NBA is Boring this Season

J.J.

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Thus far to me anyway. Basketball has always been my heart..well it took a third place to my wife and kids. I've watched NBA, College basketball and played Collegiate ball. Although this is appearing to be a record breaking season for Steph Curry individually, his team and the retirement tour of Kobe Bryant I am just unphased.

The problem isn't the players: it's the rules and the refs. Ever since the game evolved into this perimeter-oriented, no-hand-checking chuckfest, players have learned a new way to produce points: get to the line.

I know that is no new concept to basketball players, but it is one that is stressed by guards now more than ever. Players know that if they dribble into the lane and create contact, they are going to draw a whistle, even if they aren't looking to actually make the shot. That has led to theplayer's crusade to the charity stripe, with recent masters such as Kobe Bryant, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, Chris Paul, Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, and James Harden. Hell, some of these players have made such an art of getting fouled that it has pushed them into the upper echelon. Take away James Harden or Kevin Durant's free throws, and they suddenly start looking a lot more like the everyday jump-shooters in the league.

You can't blame the players for taking advantage of the system, though. They are doing their job and finding ways to produce by whatever means possible, just like using the "Hack-a" strategy is a legitimate way to take advantage of an opponent's weakness. Until they change the rules or start enforcing them differently, players are going to continue to put this onus on the refs to draw the whistle, and it's only going to get worse as more and more developing players realize this is a way to add 5 PPG to their average.

Just my opinion I feel the league has weakened the game of basketball.

Players aren't shooting free throws any more now than they did in previous seasons or eras. In addition to that, I've enjoyed what I've seen thus far. The only thing that is frustrating me is the Raptors.

And what in the name of all things holy is going on in the West?

The thing with the Raptors is someone other than Lowry and DeRozen has to step up. Injuries are ultimately killing yall and Cory Joseph has to be more stronger - have better games. Toronto will be a much better team when yall have more than 9 players that are able to suit up and play in a game.

I see what you are saying. However I have to disagree that it's this season. This season the NBA have actually smartened up if you ask me. James Harden would just get the whistle every single time last year, all he would do was make sure your arms go over his so he can quickly push up and get the contact. This year the refs are letting it go for him way more times than not. They know he is looking for that contact so he ain't getting those calls anymore. I don't know what is free throw rate would be but I could imagine it's down from last year. Another good example is Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony. Now Anthony still gets to the line 6 times a game but the amount of no calls these guys gets it's ridiculous. Melo literally has to get sexually penetrated in mid air for anything to be called on him. It's also funny that Kobe (and Melo) were getting these calls when they were younger or earlier in their career when it wasn't even a foul compared to now where they get hacked every game.

Like I was saying before the NBA is definitely stepping up it's game to make all the rules implemented. You still see travel every single possession but they are now getting stricter on palming the ball, kicking your legs out, using your arm as a guard when going for a layup, moving screens.

Like you said though you can't blame players for taking advantage of the system. I would and plan to do it when I can play basketball next.

The only thing I am having a problem with is how it's basically Warriors against everyone. Most seasons you have a few contenders that could win. This year it's hoping for a miracle that the Spurs can beat the Warriors over a 7 game series. I feel like whats the point in even continuing the season. If Cavs and Spurs don't beat them in the next month then they should just call mercy on rest of the league. This ain't like Miami with the big 3, or the Shaq and Kobe Lakers, or the Spurs. Those teams atleast are human and can have an off night. Not these Warriors. Really it's beautiful to watch but I'm sick of watching it haha.

1996-2000 to me is one of the most boring stretch of basketball. You have the league on life support hopelessly banking on Jordan's appeal to save them from bankruptcy. They were so desperate, that every athletic wingman or UNC grad is pegged as the next Jordan.

Personally suggesting one era is better than the other would be unreasonable but my personal favorite era was the 80s. In every decade or era, there is a timeline of bland and uninspiring basketball and there are seasons that completely stand out. For example, 91-93 was dope. I don't care what you say, but Jordan in his prime was a once in a lifetime, especially against the Knicks.

2001-2003 was decent until the Finals rolled in, the league invested heavily in Shaq-Kobe. We did see Iverson and Carter duke it out in the playoffs and McGrady delivered the dagger against the Pistons. 04-05 was a snooze fest but Spurs-Pistons series did save it from going down as the worst.

2006-2011 were the finest years recently to me. You can all disagree but that was the perfect storm for me. Lakers-Celtics, Dirk putting on one of the best post season run by annihilating the Lakers and the Heat. Wade, Lebron, Arenas and even new comers like KD and Brandon Roy were giving us plenty of highlight reels. Not a fan of them? No problem, Duncan and Gasol were schooling everyone in the post. And if you feel like going retro,
Shaq, Mutombo, Zo and Kidd were somehow in the mix.

This season is GS, Spurs and rest of Western Conference. I yawn. The eastern Conference is above .500 till you reach the bottom 4 teams or so. Two months from now I'll be watching the talent representing another uninspring All Star event.

I wish I was old enough to have witnessed Jordan in his prime. Heck I didn't even really start watching NBA until 2005 so I never got to see him. All the documentaries and just reports on how good the 80's ball was has me drooling. If only there was a time machine.

If I was to pick my favourite year of basketball in the last 10 years I would have to go with 2008-2009. You had 6 western conference teams with 50+ wins and then two with 48 and 49 in Utah and Hornets. Eastern Conference was good but unfortunately Celtics weren't 100% going into the playoffs. Lot of awesome moments from just the 09 playoff series alone.

The thing with the Raptors is someone other than Lowry and DeRozen has to step up. Injuries are ultimately killing yall and Cory Joseph has to be more stronger - have better games. Toronto will be a much better team when yall have more than 9 players that are able to suit up and play in a game.

The Valanciunas and Carroll injuries are really affecting our depth. But players HAVE stepped up to keep us (at least) afloat in a tough Eastern Conference for now. Bismack Biyombo has really begun to beast it on the glass and Terence Ross is finally filling that role spot that the Raptors had in mind for him when they drafted him. Also, I think Scola has done a good job at minimizing the loss of Valanciunas.

I agree with you about Cory Joseph though. He has great moments, but consistency is key for him. Like you said, I think once we get everyone back, the Raps will push up on Cleveland.

I have to completely disagree that this NBA season has been boring. IMO, it has been one of the most exciting NBA Seasons in a long time.

For the last few years, it's been the same old story in the NBA. It started in the 2007, when the Celtics added Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen to their roster. Ever since then it's been about teams becoming Super Teams. Then all of a sudden, for teams to be successful, they had to have multiple all stars on there roster. So James and Bosh go to play with Wade in Miami, Howard and Nash go to play with Gasol and Bryant in L.A., Melo goes to play with Stoudamire in NY, and so on. Then the narrative became all about Miama in the east and who could possible stop them.

So this year has added some new elements to the story of the NBA. Nobody thought the Warriors were going to come out like beasts. Steph Curry has become THE premiere player in the league. The West as a whole isn't quite as good as it once was. For once, there's more than one team in the East that has a chance of making it to the Finals. I mean, I was so excited to see the Cavs vs Warriors on Xmas Day that it was ridiculous. We finally got to see a fully healthy Cavs team face the Warriors and it didn't disappoint. It was good game that went down to the wire and the Warriors proved that they are as good as they say and show. If that's not exciting, IDK what is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back