Missed Television Opportunities?

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
What IF E.C.W had debuted their new weekly brand with the E.C.W Television Championship, instead of their Heavyweight Championship?

Everyone who's a die-hard E.C.W fan realizes and understands that the Television Championship was always and will forever be, the bigger and more popular Championship. The only initial reason I could ever see for bringing in the E.C.W Championship, was to place it on Rob Van Dam.. merely because he never held it.

Once again, if anything the Television Championship was made popular by Rob Van Dam and seeing as to how the W.W.E currently had, and still has, two alternative World Heavyweight Championships.. E.C.W really had no use for a 3rd Heavyweight title that would be forever shamed with the new brand, and tarnished with each new holder it takes on.

At least bringing in the Television Championship could've done two very big things for the Company.

1. It would've been unique on the understanding that the Company doesn't have a "Television" title.

2. It would've given E.C.W more of it's "look" as the title was actually more known than the Heavyweight title, and the fans looked for it to be defended more often.

Basically put.. I believe the W.W.E missed a huge opportunity to bring in a better Championship, which would showcase everything about this brand as a whole. (basically, being a mid-card brand) Instead of merely adding a 3rd World Heavyweight title.. that'd never be classed or seen in the same league or light, as the first two Heavyweight titles. What are everyone's thoughts and opinions on this subject?

Was this a big missed opportunity, or do you believe the current E.C.W Heavyweight Championship would've still worked better? Please explain your opinions with detail. Thank you.

Credit for this thread idea: Marquis & N.S.L.

The TV Title was always the bigger title in ECW. Even when guys like Tazz, Sandman, Tommy Dreamer, and Raven held the main title, the TV Title headlined PPVs, and was in better storylines. Rob Van Dam holding the title, is almost the sole reason for that. He was ECW, no matter how much you hated him. He was the guy that everyone tuned in to see, and he was the guy everyone secretly rooted for, even against favorites like Sabu, Rhyno, and Jerry Lynn.

The current ECW, is not ECW. Everyone knows this, even Sly. It's a mid-card show, and shouldn't have a top-card title. The TV Title would be better to carry the company, and get more fans. For the younger talent on the show, it gives them a chance to compete for a title week in, and week out, without having to wait for the old guy to get out of the way, and without waiting for a PPV, where the match will get booked like crap.

Looking at it now, yeah the WWE missed the boat, but at the time ECW came back, the WWE had hit a gold mine with ECW as the ratings were in the middle “2” range and the roster was ok, and Heyman was writing the show, but what happen was that Heyman and Vince couldn’t work together just as what happen with Smackdown and it went down hill just like Smackdown.

I don’t think the ECW TV title was bigger than the ECW Championship, it was that RVD was bigger than the ECW Champion as he had the belt for 2 years. I mean champions after RVD weren’t bigger than the ECW Champion, it was just RVD was bigger than the ECW Champion, just as Goldberg was the man as US Champion before he was WCW Champion and the same could be said Warrior when he was I.C. Champion.

I kind of wish the WWE would have brought back all the ECW titles and made it a third rank brand from day one. You can do a lot with a hour worth of TV, hell TNA did for so long and so did ECW with Hardcore TV. The problem is that Vince only cares about Raw and can’t seem to realize that Steph has no idea what she is doing in wrestling. I think with the draft coming, Vince should just end the brand extension all together calling for Night of Champions to be a night were titles will be unified. ECW could become Raw’s recap sow or just another version of “Heat.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back