[OFFICIAL] Lots of BULLSHIT Thread

I got his book, Hero with 1000 Faces for my dissertation at Uni last year. Some of it I didn't quite get but I think that's because I was skipping through it to find the most relevant pieces to use.

Interesting that you bring up Star Wars too, as I was largely studying the Samurai works of Akira Kurosawa for the dissertation and it was one of his films (The Hidden Fortress) that also inspired Lucas to make Star Wars.

Also, have you read any of Roland Barthes' material about myth? Some interesting stuff.

That sounds like something I would enjoy.

They're pretty decent but the majority are in black and white, so it depends how you feel about that. Most are from the 50s/60s, but one from the 80s, Ran, is incredibly colourful and seems like a fore-runner to Hero, House of Flying Daggers and Curse of the Golden Flower in terms of use of colour.

His most famous film is arguably Seven Samurai which inspired Magnificent Seven. He also did his own version of Macbeth called Throne of Blood which has a great scene where a forest 'comes to life' and a really creepy witch character too. As I say, if you can handle black and white Japanese cinema, you'll be in for a treat.

Yep I would thanks.

However my download bucket is full at the moment and I can't see it online.

Statistics. Or possibly some higher form of maths I don't even want to think about. With enough maths, anything is possible.

Bullshit (pun intended). "Infinity" exists because math could go no further.

Also, Harthan please shut up. This "I am right, you are wrong" attitude is why a lot of people think us atheists are *****.

No, I mostly find issue with the atheists who refuse to discuss matters of religion/faith/meaning outside the realm of intellect. Of course it makes no logical sense for a deity to knock up a lady and then have said baby raise from the dead and come back and talk to people.

Some of us don't believe within the literal realm.

I mean...for God's sake (pun intended once more), we all find a shit ton of meaning and value (or at least asinine entertainment) from professional wrestling...which we know to be scripted and shit. But even though we KNOW it's scripted...there are parts that we don't know if it's real or not. I.E. Punk's "shoot" over the summer. Right when it happened, the vast majority of folk didn't know if it was a work or not. It was quite a paradox and a mystery.

Religion tends to be similar.

303410_10151560982360092_438375240091_23933343_145284257_n.jpg

Bullshit (pun intended). "Infinity" exists because math could go no further.

I always assumed that it was just because (9 to the two billionth power) to the two billionth power is just tedious to write out

I've had a couple of good arguments trying to prove that the biggest number is 9.

You really should young'un.

Too bad noone else is on here. I have an excellent question about Backlash 2005's Hogan/HBK tag match.

Saw it in person :)

Any attempt to explain infinity in a single sentence, or paragraph, even, is doomed to be met with failure. The intricacies of the subject are vast.

However, the notion that infinity represents the limit of mathematics, or some such, isn't true at all. It's a concept employed frequently and with great use in mathematics. The entire universe can probably be reduced to math, we just haven't figured out all the pieces of the puzzle yet.

I mean that your statement that infinity is where math fails is wrong. But, Cantor's work suggests that something of that nature does exist. They're called transfinites. Look 'em up. Of course, Cantor got into some weird religious and philosophical areas that were due mostly to him being a nutter, but his work on set theory is very important.

But, like, what I'm saying is, the idea that math fails somewhere because of the existence of infinity isn't true. We can deal with infinity mathematically. The idea of converging infinities is a way to solve loads of problems, like, for example, Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the turtle.

My basic point is that math doesn't fail. If there's a system that can't be described by existing mathematics, it just means that we need new math to deal with it. The universe is governed by basic mathematical laws, we just need to find them.

I mean that your statement that infinity is where math fails is wrong. But, Cantor's work suggests that something of that nature does exist. They're called transfinites. Look 'em up. Of course, Cantor got into some weird religious and philosophical areas that were due mostly to him being a nutter, but his work on set theory is very important.

But, like, what I'm saying is, the idea that math fails somewhere because of the existence of infinity isn't true. We can deal with infinity mathematically. The idea of converging infinities is a way to solve loads of problems, like, for example, Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the turtle.

My basic point is that math doesn't fail. If there's a system that can't be described by existing mathematics, it just means that we need new math to deal with it. The universe is governed by basic mathematical laws, we just need to find them.

Sounds like religious devotion!

:rolleyes:

Religious devotion to something that's actually been demonstrated to work? Okay, sure, I'll take it.

Harthan, when will you realize that you are just as dogmatic as the strictest Catholic, gripping so tightly to your post-Enlightenment reason. Thomas Jefferson called.

Harthan, when will you realize that you are just as dogmatic as the strictest Catholic, gripping so tightly to your post-Enlightenment reason. Thomas Jefferson called.

:lmao::lmao:

This is the most tired, bullshit argument that gets trotted out constantly.

All it takes to change my mind is a single piece of evidence. Go find it.

Nobody gave a shit about that word until the Enlightenment, bra. d-o-g-m-a-t-i-c

Ricky 2, Harthan -9

Oh, okay. Let's all stop giving a shit about things like reason, logic, evidence, because they were invented during the Enlightenment. You're right, the Dark Ages were way better.

What's your point? That your dogma's better because it was around first? You can call me dogmatic if you feel like it, I don't give a shit, though it isn't true. My "dogma" produces results. My "dogma" works.

Oh, okay. Let's all stop giving a shit about things like reason, logic, evidence, because they were invented during the Enlightenment. You're right, the Dark Ages were way better.

What's your point? That your dogma's better because it was around first? You can call me dogmatic if you feel like it, I don't give a shit, though it isn't true. My "dogma" produces results. My "dogma" works.

I simply want you to admit that you are dogmatic just like religious people. You are placing value into a system that you have deemed to hold truth for you.

I simply want you to admit that you are dogmatic just like religious people. You are placing value into a system that you have deemed to hold truth for you.

The difference is that their dogma is immutable. Mine is not. Religious dogma is meant to confine, to refuse questions. I'm open to changing everything if the argument is convincing and the results are better.

Maybe you can call that a meta-dogma, if you want.

The difference is that their dogma is immutable. Mine is not. Religious dogma is meant to confine, to refuse questions. I'm open to changing everything if the argument is convincing and the results are better.

Maybe you can call that a meta-dogma, if you want.

Yet, you seem only convinced with matters that are "proved" via mathematical formulation.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

That you only value certain "kinds" of "proof." How would you know if your theory was "disproved"? It would somehow trump your theory based on some semblance of a preconstructed system to which you attribute value.

It's dogma. I'm not arguing that it is as "unreasonable" as, for say, the biblical literalist. But it's dogmatic, to be sure.

I'm going to perform a séance, summon Kierkegaard, and kick his ASS for writing in such a complicated fashion. Seriously...what a douchebag. He should have known that 200 years later, people would be trying to comprehend his shit on lack of sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back