Moment Of The Year

Discussion in '2010 Wrestling Awards' started by klunderbunker, Dec 1, 2010.

?

Moment of the Year

1. Hogan Debuts in TNA

2. Angle's Moonsault Off Cage

3. Bret Hart Returns/Hugs Shawn Michaels

4. Nexus Debut/Riot/Roberts Choked Out

5. AirBourne Into RKO

6. Cena Has To Join Nexus

7. Miz Wins WWE Title

8. Shawn Michael's Farewell/Undertaker Respects Shawn

9. Daniel Bryan's Return

10. Shawn Michaels Loses at Wrestlemania/Shawn Does Throat Slit

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

Had to cut out the AirBourne into RKO which I was there for and blew my freaking mind.

2. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

Screw it we're having a Promo of the Year Award too so no Piper's Pit.

3. #1Peep

#1Peep Pre-Show Stalwart

I will give my vote to the Nexus' debut which would result in one of the best storylines in recent memories and truely was the biggest shock/moment of the year for me. I can also see a few stars coming from Nexus including Barrett, Gabriel and Otunga which will benefit the WWE in the future.

4. Joe's Gonna Kill You

Joe's Gonna Kill You The Hunt is On

I am also going to give my vote to the Debut of Nexus it was Shocking and Excellent and it started what is the Best Angle of the Year. Although it doesn't matter my Second favorite Moment of the Year was Hogan it was Monumental and I never thought I would see Hogan in TNA wrestling.

5. Wade's Public Transit Bomb

Wade's Public Transit Bomb Championship Contender

Cena joining the Nexus was the most surreal moment of the year. Gotta go with that.

6. The Doctor

The Doctor Great and Devious

This was a coin-toss for me between the initial NXT Riot (Nexus Invasion) and Bryan's return.

The NXT Riot was monumental, shocking, and it changed the WWE completely. no one saw it coming. The forums exploded right after it happened - I was up until three in the morning helping clear the waves upon waves of spam and reactions with KB and Ty. People were calling it the "Best RAW Ending in YEARS". When I was watching it the first time, I was shocked, confused. I wanted to know what was going on. We all wanted to know. Watching it again several months later, the whole beatdown is SCARY. The raw emotion put into it, from Bryan choking Roberts with a tie, to Gabriel's thousand-yard stare before nailing the 450...just chilling.

As for Bryan's return, that was an immense shocker that no one saw coming. The dirt sheets kept it quiet. The WWE kept it quiet (Well, they accidentally spoiled it on their website, but I wasn't on the computer at the time so I didn't know). I was watching Summerslam with some friends and was telling them about how my favorite wrestler was fired a while ago, and how cool it would be if he returned - but I knew it wasn't going to happen. And then...it did. It was insane. I never expected them to really bring him back. I had made a thread in the Wrestling Spam Zone about how the circumstances are perfect, but acknowledged that it would never happen (And then Sly told me I was an idiot for even thinking it could) and then it did.

I'm really underselling how I felt when Bryan returned. Put it this way: My voice was hoarse and throat was sore for the next week.

That said, Bryan didn't go on to raise the questions or have the impact of Nexus. Nexus' debut was absolutely THE moment of the year. Nothing was more shocking, more emotional, more scary, and raised more questions than the NXT Riot.

7. Hulk Hogan's Brother

Hulk Hogan's Brother Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!

HBK's farewell was very emotional. And I never expected him to seriously retire forever and so suddenly. He gets my vote here.

8. RVDgurl

RVDgurl Mrs. Danielson

The initial Nexus debut was epic. In fact, it may be the moment of the decade. It had every element that a fan could want to kick off a great storyline. Shock, drama, Bryan Danielson, anticipation- it had it all in one single segment. Well done, WWE

9. Coco

Coco Mid-Card Championship Winner

Nexus Riot by a country mile.

10. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

I'm struggling to differentiate between moment of the year and surprise of the year, but my much mentioned marking the fuck out gives DBD's return this one.

Did I mention I marked out?

11. Loveless

Loveless A Life In Monochrome

You guys have got a short memory, this is Bret Hart returning and sorting stuff out with Shawn. Never thought I'd see that in a million years

12. DiscipleofWrestling

DiscipleofWrestling Getting Noticed By Management

There were several great moments this year: Nexus riot (despite my hatred for how it was pulled off), the Angle moonsault, Bret's return, the Airbourne/RKO moment, and The Miz capturing the WWE Championship. However, I went with the Shawn Michaels loses and performs the throat slit. It was perfectly done and really gave that character a great write off. There's Undertaker, ready to deliver the final blow, but he can't find it within his black heart to follow through. Taker actually begs Shawn to stay down, but Shawn shows the old resilient HBK one last time by doing the slit throat and slapping the Undertaker. It was a classic moment as you saw Shawn Michaels wanting to go down with a fight and the Undertaker pissed off and more than ready now to grant his wishes. Jumping Tombstone later, and Shawn Michaels is retired. When the Nexus angle is forgotten years from now, people will still remember the main event of WrestleMania 26 where Shawn Michaels and Undertaker delivered their final great match against each other.

13. The Brain

The Brain King Of The Ring

I have to agree here. This would probably have more votes if it happened later in the year. It was on the first show and people seem to have already forgotten it. The Montreal screwjob was a topic that dominated wrestling forums for years. To finally have closure was a huge moment. For as much as we've all talked about this over the years I'm surprised it's not getting more votes.

14. Coco

Coco Mid-Card Championship Winner

In regards to that, closure means we can move on and we have. We've moved on to Nexus. And their debut certainly has more finite consequences for us at the mo' than closure from 1997 does. We can't reach out and post in those Montreal threads that might have existed, but we can reach out and post in the Nexus threads which do exist.

Yep. I'm way too tired to be writing anything.

15. StraightEdge for Life

StraightEdge for Life Occasional Pre-Show

Orton countering Airbourne into an RKO was just absolutely awesome and got my vote only because it was unexpecting and how it was done just made Orton look unstoppable

16. hatehabsforever

hatehabsforever Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a really tough decision as 2010 had numerous spectacular moments. Everything on the list rightfully deserves to be there. The return of Daniel Bryan had me marking out in a manner that professional wrestling has not brought out in me in years. I literally jumped out of the chair when he came out, because not to pull a rattlesnake or anything, I had been predicting it for weeks. What a way to return, at the second biggest (arguably) PPV of the year, on Team RAW against Nexus. The fact that it was kept under wraps (until it got spoiled on that night) was impressive. The way they manipulated the IWC's understanding of the 90-day no-compete clause, which supposedly made a return at Summerslam impossible, was really good. Plus, they didn't overdo it. The return was great, but he did end up being eliminated, setting up a more gradual progression through the ranks in the latter months of 2010.

The Nexus beatdown was great too, nothing more to add than what has already been stated by others.

But the "burying of the hatchet" by Bret Hart and HBK was the moment for me. Even though it really has no long term ramifications for WWE, like some of the other moments do, it was a great moment in the history of pro wrestling, finally closing the chapter on the Screwjob and in the classiest manner possible. I personally never thought we'd ever see these two guys together again, never mind reconciling in the ring. It was a special moment, too bad it happened so much later that it couldn't have been advanced to a greater degree in terms of in-ring action, as health issues would not allow in 2010 what it may have allowed years earlier.

17. Vega

Vega ^______^

You can't reverse your pick once you voted, right?

I voted the Michaels / Undertaker scene. I hadn't that high hopes for this match after the great match the year before, but in the end I liked this a lot more because it had much more background and much more was on the line. In my opinion, the match was perfect. There were literally no flaws in my opinion and it had the perfect ending to WrestleMania and to Michael's more-than-great career. It was the first time in years I was that much into a match and I loved how Michaels kicked out of the Tombstone. Taker didn't know what to do, shows respect, only to be surprised by the desperate and never-giving-up, but vulnerable Michaels with a slap, then the most furious Tombstone in the history ends the chapter. Maybe the greatest piece of in-ring-psychology ever by the two greatest wrestlers ever (completely subjective, but my opinion after thinking about it).

But then I thought a second time about it and I want to choose the Bret Hart return with the Michaels hug (with the geniusly implied Sweet Chin Music before the hug) and the ending to that wrestling overshadowing over twelfe years wafting incident which created so much hate, embarrassment and frustration on many sides. To a degree, it destroyed Michael's few remaining pieces of an image as a cowardly cheater before he retired himself, broke the hovering curse over Bret Hart's career, saved McMahon from an image of an inhuman self-centred business man and finally took the loads off their minds. It closed a sad book of which most thought it would never be closed and I loved how it seemed that McMahon finally admitted that he did something wrong and that in fact the Srewjob put pressure on himself and he wanted to atone for that.

18. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Angle's moonsault off the cage was the only point this year at which I've thought that wrestling on TV had my undivided attention, so that.

19. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Championship Contender

On January the 4th, 2010, BRET FUCKING HART was on WWE RAW, and he HUGGED SHAWN FUCKING MICHAELS. Let that sink in for a minute.

Ask anyone if they could see that happening 5, 2, hell even 1 year ago, and virtually everyone would laugh you out of whatever building you're in. NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING else has even come CLOSE to topping that, which is saying something, since there have been a lot of awesome moments (Nexus, HBK retiring, Daniel Bryan's return, Miz winning the title). The old saying was "Anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation." Well, from November 1997-January 4, 2010 the prevailing thought was "Anything can happen, except Bret Hart appearing on live on RAW." Bret not coming back was the 1 guarantee in wrestling. Or so we thought. And not only did we get Bret Hart coming back home to the WWE, we get the most surreal moment in recent WWE history, when him and Shawn Michaels embraced.

In 2010, the impossible happened. How can that NOT be moment of the year?

TJ Matics likes this.
  20. GIMH

GIMH Lifelong Jerichoholic

Yeah, it's massive, but in August eight guys that 90% of the Raw audience had never even heard of six months earlier main evented WWE's second biggest show of the year (or third perhaps, debatable on the Rumble).

The Nexus debut was mad. It was something COMPLETELY unexpected. In an era where I read online that everything is cookie cutter and predictable, these guys ripped up the rulebook. There were people on my facebook immediately after it happened actually asking if it was real! As ridiculous as that seems, when wrestling achieves that then they've done something right (Bash at the Beach 2000 excluded).

The way they all looked a bit...dirtier...than they had done on NXT. The way they stepped forward and circled the ring. The sheer brutality of Skip Sheffield, a man who had been a complete clown on NXT. Goofy babyface Heath Slater going sick. Daniel Bryan's intensity. The icy stare of Justin Gabriel (think I might have stole that one from someone else in the thread). Tarver's animalistic behaviour.

I don't recall ever seeing the ring minus the mats on WWE TV before and that was a stunning visual. And it all linked back nicely to the promo Wade had done earlier on the show. I've heard it was planned on the cuff but so many parts of it slotted in nicely with what we had seen on NXT, such as Tarver wearing a 'nXt' vest a few times on that show, and the obvious nWo comparisons.

I could talk about it all day but I am aware I am rambling. This was the best pro-wrestling moment in....a long time.

21. Mighty NorCal

Mighty NorCal SHALL WE BEGIN?

I was in a living room full of senoir citizens when DB returned at SummerSlam. Even THEY marked out. My vote is easy.

22. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

How the hell is Nexus beating HBK/Bret?

23. Mighty NorCal

Mighty NorCal SHALL WE BEGIN?

The youth of the forum rearing its ugly head.

Its probably the REAL winner here, rightfully. I voted for the one I did becuase its such a fond memory to me, but HBK - Bret Hart was utterly fucking surreal, and I saw it a week after it happened. One of the most emotional moments ive ever had watching wrestling.

24. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Championship Contender

The poll is Nexus Debut vs. Bret/Shawn.

1. Are you telling me that you EXPECTED to see Bret Hart in a WWE ring ever again?
    2. Are you telling me you EXPECTED to see Bret Hart hugging SHAWN MICHAELS (and at least looking like they meant it)?
    3. I had people txt me asking if Bret was real. As in was it actually happening, not was it staged or real. Hell, I STILL can't believe Bret Hart was in a WWE ring in 2010.
    4. Bret/Shawn did even better then what Nexus did. They got people to actually start to think they were seeing things that weren't really happening.
    so a bunch of guys heel-turned or Gimmick-modified. Whoop-dee-doo. As awesome as it was, it was an invasion/stable storyline. It had been done before.

I'm not knocking the excellence of the Nexus debut. It was well done. The even more stunning visual (the only one this year that I literally didn't believe until I saw it) was when Bret Hart walked to a WWE ring in 2010 (with a new version of his music), called out Shawn Michaels, said something about maybe being friends, and HUGGED. Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart, literally the last 2 people wrestling fans ever expected to see in the same ring again, HUGGED. Again, they HUGGED. THAT could very well be one of the most surreal moments in WWE HISTORY, yet alone in 2010.
    As could I, but let me just say that as good as Nexus was, it wasn't the 2 faces of the early/mid 90's (whom had maybe the most bitter hatred for one another, and one of whom had a bitter bitter hatred for the WWE) HUGGING (HUGGING) in the middle of a WWE ring. This doesn't even include Bret wrestling 5 times in 2010 (including winning the US Title).

The Brain likes this.
  25. Macca

Macca The Sunflower Samurai

The night Raw became the NXT Asylum, my non-wrestling fan sister was watching next to me as it happened, not really sure what was happening, and then Lawler got flattened and before you know it, Justin Roberts was pulled up out of his chair. I'll never forget the look on her face, it was like she was watching that video of the Asian women stamping on the kitten with her high-heels.

They made a non-wrestling fan (and many actual wrestling fans) wonder if they were not watching an entertainment show, but an actual real-life attack on innocent bystanders.

Nowadays, my sister is more inclined to watch Raw whenever I turn it on. Bret/Shawn, while a powerful moment, would never have done that.