of Canterbury, a city he’s never been to, so I gave a quick insight and even discussed about the Canterbury Tales and how 14th Century English is certainly worth the read, especially when ‘grabbing by the quente’ (female gentialia, though it was hilarious when Chris thought I meant grabbing a guy by the balls). There was a discussion about how Paul McCartney had an interesting view of Fozzy from a visit to Liverpool. On the subject of football, Chris and Rich’s visit to see a Manchester United game was discussed, their analogy of comparing a stadium full of home and away fans to an ant hill was an interesting one. Further talks included about how music and computer games were so respected and simple 20 years ago but it’s now all digitised so children of this age won’t respect a good old vinyl album because it’s all about ipods and mp3s, while also computer games were so simple that it wasn’t about graphics and knowing twenty different buttons but a rather simple controller with having just skill to try and beat your game such as Pac Man or Super Mario Bros, though Chris said he liked Guitar Hero where Rich admitted after trying it once that it’s never truly like real guitaring. Some more talk about Fozzy experiences came up where we talked about the London gig I attended earlier this year, being front row and interacting with Sean, which he managed to remember saying he thought I looked familiar, that really meant something to me, along with admitting to Chris that I was nerdy enough to bow to him to get a wave back, as well as the ‘F**k my mum’ chant!

More autographs and photos followed, this time with Chris involved, my albums and book were covered which was a nice full circle, I got a quick chance to say how much I do enjoy Fozzy music and having a nice perk of being told by Chris that he likes it when he sees fans with all the albums, made it nicer to tell him back that I played them at work sometimes along with telling him their version of ‘The Prisoner’ is much better than Iron Maiden, yes I said it, even Anne worded it that Fozzy gave it a fresh remastered feel. More photos followed before I got taken towards Wayne with Rich who introduced me as Pilipino from the Island of White, which was black and white, completely dull and that this was my first time away from there, the fact I played along to the point that I could have just as well been Pilipino got full respect from Rich which is where I felt he did become more than an idol but a friend to me.

After some final photos, we got some quick embraces in before we got back to the main arena where the warm up acts were in full tow, we missed the first group, but get got treated to Death Valley Driver who been with Fozzy this tour and the previous, such good energy from them once again and I need to start listening to them more, with enough respect from the support band you know you need to branch out better. The third band, name escapes me, were just as great, everyone put over the vocal skills of the female lead singer and they didn’t disappoint, not to mention she was gorgeous. As they were doing their last song of this tour, they got intruded by a somewhat familiar looking group of bandits with shaving foam and silly spray, I’m sure it was all in good fun.

After setting up was done, the 5 VIPers had mostly seemed to regroup again at the front of the stage which for this one, no barriers blocked it, meaning fan interaction was on the cards. Chants of ‘Y2J’ and ‘Lets go Jericho’ from the obvious wrestling fans were drowned out by the Fozzy collective responding with ‘Lets go Fozzy’, this was a habit that was maintain throughout the night and it really did serve some justice that there are true Fozzy fans out there rather than people who know only Jericho. Enter Fozzy who were red hot as always and this was the pieta a resistance of the day, much like London, this was insane, only so much more bigger due to the smaller space. I literally was standing in Rich Ward’s breathing space and I was so happy to be there, with my fellow VIPers we did get special attention at times from all members of the band, it really did make things special; from Rich poking us with his guitar or getting in our faces as we sing the lyrics to Sean doing similar with me directly to relive the moments from London, the fact that when ‘Eat the Rich’ started playing we did exactly what we did last time (we pointed at each other during the chorus repeats) just made this gig so dear to me, the fact that both my London and Margate experiences are so much more connected because of those small touches. The extra bonus was the interaction from Chris, he would do the usual slap hands throughout to the fans, but with VIPs, he saved special lil ‘punches’ and shoulder grabs and making some awesome photo poses. But the one thing that again made the night special and he did not do this for anyone else, during ‘Crucify Yourself’ he pointed the microphone at me to give me a moment to sing part of the chorus, now this gig is beyond the insanity and awesomeness that it was already, this gig was 100 times more because where this was a VIP experience, I was actually treated like one the whole day, how many people can say they had that experience with any of their favourite bands? I would expect that to be rare.

The whole audience were just brilliant and behind Fozzy insanely and they deserved to finish up the UK part of the tour with this night, this was their night and I am definitely certain this will be inspiring more of Fozzy to appear on tour inbetween their busy schedules. We were treated to a majority of the new album while the classics such as ‘Freewheel Burning’, ‘Eat the Rich’ and ‘To Kill A Stranger’ were included, they got the order just right for this because the final song they played fitted with what the fans wanted to end on ‘Enemy’ and that was such a finale that the support acts, everyone felt connected and involved, Fozzy got their wish in ending the UK part of the tour. The end saw Frank throwing out his drumsticks (one did hit me unintentionally), getting thanks, handshakes and hugs from Chris, Rich, Sean, Billy and Wayne, the fact my legs could barely move, my ears heavily ringing (and still are at time of writing) and just getting through the adrenaline rush just made the finish great. I promised to keep in touch with Anne and co as we did bond well, we said our farewells and best wishes as we headed off in our separate ways, my night was complete…well almost, the day had other plans as I just missed my train I needed, so had to splash out for a taxi, which wasn’t too bad but just that I had to spend it out was a downer given I spent about 10 times less than that to get there.

All in all, for a VIP session, a first too, it was worth every penny spent and every memory gained. If there’s one thing that tonight certainly did more than anything, it further solidified my status as a Fozzy fan, I was a huge fan of them before this day, but I finishing it loving them more than ever and they deserve all the respect, credit and thanks they deserve. Would I do it again? Hell yes! Now while I enjoy going through the images and clips I got, there’s only one thing left to say and that is THANK YOU CHRIS, RICH, SEAN, FRANK, BILLY, WAYNE, ANNE AND FELLOW FOZZY FANS, you made my day a real special one which nothing can take any of it away and I appreciate the time and effort you guys put in, your respect from me is endless. Take Care guys and hopefully see you all again, looking forward to the tour DVD!

That is so cool. It's great to know that Jericho and Fozzy are nice guys. You hear so many stories about celebrities being jerks, so it's refreshing to hear about some that aren't. Glad you had a good time; maybe I'll try and do something similar someday.

I'd definitely recommend it Doc. Just finally emerged after Alter Bridge last night, I am officially worn out, especially ears ringing wise.

But if the opportunity ever arises for VIP stuff Doc, I seriously recommend it, all you would do is think what if.

1. That experience sounds like it was amazing.

2. according to Chris Jericho himself (via Twitter), the name of the band that you didn't remember was Sym Cult.
Chris Jericho on Twitter said:
Stellar gig last night in Margate.great end to the UK run! All the bands came onstage for Enemy and we shaving creamed Sym Cult at the e ...

Dave, I will be honest to you about this. If time wasn't restricted, I literally only got to meet Chris for about thirty minutes which had eating, signings and photos, literally he was scheduled tightly that evening, I would have rung you or got Chris to record a message for you, I do apologise that I couldn't.

But when I get my pics on Facebook, you'll see some great examples of how good the night was.

1. That experience sounds like it was amazing.

2. according to Chris Jericho himself (via Twitter), the name of the band that you didn't remember was Sym Cult.

Cheers, I can check them out.

That's awesome, I meant to go see them when they came to Sheffield but I had to make a choice between Chris Jericho or Scroobius Pip. I stand by my choice.

Dave, I will be honest to you about this. If time wasn't restricted, I literally only got to meet Chris for about thirty minutes which had eating, signings and photos, literally he was scheduled tightly that evening, I would have rung you or got Chris to record a message for you, I do apologise that I couldn't.

But when I get my pics on Facebook, you'll see some great examples of how good the night was.

Dude, that would have been the single best thing to happen to me. Jericho is an icon and sounds like a great guy.

Still, I can't wait to see all of the pictures and I am glad that you enjoyed it.

Thanks Guys :).

Dude, that would have been the single best thing to happen to me. Jericho is an icon and sounds like a great guy.

Still, I can't wait to see all of the pictures and I am glad that you enjoyed it.

They're on my facebook right now, but I'll show some here:

With Sean Delson, the bassist
73456_597699136821_284001337_5272061_925478_n.jpg

Frank Fontsere, the drummer
67382_597699176741_284001337_5272064_5692788_n.jpg

Rich 'The Duke' Ward, seriously, he is a real nice guy
33687_597699246601_284001337_5272066_7458294_n.jpg

Wayne, the videographer, again another nice guy, and Billy Grey, second guitarist.
72565_597699081931_284001337_5272059_5484270_n.jpg

I became the new bassist (Sean was missing)
73264_597700139811_284001337_5272117_4804947_n.jpg

Duke during soundcheck
66577_597699625841_284001337_5272090_5395166_n.jpg

And then at the gig
65930_597700404281_284001337_5272128_961485_n.jpg

I needed to comment in here you lucky bastard! Very awesome and I am very jealous. Plus I saw the rest of them on your facebook.

As said, it was an absolutely blast and if another chance to do this again comes up, I'll be doing it for certain, they all were fab to hang out with. I just want to see what the Tour DVD looks like when it comes out.

These videos from their tour gives you the impression of what hanging around with them was like.

What's up guys

I'm WAAAAYYYY late to this it looks like, but I'm trying to connect with as many people that we encountered on the Fozzy tour as possible

My name's Jack, and I'm the drummer of the 2nd support band on the tour, Symphony Cult

I noticed that you saw Chris' Twitter post saying 'Sym Cult', but that's just him shortening the name due to the 140 character restriction on there ha ha

Pheonix, awesome to read your account on the Margate show. The whole tour itself was absolutely incredible, and the crowds were so awesome themselves. We made some good new friends in Fozzy and DVP, so hopefully you'll see more of us together in the future - who knows? Margate was a perfect end to the tour, absolutely rammed and electric...And even to this day I'm still picking out bits of silly string from my drum kit!

Anyways, hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread - I just wanted to say thanks for writing about the show, and that if you wanted to, you can check out Symphony Cult at http://www.facebook.com/symphonycult, http://www.youtube.com/symphonyculttv - and also you can see our music video here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiZ8UXeevf8

As you were, people!

What's up guys

I'm WAAAAYYYY late to this it looks like, but I'm trying to connect with as many people that we encountered on the Fozzy tour as possible

My name's Jack, and I'm the drummer of the 2nd support band on the tour, Symphony Cult

I noticed that you saw Chris' Twitter post saying 'Sym Cult', but that's just him shortening the name due to the 140 character restriction on there ha ha

Pheonix, awesome to read your account on the Margate show. The whole tour itself was absolutely incredible, and the crowds were so awesome themselves. We made some good new friends in Fozzy and DVP, so hopefully you'll see more of us together in the future - who knows? Margate was a perfect end to the tour, absolutely rammed and electric...And even to this day I'm still picking out bits of silly string from my drum kit!

Anyways, hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread - I just wanted to say thanks for writing about the show, and that if you wanted to, you can check out Symphony Cult at http://www.facebook.com/symphonycult, http://www.youtube.com/symphonyculttv - and also you can see our music video here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiZ8UXeevf8

As you were, people!

:lmao: I remember that bit, I saw you didn't look too happy with how your drum kit turned out from these bandits here:
66634_597700299491_284001337_5272123_681570_n.jpg

But I was impressed by you guys, I will check out more of your music, thanks for the links.

Good thing this thread got revived, someone who was at some of the gigs, including Margate filmed some video clips and put them on youtube (still need to sort mine out). Anyway, found this clip when they sang 'Crucify Yourself', at 1.05, Chris points the mic at a fan to sing a line, that's me! (as referenced in the original post)

Ah no I thought it was hilarious - Once I actually realised what was going on i couldn't stop laughing. Once we finished i went straight to the back and gave Jericho and Frank a quick hug to try and repay them a bit, as I was so covered it went all over them too

Those glasses that Chris wore for the invasion were the toy spy glasses you can get, with mirrors in the corners as well...just a little bit of info for you ha ha

It's not public knowledge yet, so I can't go into too much detail - But we will be involved with Fozzy in one way or another in the future. I can't say in what way yet, but keep your eyes peeled!

Nice one! I was checking out your stuff on your channel and I was impressed. If you ever need a photographer for promotional stuff, I know a few guys nearby who can assist there as well.

Just finished editing my videos from the trip and uploading to youtube atm, will be a while as it's in HD.

Cool video!

That reminded me, I think we got a couple of parking fines parking the bus there that morning. Had to get moved across the way after that

But that definitely showed how great the Margate gig was - Great energy from every one (bands & crowd) that night

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back