NCAA Football Thread - 2010-11

utah, miami, nd, uconn, usf, wvu, cincy

bama, iowa, osu

Just to clear something up, Pitt clearly has a tougher schedule than Penn State this year, and most every other year for that matter. No question, really. Pitt has 7 pretty legit opponents, Utha, Miami, Notre Dame, Uconn, South Florida, WVU, and Cincy.

Penn State has only has 4 opponents as good as any of those 7, Alabama, Iowa, Ohio State, and Michigain State. Maybe Northwestern can be added to that list. Not sure though. Also, this is the only year in forever Penn State hasn't played 4 cupcakes in a row nonconference. Over the last few years, Pitt hasn't neccessarily been better than Penn State over the past few years, but at this point, they're certainly comparable programs.

If you're going to have Uconn as a tough game for Pitt then you have to have Michigan as a legit opponent for PSU because Michigan absolutely dominated Uconn on Saturday. Northwestern certainly has to be added as a legit opponent as well considering the fact that they have had back to back 8 win seasons.

Most years I'd agree that Penn State has a pretty cake schedule but this year it's different. The Big Ten is stronger this year then it has been in the past and PSU is also taking on the defending national champions on the road. I still think PSU is overrated this year and will probably only win about 8 games but their schedule is definitely tough.

Penn State has only has 4 opponents as good as any of those 7, Alabama, Iowa, Ohio State, and Michigain State. Maybe Northwestern can be added to that list. Not sure though. Also, this is the only year in forever Penn State hasn't played 4 cupcakes in a row nonconference. Over the last few years, Pitt hasn't neccessarily been better than Penn State over the past few years, but at this point, they're certainly comparable programs.

Uhhh...the first three of those teams are all ranked in the top 10, including both the #1 team and the #2 team in the nation. And as Big Sexy pointed out...if UConn gets the nod...shit, I am going to add to that...if UConn AND Notre Dame count as a tough opponent, then you HAVE to give Michigan that same credit, as they have beaten both UConn and Notre Dame already this year.

Speaking of cupcakes, I hear they make some pretty good ones over at FAU, Syracuse and New Hampshire...

State won again yesterday, 30-17, to improve to 2-0.

Positives:
-The running game was efficient yet again. Edwin Baker had over 150 yards and Le'Veon Bell had 50 on 10 carries and a TD. I know it's only been WMU and FAU, but seeing the run game become a factor like it was 2 years ago, which was our best year under Dantonio, is exciting. Especially since our #1 back in the depth chart, Larry Caper, hasn't been on the field yet. It appears it really will be a better year this year running then last.
-Run defense allowed only net 45 yards on 34 carries, which obviously is a pretty good ratio. We're looking quite well against the run.
-Special Teams. Dan Conroy made three tough kicks of 50, 44, and 41 yards. Those aren't automatic, even in the controlled conditions of Ford Field. Keyshawn Martin also had some good returns to put us in great position, and field position will be key next week against ND.
-We were well disciplined yesterday, only having 4 penalties for 43 yards, compared to FAU's 11-85. These are fundamental things that have to be right, and they've looked so good so far. Hopefully, with next week being in prime time at home, we can draw a few offsides/false starts to help ourselves out. The crowd will definitely be a factor next week.

Negatives:
-Lack of passing game. Cousins only threw 17 times yesterday, but didn't get to 200 yards yet again and only threw 1 TD. I'm not alarmed by it, considering we do have a lot of weapons and Cousins hasn't had a great deal of attempts, also that we needed to get our run game going these first two games to set us up for ND, but if this production continues we'll be too 1 dimensional. I doubt this will happen though.
-3rd and 4th down efficiency. We went only 1-7 on 3rd downs, while FAU went 9-18 combined on 3rd/4th. Teams can't continue to move the chains while we continue to fail. Just can't. Otherwise we'll be putting ourselves in bad position and other teams will continue their drives.
-Pass Defense. While the running game looked great, allowing FAU to get 256 net yards passing isn't a good sign, especially when Notre Dame is right behind them. Our Pass defense HAS to be able to deflect and cut some passes away, and we need to get some kind of turnovers. Getting turnovers will always help us win a game.

I'm not quite as comfortable against ND as I was at the beginning of the year, but ND had trouble stopping the run game of UM last week and that's the tone that we're gonna have to set if we're gonna win. The throwing game should open up starting then as well. Our Pass Defense is the biggest question. If we can hold the big play out and keep Crist in check, we'll win this game by 7-10 points. If not, we might suffer a bad loss. I'm thinking we will, and I'm gonna say that due to our running dominance on both sides, along with the great potential of our passing game, that we pick up the win next week, in prime time, 31-24, and go 4-0 to begin big 10 play (we have N. Colorado a week after). This really is a big game this season and will show me if we are gonna be contenders or pretenders. I'm wishing it's the former.

Oregon went down 6-0 yesterday on two field goals and didn't touch the ball before the lightning delay. Our offense was alright in the first quarter, but our run defense was atrocious. Poole had 140 yards or so in the first half, including a touchdown to put Tennessee up 13-3 40 seconds into the second quarter.

After that, it was all downhill for Tennessee. Oregon tied it up by halftime at 13, then stormed the Orange and took the fight out of the fans at Neyland by scoring 35 second half points. LaMichael James found his rhythm, Kenjon Barner had 250 total yards and a touchdown, Darron Thomas showed his outstanding speed and playmaking ability, and our corps of receivers and tight ends all performed exceedingly well. After being down 13-3, our defense held Tennessee around 100-150 yards for three quarters and our offense scored 45 consecutive points.

Take that, TEAM SEC.

Took Oaklahoma yesterday as my lock of the week. I wish I would have put a thousand on that game. I didn't actually get to see much of it, so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if Florida State looked as over rated as I thought they might be this year. Also, BAMA KILLED PSU....ha ha...just had to throw that in there!

Well week 2 in college football is over so I'll just go over my teams and a few others. Michigan Denard Robinson is a bad man over 502 total yards that's insane. Big Blue had me worried after The Irish scored late but Shoelace drove Michigan down the field for the game winning TD. Sc we played like crap on offense nothing doing I guess we thought we could keep some of those points we scored in Hawaii. At least defense looked good for Sc though but only 17 points at home against Virginia not good. Wow did Jacory Harris suck 4 ints I guess I overrated The Hurricanes this season. I know it's week 2 but you can just put Alabama in the national title game I can't see anyone beating The Crimson Tide this season. Ohio State I believe Pryor is overrated I really do I think Ohio State is gonna lose two or three games this year. So my national title game prediction is Alabama vs Boise State.

Oregon went down 6-0 yesterday on two field goals and didn't touch the ball before the lightning delay. Our offense was alright in the first quarter, but our run defense was atrocious. Poole had 140 yards or so in the first half, including a touchdown to put Tennessee up 13-3 40 seconds into the second quarter.

After that, it was all downhill for Tennessee. Oregon tied it up by halftime at 13, then stormed the Orange and took the fight out of the fans at Neyland by scoring 35 second half points. LaMichael James found his rhythm, Kenjon Barner had 250 total yards and a touchdown, Darron Thomas showed his outstanding speed and playmaking ability, and our corps of receivers and tight ends all performed exceedingly well. After being down 13-3, our defense held Tennessee around 100-150 yards for three quarters and our offense scored 45 consecutive points.

Take that, TEAM SEC.

Are you kidding? Oregon played Tennessee. They're rebuilding and pretty much suck. The fact that Oregon struggled for a half is ridiculous in and of itself. You want to make a point to the SEC? Let's see Oregon play one of the SEC heavyweights and they will get their ass handed to them just like everyone else.

Actually, there is one set. We'll see just how just how good Oregon is in week 1 next year when they play LSU at Jerry World. A game which I will be at btw. Fact is the other conferences just can't play with the best in the SEC. We have 4 straight national championships and have never lost a BCS title game for a reason. THAT is dominance.

Are you kidding? Oregon played Tennessee. They're rebuilding and pretty much suck. The fact that Oregon struggled for a half is ridiculous in and of itself. You want to make a point to the SEC? Let's see Oregon play one of the SEC heavyweights and they will get their ass handed to them just like everyone else.

Actually, there is one set. We'll see just how just how good Oregon is in week 1 next year when they play LSU at Jerry World. A game which I will be at btw. Fact is the other conferences just can't play with the best in the SEC. We have 4 straight national championships and have never lost a BCS title game for a reason. THAT is dominance.

You do realize that time difference, traveling, and the crowd will play a factor into a game, right? Yeah, the game was at 7 PM, but they were traveling across 3 time zones going into a hostile environment and after the first half kicked the ever living shit out of UT. Let's see Florida and Bama go out of the fucking south and see how well they do. Florida looked like shit against fucking Miami of OHIO. Bama's looked good, but they've played SJS and a vastly inferior Penn State team that had a QB making his 2nd career start.

And LSU is a joke. They should've lost to a UNC team that was down 7 starters and down by 20 at the half. Allowing them to come back is a joke in itself. Oregon will smash them, especially since it's a 'neutral' site, even if it's only a state away for LSU, compared to a few for Oregon. Considering the SEC gets every title game, aside from the most recent one which saw Texas lose their star 5 plays in, in their backyard, is a bigger advantage then you think. Put a game up north in, say, Lambeau Field, and OSU will win.

This 'SEC is head and shoulders above everyone else' theory is a joke. They're the best, but heavily, heavily overrated. There's a bunch of teams that I would take over most of their elites (Auburn, Florida, Arkansas), with only Bama being a favorite in probably most of them. However, on neutral field, those games are neck and neck and it's not blowouts for the SEC like you want to believe.

Oregon did pound Tennesee, but Tennesee really isn't that good. Nothing to brag about, but still a solid win. And there's no way LSU is going to be a great team this year, should hang around the top 25 though. If Jefferson was at least competent, they'd be a top 10 team, I'd say. I was more impressed with UNC than I was not impressed with LSU. Yates looked legit, and if they get their guys back, they could certainly win the SEC.

As for what conference is best, I think is has to be the SEC until someone knocks them off. They've won what, 4 titles in a row with 3 different teams? That's impressive. For me, order of the 6 major conferences is split between two tiers, the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 in the top tier, and the ACC, Big East, and Pac 10 in the bottom tear, in some order, with the MWC lurking behind them.

As you all might now know, MSU beat ND this week, 34-31, thanks to a GW 29-yd FG Fake TD Pass. Now, onto the goods of the game:

-The Call. It took a shit ton of guts for Mark to make that call and, even if it wouldn't have worked, I wouldn't have had a big issue with it. He was playing to win, and it was like a 46 yard attempt, certainly NOT a chip shot, especially with a kicker that had limited experience. Clearly he looks great because the play turned out well, but I wouldn't have crucified him if the decision would've backfired.
-The running game continued it's success, gaining over 200 yards for the 3rd straight week. Granted, ND's run game got torched the week before by Robinson as well, but I thought it was crucial that our run game continue doing what it did in the first two games by pounding the rock and controlling the clock. Bell and Baker both averaged over 6 yards a carry, and hopefully, with N. Colorado up next week, Caper can get some important touches to get himself back into a groove to create a deadly 3 headed monster between them.
-The passing game finally woke up. It was a little slow in the first half, but I think ESPN showed Cousins completed his first 11 passes of the 2nd half, which was well into the 4th quarter. That's what I like to call great efficiency. They finally opened it up for Kirk, and he responded pretty well after that INT in the end zone. Cunningham and Martin both had big games, having at least 7 catches and a TD, and having a good balance between the passing and running game is important for us.
-The Run defense contained Allen for the most part. He only had 92 net yards on 26 rushes, which is less then 4 yards a carry. Yes, ND's system isn't designed to be a running powerhouse, but keeping those totals low forces 2nd and 3rd and longs, instead of 2nd and 5s or 3rds and 3s. This is obviously the strength of our D.

Bad:
-Penalties. After we shortened the penalties to under 5 last week, it got back up with a lot of costly penalties. Right before the half we had 2 false starts back to back which pulled us out of field position and out of a FG range. We won't be able to get away with that come conference play. 11 penalties is way too much to give up.
-Passing Defense was torched by Crist. A lot of them were short little throws and runs, but ND did have their fair share of 15+ passes that were completed. Our corners were going up against ND's best weapons in the receivers in man to man coverage, but we can't let 4 passing TD's go by. We lucked out today, but if Penn State, Wisconsin or Iowa happens to do that we will be screwed because they actually have competent D's.
-3rd down efficiency wasn't great. We were only 6/17, which is a little above 33%, aka not that good. We've had a problem getting into 3rd and short situations, which is why the percent is so low. You aren't gonna have a great chance of succeeding when you're constantly having 3rd and 7's and 8's.
-While it was only one play, I simply HATED the INT in the red zone. That's the 2nd week in a row that has happened. In that situation, with everybody covered for well over 5 seconds, Kirk should've just tossed that sucker into the back of the end zone and taken the points. Or, if anything, tuck it and slide when you get close. You never want to take points off the board, especially when it's against a team who's pretty much equal in skill to you. Kirk appeared to have learned his lesson after that, as he was much more efficient and smarter with controlling the ball after that.

Overall, I'm ecstatic that we beat a team that was actually worth some competition. No matter what their record is, facing ND is a tough task. This win is a big one for the program, as well. Not only was it against 1 of our top 2 rivals, but it was in prime time, on national television, with a finish that will be remembered for years to come. Not to mention there were some highly touted recruits at the game as well, and no doubt they'd be impressed by what they saw. Hopefully this is a game that can help this team take the next leap. We'll walk all over N. Col. next week, and then it's when the real fun starts. Taking on the Badgers in 2 weeks will help us figure out where we really stand, since ND is 1-2, even though they easily could be 3-0. If we can pull off the upset on Wisconsin, which we can since it is at home and most of our guys will (hopefully) be healthy), it will give us a whole lot of momentum going into our biggest game of the season against UM.

Ugh, I said a mouthful, but one more thing. Get well soon, Coach D. Our guys will be playing their asses off for you. Don't come back until you are ready. You're health and long term staying with this program is more important then 2-3 games missed, no matter what the circumstances are.

I'm not sipping the Oregon kool-aid just yet. Let's put aside the fact that I'm a USC fan because, first and foremost, I'm a fan of the game.

After losing Masoli it looked like Oregon's season might be headed down the drain before it even began. Yet, Thomas and Costa have proven to be efficient and potent in Kelly's offensive scheme. James is absolutely ******ed and has scored me an absurd amount of points in my college fantasy league.

HOWEVER, Oregon has a habit of starting out really strong and putting up a couple of ducks (no pun intended) along the way. I still see Stanford, Arizona, and Cal (yes Cal) as potential problems for Oregon because of their overall team speed and defensive capabilities.

Oregon has USC in the Coliseum which mean we will probably beat them since we can only beat a team from Oregon outside of the state of Oregon, but on paper, Oregon should mop the floor with us. Especially with our young defense, piss poor discipline, and the fact that Barkley seemingly has come down with Sanchezitis. (He plays well one week and like shit the next).

It's tough for me to call the Pac-10. Right now I'd have to give the early edge to either Stanford or Arizona. Andrew Luck is clearly illustrating that despite all the pre-season blowing of Locker's penis, he's not even the best QB in his own conference, let alone the nation.

Nick Foles pieced together a masterful, must have drive against Iowa showing that a Stoops can finally win a big game for the first time in like a decade. That Arizona offense coupled with their defense could be something to contend with.

I like the program that Harbaugh has built at Stanford and they're still 14th in the nation in overall rushing yards despite losing Gerhardt to the pros. This is actually pretty damn good considering that they run a pro-style offense and a bunch of the teams that are, undoubtedly, ahead of them are operating out of a spread option or pistol.

Stanford is balanced on both sides of the ball. Passing yards could improve a little as they are 47th in the nation in that category, but Luck isn't making poor decisions with the ball and he has yet to throw an INT.

They are 3rd in the nation in overall PPG and I just believe that Harbaugh finally has everything he's needed to piece together a Pac-10 title. Stanford has a tough stretch coming up with Notre Dame this weekend in South Bend, Oregon next in Eugene and then down to the Coliseum to take on the Men of Troy. If they emerge from that unscathed you would have to consider them the overall favorites to win the Pac-10 and possibly contend for a national title depending on what happens with Bama-Arkansas and Michigan-OSU.

I didn't 'break down' MSU's game last week because, let's face it, it was Northern Colorado and I don't think I even watched a full quarter. With that being said, I'm back with another State breakdown, after we won 34-24 over #11 Wisconsin.

Good:
-We played a complete game. In the past years of MSU, there would be games where we'd jump out to a lead, but then once a team responded and the chips were against us, we'd fold. (vs. ND in 06 is the most clear example of this) However, even with 3 first half turnovers, we were still going into the half up 10. Then, whenever Wisconsin seemed to score, we had an answer. Sure, we got stopped on a 4th and short, but we had a 3 and out and punched it in on the next drive. The D played it's first good game against a competent offense, which will definitely need to show up next week in the big game against Michigan. Plus, they only had 4 penalties, none being on the Defense.
-Special Teams. Not only did Keyshawn Martin get a punt return touchdown, MSU's first since 02, that shifted the momentum to State and helped them take control of the game. Dan Conroy remained perfect, even if they were both 36 yarders, it's still good to have a kicker that can punch it in. I think this was the real difference as to why we won yesterday.
-Kirk Cousins had arguably his best game of the season. Aside from the two picks thrown, he looked quite awesome throughout, which is what I was expecting from him throughout this year. You take away the picks he goes 20/27 269 yds and 3 TD's. That's damn impressive. His 3rd down passing was his biggest strength. I don't know what his exact numbers were, but I believe at one point he was 9/11 or 9/12 with 5 first downs. That's exactly how he's gonna have to play next week, which he should considering Michigan's defense couldn't stop the Michigan State BASKETBALL team from scoring touchdowns on them.
-The pass defense for the first time played well. Scott Tolzien isn't a bad quarterback. He's not great, but he's not terrible. They benefited from some timely Wisconsin drops, but they didn't drop 14 passes, which is how many incompletions he had. 11/25, 127 yards and 1 touchdown. That's how you make a team 1 dimensional.
-Run offense continued to play well. They didn't break 200 for the fifth straight game, but they did get 175, with a bulk of them coming from Baker and Bell. Wisconsin has a stout run D, which makes me confident about next week with regards to running the football.

Bad:
-Run defense didn't really contain Wisconsin. Sure, John Clay didn't get over 100, but that's because he was injured early and never really was the same. The other back, White, had 98 yards on only 10 carries, plus 2 TD's, both of which could've been avoided if Johnny Adams didn't take such bad routes to the ball. This will be the key place to be successful next week in containing Robinson. Keep the big plays from happening. He'll, barring injury, probably break 100 again, but try to have the other guys beat you and, when you have your hands around him, don't let him slip through. If you can't bring him down, at least hold on until teammates get by and help you out. Containing the big play of Robinson will be the biggest factor, imo.
-3 turnovers in the first half. No matter how you shake it, they did give the ball away 3 times in the first half by turnovers, and they won't be able to get away with that next week if they plan on beating Michigan. I only saw the first pick by Cousins, and it was just a bad decision. It was the same thing against ND. Sometimes he'll make 2-3 shows that he shouldn't, and he has to limit those to just incompletions, because turnovers in a game like MSU/UM won't be helpful at all.

Not a whole lot of bad to say here. This really was our best game of the season, and thankfully, it was against probably the 2nd best team on our schedule. Hopefully we stay on this emotional high and take care of UM, because if we do, our schedule is quite favorable to finish 6-2 at worst, imo, and even the Penn State game we should be favored. This next week will really tell us where we are. If we win, we're legimate Big 10 contenders since we don't have OSU on our schedule and the only two good teams that we will play after is Iowa and Penn State, which I think are both almost toss ups. We don't need to shut Robinson down, but if we contain him, say 6-7 punting situations throughout the game, I think we'll be in good shape. UM has pretty much shown they can't stop anyone with a lick of offense, so we should be able to hit 30 for our 6th straight game. Our D will be physical with Robinson, so if we can give him a few good shots early it will wear on him late. Really excited to next weeks game, because people around me keep giving me shit about State, even though they are 5-0, and have looked pretty good in pretty much every game. I'd love nothing more then to beat UM for the third year in a row, start 6-0, and shut those guys up for yet another year. It will be an interesting game, and I can't wait.

You do realize that time difference, traveling, and the crowd will play a factor into a game, right? Yeah, the game was at 7 PM, but they were traveling across 3 time zones going into a hostile environment and after the first half kicked the ever living shit out of UT. Let's see Florida and Bama go out of the fucking south and see how well they do. Florida looked like shit against fucking Miami of OHIO. Bama's looked good, but they've played SJS and a vastly inferior Penn State team that had a QB making his 2nd career start.

And LSU is a joke. They should've lost to a UNC team that was down 7 starters and down by 20 at the half. Allowing them to come back is a joke in itself. Oregon will smash them, especially since it's a 'neutral' site, even if it's only a state away for LSU, compared to a few for Oregon. Considering the SEC gets every title game, aside from the most recent one which saw Texas lose their star 5 plays in, in their backyard, is a bigger advantage then you think. Put a game up north in, say, Lambeau Field, and OSU will win.

This 'SEC is head and shoulders above everyone else' theory is a joke. They're the best, but heavily, heavily overrated. There's a bunch of teams that I would take over most of their elites (Auburn, Florida, Arkansas), with only Bama being a favorite in probably most of them. However, on neutral field, those games are neck and neck and it's not blowouts for the SEC like you want to believe.

I forgot about this, but back to defend the SEC. Let's get the obvious out of the way. We're a third of the way into the season and it's clear that the SEC isn't as dominant top-to-bottom like it generally is with Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Georgia in particular being normal powers that are just bad this year. Florida is definitely in a post-Tebow hangover and that offense just doesn't have it right now. Bama exposed them last week. All that being said, I'd still take Auburn, Arky, Florida, LSU, and certainly Bama against most every team in the country. Also, the reason that the SEC doesn't generally schedule more than 1 tough OOC game is because the teams that we have to play week in and week out. For example, LSU already has played 2 ranked teams with another this weekend. Then 3 more left to go, at least 2 of which will likely be top 10 at the time.
How many ranked teams will Oregon play? 2 or 3? You're right, that's just as hard as an SEC schedule.

That being said, Oregon has certainly looked to be the best so far outside of Bama and that would be a matchup I'd love to see because rest assured there would be no running up the score on that Bama D and Saban. They'd hang for awhile, but Bama would be just too much.

Now more to your points. Using OSU as your example of a team that could beat an SEC power is a joke and you've already lost the argument right there. More than being THE OSU, they are THE most overrated team in the country year in and year out. Oregon and definitely Bama would annihilate them just like every other year. And you understand that the reason that all the BCS games are in the south is because of weather right? The same holds true for the NFL with the Super Bowl sans Dome stadiums..it's in Florida like every other year, though it is going North in a couple years which should be interesting. And as for the comment about Texas last year ... was McCoy hurt going into the game? No, Bama took him out on a completely clean hit. It happens.

Lastly, on to my Tigers. What can I say, but the Mad Hatter strikes again. I was furious at the time, not to mention dumbfounded after the events of the Tennessee Game. Now it's rather comical. But with Lee, we seem to have found our QB and that goes a long way in looking at the rest of the season. Florida is pretty beat up after Bama hammered them and with this nasty LSU D and Special Teams led by one of the top 5 players in college football in Patrick Peterson, I think we'll definitely be in this thing and probably win it AT Gainesville, which is never an easy task. Don't look now, but Ridley is leading the LSU in rushing ... not Ingram or Richardson. If Lee can continue to play well and get this offense on track, this team has scary good potential and may be the one to knock the Tide off their throne in Death Valley.

I was impressed with the way South Carolina played against Alabama even though I was scared when they opened the second half with mistakes.

With Alabama no longer unbeaten, Ohio State and Oregon are in the driver's seat. Oregon's toughest game looks to be at USC and Ohio State's toughest in my opinion is next week at Wisconsin. If both Ohio State and Oregon get past those, then they will be in the championship game. I'll say the other three teams in contention are Boise State, TCU, and either Nebraska or Oklahoma.

Utah is an interesting team that can give TCU fits. If TCU beats Utah, then I could see a scenario in which TCU jumps either Ohio State or Oregon. Nebraska's schedule is average the rest of the way so even if they do run the table and beat presumably Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game, I don't see the Cornhuskers being in the top two.

Here's how I think the title picture looks right now:

1. Ohio State
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Boise State
5. Nebraska/Oklahoma

Unless three or four teams above them fall, I don't think Alabama is going to the championship game.

I think the most surprising part of the game was how Garcia played. Here's a guy that gets pulled basically every other game, nad he wnet out there and led his team to 35 points against Alabama. The announcers had it right when they said the throw he made on 3rd down with Dareus coming right at him was the play of the game. If they go 3 and out there, I think they're in serious trouble. Instead, they have a long TD driving that basically won the game for them.

In my opinion, Alabama should move to the back of the line behind all the undefeated teams, but that's not going to happen. They'd certainly get in over a undefeated TCU and likely over Boise as well.

There are currently 13 undefeated D-1 teams reamaining, but not all of them are contender's here's how I see it.

13. Oklahoma State - haven't really played anybody. I don't think they're even ranked. Even though the Big 12 is pretty weak this year, they'll have more than a few losses.

12. Nevada - an undefeated Nevada team would have no shot at a national title anyway. I wouldn't doubt if they finished with 11 wins though, before a loss to Boise.

11. Missouri - have a really good young QB (Gabbard?), but they aren't going undefeated. They haven't beaten anyone yet and have struggled with the likes of San Diego State. They still have to play Oklahoma and Nebraska back to back weeks.

10. Utah - another team that may go undefeated, but it won't matter in the slightest. They've been spanking people this year, but their schedule isn't overly tough. They still play TCU, who they very well could beat.

9. TCU - as good as they are, I don't see them getting in over any 1 loss team from a power conference. It's just not happening. I'm not saying they're not deserving, as they likely are, but realistically, it's not happening.

8. Michigain State - undefeated, but all their games have been close to home. However, if they win at Iowa, which I don't think they will, they have a real good shot at going unbeaten. I just don't think they're good enough though.

7. LSU - they still have go to Auburn and Arkansas as well as face Alabama. With their QB situation, they're losing at least one, likely 2 of those games. I'd be shocked if they finished unbeaten.

6. Auburn - interesting team here. Cam Newton is a beast, but they did give up 34 points to Kentucky yesterday. They still have Arkansas, LSU, and Alabama on their schedule, so I think an undefeated Tigers team isn't happening.

5. Boise - as much as I'm a Boise supporter, and think they deserve a title shot, there are other teams that I think have a good shot of going unbeaten who would certainly get the nod before the Broncos. I have no doubt Boise State is going undefeated. I can only hope they don't sneak a 1 loss team in ahead of them though. That's just complete garbage.

4. Oklahoma - don't have a really tough test until the Big 12 title game, likely against Nebraska. Landry Jones is a good QB and they're definetly national title contenders.

3. Nebraska - have basically the same schedule as Oklahoma until the Big 12 title game. I give them the edge though because of their insane rush attack and stifiling D.

2. Oregon - controls their own destiny. Toughest games remaining are against Arizona and Oregon State at the end of the season. It's pretty doubtful that they lose either of those. For all this fuss about this schedule shit, their's isn't much tougher than Boise's.

1. Ohio State -a few tough games left, at both Wisconsin and Iowa as well as the Michigain game which is always a tough one. I'd say it's pretty likely they go undefeated though, which would certainly assure them a national title oppurtunity.

I'd love to offer some thanks to Wisconsin, without them beating OSU we'd still have a possibility of having two undefeated Big 10 teams at the end of the year not even playing each other. Now as long as we do our business, there's no doubt we should do worse then 10-2, strongly 11-1, and a chance at 12-0. Obviously Iowa is still looming, but our D has gotten progressively better with each passing game. Yes, Illinois has a freshman at QB who made some bad decisions, but holding that attack to 6 points, a week after they put up 33, is impressive. We always seem to get timely turnovers and get the big first downs when we need to. Looking at how hellacious our schedule is next year, with an improved ND, OSU, UW, Nebraska, UM, if we're gonna make a run at a national title soon, this SHOULD be our year. Yes, some recruits will want to come now that we're getting more on the national stage, but it's tough for teams in BCS conferences to go 7-0 in consecutive years, so we better take everything in stride and hope these guys play their tails out each and every one of the last 5 games. They have the ability to win every game, it's just a matter of if they will.

Very excited for the following month and a half, especially with my Spartans being a darkhorse contender. As for my predictions of the BCS Bowls right now, it'd be:

BCS NCG: Auburn (SEC Champ) vs. Boise State (At Large)
Rose: Michigan State (Big Ten Champ) vs. Oregon (Pac 10 champ, loses to USC)
Sugar: Alabama (At Large) vs. TCU (At Large)
Fiesta: Iowa (At Large, loses to MSU) vs. Nebraska (Big 12 Champ, beats 11-1 OU in Champ. Game)
Orange: Virginia Tech (ACC Champ) vs. West Virginia (Big East Champ)

BCS NCG: Auburn (SEC Champ) vs. Boise State (At Large))

You've got to be kidding me with this one. Auburn has zero defense ... Arkansas' backup QB put up 300 yards and 4 td's on them. You just can't win if you do that. Offense wins games, but defense wins championships. Auburn and Cam Newton will get a rude awakening this weekend when they get punched in the mouth by the best LSU defense since that monster year in '03. And I can't in good conscience pick them against Bama either with a pretty damn solid D themselves.
They are improved under their 2nd year coach, but not ready for a national title yet, if ever. They have a history of the bottom falling out when it appears they're primed for something great and it'll be the same story here.

Interesting day in college football yesterday with LSU beating Alabama and TCU crushing Utah. I think Alabama would of been a lock in the national title game if they would of won at LSU yesterday and beaten Auburn the last week and won the sec title game but now if Auburn losses the last week at Alabama and ends up winning the sec title game I don't know if they would play for the national title over TCU and Boise State especially after what TCU did to Utah. May this be the first time a non BCS team gets to play in the national title?

I think if Auburn/Oregon do lose before the end of the season, TCU has a great shot to get in. Looking at the remaining AQ 1 loss teams, LSU probably doens't have a chance because they'd need Auburn to lose twice to have a shot to win the SEC. Also, they have the worst QB play in the country. I don't think Nebraska is legit, neither is Michigain State. Wisconsin is interesting, but like LSU, they may not win their conference.

I think if TCU has a chance to play in the title game, they're definitely capable of taking down someone like Oregon or Auburn

Ultimately, as far as the national championship game goes, what TCU did to Utah was irrelevant. Even if both Oregon and Auburn lost a game, the BCS cartel will still find a way to fuck over an undefeated Boise State and TCU. I have stated this before, and I will state it again. The BCS is FIXED. RIGGED. CORRUPT. They will never, ever, ever allow a team from a non AQ conference play for the national championship. Their excuse will be the same as always, that their strength of schedule simply doesn't match up, that while Boise and TCU dominate their non AQ conference, how would they do in the Pac 10, Big 10, SEC, etc. and use that to justify continuing to list AQ conference teams ahead of them in the coaches poll, which has a significant influence on the BCS rankings. I wish that this wasn't the case, I wish that they would give the little guys a chance, but they won't. We need to stop living in the bullshit dreamworld were a mid major team gets a fair shake. It's fantasy. Reality says that if there is any chance to fuck over a non-AQ team, they will be fucked over by the BCS. What we are going to get this year is exactly the same thing we got last year. BSU and TCU will be paired against each other in one of the other BCS games, allowing the BCS selection committee to claim the system "works", while two 1-loss BCS conference teams play for the national championship. Until the NCAA adapts a playoff system, mid majors will NEVER have the opportunity. There is too much money at stake.

I don't think Oregon is going to lose their remaining games so the hopes of TCU all ride on Auburn vs. Alabama. If Auburn beats Alabama, they are going to the title game so we don't have to worry about an non-AQ team getting in. TCU will get into the title game if Auburn loses because the SEC East is average. If South Carolina would have had beat Kentucky and Arkansas then I could see Auburn getting in with 1 loss based on the Gamecock's victories.

I think Boise State is out of the title picture because they have a .866 average and if both Oregon and Auburn lose a game because I don't see them dropping that far below Boise.

Oregons not losing another game so their basically a lock for the national title. Now Auburn on the other hand im not sold on them at all. Auburn has only played three road games this year and they struggled with two being Kentucky and Mississippi St. Auburn plays all their tough games at home and struggles with them. If Auburn beats Alabama in Alabama then they absolutely deserve to go to the national title game but if they lose they'll be exposed for what they are, a good team not a great one.

I think if Auburn/Oregon do lose before the end of the season, TCU has a great shot to get in. Looking at the remaining AQ 1 loss teams, LSU probably doens't have a chance because they'd need Auburn to lose twice to have a shot to win the SEC.

I have to respectfully disagree good sir. LSU can in fact make the BCSNCG without even going to the conference championship and I shall explain how.

Auburn beats UGA, loses to Bama, then loses SECCG.
Oregon loses to OSU.
LSU wins out.

Sorry to say, but the national championship has NO CHANCE IN HELL of being Boise vs TCU, just not gonna get both in there. LSU will remain at the head of the one-loss teams with the late season losses by the top 2, and with a game still to play @ Arkansas who may be top 10 by that time. In this scenario LSU would jump probably the lowest of the non-AQ and likely play the other one for the MNC.

I think Oregon is a lock unless they lose out, considering the way they've crushed their opposition, which includes an SEC team (albeit a pretty bad one), Stanford, USC and, if they win next week, Arizona.

Auburn has to win the SEC, imo, because no one wants a repeat of 2003 when Oklahoma lost the Big 12 championship to Kansas State, but got thrown into the BCS Title Game anyway. I think they can also get in with one loss, but they're a lot more vulnerable to TCU and BSU than Oregon is.

TCU, by waxing Utah, should have locked up no worse than third unless they lose. Boise State's big win was over Virginia Tech on a (kind of) neutral site and they needed to win in the last minute. Even if Virginia Tech wins the laughable ACC, I think the TCU win is bigger. And if Auburn stumbles, TCU could get in. I also think they're a better matchup for Oregon anyway.

LSU is in the same spot as 2007 Georgia if Auburn doesn't lose out in the regular season. They may be playing well, but they didn't even win their division.

That's just my take. Sorry if everything I said has been mentioned earlier in the thread. I didn't read through the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back