[Official] Team UK / Great Britain Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Wrestlezolympics '10' started by Lee, Oct 21, 2009.

?

Who Represents Team Great Britain?

1. Davey Boy Smith

2. Dynamite Kid

3. William Regal

4. Rowdy Roddy Piper

5. Mick McManus

6. Big Daddy

7. Giant Haystacks

8. Fit Finlay

9. Nigel McGuinness

10. Chris Adams

11. Dave Taylor

12. Paul Burchill

13. Doug Williams

14. Brutus Magnus

15. Rob Terry

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

Well research before posting your lists. You've also missed of McManus a guy who was only ever beaten twice in his career. The fact is this seems apparent that the non British posters are literally just picking the first five British wrestlers they can think of, which to be honest I think is a pile of crap.

2. Bozzaholic

Bozzaholic Pre-Show Stalwart

I can't believe guys like Giant Haystacks & Big Daddy are being used in the same breath as The Dynamite Kid. DK is the be all and end all of british wrestling! beyond him (and by quite a stretch) you've got guys like Davey Boy, McManus & Doug Williams

Major props for the mention of Jody Fleisch. I'm a massive fan of Jody and spent more then one afternoon traveling to Broxbourne to watch him and the rest of the guys in the FWA.

3. Leeds Guy

Leeds Guy Retired Former WZCW EurAsian Champ

I agree 100% with this. I also think this will be like the actual Olympics in which Britain will win Fuck All unless its female swimming/Cycling or Rowing.

These 5 picks give us the best chance to at least go down with some sort of fight though.

4. spinningtorturerack

spinningtorturerack halfnelsonfullnelsonwilli enelson

I have been looking at the events and i reckon someone like giant haystacks would be good for the street fight, because of his size he could take so much punishment and he is a dirty fighter anyway which would only be useful!

Also you'd be hard pushed to eliminate him in the battle royale so I think he would be better than big daddy. Big Daddy is too clean cut!

5. ckoneagain

ckoneagain Pre-Show Stalwart

I agree, i think we should be fighting dirty, i mean if the competition is Keyfabe then that's the only way we'll do well coz USA wrestlers seem to think they're all indestructible, but can get beaten by under-handed tactics, which lets face it, isn't beneath us, either that or just pummeling your opponent into submission, think us brits would do that well too

6. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

The Final 15 Nominees:

Davey Boy Smith
    Dynamite Kid
    William Regal
    Rowdy Roddy Piper
    Mick McManus
    Big Daddy
    Giant Haystacks
    Fit Finlay
    Nigel McGuiness
    Chris Adams
    Dave Taylor
    Paul Burchill
    Doug Williams
    Brutus Magnus
    Rob Terry

*special thanks to Lee for putting the 15 together for me!

1. Each poster may vote for THREE WRESTLERS.

2. If someone votes for more than three, all of their votes will be disqualified.

3. Think before voting. Once you hit the submit button, there is no changing.

4. The wrestler with the highest vote total will be named captain.

7. Gelgarin

Gelgarin Gentleman of the Old School

Rob Terry... seriously? I think I'm going to just mentally replace him with Pac, who is a tremendous talent in spite of the massive natural disadvantage that come from being from Newcastle.
    I saw him live with Dragon Gate the other week, and his nickname of "the man who gravity forgot" is well deserved. Possibly if I'd pair the slightest attention he'd be on the list, but everyone is going to vote for William Regal so I guess it doesn't matter.

Anyway, my other votes go to Big Daddy, for being the most successful British wrestler of all time (and being somewhat old school I guess) and Dynamite Kid for being generally awesome.

8. thewrestlinghero

thewrestlinghero Pre-Show Stalwart

This sucks that Johnnoy saint is not on here. But I voted for

William Regal good techicanl wrestler he would be a good technical wrestler for the team.

Fit Finley
    good brawler and can be good also for iron man matches.

For the third I really couldn't decide. Between Dynamite Kid giant haystack or piper so its tossed up. But I hope regal gets in this thing.

9. Leafy

Leafy Getting Noticed By Management

I choose Nigel, Davey Boy, and William. These three represent the different styles of wrestling and these men excel in these areas.

Nigel can be a young all around wrestler that can also get hardcore when he wants to. Davey Boy is one of the best powerhouses in history and is agile as well. And lastly Regal is an amazing technical wrestler. These men would be an unstoppable force and would represent England well.

10. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

I went with Regal, Nigel, and Big Rob.

Regal has been around for a long time and is a great worker and Sam thinks he's the greatest British wrestler of all time.

Nigel has quickly become one of my favorites in the last few weeks and he was a solid ROH Champion.

Rob Terry looks freakin' sweet and is just overall a cool guy.

11. X

X RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM

Lol Team Britain? I didn't think there were even enough wrestlers to fill that quota. I guess when you take into account Ireland and Scotland though, that gives us Roddy Piper and Finlay.

My votes went to Nigel, Davey, and Dynamite Kid. Everyone should vote for Dynamite Kid, and he should be the captain of this entire team. He's the single greatest wrestler to ever come out of Great Britain, hands down. Don't believe me? Watch his battles with Tiger Mask and try to argue otherwise.

Nigel was another easy choice as I've been a big fan of his for several years now, and Davey was another easy choice considering he basically is THE face of wrestlers from Great Britain. You've got everything you need with those three-- power, speed, technical prowess.

This team is going to get destroyed in most events though. Unless Dynamite is involved. If only Dynamite could compete in every competition for them.

12. SavageTaker

SavageTaker Everybody Has A Price!

I voted for Dynamite Kid, William Regal, and Roddy Piper.

Dynamite was an easy choice. He is a great wrestler that has had some great matches all around the around the world in big promotions like the WWF, NJPW, AJPW, and others. Some of his best matches have been against opponents like Tiger Mask, Bret Hart, and others. He definitely deserves to be on this team.

Reason I voted for William Regal and Piper is because they too are great wrestlers that have had some pretty good matches throughout their careers.

Team Great Britain isn’t a bad team, but I don’t think they’ll have much of a chance because of the amazing wrestlers they have to face from Japan. There’s also Team USA which has some pretty good wrestlers. So I definitely don’t think they’ll beat either of those two teams. I’m not sure about the other countries though.

13. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

When you take into account...Britain!

I haven't been paying attention, what are the events? Is it a kayfabe thing? If so then Big Daddy wins the whole thing for Britain on his own, unless there's a speed based event then Dynamite can fill uhis role.

I don't watch the Olympics by the way, but it's mostly running and strength based events, right? I know it revolves around wrestling matches and not Olympic events, but whatever, I don't actually know what I'm on about.

Lee likes this.
  14. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Big Daddy, as he will win any match he's in. EASY EASY EASY. Dynamite Kid would walk onto just about any team, he's like Bret Hart with added steroids and flying skills. The last guy I've picked is William Regal, but I probably should have gone with Mick McManus. Also, to be pedantic, this is team UK, not team Great Britain. Finlay is from Northern Ireland, which isn't in Britain.

Mr. TM likes this.
  15. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

''Two Irelands, what the fuck! Is that like New Mexico and Mexico Mexico?''

Tastycles, please, we're dealing with Americans here. We should be thankful they know that England doesn't soley make up Britain.

I voted Big Daddy, Dynamite & The Bulldog.

16. Lee

Fuck you.

I voted for Mick McManus, a guy only beaten twice deserves to be in, add to that Big Daddy because he's fucking huuuuuuuuuge and then I think I went with Regal because I'm a big fan of his and his old school feel is that damn good.

And what is it with people not thinking Scotland is in the UK?

17. ckoneagain

ckoneagain Pre-Show Stalwart

dear lord, please can you clear this up for everyone, that scotland is part of great britain, so is wales, and northern ireland and so is southern island, southern island is the only one of those that isn't part of the united kingdom as great britain an the unite kingdom are two different 'areas'. Phew, now i've got that off my chest, right, i voted for Giant Haystacks as he is massive and a fighter that will do just about anything to win, i went for regal because he is technically sound and been a badass since day one of his career even if his 'character' doesn't always portray that. And lastly i went for Dynamite Kid as he's quick and technically great and makes up the missing aspects of a fully rounded team that the other two may be lacking, ie speed and agility...

18. Lee

Great Britian is actually England, Wales and Scotland, the UK classes Norn Iron and for this tournament we are classing ROI too. It's called team GB as that's what the olympic team of the UK is classed as. Seriously, some people!

I can't believe people are voting haystacks of Mcmanus, Haystacks was big that was it, he once lost a knock out fight to big daddy in 5 minutes. That's saying something about how shit haystacks is. Mcmanus was beaten twice ever.

19. Xtreme_Animlas2314

Xtreme_Animlas2314 Pre-Show Stalwart

I like the way the Britain team is coming along but it really depends on the members. I like the British Bulldogs team, and William Regal. The last two slots are interesting though. I like to see Fit Finlay, Dave Taylor, or Doug Williams to be apart of this team. I have feeling it won't happen.! Riper is a great talent and I think he would be better team captian then Davey Boy Smith or Dynamite Kid. Piper has better mic skills then anyone besides Regal. I ended up picking Piper, Fit Finlay, and Doug Williams. I know as of right now Fit or Doug don't have a chance but they have a better chance to win if they were on the team I think.

Two team option:

Davey Boy Smith, Dynamite Kid, William Regal, Rowdy Roddy Piper, and Fit Finlay or Doug Williams

or

Davey Boy Smith, Dynamite Kid, William Regal, Fit Finlay, and Doug Williams

Either team would be excellent to me but I guess we will have to wait to see though.

20. Lee

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Those from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland [plus those from EIRE] I appeal to your very fabric.

Nigel McGuiness is currently double the votes of British legend Big Daddy. What's more interesting is that of the 14 votes for McGuiness only two were cast by British posters.

Those of us who are British know of Big Daddy, we know he trained Regal, he trained Taylor, Davey Boy and Dynamite kid....but nope the Americans have heard of mcguiness so vote for him.

Guys get behind our true British wrestler and make this EASY EASY EASY

21. X

Have you ever actually watched one of Big Daddy's matches? It's more boring than watching paint dry on a windy day. Nigel is about three thousand times more exciting to watch, which is likely why he's gotten so many more votes. Big Daddy, for all of his training legends, accomplished little in his career. Now that I've checked on it in fact, Headbanger Mosh has won more titles than Big Daddy has. About five times as many. Headbanger Mosh.

Big Daddy is a solid vote for the team, don't get me wrong, but don't hate on Nigel. Nigel is a better wrestler than Big Daddy could've ever dreamed of becoming.

Oh, and Big Daddy had almost nothing to do with the training of Davey Boy and Dynamite. Davey Boy and Dynamite were both trained by Stu Hart in the dungeon, maybe Big Daddy taught them a wristlock or two. Almost all of their training was done in the Dungeon.

22. Lee

Big Daddy trained them before they had even gone to the dungeon. Everyone's seen the video of 15 year old Davey Boy in a tag match, his partner was Big Daddy.

So what if you think he's boring as hell? He's a staple of British wrestling and DESERVES to be in this way more than McGuiness.

23. X

Having someone as your tag partner does not equal training them. That's a rather outlandish assumption to make.

Both men were trained in the Dungeon Lee. They wrestled before that, but the bulk of their training, and where their ENTIRE skillset came from, was Stu Hart. To claim otherwise is revisionist history at it's worst.

Why? Because the Queen liked him? Sure he deserves to be on the team. So does Nigel though. I don't see how you can argue otherwise.

24. Lee

No not because of what you read on wikipedia, it's because if you ask anyone in the UK to name a British wrestler they will give you one of four:
    1) Bulldog
    2) Big Daddy
    3) Mick McManus

Those who watch WWE will also say Regal, but as a whole those three are the three that the average Joe of the British public would say otherwise.

Partnering a guy when he starts wrestling is showing him the ropes IE basic training. I do know that the bulldogs were trained at the dungeon but the basics were done by Big Daddy in WOW.

25. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

That is completely bullshit. Nobody, even Bret Hart, would suggest that Stu Hart trained Dynamite Kid or Davey Boy. They both were trained by Ted Betley, and if you read either Kid's or Hart's autobiography, you wil see that Dynamite Kid absolutely revered him and not Stu Hart.

They were both given their oppurtunity and shown the ropes in ring by Max Crabtree and his brother Shirley, whose ring name was... dun dun duuuuhn Big Daddy.

Piper being in the team is a fucking travesty. He's about as Scottish as Nelson Mandela.

The fact of the matter is that most of the people named Regal, Finlay, Kid, Bulldog etc. owe their careers entirely to Big Daddy and his family. I'm sure McGuinness is alright, but the sum total of his career is winning a world championship on a promotion that wasn't even televised when he did it. Big Daddy performed in front of a weekly audience of about 10 million. Big Daddy is a much bigger name everywhere in the world except one corner of the USA.

I can't believe Piper is there. Kendo Nagasaki should be in the Japanese team.