Neville Asks to Leave WWE?

Discussion in '[Hidden] World Wrestling Entertainment' started by THTRobtaylor, Oct 10, 2017.

1. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

If true, I don't blame the guy. The cruiserweight division is more of an iron ceiling than a glass one. Nobody's breaking through once you get painted with that brush unless they do away with the whole thing, which they won't. Not for a while at least.

It would be nice to see him go away for a little bit before returning as a regular competitor. He'll never be a World champ, but he could easily be a multiple time IC or US champion.

2. Trance Metaphor

Trance Metaphor Floundering in Mid-Card Hell

I don't blame Neville if he doesn't want to remain on the Cruiserweight division. I feel like it's the similar case with Austin Aries. These guys are capable of so much more than being limited to a weight class division. I know what they can do against various opponents, so I feel like it's not fair to judge them as just Cruiserweights. AJ Styles in the past was once a competitor of the Cruiserweight division in the indies, but he has been on the main roster everywhere since. Neville has enough in-ring talent to put him against everyone he faced prior to the Cruiserweight division and we have even seen it. He was also a great NXT Champion. It's unfortunate that they didn't even give him a chance at the Intercontinental or US Championships. Meanwhile, guys like Kalisto got to hold the US title twice! This is also how I felt about The Brian Kendrick back when he debuted that gimmick and was entered in the WWE Championship scramble match. The guy had a lot of momentum and could have been booked better to compete for the Mid-Card titles. I see that with Neville. With the Cruiserweight division, there is only so much more he can do before he's done it all and there is no "what's next?" It'll just be rinse and repeat until it's stale. Nothing interesting is going on. Yeah okay, Enzo Amore has been added, and Kalisto...but once those guys have been dealt with, Neville would just continue to be the 'King of the Cruiserweights' and a 3-time Cruiserweight Champion. How long would that last before it gets old? With the main roster, he at least has a chance against fresh opponents for a longer period of time. I think Neville should go to NJPW where he could fight guys like Kenny Omega. I think it would be a much better place for leeway in competition as well as his own progression.

3. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

One difference with Aries, however, is that Aries had a major attitude problem and had heat with executives and pretty much the entire Cruiserweight roster. Austin Aries has always been a pretty big mark for himself and is known to see himself as a bigger star than most other people see him. Another thing to consider with Aries is his age and the fact that, despite his belief in himself, he genuinely isn't the mega star he thinks he is. Maybe things could've been different for him, no matter his age, if he'd come into WWE white hot, as AJ Styles did, instead of spending the last several years ultimately just spinning his wheels in the clusterfuck of a mess formerly known as TNA. Unlike Aries, Styles left and embarked on working a few years in Japan that saw him doing what many consider to be the best work of his career with highly acclaimed programs with people like Shinsuke Nakamura, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito and Kazuchika Okada.

4. THTRobtaylor

THTRobtaylor Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist

It's interesting that part of his reasoning appears to be that he was left off the Mania DVD and thus the royalties.

If that's the case, it may be a more financial decision. He's not going to be on a massively bigger contract than when he was in NXT... he's toiled for the year and then cut out of the biggest royalty maker of the year. It may well be that seeing what Cody is going and how Drew improved that he can make more money and a better rep out there than working exclusively for WWE.

I don't think there's much doubt now there's some kind of problem... it'll be interesting to see how WWE react... jobbing him/not releasing him will look pretty bad on them but at the same time, if they do let him walk, who is next?

5. Trance Metaphor

Trance Metaphor Floundering in Mid-Card Hell

While I understand that Austin Aries had an attitude problem, I feel like despite that, he still would've been underutilized by WWE going by the current Neville example. He was already included in the Cruiserweight division and by Neville's example, it would've been a near-prophetic parallel. There is nowhere to go but down. With or without the attitude problem, I don't think Aries would've even made it onto the main roster to face anyone and do anything of much value. I'm kind of glad Aries ended up leaving instead of sinking. He may be a mark for himself, but I think a lot of wrestlers are. Bret Hart and CM Punk are pretty high on themselves as well, and yet I do personally feel strongly about their talents just as I do about Austin Aries. Seeing this guy go from ROH to TNA and having all the successes there, I would've loved to see him at least get to the top of NXT and somewhere down the line have those dream matches against his former indies brethren. While he is no AJ Styles in terms of reinvention, I feel like WWE could've exerted more effort into building him up into a better and bigger star...it's just unfortunate that their vision of him was as a Cruiserweight exclusive. Hell, I even enjoyed him as a commentator. And if guys like Enzo Amore can get rewarded for their attitude or backstage problems, I don't know what that says for everyone else to be honest. This recent Neville situation just makes me scratch my head.

6. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that for certain individual, the fact that WWE is still considered the ''land of the giants'' doesn'T help them. I look at Neville and Aries as prime exemples of that. Both guys are very talented Cruiserweight style wrestlers, but them with guys like Strowman, Reigns and Lesnar for exemple, they look like jobbers.

Plus in the case of Aries, i think the fact that he really didn'T put any effort in changing anything about his presentation was what killed him in WWE. The guy was technically the same guy that we saw in TNA and ROH and it'S such a one dimensional character that i don'T care how talented you are you're not going to past a certain level if you're not willing to change which was aries downfall. As for Neville, i think that if he would have rode the wave, at some point he probably would have been able to go to the midcard and maybe fight for the ic title at best but even that, i think would have been a stretch mostly because of how much guys their are in the mid card right now and the fact that you really need to find a way to get notice which not everybody is able to do.

Right now, he's not release yet so let's hope the cooler heads prevail and that they can find a way to resolve this even if it's to send him back to NXT and be the face of the Brand down there.

7. Jack-Hammer

Staff Member Moderator

The latest tidbit, via PWInsider.com, is that Neville wasn't even at Raw this past Monday and that he's pushed for a release from the company with the idea of going to the indies and making a name for himself outside of WWE, similar what Drew McIntyre did before he returned to WWE via NXT. The report also alleges that Neville's been unhappy with "several factors" but the one it mentions is being left off the WrestleMania XXXIII DVD, which means he receives no royalties from what's usually the best selling wrestling DVD release of the year.

I'd forgotten that his match with Aries was left off the WrestleMania DVD this year, that's money that doesn't go into Neville's pocket and it was also one of the best matches of the entire show. As more and more of this is coming out, at least based on the reports, it comes off to me that a picture is forming little by little of Neville being someone that's not been appreciated for his efforts and the contributions he's made.

8. Wildcat66

Wildcat66 DELETE!

There's a bit of a miscalculation with the logic Neville showing.

In Drew's case, he was going nowhere during his first run in WWE; losing to everyone left and right, stuck in a comedy jobber stable with Slater and Mahal, the full package. Drew realized that he needed to prove himself before WWE could take him seriously and decided to embark on the indy scene until last year when he returned and joined NXT.

With Neville? He's gotten a main event styled push in the division, he's winning just about every single match possible, he held the Cruiserweight title longer than anybody else. I would kill to have that sort of push if I was him.

Also; that reason he's supposedly leaving seems a little selfish. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to make money, he does. But if not being on the WrestleMania XXXIII DVD and getting no royalties is going to get you all in a knot, then that's a little childish.

Am I saying this is the straw that breaks the camel's back? No. But it does make it seem slightly less likely that he's making a return.

9. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

If Neville does want to leave then that truly sucks. I was hoping to see him move on to the Intercontinental or United States Championship scene at some point. I can't say I blame him if the rumors end up being true. The Cruiserweight division is a joke and 205 Live is useless. If he was going to be stuck there forever having to lose to Enzo after dominating the division then be demoted to doing nothing relevant on the least important WWE show, then him wanting to leave makes sense. I hope he sticks around. Moving on to the Intercontinental Championship would be good for Neville as well as for Raw but things don't look good if all this ends up being true.

10. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

If it's true the reason he walked out is because of royalties then it sucks. I mean, would it have killed them to put that match on the DVD considering it was a damm good match. Sometimes the WWE makes you shake your head at the decision they make.

11. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

So pretty much the same reason that Aries left. Me's seeing a pattern here.

12. Psykohurricane55

Staff Member Moderator

If that was the case and he left because his match wasn't on the dvd, then a lot of performers should be mad as well since the whole preshow of wrestlemania wasn't included on the dvd. They're probably another reason why he wants to leave. As for him trying to reinvent himself like mcintyre did. The problem with that his that mcintyre as the look that wwe like and didn't have as far to go to reinvent himself. I thin no matter what e does om the indy's, wwe will always look at him as a cruiserweight that mostly because of his size. He's never going to be look as a top guy within the company.

13. Jack-Hammer

Staff Member Moderator

More rumors continue to pop up concerning this and it's becoming more and more apparent that Neville is indeed gone.

The latest bit arises out of royalties concerning the WWE 2K18 video game, namely that Neville and the other Cruiserweights won't receive any royalties but, rather, a flat fee. This comes on top of Neville's WrestleMania match with Austin Aries not being part of the WrestleMania DVD, which means no royalties there either.

Other reports claim that many WWE officials, chiefly Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn, don't see the Cruiserweight Division as important or to be taken seriously. Plus, the CW wrestlers have to be at both Raw and SmackDown Live and the matches for 205 Live are recorded late when you have to know a lot of the talents are tired.

If it's true that Vince doesn't really take the Cruiserweights seriously, and I'd say that it is true, then it's pretty much par for the course. It's obvious that Vince isn't a fan of the CW style of wrestling as a whole so I don't really know why he even bothers to keep the division going. As more allegations come out, I get the feeling that Vince might actually think he's doing them a favor by letting them work for him and should be happy with whatever comparative crumbs he tosses their way. It's the kind of outdated mind set and perspective that has so many fans waiting with baited breath for the day Vince no longer runs WWE.

14. Psykohurricane55

Staff Member Moderator

The weirdest news just got reported that Neville might stay with the company after all and the plan is still that he will be the one to take the title away from Enzo after Enzo regains the championship from kalisto.

If that's the case, that's good news because Neville did alot of good in the division and now that the division is been taken a little bit more seriously then it was a year ago and they are putting a little bit more effort into it, he could be a great asset for the division and have a great match with Kalisto at one of the big four event.

15. THTRobtaylor

THTRobtaylor Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist

Interestingly it's being reported Nia Jax may well be gone too... so it's not just a cruiser problem... A lot of talents are growing tired seemingly, and losing that fear of leaving WWE. That is a problem for Vince...

16. Mantaur Rodeo Clown

Mantaur Rodeo Clown X-Pac Rules

He probably would be a good fit in Japan. Considering that's where he was before WWE and all.

Neville had all the talent in the world and was really on the fast track to being the next big superstar, until he made the fatal mistake of being born under 6 feet tall. Sure, his goblin like face and fandom of Newcastle United held him back, but he was able to overcome all that by juicing himself to the gills in Dragon Gate and doing awesome flips. But his frankly idiotic decision in choosing not to be 6 foot 4 in a company run by Vince McMahon is his undoing.

Baron Corbin is currently the United States Champion. Is he a better wrestler than Neville? No. Is he a better promo? No. Is he more over than Neville? No. But my god is he tall.

Neville can go push Will Ospreay and KUSHIDA's shit in for a year or two then return to the front row of an NXT Takeover in a few years as the hottest free agent in sports entertainment and probably be no worse for the wear. It's either that or they bring back the cape and put him in another feud with the star of CW's Green Arrow.

17. Kodo Sawaki

Kodo Sawaki Championship Contender

He should have known that NXT and 205live doesnt give you that much money. Think Aries bragged few days ago how he makes more now then in WWE even as WWE prides as top company. If it was money issue, he was suppose to know that he wouldnt make much with direction he was going. And seek his opportunity in some midcard of WWE or change companies while ago.