MMA in the Bar room!! *In memorium of JMT and TDigs' thread*

Discussion in 'The Bar Room' started by Mighty NorCal, Mar 2, 2015.

1. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

June 20th.

2. Nate DaMac

Nate DaMac Fuck erbody but me

Fuck. That's much longer than I anticipated.

And it's my birthday.

3. Khalifa

Khalifa Where it at doe?

I don't see how Rumble beats Jones. Jones has so many unique strikes that I don't think Rumble is really ready for. Jones also being so elusive makes it hard for Rumble to hit him so his power advantage isn't all that great. I think it'll be a great stand up fight and even though my respect has changed towards Jones after his incident, I still think he is the greatest LH fighter of all time and maybe one of the greatest MMA fighters of this generation behind say Silva and GSP. You could almost argue BJ Penn as well.

Man 2012-2014 real hard years to watch.

Jones beat Gus by points and I really don't know how anyone could argue it. Okay sure Gus won the first 2 rounds quite convincing but Jones easily won the last 3. His strikes just looked more menacing than Gus's.

Who does well against who doesn't mean anything in UFC. It's about matchups? Why is Jon Jones so good? Because he is tall as hell with like a billionjillion feet reach and obviously his strikes compliment that. How do you stop that? Have someone that is the exact same. By looking at the Jones fight it was easy to see Gus's real plus is his heart and endurance, he isn't the best at anything in his weight class.

As for Barao and Dillishaw, that surely has to have a second match. Dillishaw is one of the biggest underdog champions in history and Barao is bloody Barao so you wouldn't of expected the match to go that way, hence have it again. Wouldn't make sense for losers that weren't the former champs to keep getting rematches because you don't really expect them to win. I know you obviously know this but there is plenty of time for Gus vs Jones II, you gotta let Barao have a shot almost immediately because he was the former champ.

I would think so. I don't rate Kimbo but he always has that knockout punch and Ken has just batted his half century so how much does he really have.

4. Boring

Boring Occasional Pre-Show

51 Year old Ken Shamrock can not stand with Kimbo Slice for any length of time. And at his age, I figure he can't get the take down even against Kimbo. At 51, you're basically a grandmother whoever you are. Kimbo's gotten older since we last saw him, but even when we did see him he had no cartilage in his knees and guys like Roy Nelson had to take him down.

My guess would be that this fight looks plain awful, in that it's two old guys rolling around awkwardly on the floor. I don't expect a knockout, maybe a lot of blood, but at this stage it's basically a tough man fight between two bums. Tap by strikes is probably a likely outcome either way.

5. Mighty NorCal

Mighty NorCal SHALL WE BEGIN?

Ken Shamrock Is one of the baddest motherfuckers to ever walk the planet, and 51 isn't really that old at all. Not to mention, he is gonna be pumped full of synthetic youth.

Kimbo Slice got famous from beating up scrubs in street fights. He was an absolute joke at the professional level, and will now be facing an all time legend.

6. Boring

You're giving Shamrock too much credit. He was a pioneer 20 years ago, and yes, probably unnatural at that. He hasn't had a an MMA match in 5 years and is now 51, THAT IS OLD in MMA. Not to mention way younger guys like Tito and Stephan Bonnar looked like fossils when they fought and Tito owned Shamrock 10 years ago.

The argument could be made Brock Lesnar was more so a joke then Kimbo was. I don't know what fights if any were fixed, but Slice has wins over Houston Alexander and mma legend? Tank Abbott.

I don't give a rats ass for Kimbo and now his boxing career is a joke, but UFC has given us this image that if he doesn't get caught like he did with Seth and doesn't face a legit primed pro like Nelson and Mitrione, then his striking is fierce.

I hear grappling gets better with age, so Shamrock has a good shot, but I feel like Shamrock is the type who wants to get in their and duke it out. Probably convinced if things go south, he'll change his game plan, but doesn't consider getting caught.

7. Mighty NorCal

Only by a complete and utter moron. Brock Lesnar was a multi time NCAA champion wrestler. Kimbo boxed people under bridges.

"MMA legend" is a big stretch for Tank Abbot. More of a toughman competitor, while Shamrock is an accomplished martial artist and wrestler.

8. Boring

Ok then, you got me there. What I meant was, James Tony was a joke. He obviously was no multi time NCAA champion and was embarassed his 1 and only fight, as would Floyd Mayweather against a high level grappler.

9. Da Prophet

Da Prophet Mid-Card Championship Winner

I know you've already taken it back but please just give it a go and make the case that Lesnar was more of a joke than Kimbo.

Mighty NorCal likes this.
  10. Mighty NorCal

Lol that women's fight "was there anything about this fight that suprised you?"

"Yes, thay I didn't knock Carla esparza the fuck out" Lol

Man that was fun watching that cock little pissant Pettis get the shit beat out of him for most of that fight.

Decent show overall.

11. Da Prophet

Rafael dos Anjos better enjoy the belt while he can because the real champ is coming.

[​IMG]

12. Mighty NorCal

13. Da Prophet

People been waiting for this since December.

April 28, 1967, Muhammad Ali stripped of his heavyweight title. Jones really does love some Ali.

14. Mighty NorCal

Only the law had a shot at taking that belt off of Jon Jones

15. Nate DaMac

Nate DaMac Fuck erbody but me

Damn. The one MMA dude I gave a shit about. I listened to him on O&A a while back and he seemed super chill.

The fuck did he run for though? Like that shit wasn't going to be traced back to him.

16. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

I'm pretty bummed about it. Jon Jones is a brother in Christ who has lost his way the more famous and rich he got. I think growing up a middle child, not being the same kind of athlete as his brothers, really caused an inferiority complex that he hasn't been able to shake off despite his success. I pray that he gets his head together and gets back on the right path of not just being the greatest MMA fighter of all time, but an all around great person too, which I know he is capable of being.

At the same time the pro wrestling fan in me screams epic heel run with this turn of events, lol, but you can't mess with real life growth like that.

Both Daniel Cormier and Rumble Johnson are all class and tremendous fighters, and it'll be a great fight between them, but make no mistake about it, I will never call either of those two a champion until they defeat Jon Jones, or until the day comes when Jones walks away from the sport for good.

17. Mighty NorCal

His only two losses have been to the NM state police, and his own elbows.

Fuck, man.

18. Mighty NorCal

So reebok dropped Jon Jones too.

He did a stupid thing, but god DAMN this is insane how much is happening.....It makes me think there is a lot more fire providing smoke than we, the public, know of. This all feels kind of harsh.

19. ScreaminNormanSmiley

ScreaminNormanSmiley formerly ScreaminNormanSmiley

It may be harsh by famous athlete standards but if I got caught in a hit and run, especially injuring a pregnant woman, I would be in jail and obviously fired immediately. Not sure that I could call it especially harsh, just surprising that they haven't been more lenient.

20. Mighty NorCal

You would be fired from your job? (honest question, I don't mean that in a confrontational or indignant way)

You would be in jail if you didn't make bond. the bail was only 2500. Pretty low for something being looked at as so severe.

ScreaminNormanSmiley likes this.
  21. Da Prophet

It's not the first time Jones has fucked up. People have been calling for this since he crashed his car the last time. It's not a surprise sponsors are dropping him because they can only make excuses for so long.

22. ScreaminNormanSmiley

ScreaminNormanSmiley formerly ScreaminNormanSmiley

I would almost certainly lose one of them and have seen others lose there jobs for crimes that didn't bring bad press to the company like this. On top of that to plenty of people 2500 isn't a slap on the wrist, especially when it isn't a case that could later be won. There are plenty of times throughout my life that I couldn't pay that, would be in jail, and would lose my job for being in there and not being able to show up.

I'm not trying to say that he's some sort of monster but it's not like he is having to go through some unheard of or irrational hardships that he didn't earn. He hurt someone in a way that could have been worse and decided to run rather than man up and face what he did. I just don't see why just because he is a great mma fighter his mistakes should effect him to a lesser extent.

23. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

Jones will have his shot at redemption. Everyone loves a great comeback story. Let's see if Jones can put all this behind him and come back better than ever. I'm very much rooting for him to do so.

In other news, Khabib Nurmagomedov is out at UFC 187 with another knee injury. This may end up being something that he'll never come back 100% from. Sucks.

24. Mighty NorCal

GET THE FUCK OUT

What the hell is happening to this card!!

25. Mighty NorCal

Ol boy sure cant stay healthy for someone who is so disrespectful to his fellow competitors....