• El Santo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
Gene Kiniski
kiniski1.jpg

He has held Titles all over North America including 9 world title reigns throughout the US. He has feuded with such greats as Bobo Brazil, Dick the Bruiser, Johnny Valentine, Bill Watts, Edouard Carpentier, Pat O’Connor, and the Funks. He also had a feud with Bruno Sammartino over the WWWF title.​

Santo, el Enmascarado de Plata
zsanto.jpg

He is said to have popularized professional wrestling in Mexico just as Rikidozan did in Japan and Hulk Hogan did in the United States. He may have only won 10 titles in his career he made Lucha Libre wrestling what it is today. One of Santo's greatest matches was in 1952, when he fought a tag-team known as Los Hermanos Shadow (which consisted of famed luchadors Blue Demon and the Black Shadow). Santo beat and unmasked The Black Shadow in the ring, which triggered Blue Demon's decision to become a face, as well as a legendary feud between The Blue Demon and Santo that culminated in Santo's defeat in a well-publicized series of matches in 1952 and again in 1953. Although they appeared together in a number of action/adventure films, their rivalry never really ended in later years since Santo always remembered his defeat at the Blue Demon's hands.​

Has to be El Santo. He is the Hulk Hogan of Mexican wrestling. WIthout him, there would be a far different lucha libre to steal talent from. It would be alive, but nowhere near as strong. Kiniski was good, but nothing earth shattering. Yes he was world champion, but his reign is forgettable. A great Canadian wrestler before the Hart family rose to power, but not a legend. Santo wins this easily.

Santo gets my vote. Like the argument imade for Hogan and Rikidozan Pro Wrestling in Mexico would be a completly different Landscape today if not fo this man. His most famous feud as against The Blue Demon. Santo was never able to defeat The Blue Demon and because of that this feud never really ended.

This again is a match up for the scholars as I reckon the ability to find many of eithers matches without digging into a vault to be a near impossibility. Simply put, I've heard of the name El Santo more then I've heard of Gene Kiniski. Santo, as said, was the man that popularized the business in Mexico. Maybe I shouldn't vote on it, but I imagine my vote is probably as knowledgable as the next guys in a match like this.

As much as I really don't like the lucha libre style. I can not look past the imprint that El Santo has put on that specific style. He literally was the groundbreaker for all of the highflying lucha action you see today. Gene Kiniski is a legend no doubt. But his imprint isnt as well felt as others such as Stan Hansen, Ray Stevens, Lou Thesz and so on.

El Santo wins this one for me.

Results: Santo wins 10-2 and faces Verne Gangne in round 2.

My thoughts: Not surprised at all. Sanot is the Mexican Version of Hulk Hogan. Without Santo we wouldn't have the Luch Libre we know today. That means to Rey Mysterio, no Psicosis or any of those. I think Santo is going to go very far in this tournament and will be disapointed if he doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back