NHL Thread - 2009-10

Canucks should be able to get a win tonight as the face Minnesota, and Harding, who the Orcas have dominated this season. Canucks are 3-2 in their last 5, but showed that a healthy Daniel can do wonders, as he scored a hat trick, while his brother got two helpers.

The Canucks need to pick up the pace, they are about to enter the longest road trip in HISTORY, and need to get some big points on the board soon. They still remain undefeated in OT if that is a good thing these days, taking part in very few 3 point games.

Another win for the Canucks as they hang on to... almost making it into the playoffs. Henrik continued his dominant way, moving up to 2nd place in the NHL in points, staying in the top 4 in assists, and making his name for Team Sweden. He had three assists tonight, and has 5 points in the Canucks two last wins. Kesler has a couple goals in the last couple, too look to turn the corner.

Dominance. Pretty much what the previous two games for the Blackhawks were. They dominated the play in the offensive zone, but only squeaked out of those two with a 1-1-0 record. The win was in overtime against the New York Rangers, which was a comeback win when captain Tazer scored with about 5 minutes left to tie it, and Dustin Byfuglien scored on a sweet breakaway past two defenders to beat Henrik Lundqvist. The loss was a 2-1 to Buffalo when the Hawks again dominated play. But they weren't getting rebounds close, and you can't beat the goalie on far shots.

But last night they got some home cooking again, playing the Lightning at the UC. Another good game, and the offense came out fast, yet a little conservative. Still got 29 shots on goal, scoring on 4 of them. Patrick Kane started the scoring in the first, and was looking very fast and strong on the ice, but was taken out by Smaby, and hit his head on the ice, having been taken out after and did not return.

In the waning seconds of the 2nd period, Patrick Sharp tried to center a pass for Marian Hossa, but it got deflected into the air, Hossa caught it, dropped it, and hit it while still in the air for a goal. Definitely showing all kinds of talent right there. The game ended 4-0, with it being Antti Niemi's 3rd shutout of the season in 8 games. Pretty fucking impressive for your backup goaltender to get 3 shutouts in such limited playing time.

Well being an Aussie I cant say that I am into the NHL very much. I have tried to watch some of the games on pay tv here, but struggle to get into the game. Not knowing the rules probably doesnt help as well.

The only players I hear about are Ovechkin (sp?) and Sidney Crosby.

Be that as it may when I head to America in a couple of weeks I am going to check out the Mighty Ducks against the Red Wings. Any players I should be looking for? What can I expect?

Might have to start follwoing the NHL a little closer for a while at least.

Well being an Aussie I cant say that I am into the NHL very much. I have tried to watch some of the games on pay tv here, but struggle to get into the game. Not knowing the rules probably doesnt help as well.

The only players I hear about are Ovechkin (sp?) and Sidney Crosby.

Be that as it may when I head to America in a couple of weeks I am going to check out the Mighty Ducks against the Red Wings. Any players I should be looking for? What can I expect?

Might have to start follwoing the NHL a little closer for a while at least.

Yeah, Ovechkin and Crosby are the two top players in the league, so there is no doubt you would have heard of them. Unfortunately the Mighty Ducks are no longer mighty. Bastard owners decided to change them to just the Anaheim Ducks with a stupid logo. But it should be a good game. The Wings are still a good team, keep your eye on the captain Nicklas Lidstrom. He is older, and won't be in the league too many more years, maybe, but he is one of, if not the best defenseman in the NHL, and that is coming from someone who is a heated Detroit rival. Both teams have good sets of players, so you should be in for a good game.

If you can, try maybe reading up on the rules, that may help, otherwise it is pretty much an on the fly learning. But you may see a fight, which is always fun. The action is usually pretty fast paced, and if you can see the puck, you are good. I think that is what kills it for some people is the inability to see the puck. But if you have any other hockey questions, obviously you have stopped in the right thread, and don't hesitate to ask.

Well, yesterday I accidentally neglected to talk about the Blackhawks game Wednesday night. Against the Blues (sorry Thriller) who were on the hind end of back to back games, the Hawks picked up the 3-0 victory, with Huet getting the second shutout of the week, after Antti Niemi got his shutout on Sunday against the Lightning. The goaltending has been absolutely stellar this season (short of Huet the first 2 or 3 weeks of the season) having given up only 67 goals on the season, which is the fewest in the NHL, with the Devils right behind them at 69, and is one of the main reasons the team is where it is today.

The offense picked up a bit again, finally scoring on the PP, and beating Ty Conklin, who had owned the Hawks, winning 4 of his previous 5 games against them, including the Winter Classic last year. Also Patrick Kane came back after leaving the game Sunday after a pretty scary fall, knocking his head, but only suffering a cut above his eye.

Tonight, Original Six matchup against the Bruins, should be a good one. Chara is always a guy to look for, and you can't miss him at his height. Tim Thomas is going to be a challenge as well, so it should make for a great game, which is usually what the Original Six games are.

After two shootout goals by Toews and Kane, the Blackhawks win and get two points against original six rival Boston Bruins.

Unlike the hawks most recent games, this wasnt the prettiest one in the world. In the second period they played decent scoring three goals, but the first and third period play wasn't up to their par, especially defensively. A turnover here or there cost the Hawks a goal or two.

Two games ago, Ante Niemi earned a shutout victory against the Lightning. Tonight, while he did earn the victory, he certainly didnt get the shutout. The Bruins arent a team to slotch with, but Niemi definitely could have played a little bit better. He let go a couple of rebounds which ultimately led to a couple of the Bruins' goals. Oh well, a win's a win right?

So I was looking at the schedule, and I noticed that the hawks have a home and home series against the Nashville Predators starting a day after Christmas. Considering how close they are in the standings, these games should be something to watch. Just thought I bring it up to anyone that suffer through my posts. Anyways, goodnight.

Canucks split their last two, but really should have won the inverse over the actual. They lost to the worst team in the west, but then beat the highest scoring team in hockey. The Canucks are a great team, the fifth highest scoring team, one of the best defensive, undefeated in overtime, second best home team in hockey, the second best point getting player, yet still they sit a point out of the playoffs. The good news is they are only 4 points out of first in their division. Colorado doesnt have the long term skills to win the division so if we can catch the Flames, we will be in a good position.

Well, after a not so stellar performance against a good team in Boston on Friday, the Blackhawks bounced back with another awesome defensive performance against the Red Wings. Cristobal Huet got his second consecutive shutout, stopping 20 shots, and the defense in front of him was able to stifle the Red Wings pretty well. To start the game, it took the Wings 13 minutes to get their first shot on goal. That in itself is pretty damn impressive.

On the offensive side of the puck, Duncan Keith opened the scoring with a power play goal from the blue line in the first. Then in the second, Brian Campbell got a nice pass from Patrick Sharp, and skated to the net and put the wrister past goaltender Chris Osgood. The third and final goal of the game came from Dustin Byfuglien wrister, just inside the blue line, and could be considered a soft goal. It just looked like Osgood missed a very savable shot.

Both teams meet up again on Wednesday, should be another good one.

Chicago Blackhawks goaltender Cristobal Huet has been named NHL's number one star of the week and rightfully so. Right now he is riding a two game shutout streak with one coming against the Blues and the latest one coming last night against the Red Wings. After a rocky start to the season, he has really settled in and has proven that he can match up with the best in the league.

Anyway, the Hawks have been pretty stellar in the month of December with a record of 7-2 and currently riding a four game winning streak. But, this month isn't over yet. They have a rough couple a games coming up with the likes of the Sharks, the Predators, and the Devils. These last two weeks of the year are as important as the circus roadtrip. If they can get the win against most of these teams, they'd be making a huge statement to the rest of the league.

After a tough lost against the Sharks on Tuesday, the hawks bounce back and once again defeat the Red Wings in the Joe completing the Home and Home sweep against them. If that wasn't impressive enough, the Hawks have shutout the Wings in both games. Obviously it has been a while since that has happened.

As I mentioned, The Hawks secured the shutout tonight with Ante Niemi in the net this time. That is his third shutout in his last five games. Not bad for the team's second goalie,eh?

I know I talk about Hawk goalies Cristobal Huet and Niemi a lot in my posts, but I think it is well deserved the credit i give them. Call me a homer, but I think this duo is playing some of the best goaltending in the league, rolling in the shutouts left and right.

Anyways, back to the game. I think the 3-0 score dosen't show really how the game went considering the Wings had more shots than the Hawks throughout the game. The first two periods were practically a toss up, while the third period was the Hawks' period.

Good to see a powerplay goal by Kane tonight considering thats one of the departments the Hawks stuggle, the powerplay. On the other side good to see the Hawks stay strong on the penalty kill which is obviously one of their strong suits.

Two big games coming up for the Hawks, another home and home series, this time against the very strong Nashville predators who had just suffered their first lost in practically 2 1/2 weeks. And who are only four points down from the Hawks. These two games could change the whole complexity between these two teams. If the Preds were two win both games in regular time, then they would be tied with the Hawks in the standings. If the Hawks were to win these two games in regular time, that would make an eight point cushion between the teams. It probably won't go these ways but you never know in hockey.

See you Saturday hopefully in a good mood.

Tonight the Blackhawks capture another victory, this time a 4-1 domination of the Nashville Predators. Both teams had two days off for the Christmas break, but the Hawks were able to find their legs early, and capitalized half way through the first period with a PP goal by big Dustin Byfuglien. This was a pretty soft goal, a well placed wrister, but due to traffic in front of Rinne, it was understandable from my end how it went in. The Preds tied it up on a breakaway that sent netminder Cristobal Huet into the net himself. Then in the second, the Hawks got goals in a 1:10 span from Patrick Kane and Andrew Ladd, and with just over a minute left in the second, Patrick Sharp shot in a rebound. A great balanced attack on the offensive side, and another good defensive effort.

Even with that goal, Huet was solid all night, stopping another 25 shots, and making it the 11th time in 28 games that he has had given up one or no goals. Pretty damn impressive. As the troop has said, the Blackhawks goaltenders have been rock solid this year. Niemi going 8-1-1 as a backup, with four, yes four shutouts, to Cristobal Huet, going 17-8-2, with three shutouts (matching last years total). Combined they have the lowest total of goals allowed at 75. That can be attributed to both the defense and goaltending, but it is an impressive stat.

The Leafs lost a heartbreaker on Saturday to arch-rivals Montreal Canadiens. Once again the opposing goalie stole the game from the Leafs with Halak making 47 saves. The Leafs vastly outplayed the Canadiens, but just couldn't beat Halak.

They rebounded quite nicely today, however, beating the defending Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins in Pittsburgh. It's a big win for the Leafs who are still fighting for a playoff spot. It seems like the Leafs can beat the top tier teams, but struggle against the lower tier teams, go figure. Atleast the Leafs have been picking up their play since the bad start to the season.

Oh ya, watch out for Ian White because this guy is a stud defenceman.

Canucks got a big win over division leaders Calgary Flames 5-1 in a game where Mason Raymond would score 3 times. Big win that showed that even as the Canucks possess one of the best lines in hockey, they can get scoring from elsewhere. If the Canucks keep this up, they should be able to get into first, and put some distance over teams like the Avalanche and the Flames.

Blackhawks won yet again, this was the tail end of a home and home with Nashville, and marked the last time during the regular season these to foes would meet. Like the previous meetings, this was a tight battle, but unlike the previous meetings, it was a higher scoring tight battle, especially in the 3rd period.

The Preds jumped out to a quick lead on a goal from Goc, but Patrick Kane would strike on a rebound later in the period. The second had one goal, but it was off a turnover and Antti Niemi gave up a rebound to Martin Erat, scoring on a pretty wide open net. The third got even more crazy. There was a two on one break for Nashville, only to have Niemi make a huge cross crease pad save.

Just a few minutes later, Andrew Ladd found a breaking John Madden up ice, and Madden made a sweet move to catch the puck, spun around real quick, and did a short deke on Dan Ellis and beat him through the legs. On his next shift, Madden got another pass, skated up ice and shot the puck, which was deflected from a defender's stick as he shot, and beat Ellis to take the lead. His next shift, Madden was able to draw a penalty, and the Hawks would strike as Brian Campbell beat Ellis from the point.

The Blackhawks were sitting pretty, but the Preds made a come back, and tied the score with two goals in a span of 57 seconds. As the game looked to be heading to overtime, Duncan Keith found Patrick Kane near the net, but Kane missed the first shot, and Troy Brouwer was able to tip the puck back to Kane to score the game winning goal. The Predators were able to get a last second shot, but it hit off the post, and a fracous was about to ensue after the horn, but the refs were able to break it up before anything major happened.

A solid game offensively, and at first I thought John Madden would be the hero of the game, with his two goals and drawn penalty, but alas, it was Patrick Kane yet again stealing the spotlight. Now the Hawks are at the top of the league going into the final week of 2009 and the decade.

Canucks finally lost in overtime, as we neared the middle of the season, with the Canucks being the only team with a perfect overtime record, we lost in a shootout to the phoenix coyotes. It is alright, because as the ridiculos NHL rules state, losing in OTstill gets you a point. This has always been problem of mine, visible by the Canucks this year, as we are a great team, yet are sitting onthe edge of the playoffs.

So, I have no idea whats been going on with my Capitals but I hear we just traded away one of our Captains, Our D is still terrible, Ovi is the only person who can make a goal, and Semin is just settin' them up for us. Can someone fill me in?

My take? Ovechkin and Semin have been the only 2 real players (when I watched) worth a damn, and Varly needs to stick between the posts cause I think the kids a straight up beast but when your D (which, I don't get HOW we haven't improved) is letting everyone and their mother through what are you gonna do?

So, I have no idea whats been going on with my Capitals but I hear we just traded away one of our Captains, Our D is still terrible, Ovi is the only person who can make a goal, and Semin is just settin' them up for us. Can someone fill me in?

My take? Ovechkin and Semin have been the only 2 real players (when I watched) worth a damn, and Varly needs to stick between the posts cause I think the kids a straight up beast but when your D (which, I don't get HOW we haven't improved) is letting everyone and their mother through what are you gonna do?

You forgot Backstrom, which is probably Washington's second best player. He's the one who sets up Ovechkin. You also have Knuble and Morrison who are starting to pick up their play as well.

Varlamov would be starting if he wasn't injured. He's in the minors right now working his way back to the NHL. He'll get a chance to win the starting job once he's healthy.

Canucks won in overtime tonight against The Blues in an important game, giving them 9 points in their last 5 games, and tying them with the Flames in points. Now they are only 3 points out of first in their division, with a game in hand. Also adding to the cushion is the relative fall of the LA Kings who have lost once again, and now for the forth time. Canucks are only 10 points out of first in the west, which is good after our slow start. I almost wish that if we are playing this good, breaking away from out inconsistent play that has plagued us for the season, that Luongo were to not to play for Team Canada.

The Capitals are still a great team Brian, and having Ovechkin locked up for years insures a great team to come. He is the future captain of that team, and with people like Backstrom and Semin, as well as a great center like Morrison and a great defensemen like Green (Who I would have loved on Team Canada).

The loss of Clark isnt a big deal, he was more of a leadership player, and bringing in Chimera will bolster their lineup.

A lot of rumors going around that the Bruins may trade for Ilya Kovalchuk. I really hope it doesn't happen. Kovalchuk would essentially be a rental. I think he and Phil Kessel are very similar as well, in where the Bruins like their guys to be two way players, and for them to demonstrate physicality. Kovalchuk, while he's one of the top players in the NHL, doesn't really fit in with the Bruins, and the cost involved is way too high.

In addition to the fact that he's going to want a huge contract that I'm not sure the Bruins will be able to fit in the salary cao, but the cost in getting him is going to start at Blake Wheeler (who has grown into being one of my favorite players), and Tuukka Rask (who has potential to grow into being one of the best goaltenders in the NHL in a few years), plus a draft pick. I think as of right now, the Bruins have a strong enough team where another role player or two which wouldn't cost much to acquire are who the team should be adding. Maybe another defenseman would help the team out as well.

The Bruins have plenty of talent down in Providence. I think trading Wheeler, or especially Tuukka would be a horrendous mistake... even if Kovalchuk is one of the top players in the NHL.

The Blackhawks capped 2009 with a dominating performance against the top team in the Eastern Conference, the New Jersey Devils. (Sorry IC and ax7) The Devils were playing the second game of a back to back, and their third in four days. A tough stretch for any team, and likely a worn down team. Especially after a tough and gritty 2-0 shutout of the Pens the night before. But the Blackhawks just came out and made the Devils look slow. Fatigue was no doubt a factor, but the Devils won't make excuses.

The first period started off with a power-play goal by Troy Brouwer, and about a minute and a half later, Ben Eager was able to backhand a rebound of Brodeur into the net. Greatest goaltender? Psh yeah right. :p :lmao: Just kidding IC. Marty is definitely the greatest and had an off night. The second was a little more of the same, with Andrew Ladd scoring finishing a two on one attack. In the third, Toews stole the puck just after the power play for the Devils had expired, and beat Marty glove side. John Madden capped the scoring for the Hawks by beating Brodeur himself, and scoring against his former team. (IC, Madden has seriously become one of my favorite players on the Hawks. He is definitely an awesome defensive forward, who has stepped it up on offense lately.)

Jamie Langenbrunner had to mess up Huet's bid for a shutout, scoring with 1:33 left. But oh well. Huet still had another solid game, and rebounded nicely after giving up four goals on ten shots in Dallas. This was another great game for the Hawks, who are now two points behind the Sharks for first in the West.

Canucks got Murray fired today. After the Canucks came back in impressive style, being down 3-0, and winning in overtime 4-3, John Davidson had seen enough of his coach, and fired Andy Murray, who had his team in 12th place. I am a little shocked about this, as St Louis is a decent hockey team, and isn't so far out of the playoffs. Murray was the runner up to the Jack Adams Trophy last year, so I see no reason why they should not have confidence in a team, who was in a worse position last year, yet made the playoffs.

One of my favourite players as a kid is back. Lucifer... I mean Satan has been signed by the Boston Bruins as that team gears up for the playoffs. He has been signed to a no movement clause, essentially meaning he is there to play, or be benched. Makes sense, as the man must be tired of being shipped around. I like Satan, he won the Stanley Cup last year, and he has that fourth lined mentality that could really help the Bruins move deep.

Canucks got Murray fired today. After the Canucks came back in impressive style, being down 3-0, and winning in overtime 4-3, John Davidson had seen enough of his coach, and fired Andy Murray, who had his team in 12th place. I am a little shocked about this, as St Louis is a decent hockey team, and isn't so far out of the playoffs. Murray was the runner up to the Jack Adams Trophy last year, so I see no reason why they should not have confidence in a team, who was in a worse position last year, yet made the playoffs.

As a Blues fan, even though I haven't been able to follow them very well this year, I am not surprised by this. The Blues have a lot of talent and potential, but have been absolutely terrible in the third period. The enter with leads and start doing hockey's equivalent of football's prevent defense, dropping everyone back to the defensive zone and invite the other team to attack. Giving away games like that has to be the fault of the coach, not the players. I appreciate what he has done for the team the past couple years, but after seeing them give away a game to Buffalo in person last week, it was time for a change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back