New York Region, Third Round: Cage: (4) Sting vs. (5) Mick Foley

Who Wins This Match

• Sting

• Mick Foley

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a third round match in the New York Region.

This match takes place in Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York.

madison_square_garden.jpg

It is a Cage Match.

Rules: In this contest the participants will be enclosed in a 15 foot high steel cage. Victory is attained by escape only, either through the door, or over the top.

#4 Sting

sting+icon.jpg

Vs.

#5 Mick Foley

mickfoley01.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 30 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting will open in 48 hours and will be open for five days and all posts must be non-spam. You may use the 48 hours to present your cases as to why either competitor should/should not win.​

I came into this all prepared with my Sting would win argument, but then I remembered that this match has happened. Mick Foley beat Sting inside a steel cage, almost 10 years after he ceased to be a full-time wrestler, while Sting was still going in the main event. That's a pretty huge stumbling block for anyone supporting a Sting win, and to be honest, I wasn't convinced enough of his winning ability coming into this for it not to swing it for me. I could still vote Sting, but real life is outweighing hypotheticals for me at the moment.

Oh, God, what a match this would be. I'm really torn here, because both men have show great affinity in cage or cage-like matches. I'm gonna withhold my vote, and see what others have to say. I'm leaning towards Foley, though.

This is easily Sting. For fuck's sake, you have the face of the early WCW against a guy whose career was made LOSING a cage match? Yeah, this is easily Sting.

And Tasty, while Foley may not have been an "active" wrestler when he fought Sting (a joke, considering I think Foley has had a match every year since the early 90s), he's still SIX years younger than Sting. So, you'll excuse me if I don't buy your argument that a guy who wrestles every year and is six years younger beat Sting at the tail end of his career.

I'm going with Sting. Foley was great in the ring, but his best ability was the ability to lose and make the other guy look good. Sting takes it.

Sting wins this. He was a mean motherfucker back in his WCW days and would pick Foley apart. Not many people could fuck with Sting during his prime and Foley in any of his faces would not be able to defeat him.

Foley has beaten Sting, in a Cage match. It's happened. However, it was in TNA, with both men being far out of their prime.

Throughout this tournament, I've tried to look back and imagine each guy in his prime. When both men were young, and actually in decent shape, they had a Falls Cout Anywhere match at WCW's Beach Blast in 1992. Sting won, in one of my favorite matches of the early 90's. Sting also beat Cactus in an I Quit match, where Cactus passed out in the Scorpion Deathlock.

Sting was all offense, all the time. As much of a beating as Foley can take, Sting can keep on giving it. This would take close to the full 30 minutes, but Sting has made Foley pass out before, and he can do it again, and this time, climb the cage for the win.

Sting wins.

Sting is a better wrestler than Mick Foley. That should be the end of the matter. In their respective primes, there is nothing Foley could do that Sting could not, except take a beating.

However, in a cage match that can give you an advantage, as both men would bleed as they had their faces ground against the unforgiving steel. Sting was a beast in his prime, and Foley had more guts, heart and determination that almost any other wrestler.

Considering Foley's most famous cage matches (albeit HIAC) involved in him taking death defying bumps and losing, I have to give the edge to Sting here. Foley very rarely won the big matches. He lost 2 HIAC matches, street fights, I Quit matches...he always put up a brave fight but usually lost.

I could quite easily see Foley attempting another dangerous move, an elbow drop from the top of the cage, with Sting moving out of the way. He would have more than enough time to get through the door and escape the cage

I fucking love every time these two get in the ring with each other. Sting's offense, and the ability of Foley to take said offense, and put a beating of his own on Sting would be fan fucking tastic.

I'm leaning with Sting. I love Foley, but he does lose these big matches on a frequent basis. Yes, it is in the Garden, but Foley (I know, "end of his career") did lose to Triple H in a street fight.

I could be swayed to vote Foley, but right now I'm guessing Sting will get the win. Remember Summerslam 1997. Foley ultimately won the match, but instead of going over the top of the cage, he had to jump off of it to hit an elbow drop. This is the type of thing Foley does. He will take unnecessary risk when the match is seemingly in hand.

Foley is a tough guy and as sadistic as he can be inside a cage, he doesn't really pull of the win very often. This is Sting's to lose. You know what you're going to get when you're facing Foley and if Sting comes in prepared he should be able to weather that storm. As long as Sting's endurance and cardio is up he will be able to outlast Foley, who gasses, and pick his shots en route to hitting the Scorpion Death Drop. There will be blood and even though this is the environment where Foley will probably do something crazy that we will all remember, we will also remember him losing.

On the surface, this has Mick Foley winning written all over it. Foley does have a win over Sting and that's a factor that shouldn't be brushed aside as irrelevant.

I look at it like this, however: Let's that 10 cage matches between Foley & Sting were booked over the span of a couple of years, who would come out with the most victories? I'd say that Sting would come out with the win 7 out of 10 times in this setting.

Foley has been in so many no rules match settings in his career, it's what he's most known for. But look at how many times Foley has had his ass handed to him in this setting. Kurt Angle, HBK, Triple H, The Undertaker, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, etc. have all scored big memorable wins over Mick Foley in these sorts of settings, some of them have done it on multiple occassions.

Sting will prove to be too much more Mick Foley to handle in this one. Even though it is a Cage match, and Foley's hardcore style is truly legendary, Sting is simply too skilled a wrestler for Mick Foley to compete with and prevail over. Despite my alleged pro-WWE bias that a select few guys (well, one actually) have accused me of, I give the nod here to the guy who has never set foot in a WWE ring. I see Sting taking a fair bit of punishment at the hands of Foley, but I also see him doling out his share of abuse at the same time. And while Foley can withstand a fairly significant onslaught of hardship from his opponent, in the end, Sting will simply be too much for him. I see a bloodied and bruised Sting emerging from the Cage, moving on to the next round, but in all likelihood, entering the next round in less than ideal condition to face his next challenger.

Ehh, I really don't know what to do here. I really want to pick Mick Foley out of personal preference, but I honestly can't. While I enjoy Mick Foley's work much more there is no denying that Sting is the better overall worker out of the two and this is the type of match he would win. Foley has a history of taking unnecessary risks, as Shocky pointed out, and I have a feeling he would take some sort of risk here which would end up costing him the match.

I guess I'll give my vote for Sting just because in reality, he would win. They would definitely have a great match with great action but ultimately Sting would take advantage of a risk Mick took and escape the cage. Sorry Mick, at least you were able to make it to the third round but the road ends here for you.

Who would win a standard wrestling match between John Cena & Hulk Hogan?
Who would win a submission match between Kurt Angle & Bret Hart?
Who would win a two out of three falls match between Chris Benoit & Ricky Steamboat?

As wrestling fans, we all have matches that we would love to see take place inside the squared circle, but unfortunately, we can only speculate who could potentially win such these encounters. But when it comes to who would win a cage match between Sting and Mick Foley, we have a clear cut answer as this match has already taken place, and a winner has already been named.

[youtube]hJPKq8tSMrI[/youtube]​

At the time of this match, Mick Foley was not an active wrestler, while Sting, very much was.

Foley retired in 2000. He made his awaited return into a wrestling ring in 2004 to compete in the Royal Rumble. He also wrestled at WrestleMania in a Handicap match where he teamed with The Rock against members of Evolution. At the Backlash PPV, Mick Foley fought Randy Orton in a hardcore match.

In 2005, he wrestled Carlito at Taboo Tuesday. He also wrestled Edge at Wrestlemania before teaming with Edge & to face Terry Funk, Tommy Dreamer and Beulah McGillicutty.

Foley’s last major match was when he wrestled Ric Flair in a two out of three falls match at Vengence in 2006.

He joined TNA in 2008 where he had a handful of matches before his match against Sting in 2009 at Lockdown.

Since his “retirement” in 2000, up until his match at Lockdown against Sting, Mick Foley had wrestled no more than twenty matches. There is no question that Mick Foley was no where near the level of an active competitor, wrestling even less matches than someone who can be considered wrestling part-time. Yet, this is the man who defeated Sting, an active & full time wrestler, by escaping the cage – which is the only way to win the match in this case.

Sting has an offense that will continuously beat on and punish Mick Foley. But Mick Foley is known for taking a beating, and keeps coming back for more. If anyone can take Sting’s offense, it has to be Mick Foley who has put his body through more pain then Sting would be able to dish out.

Sting will give Foley 110%, and Foley will take it and then dish it out to Sting himself.

For the sake of this round, this match can only be won by escape. During the Six Sides of Steel match that these two men had at Lockdown, Mick Foley had a number of opportunities to escape the cage through the door, however, do to an error in judgement, he had the cage door chained shut before the match begun, thus preventing any escape through the door. Surely, this is a mistake that Foley wouldn’t make a second time.

Mick Foley also proved that he would attempt to escape from the cage in any means necessary, even going as far as trying to crawl out though the hole in the cage that allows the camera a clear view into the cage. Mick Foley wants to escape this cage, and he will find every exit possible to do so.

My final argument refers to the type of cage that this match takes place in. It is unclear as to what type of cage will surround the ring. Will it be the old blue steel cage? Or will it be the steel mesh cage?

Mick Foley mentions in great detail how their match at Lockdown was suppose to be contested within the old style of cage, it would also have a three foot platform around the top of the cage. Immediately, Mick went to work thinking of ways to not only put on a great match against Sting, but means of punishing his opponent to ensure victory. It was only at the last minute, that the cage style had been changed to the mesh style more commonly used today.

My point is that if this match would have taken place in the old cage as it was suppose to, the offense that Mick Foley would have dealt to Sting would have been more intense and hard-hitting. Instead, Mick Foley was still able to gain the victory in a cage that he was unprepared for. Even with a limited game plan, Mick Foley was still able to escape the cage and defeat Sting.

We can continue to speculate who might win a hypothetical match between two wrestling stars, but we cannot deny the history when the actual match that we’re debating has already taken place.

The match ends with Mick Foley climbing up one side of the cage; Sting climbs up not far behind him on the other side of the cage, climbs over and begins climbing down. Foley on his climb down and notices Sting is about to win, and throws himself off the cage from about half way up and crashes to the floor first, winning the match. Again.

Close but Sting. The fact that this match has already happened really should have no bearing on the outcome, it happened in 2009 when Sting was 49 and Mick Foley was 10 years retired and well past his prime. When these two fought and they were both in their prime Sting won it.

When you think about it this is the face of WCW vs a man who made his name in losing cage (technically HIAC but it is a variation of a cage match) matches (vs Taker, HHH etc). Mick Foley lost more of the high profile matches he was in than he won, I have no reason to believe this would be any different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back