Most overrated movie of all time

i'm hearing scarface and godfather and its making me cry. Movies for the ages. Scarface is a wonderful movie that shows absolute power corrupts absolutely. And the godfather. omg. Its not the godfather 2 but what is.

Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Every movie person here is going to crucify me for this, but to me it's Citizen Kane.

For years I had heard that this is the undisputed greatest movie of all time. It's a masterpiece and a showcase of how great Welles was. Ok I thought to myself. If it's this good I need to sit down and watch it. So one night I found a copy of it and watched it.

HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF CRAP THIS MOVIE WAS BORING. Nothing happens for nearly two hours and then all of a sudden it turns out it's the damn sled that caused him to become this huge monster of a personality that almost ran the world? Ok, I get that it was symbolic of his childhood and all that, but it took an hour and a half to get to that? Everything in the movie was supposed to be symbolic and representing all kinds of things, but that doesn't make it good. It makes it well made I guess, but that doesn't mean it's an entertaining movie. I was sitting there waiting for greatness to happen and it never did.

Since it's considered the best ever and it isn't even interesting, I'd certainly call that overrated.

"It was his sled. It was his sled from when he was a kid. There, i just saved you two long boobless hours." - Peter Griffin, Family Guy from 'Screwed The Pooch' Season 3.

That one line convinced me to never waste a single second of my time on Citizen Kane, and now KB you've just said the exact same thing (more or less), so yeah, definitely won't be bothering.

As far as my pick, I'll go with Taxi Driver. I was bored as fuck throughout the whole movie, waiting anxiously for the exciting scene that (I thought) was ahead, and instead got some weird ass, jumbled ending. And people think this movie is great? WHAT. I don't understand how anyone can watch that movie more than once, it's just weird as shit. Awful, awful movie.

I actually really enjoyed Taxi Driver. I found it interesting to watch Travis Bickle go from isolated Taxi Driver to gun toting lunatic purely due to the fucked up crack heads and pimps he comes across in his day to day life. Plus the way he himself is encouraged to kill the Presidential candidate after the girl who works at the campaign office dumps him without really explaining what he'd done wrong.

I guess it's because i can kinda relate to him. I often find my inner thoughts getting more and more violent and dark with each passing day i have to work in retail being talked to like i'm sub-human by people who actually want my assistance. I don't think by any means that the film lives up to its hype, but i don't agree that it's an awful movie, but to each his own.

Mine would probably be Raging Bull (seems to be a De Niro/Pacino trend forming here). I like the majority of De Niro's work, but this movie bored the hell out of me. Literally all i can remember is that it's about a boxer and Joe Pesci's in this film as well. Honestly, couldn't tell you anything else about the entire film, THAT's how little it interested me.

Thank You to the people who said Twilight. My choice Twilight. I really don't see what's so special about. I mean I do like the movies and there okay. But they are great. They aren't special at all. I personally found the first movie to be boring. The second one was okay. The third was the best. But they weren't classics. People act like these are so great. But it's not. The acting is borderline horrible. Pretty much anybody could play the part of Twilight. It just seems not a lot goes into his character. And there kinda boring. I don't know.

How can you say Twilight is the most overrated movie ever when it's actually rated very low ? It's popular with tween girls and makes money at the Box office but it's panned by critics and is considered a joke by the film industry.

Holy shit that was the movie I made this for. I didn't think it was even close to as good as people were saying it was. And now its time for my Avatar rant

I never got why people liked this movie when all it was was a ripoff of pocahontas. The alien dudes were even indian-like. There philosophy of nature, the style of their hair, and even their tribe name screams idians. And also the script was garbage. It had a generic lead character with mindless military of antaganists. It was all made worse with the acting. I don't know if it was the directing that caused this, but the acting was extremely terrible. And the what takes the cake is it being 2:20 long. Now If it were a good movie, then I wouldn't mind if it were a good movie like the prestige or the godfather but it wasn't. So the long length made it ten times worse.

Let me finish by saying its not a bad movie. Its an okish movie. It has some cool effects. But I'm tired of everyone saying how great it is and then seeing that it has a 94 % metacritic rating when a ten times better movie slumdog millionaire has a 86. And finally I am tired of all the awards for the 2nd rate pocohontas knockoff with preety colors.

P.S. Titanic was a great movie. Maybe a little overated, but still one of the best movies of the 90's.

Very well said, and yes Titanic was a great movie(I'm a straight guy and I can admit this).

I thought Titanic was the most overrated movie.. Until I saw Inception.

The plot tried to be all "intelligently simulating" but in reality, I don't think the writer(s) and director knew what the hell was going on. "A dream in a dream in a dream in a dream but you aren't really dreaming because you are really not a sleep.. Gotcha! You are dreaming that you are dreaming!" I've seen Vince Russo angles that made more sense. It doesn't help that a lot of reviewers are going "If you don't understand this movie, you are an idiot!"

Not to give Titanic any slack. I am all for predictability because it works a lot of times. But, we all know how the boat ended up. Did you really need to take 3.5 hours out of a lot of people who were dragged to the movie's lives?

Just because you didn't understand Inception doesn't mean it isn't a great movie. I and most who saw it understood it perfectly as did most critics and I would be shocked if it did not win Best picture at the Oscars.

I agree with SSC and pretty much everyone else, Avatar and Titanic are the two most overrated films ever.
Avatar was liked because it was pretty to look at, but was a boring shitty film that had an awful plot. There was literally nothing good about that movie, aside from the special effects. The fact that it was the highest grossing movie of all time when masterpieces like Apocalypto are pretty much not even thought about disgusts me.

Titanic was very predictable. I know how the movie ends already, the boat fucking sinks, so what's so good about it? Well, like other crappy movies in the same genre (i.e. Pearl Harbor, 2012, etc.) this movie turned a tragedy into a love story. The movie was boring, predictable, and extremely sappy, therefore I render it as overrated.

Logic fails. Just because you know what's going to happen in Titanic doesn't mean the movie isn't great. It's a very well made movie and one of the most iconic films ever made.... did I mention the doezen Oscars it won including best picture.

I would like to say Avatar but I haven't seen it just haven't got around to it, but it still looks shit to me.

However I'm going to go with anything Tim Burton has made besides Big Fish.

Almost everyone I know sweats Tim Burton's nutsack, and I've never understood it. Nightmare Before Christmas is alright, it's somewhat creative and different, but it's not the fucking masterpiece many claim it to be. Edward Scissorhands is almost decent but gets ruined by shitty acting. Big Fish is his best movie and is also the only one that doesn't have the Tim Burton feel like every movie he does. His movies are far too similar, the style, look, and mood of his movies are now uncreative and lackluster, as he uses the same music, actors, mood, and look for every movie he makes over and over again. And his stories and ideas are becoming less and less interesting every movie he makes.

Shiity acting in Ed Scissorhands ? If you are talking about Depp than you need to get Lasik to fix your eyes. Depp's performance in that movie is iconic and beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back