New Day Hosting Mania: Good, Bad, or Indifferent?

Discussion in 'Wrestlemania XXXIII' started by OYDK, Feb 21, 2017.

1. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

It was announced last night on Raw that New Day will be the hosts of Wrestlemania 33, which likely means an opening segment, some random backstage skits involving legends, and who knows what else. Now I know some will probably view this as a step-down for New Day from last year (and with good reason) but is this really such a bad thing? From a fan perspective, we're at least likely to get some entertaining segments sprinkled in throughout the show and while we may scoff at the term "host", hosting Mania is actually a pretty big deal. If I'm not mistaken, New Day will be the first regular roster members ever to host a Wrestlemania.

So, I guess my question is two-fold. First, is this a good thing for the New Day or the beginning of the end for them as a tag team? Second, what's your opinion on New Day hosting Mania? Personally, I look at it this way; this will do a lot for New Day's legacy. 20 years from now, nobody would remember the random New Day match from Mania 33, but a lot of people will probably remember that New Day was important enough to host a Wrestlemania. Frankly, I'm shocked that Vince has enough faith in these guys to give them this roll, but I guess I can't say it's not deserved.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  2. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

As a huge New Day supporter, I'm in two minds.

One the positive end, I think this is a big opportunity for them. Like you mentioned, they are likely the first active roster hosts of the show. This is way better than some throwaway match, which is largely what they have been getting since they dropped the tag titles. The three guys have great chemistry together and they all appear committed to keeping the band together for as long as possible. They are still very over, maybe not to the point where they were last year at this time when I believe they were moving the most merch(I know I got my Booty O's shirt), but they are still a hot act despite going up against such charisma vacuums as The Shining Stars and Jinder Mahal.

On the other hand, I'm kind of bummed that despite how over they are, they couldn't find a spot on the card for them. Literally there had been no rumors as to a potential New Day match even when the rest of the rumored card was being leaked.

I guess I'm 70/30, more happy than sad. I could watch Kofi anyday of the week in the ring, but at least there won't be an embarrassing loss to the League of Nations again. Plus I'd rather watch New Day pitch ice cream plans than watch Brock/Goldberg 3.

3. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

I suppose it's possible that it could be all three at once, depending on where your mind set is.

Personally, I'm more on the "Good" side of it as I'm glad to see wrestlers, not celebrities or past names who haven't been able to wrestle in a good decade or more, "hosting" the show. New Day's generally entertaining, they can be a bit much for me every so often, but I enjoy their light hearted antics more often than not and the fans in Orlando may well have the same view.

The "Bad" aspect of things could stem from some fans just not being into New Day and/or what sort of shenanigans are in store for New Day to get into at WrestleMania. I'm more on the latter side of this as whatever skit they do could be entertaining or it could be a total train wreck. Also, I personally don't want to see New Day out there for some 30 minute segment as there's no need for it and that's time that could be used for a match or two on the card.

The "Indifferent" aspect of things is something that happens a lot with a good deal of modern fans. Let's be honest, a lot of modern fans are fickle who's opinions sometimes change like the wind and simply don't care one way or the other; they'll use the time New Day is out there doing whatever to fix a snack, take a dump or whatever.

4. The Life Of Pablo Ren

The Life Of Pablo Ren I know my name/avi/sig don't match.

It's sad. It's stupid. It's useless.

Your most over, most successful tag team in well over a decade has been wasted at every WrestleMania they've been a part of. Hosting WrestleMania should be reserved for retired wrestlers or celebrities, having three active, talented wrestlers hosting the biggest wrestling show of the year is asinine to me.

They need to be on the card, okay I get that. I guess in that aspect this is SLIGHTLY JUST EVER SO SLIGHTLY better than a pre-show match for them... but if they need to be on the card... PUT THEM ON THE CARD! It's not rocket science, it's not even 6th grade Earth Science. If they need to be on the show, put them on the show in a wrestling role because after all they are... WRESTLERS! I know that might come as a shock to WWE considering they only see them as marketing juggernauts but believe it or not, they wrestle too Vince.

I feel like I'm a lot madder than I should be, a lot of people feel like New Day have run their course so maybe they're fine with this. I'm in that group but I feel like that's all the more reason to give them a nice match. This is going to be their last Mania together, there's no way this is going on for another year, let them do something of importance.

There's certain things I think WWE views as important and prestigious when the rest of the world quite frankly doesn't give a shit and hosting WrestleMania is definitely one of those things. It was fun when Rock and Hogan did it. Rock used it to set up a two year feud with Cena, Hulk Hogan gave us a really cool moment with Austin and Rock but... New Day can't do any of that. It's not gonna be any different than a typical New Day promo on RAW, maybe with a special guest or two.

I've rambled on too much and don't even know if I make much sense so I'm gonna end it here.

BestSportsEntertainer likes this.
  5. @smarkmouth

@smarkmouth Friendly Neighborhood

Well, other than Kofi or Big E picking up a dark horse Rumble win, what else was there for the New Day at WrestleMania? They've climbed the mountain, planted their feet for record length, and there's no secondary tag team titles they can recede to. This is all that was left for them

All in all, it's a positive for the New Day themselves, but as a fan, I am indifferent. They'll make a nice chunk of their gate, which they've earned. But a host role leaves little room for potential. Sure, they'll rub shoulders with some legends or whatnot, but this doesn't have me chomping at the bit, wondering where this angle goes.

Maybe I'll eat my words and Big E will turn heel on the grandest stage, or something, but I doubt it.

6. BestSportsEntertainer

BestSportsEntertainer I Don't Need No User Title

You have one of the most over teams in years, and you can't even get them on the card?

I really don't understand that, as they could easily do some sort of multi-tag team match for the titles.

On the other hand, New Day is entertaining and this is quite the big honor. Unless I'm forgetting someone, the only wrestlers to host a WrestleMania are The Rock and Hulk Hogan. I can think of much worse things that have happened at WM than a 10-15 minute New Day promo. Again, they're very entertaining and their segment should be.

I guess I'm indifferent towards this. New Day deserves a match, but the segment will be entertaining and is a bigger deal than we might think.

7. The Samoan Heritage

The Samoan Heritage Getting Noticed By Management

I'm personally excited. Hopefully they get a segment with the Rock because their last encounter with him was pretty entertaining.
    The only spot/match that New Day could've fit into was the championship match for the tag team titles, which has the least interest of all the (rumored) Wrestlemania matches.
    IMO, New Day are above the Club, Sheamus/Cesaro, and Enzo&Cass(wouldn't have said that about 2-3 months ago, but Enzo and Cass star power is fading). Unless they would've won the titles, which I doubt, I prefer them hosting Wrestlemania than being in a multi-team championship match that will be forgotten about by the end of the first hour of Wm.

WWE should go all out with New Day hosting Wm. Book them to appear on Ellen, Fallon, Kimmel, Good morning America, Dr. Phil, I don't know/care, just give them as much exposure as possible in the next 6 weeks. John Cena is hosting the Nickelodeon's kid's choice awards show in March, find a way to get New Day on there with him. Have New Day do some collabs with some youtube stars, just push them as stars, and promote Wm.

8. d_henderson1810

d_henderson1810 Mid-Card Championship Winner

I would have had them in a Fatal-4-Way Tag-Team Match for the WWE Tag Title against Shesaro, The Club & The Certified G's.

9. d_henderson1810

Don't know why they wouldn't get someone like "Mr Wrestlemania" himself, "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels, host a Wrestlemania, given his nickname.

He could entertain the fans at Wrestlemania in a whole new way, with his mic skills instead of his wrestling skills.

BestSportsEntertainer likes this.
  10. d_henderson1810

The Rock v The New Day in a promo.

Well, that's another hour of Wrestlemania used up.

11. WorstWrestlingExcrement

WorstWrestlingExcrement Getting Noticed By Management

This is typical waste timers that wwe needs to fill the gapp cause they got no interesting matches to place them in. Whatever happened to the tag team division where you can have a fatal 4 way against Cesaro and Sheamus , Club and Certified G's! There is of course the andre the giant battle royal where they can take part in as well. But all the stupidities and shenanigans will bore you even more with the 3 stooges here more like constipation / washroom break when I am at the bar and from what I see these 3 stooges cannot save the 4 hour snoozefest we will have = oh brother!

12. swallop

swallop Occasional Pre-Show

Ill do you one better horrible cheap pointless. Pretty much letting us know mania will be a joke this year.

13. Kodo Sawaki

Kodo Sawaki Championship Contender

There you go, from 6:23

[youtube]HIFOELoM9eQ[/youtube]

:icon_mrgreen:

They were in the spotlight with title, now somebody else deserves that spotlight for title. Is it that bad? Nah, not that much as your division is filled with useless jobber teams. You want "Handsome Rusev" and that ginger indian to job to them? Probably much better to see them hosting with their shenanigans instead. Keeps spotlight on them much more then some useless tag team match that they would win in couple of minutes.

14. Sexcellence of Sexecution

If you think wrestling in a filler 4-way match for the tag belts is a more prominent spot than being the hosts of Wrestlemania you're kidding yourself.

The New Day have done something few guys nowadays have been able to do, and that's have a unique voice on the microphone. They are clearly being themselves and showcasing their natural charisma, which is why they've gotten so over, and by being put in this role they will have an opportunity to keep doing that. This will get them more air time throughout the show than they would get with a couple of spots in an ultimately consequence free match involving a bunch of other guys thrown together to try and get them on the card.

One of the dumber moves in the draft was not putting New Day and Enzo & Cass on separate shows sinc ethey both fill the same kind of niche in the tag division. I definitely expect one of those two teams to move whenever they do another draft lottery, and down the road this year I wouldn't be surprised if we see a singles run for Big E as an IC/US champion. But as for right now, I think this will ultimately be beneficial for the New Day and probably will be pretty entertaining.

Be honest with yourself. What has more potential as far as creating memorable moments...The New Day as the hosts of Wrestlemania, or the New Day in a 4 way tag match?

The first one.

Kodo Sawaki likes this.
  15. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

Well it's a good thing to know you won't be watching it and then commenting on it later, isn't it?

As for the topic at hand. I can't really see what else they could have done with them. They just broke the record for the longest tag reign, and there is no way they would be feuding anyone for it again. Since they broke the record and dropped the belt, New Day has been wandering around aimlessly have one pointless match after another. I guess that's a drawback of breaking the record.

I personally think it will be a good thing for them. Keeps them out there doing what they do best which is entertaining the fans. And the best of all it keeps them out of that horrible Andre the Giant Battle Royal.

16. rko57

rko57 The Icon

I'm okay with it as I find them to be entertaining. Silly and dumb sometimes, but entertaining. Their one liners crack me up, like the Russian thing with Lana yesterday. Or the "Kevin, when was the last time you jumped over anything?" from a couple months back. Those should be enough to keep it fun at WrestleMania

What I wish they would've done was hold the titles all the way to WrestleMania 33 to then drop the titles to Enzo&Cass. This could've been a "passing of the tag division." Oh well, what's done is done. I'm okay with it instead of them being thrown on the preshow.

17. Spencesc11

Spencesc11 Getting Noticed By Management

Hosting should be left to retired wrestlers not ones that should be on the card. Creative has really struggled putting together this Wrestlemania for sure! Have to agree that it should've been New Day vs. Enzo/Cass at Mania. That would've been a solid mid-card match for sure.

18. Sexcellence of Sexecution

No it wouldn't. It would be two fan favorite teams that normally get a strong babyface reaction ultimately having their reactions split in half by going against each other. It would be completely counter-productive. Those teams need to work against heels. They aren't Hogan and Warrior in 1990.

19. Vanilla Midget

Vanilla Midget Registered Suplex Offender

We won't know wether it's ultimately good or bad, because it hasn't happened yet. It could wind up being a pointless and forgettable moment, it could have lasting repercussions. Pointless and forgettable: The Miz hosting SummerSlam. Lasting repercussions: The Rock hosting Mania 27.

What are New Day doing at WrestleMania if they're not hosts? There are no three man tandems for them to feud with. Are they in a multi-man match for the Raw tag titles? There's little to no way they're winning that.

New Day are best delivering promos, so why not see them in the promo role. They'll be interacting with legends. They'll be able to get physical, unlike a lot of potential legend hosts. They'll share the ring with The Rock, Mania is in Orlando, you'll know that he'll be there.

The Rock's segment is inevitable. It might as well be comedy with the New Day instead of not putting over the Wyatt Family like last year.

Here's the other thing: being the host doesn't necessarily mean they won't be in a match. They likely won't, but it's not definitve.

In all likeliness, this is because WWE doesn't have anything meaningful for them at their biggest event, yet sees their value in selling the event. They have value, they're still very over. They're not my favourite, so hopefully this is the beginning of New Day evolving.

Perhaps this will lead to change in the New Day. Would the group work if one or more members were broken away? There's a 2017 draft likely looming, so who knows?

New Day aren't going to break up or turn heel at WrestleMania. They're ultimately stronger together as each brings something that the other lacks. It's honestly too bad that there hasn't been a proper Wyatt Family feud or even The Shield around to feud with them. Maybe AJ comes to Raw and New Day can have a proper feud with The Club.

The Rock host Mania set up the next two WrestleManias. New Day isn't The Rock. They're full time talent, so whatever happens here can be parlayed into lasting success or increasing mediocrity.

I like the talents in New Day. They've lost their edge though. They've lost adversity due to their sheer numbers. What are they up against if they're always outnumbering teams?

My sincere hope is this hosting gig propels them to new heights. There are worse hosts they could have chosen. This is ultimately a gigantic meh for me. Don't care either way.

20. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

It's a good thing. We all know how stacked this year's Wrestlemania would be. So instead of a throw-away multiman tag team match used as a bathroom break between main events or a pre-show match, WWE decides to give New Day a bigger spotlight.

It's Wrestlemania. It's the entertainment time of the year. It's fine with me.

21. Elchicano15

Elchicano15 Always posts around Mania Season.

I never really was a fan of having "guest hosts" for Mania, no matter who it would be. Anytime they have a host, Mania has to start with an opening promo which I always thought was a waste of time. To me it becomes a glorified RAW or smackdown live. I would rather much have a traditional curtain opening match to kick off Mania.

The one positive I see in this, is, Yes, it'll be funny, and since New Day are active performers we might have a quick impromptu squash match with New Day against the forgotten ones who didn't get a place on the card. Bo Dallas, Titus, etc. Hopefully in the beginning.

22. tomthebodz

tomthebodz Pre-Show Stalwart

No one should host Wrestlemania. The host(s) come out and cut a bullshit long winded promo about nothing in particular and it's just a massive waste of time and matches get cut as a result. Look at Mania 30, Hogan, Rock and Austin just wasted the first half hour of the event, it did nothing in the long run.

23. Dmbfantomas

Dmbfantomas Bald Billy was Better

That was an awesome moment where the three biggest draws in WWE history were all in the ring together. It was a tone-setter for the rest of the night being historical. We also got the fun Silverdome screw up, but even that was endearing.

24. Dmbfantomas

Dmbfantomas Bald Billy was Better

The New Day are my favorite tag team ever. I even liked them when they first started, as I could see the seeds being planted for greatness. It became a tree greater and stronger than I ever imagined. They are legitimately funny, all are good workers, and they're all exceptional on the mic. I'm upset that they don't have a match, but at least they won't get beaten by the League of Nations and then embarrassed again by 3 old farts. Now they'll probably get to embarrass 3 (different) old farts. Bully for them?

Also, IDK why people think it's gonna be E that turns heel. It's so clearly going to be Woods.

25. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

It's good for sure.

Why? Because the card is damn stacked unlike last year's Wrestlemania 32 where a bunch of injuries affected the card badly. New Day has been lurking around since losing the tag team titles and WWE ain't got any good match or feud for New Day at Wrestlemania. Only realistic option would be in a multi-team tag titles match but hosting the whole damn Wrestlemania is much more memorable and credibility of New Day improves for sure.

So it's good. Nowhere near bad.