MLB Pre-Season Prediction: Who will win the 2015 World Series?

Akhilleus

Getting Noticed By Management
So we're getting ready for the 2015 baseball season. Let's see if anyone can predict who will win it all in October. I'm probably not going to go over specific win-loss records like I usually do for football, but I'll try to give an estimation and I'll say who'll finish in first and who will make the playoffs and not make the playoffs. Keep in mind this is just my own personal and unprofessional opinion.

Let's get started with the AL East. Looking at the depth charts, I think this is going to be one of those from first to last...to first again stories. The Boston Redsox look like they've turned it around to become one of the most prepared teams of the season. Their bats are solid all the way around. They could probably use a better catcher, I'm not sure how Vazquez is with his defense, but his bat doesn't stand out. However if Castillo and Betts pan out, their outfield could be the best in baseball with Hanley in the left corner. Then they have some power in the in field for sure, with guys like Mike Napoli and Pablo Sandoval at the corners, and then of course Ortiz playing DH. You've got Pedroia there at 2B, and the young but very talented Xander Bogaerts at shortstop. There's some young guys that need to live up to their potential to make this team as stacked as it needs to be to possibly win another series this season, but they have the pieces to go all the way.

Boston's rotation is it's weak spot, but even that is at least halfway decent. Ever since Koji Uehara took over their bullpen has been pretty solid. Junichi Tazawa is a great set up guy. Problem there is Uehara isn't getting any younger, and I think Farrell likes Edward Mujica better in the closer role if a replacement needs to be found fast...and Mujica sucks. Neither him or Tazawa are fit to be the long term replacements for Uehara at closer. Boston could very well try to get Johnathan Papelbon off the Phillies, and I'm sure they'd love to trade him.

So I'm predicting Boston to lead the AL East with around 90 wins. Baltimore Orioles will be right up there with them going for a wild card spot, and then Yankees and Blue Jays will be somewhere around that .500 spot. Rays will be last. They look awful, they have some good players but not enough to field a winning team that's for sure. Their bullpen is atrocious, and their rotation isn't anything that great anymore either with Matt Moore never staying healthy, and no more David Price.

AL Central could be a toss up between the Royals and Tigers again, but I'm going to go ahead and say the White Sox will jump in front of both of them and take it by a couple of games. They've got a great rotation, a great bullpen, and the bats to put it together. Tigers do have a good rotation too, but that's contingent on which Verlander we see. Joe Nathan's time as closer is about up one way or another, I think Soria will take over in the first couple of months. And I'm expecting Nick Castellanos to break out for the Tigers too and be a beast. For the Royals I think Ventura is going to have an even better season pitching than he did last year, but I think the Royals will fall behind the Indians this year. It's between Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland.

For the AL West, I'm going ahead and I'm gonna be a homer here and say the Seattle Mariners win it. They've been slowly putting together the pieces to have a great team. They had a good year last year, and this year looks even better. They have the best pitcher in the AL, and behind him some great young guys like Paxton and Walker, and then Iwakuma of course. Then they have Robinson Cano and Nelson Cruz in the lineup, Austin Jackson, Dustin Ackley. They're not stacked, but they have a team. I'm going to give them the division win with somewhere between 88-92 wins. The Angels will be right behind them by a couple of games, because their team is just as good. Especially if Josh Hamilton ends up getting out of this situation, I think he could have a big year. He's got a lot to prove, and he's the type of guy who always does real good after something like that. A's will finish just above .500, but not enough to make the playoffs.

So for AL seeding, I'm going to make Boston the number one seed. With Seattle second, and the White Sox third. Then Orioles and Angels in the wild card. Angels beat Baltimore in the wild card game, and go on to upset Boston in the divisional round. Meanwhile Seattle beats the White Sox. So it's a battle of the west between LAA and Seattle. The Angels win it in seven games to go onto the WS.

National League time. We'll start with the NL East, because it's by far the easiest. I think the Nationals will win 100+ games this year. It won't even be close. The Braves got worse, they have no batting whatsoever. Their pitching is good, but their outfield is atrocious. They have Freddie Freeman, that's about it. Miami will finish over .500, maybe with 83-85 wins. The rest of the teams in that division I predict won't get over 80 wins.

For the NL Central, I'm going to go ahead and homer for my second team and say the Pirates win it. But that's not all bias, like the Mariners the Pirates have the pieces to go all the way to the end this year. The scary thing is they've got a lot of young talent in their farm that could make them one of the best teams in baseball when it's all said and done. But let's focus on this year. They have the best outfield out there with McCutchen, Polanco, and Marte. If Josh Harrison keeps it up, which I think he will, he'll do wonders for that lineup. Same thing with Walker assuming the Pirates don't trade him near the trade deadline, and also Pedro Alverez if he stays healthy and gets hot at the right times. With Cole and Liriano in the rotation, they should be able to handle things for the year until Glasnow and Tallion get up in 2016.

I'm predicting the Pirates and the Cardinals to swap records from last year. It could've been anyone's game last season, only came down to a couple wins and losses. We'll give the Pirates 92 wins and the Cardinals 90. Brewers and Reds will be there but they won't be in the race. They'll both finish at or around .500. Cubs might finish in front of the Reds and Brewers, but they're also not playoff contenders, they have a lot of good looking bats especially with how Kris Bryant looks so far, but their pitching just doesn't do it for me.

Last but not least the NL West. It belongs to the Dodgers, they're stacked. All the way around they are stacked. One of their worst spots is third base with Juan Uribe...who is solid but, now they signed Olivera who could take over by mid year as long as those UCL problems don't end up turning into TJ surgery, which is that's the case it halts his progression for a year and then he's back for the start of 2016 (he's not a pitcher, he'll be fine). That team is going to finish with around 98-100 wins. The Padres really pulled out the wallet, they are going all in for this season. I think it's only going to get them 85-88 wins though. Giants fall off a lot, they end up finishing a couple games below .500.

So how is the NL playoff seeds looking? I'm giving the Nationals the number one seed and the Dodgers right there behind them. So Pirates get number three, and then we have the Cardinals behind them. To spice things up, I'm going say just for kicks that the Padres and Marlins tie and have to play to determine who is the last wild card. Shields out pitches Latos, but then the next game the Padres blow up and get dominated by the Cardinals. So the Cardinals move on to play the Nationals, who ultimately go on to beat the Cardinals in five games. Then we have Dodgers and Pirates, and the Dodgers also win in five games. So it comes down to Dodgers and Nationals. The Nats win the first two games with Strasburg and Scherzer pitching, but then the Dodgers win the next four to take it in six games and go onto the World Series.

So it ends up becoming a battle for Los Angeles. It's the Angels vs Dodgers matchup. I actually predicted this in one of my threads last year, I can't remember if it was preseason or if it was midseason or right before the playoffs. But I predicted Dodgers vs Angels and it sadly didn't come true. Let's see if it comes true this time.

Who will win the 2015 World Series? You don't have to go all out like I did. Just say which team you think is better than the rest and why.

AL East: I think Baltimore will win over Boston by a couple of games. I think Buck Showalter has what it takes to lead Baltimore to another divison title.
Winner: Baltimore Orioles

AL Central: I see the Royals and White Sox fighting it out and the Tigers will get the short end of the stick. David Price can only win so many games and with Verlander looking awful coming into the regular season I don't see the Tigers making it this year. With the moves the White Sox made I see them winning over the Royals.
Winner: Chicago White Sox

AL West: This is a toss-up between Los Angeles and Seattle. While Seattle seems ready for a playoff run, I just don't see it happening this year and with that being said Los Angeles gets the division title once again.
Winner: Los Angeles Angels

NL East: In what could be the easiest divison to win the Nationals will win this division and win it easily. The only team that could possibly contend is the mets, but like seattle it won't be this year.
Winner: Washington Nationals

NL Central: This has the potential to be the year for Chicago Baseball. But with this being a good division with the young and talented Pirates, and a great Cardinals team that always finds a way to win, it will be a tough road for the Cubs but they will come out on top of the division.
Winner: Chicago Cubs

NL West: To put it simply this division is San Francisco's to lose. They have a great rotation and as long as they stay healthy I see no reason to believe that they will lose.
Winner: San Francisco Giants

AL Wildcard: Kansas City Royals over Boston
NL Wildcard: Pittsburgh Pirates over LA Dodgers

ALDS:
Baltimore Orioles over Chicago White Sox
Los Angeles Angels over Kansas City Royals

NLDS:
Washington Nationals over Pittsburgh
San Francisco Giants over Chicago Cubs

ALCS:
Baltimore Orioles over Los Angeles Angels

NLCS:
Washington Nationals over San Francisco Giants

World Series: In what will be a back and forth series, the Nationals will win this 4-2 as their offense led by Bryce Hrper will be too much too handle for the Orioles, and Strasburg will have a similar standout performance as Bumgarner did in last years playoffs. This will result in a Nationals World Series win.

Regarding the San Francisco Giants, they are a post season team. The last three times now they've made the playoffs, they have gone all the way. But the key is actually making the playoffs.

And I personally think that while their starting rotation is solid, their bullpen is what is going to be their downfall this season. And Buster Posey is really their only star player, everyone else gets the job done when they need to but I don't think that's going to be enough to beat the Dodgers, or the Padres even who have gone all out to win games this year.

While I agree the Padres can win the division if their team comes together early on, I don't see the Dodgers winning because Clayton Kershaw is their only solid pitcher coming out of spring training. Zach Greinke isn't looking like his usual self. Then they have no definite 3rd pitcher so their rotation could be a big issue if they are trying to be serious playoff contenders. Also looking at their depth chart they have two 36 yr olds in Juan Uribe and Jimmy Rollins while both are solid players, Uribe having the better numbers out of the two last year. It is fair to say they won't be bringing in all-star numbers and the Dodgers seem to want to rely on Yasiel Puig and I just don't see him being the guy to lead LA.

I know we're a few days into the season but I'm going to post my predictions anyway.

AL East

Toronto Blue Jays
Boston Red Sox
Baltimore Orioles
Tampa Bay Rays
New York Yankees

I don't think this division in nearly as tough as it used to be and it's pretty much wide open. I feel kind of silly picking Toronto but I think there is some nice talent there and they can be the surprise team this year. Although I'm not sure how much of a surprise it would be with the big boppers they have. The concern is the pitching but if Bautista and Encarnacion can stay healthy and with the addition of Josh Donaldson this team can score runs in bunches. I surprised even myself by putting the Yankees in last. I didn't do it to be different or controversial. I didn't really even realize I did it at first. It just happened.

AL Central

Detroit Tigers
Chicago White Sox
Kansas City Royals
Cleveland Indians
Minnesota Twins

For the past few years Detroit has been the heavy favorite and while their window may be closing it hasn't been shut yet. The division has gotten a lot better and I don't think Detroit is going to run away with anything but I think they have at least one more year on top. Minnesota is the only team I don't see having a shot but they're putting together a hell of a farm system. Looking forward to seeing them back on top in another few years.

AL West

Seattle Mariners
Los Angeles Angels
Oakland Athletics
Houston Astros
Texas Rangers

I'll hop on the Seattle bandwagon. I don't like them quite as much as a lot seem to but I like them enough to give them the division crown.

AL Wild Card #1: Los Angeles Angels
AL Wild Card #2: Boston Red Sox

Angels over Red Sox

ALDS

Angels over Mariners
Tigers over Blue Jays

ALCS

Angels over Tigers

AL MVP: Josh Donaldson
AL Cy Young: Felix Hernandez
AL ROY: Dalton Pompey
AL MOY: John Gibbons

Stay tuned for NL predictions.

NL East

Washington Nationals
Miami Marlins
New York Mets
Atlanta Braves
Philadelphia Phillies

I think this is the most obvious run away. Miami should contend but I can't see them overcoming Washington. No one else is a factor.

NL Central

Pittsburgh Pirates
St. Louis Cardinals
Chicago Cubs
Cincinnati Reds
Milwaukee Brewers

The Cubs in third? It's my homer pick I guess. Pittsburgh looks like the real deal after back to back postseason appearances. St. Louis is always a factor. I'm probably selling Milwaukee short since they were in first for most of last year. I'm just not buying into them. I could see them easily finishing in third though.

NL West

Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Arizona Diamondbacks
Colorado Rockies

It's a whole new team in San Diego and they look like they should contend but I'm still going with the Dodgers. The three California teams should be in a good battle all season.

NL Wild Card #1: St. Louis Cardinals
NL Wild Card #2: San Diego Padres

Cardinals over Padres

NLDS

Nationals over Cardinals
Pirates over Dodgers

NLCS

Nationals over Pirates

NL MVP: Giancarlo Stanton
NL Cy Young: Jordan Zimmermann
NL ROY: Kris Bryant
NL MOY: Clint Hurdle

World Series

Nationals over Angels

While I agree the Padres can win the division if their team comes together early on, I don't see the Dodgers winning because Clayton Kershaw is their only solid pitcher coming out of spring training. Zach Greinke isn't looking like his usual self. Then they have no definite 3rd pitcher so their rotation could be a big issue if they are trying to be serious playoff contenders. Also looking at their depth chart they have two 36 yr olds in Juan Uribe and Jimmy Rollins while both are solid players, Uribe having the better numbers out of the two last year. It is fair to say they won't be bringing in all-star numbers and the Dodgers seem to want to rely on Yasiel Puig and I just don't see him being the guy to lead LA.

Spring training means absolutely nothing. It's common knowledge that spring training pitching is always out of touch. It's usually the time where pitchers work out the kinks from the offseason. It doesn't take long for batters to get warmed up and back into the motion of the game, and plus those spring parks are way different than major league parks, they're pretty much minor league fields. So hitters have a huge advantage.

Don't take spring numbers too seriously at all. Now Kershaw is a beast. He is the best pitcher in baseball today, and there is no contest about it. If pitchers have good springs, it shows a lot. If they have bad springs, it doesn't show anything. Similarly it doesn't show too much either if batters are killing it in spring ball, and if batters are doing very poorly that is also a bad sign. Don't expect Kris Bryant to hit 10 homers every few weeks. What he did was still impressive, but it's not a sign of things to come either. I can still see him as a consistent 30-40 homer guy in his career. He'll probably hit at least 30 his rookie year if he keeps it up, but also remember a guy like that hasn't been seen by pitchers enough either. Once pitchers get to see how he swings they'll be able to make adjustments.

Even this first month of April, some pitchers will be a little rusty. Grienkie is a very solid pitcher. The Dodgers are set. Even McCarthy is a pretty good guy to have third in your rotation. And let's not forget how greedy the Dodgers are too, those pigs were out there trying to get David Price last season. They'll probably end up trading for Cole Hamels or something halfway through the year. If they're willing to give the Phillies Julio Urias back then they'd probably get him.

Uribe and Rollins are both very solid considering their age. And you're forgetting about Joc Pederson, he may be a rookie but he's going to be a stud. Look they are putting him in center field right out of the minor leagues. They got rid of Matt Kemp just so they can finally get him in there. If it wasn't for Kemp, Pederson probably would have been up in that spot last year. Crawford is solid, Kendricks is solid. Gonzalez is great first baseman. They have a very well rounded team without too many holes. They're making the playoffs for sure. They are NOT built around Puig. Yasiel Puig is simply another great piece to this already stacked team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back