**MERGED** All Ryback Discussion (Keep all of it in here!!)

Do you tell your friends / family your gonna be on TV?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
or the next Brodus Clay?
seriously he's had 1 match on Smackdown as his new "improved" character and people are claiming he's the next big thing already

Is it just me or does Rybeck look like the love child of Rhino and RVD? As for earlier comments, being bald and built does not mean they should be compared to Golodberg. Goldberg was so scripted and stilted in the ring, as soon as he was with WWE, he couldn't keep up with not being fed everything by his opponents. Still comparing Rybeck to Goldberg just because they are folickaly challenged and musculary enhanced would be like comparing Barry Horowitz to Bret Hart because they were solid builds and had dark, crimped hair.

Wasn't ryback his original character before he did the NXT stuff? where he was just renamed skip sheffield i guess i read something like that but i still have to watch Smackdown that happened yesterday (at time of writing this it's 14:55 7/04/12)
so can't say but i liked what he did with nexus just because he didn't talk that much he let his "agression" that he showed speak for it. everytime he hit that closeline from hell variation of his my throat felt sore

I understand he only wrestled a no hoper weighing about 160lbs, so his core strength wasn't really tested

That did seem like a Goldberg-type beginning, didn't it? The only surprising aspect is that they gave the tomato can a couple of lines on the mic, which is highly unusual. I laughed when he told the audience he found them to be rude.:lmao:

Still, it's only one match, yet it made me think of Goldberg, whom WCW built up by feeding him a long line of stiffs to attain the undefeated streak that Goldberg himself seemed legitimately impressed with. Ryback also uttered a few animal-like sounds that I read as "Aaaaarrrggghhhh!" and "Rooooooaaaaarrrrrr!" which also struck me as Goldbergian. (You should see what this stuff looks like to lip-readers;))

It's too early to tell, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if this guy starts to remind us more and more of Bill Goldberg. If he does, we'll be crying for WWE to give him some competition after a short time.

Why, every time this occurs everyone makes a twatty "is he the next goldberg?!?!" *drool*

Er, you mean a musclehead who doesn't speak and trashes people in minutes every week? Basically the same push every person, face or heel, with this kind of build has gotten in the history of wrestling? Well, then yea, sure.

Better him than a dancing fat guy with a mohawk.

I cant get enough of this guy, personally. I wish he would ruin every segment on the show, by just slaughtering everyone in and around the ring. Theme was cool too.

Why the fuck is he wearing a singlet? The whole point is that he is jacked as a motherfucker, why cover up the physique? Confused by that, I was. Otherwise, fucking awesome.

When Ryback sells out a 50K seat venue & becomes the hottest star in a major company (& maybe in all of wrestling) then we can make that comparison. I know the IWC doesn't think much of Goldberg as a wrestler, but he was a huge star at his peak. Let's give him a little respect & not compare him to who has shown next to nothing in his career so far.

Why, every time this occurs everyone makes a twatty "is he the next goldberg?!?!" *drool*

Er, you mean a musclehead who doesn't speak and trashes people in minutes every week? Basically the same push every person, face or heel, with this kind of build has gotten in the history of wrestling? Well, then yea, sure.

Better him than a dancing fat guy with a mohawk.

I cant get enough of this guy, personally. I wish he would ruin every segment on the show, by just slaughtering everyone in and around the ring. Theme was cool too.

Why the fuck is he wearing a singlet? The whole point is that he is jacked as a motherfucker, why cover up the physique? Confused by that, I was. Otherwise, fucking awesome.

Derp, because we have nothing better to do than to compare everything. I mean Ryback is clearly Goldberg in a singlet. And Lord Tesai is clearly the new Great Muta. Except WWE couldn't get a good enough Japanese guy. And Brodus Clay is the new WCW era Mike Awesome.

Nah, people are just dumb and are even more unoriginal than the ideas they see being "repeated".

No, and he probably won't get even a quarter as "big" as Goldberg was. Think about it. If he was the "next Goldberg", he already would have caught on when he was with Nexus.

He's just another generic big dude. That's about it.

Do people still miss Goldberg that much that they insist on finding his successor in every powerhouse that walks through the curtain?

The same thing happened with Crimson in TNA; as soon as someone mentions the words 'undefeated streak', marks seemingly automatically go "omg new goldberg lolololol".

It's too soon to start comparing him to anyone yet, especially not after a 2 minute match. Just let this continue for a month or two, let him establish his name and dominance, and then take it from there. Have him challenge the Big Show for the IC title or something, see if he can hold is own with the big names. Because Goldberg didn't make his name from just squash matches.

To be fair Skip's character was designed to get him over as a comedy guy on NXT, it wasn't special but in Nexus you got the sense Skip with a name makeover and using that "Batista" style gimmick as the muscle of the group Skip could have went on to good things, I'm not saying World titles but the guy has the build to be a monster.

Ryback will be better than Goldberg, Goldberg sucked and was overrated. I don't know what was so special about him, because his in-ring skills were limited, he had the charisma of a goat and was god awful on the mic. He was just shoved down people's throats. I'm glad WWE got rid of that overrated, talentless piece of garbage. Who needs Goldberg when we've got a REAL monster like Ryback? Goldberg can kiss WWE's ass.

Ryback is the next big thing and will become the top face of the company behind John Cena very soon.

It's a bit too early. They both started out by just randomly debuting and squashing people. They put a lot into building up Skip when he was part on Nexus to be a wrecking machine, and they seem to be doing the same now. Since his debut actually on RAW, I think he is the only Nexus member to have never gotten pinned or submitted. They seem to be building him up to be undefeated or he can't be pinned like Umaga, but we'll see when WWE first acknowledges he has a winning streak and how long it lasts before we can say, yes, he's Goldberg.

That did seem like a Goldberg-type beginning, didn't it? The only surprising aspect is that they gave the tomato can a couple of lines on the mic, which is highly unusual. I laughed when he told the audience he found them to be rude.:lmao:

Still, it's only one match, yet it made me think of Goldberg, whom WCW built up by feeding him a long line of stiffs to attain the undefeated streak that Goldberg himself seemed legitimately impressed with. Ryback also uttered a few animal-like sounds that I read as "Aaaaarrrggghhhh!" and "Rooooooaaaaarrrrrr!" which also struck me as Goldbergian. (You should see what this stuff looks like to lip-readers;))

It's too early to tell, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if this guy starts to remind us more and more of Bill Goldberg. If he does, we'll be crying for WWE to give him some competition after a short time.

First of all i miss the local jobbers!! Barry whatever his last name was it was fucking awesome!! My name is barry and i find out the audience to be rude classic!! :worship: But Ryback just squashed his ass in no time flat!! Threw him around like a bag of garbage. As far as being compared to goldberg goes i think ryback is jacked more than goldie was!! I really wanna see what ryback has to offer its a little soon to compare him to goldberg IMO!!

Dude is seriously jacked and he moves really well in the ring. Very agile for someone his size and what people are forgetting he suffered a very serious injury!! That IMO is why he was repackaged. I want Ryback to do well i do. I also think that the less he says the more impact he will have!! :worship:

I loved his debut. Loved his look his intensity and loved the music. He still reminded of the white Zeuss lol Crazy eyes and the arm pumping thing. Overall I liked it.

While I doubt he is the new Goldberg, his debut wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. From the descriptions, they made it sound like he was going to come out looking like some sort of Terminator-ish android. But Vince loves big guys, and Ryback certainly is that. It'd be nice to see him succeed as many of the big men right now like Kane, Mark Henry and Big Show won't be around much longer.

Every jacked guy that comes into the WWE is called the next Goldberg, I don't get it. At all. No, he's not the next Goldberg, not by a longshot. Ryback is much more talented in the ring than Goldberg was -- that's not to say he'll ever achieve the level of success Goldberg had, though. Goldberg took off because he was a freak in that ring and the fans had never seen anybody hit an opponent that hard before. Ryback is certainly a hard hitting beast, but he doesn't astound me like Goldberg did; Ryback can do more than the shtick Goldberg stuck by for nearly his entire career, though.

Goldberg's streak (173-0) is what makes him Goldberg, so to speak. I highly doubt that the WWE will send Ryback on a streak of that proportion and build him like Goldberg was built. Without the streak, I'm sure Goldberg would have been a big deal, but he wouldn't have been anywhere near as over as he was. The streak took on a life of its own, people wondered who would be the next victim on every show. The streak lasted from September 22, 1997 until December 27, 1998; I honestly doubt the WWE would push Ryback for a year, feeding random members of the roster to him for over a year. Goldberg was an anomaly, he's a once in a lifetime talent -- you can't replicate that, nor should you try.

I understand, people pine for their past heroes and great legends, and if they can't have the real thing, they'll settle for anything close to it -- Ryback just isn't it, though. Fans can only destroy the great potential the Ryback character has by expecting something Goldberg-esque to come of it. Let it develop people, let it play out. Ryback is a fairly unique character, his gimmick isn't something you see every day. He'll have volumes of success, I'm sure. I loved his debut on Smackdown, but I don't see the connection to Goldberg -- past the bald head and the physique. Ryback will get his push, he'll probably have a line of jobbers in his wake, but don't ever expect anything of Goldberg proportions.

Well I somehow don't think he's the next Goldberg. I mean he won't come close to being that. However in the ring he did impress me. I think the next Goldberg will be Barry Stevens, his promo was emotional and I really felt where he was coming from. Anyway back on topic, no he is not the next Goldberg, however he is definitely in a better place than he was as Skip

New Goldberg? Hell no
New Sheffield? Yes.

Did anyone ever actually watch Ryback/Sheffield in FCW? The guy is an animal. He wrestles a great big man style while having explosive power and speed. He's also far less awkward in the ring than Batista, Mason Ryan, etc. Goldberg might have been a big star but a lot of his legacy and undefeated streak was squashing jobbers in a 2 minute match with 5 moves and saying "next." There was also a lot of shock value there in his debut as well as he was probably the first real beast. Goldberg overall was bad in the ring (as we saw anytime he had to wrestle longer than 5 minutes, esp in WWE,) and was pretty rough on the mic.

Does Ryback have the potential to be Goldberg-esque? It's way WAAAYYYYY too early to say anything about longterm popularity. The one thing he does have though is that he's a hell of a lot better between the ropes than Goldberg was.

No, not yet. He could do it, easily, but I'm not sure that's where they're going with him.

The roster doesn't leave much room for someone like Ryback, unfortunately. Brock just came back, Rock is still hanging around, Prince Albert is getting a push, etc. If they were going to do a Goldberg-style run, I'd hope to God they'd use Ryback. Freakishly athletic, great build, can talk when he needs to, etc.

I don't think there's enough time, plain and simple. Unless someone takes notice and really gets behind what he's doing, it's not going to happen. Not for a long time anyway.

Ryback is no Bill Goldberg. He never will be. But even when he does recieve a big push then he wont be that big.

He does have a lot of potential though. I would want WWE to push him a way thats different then the generic monster. I believe that he should get a few wins under his belt, then face a newcomer or up and comer like Damien Sandow. Damien wins from either cheating or a roll-up. The two then have a series of matches with Sandow always just barely winning in some contreversial fashion. Then right after Ryback is about to win their last match, then someone interferes. Ryback moves on to feud with him, and Sandow can move into either a title picture, or into a little bigger feud.

Just an idea.

good god. exciting wrestling fan like you need stop making assumption of a wrestler or comparison to another wrestler so early. That assumption is not going to become a reality.

can jack swagger become the next kurt angle?
Is john morrison the next hbk?
is david otunga gonna become the rock?

Ryback is a white guy who built like goldberg and squashed a jobber. But I see a guy who is adopting the generic wrestler monster gimmick 101 who will be lost in the midcard shuffle like mason ryan very soon

until the character of the wrestler is matured and fully developed, i would not make any random assumption nor comparison.

WOW!!!!! Ryback has had 1 MATCH.... Skip Sheffield was the best member of Nexus befor he got hurt IMO. Comparing him to Goldberg thats an insult Ryback is actually good in the ring and can have a match longer than 5 minutes. Just because Goldberg became so popular back in the late 90's doesnt mean he was the best he just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Obviously the WWE is going to build Ryback up slowly coming back from an injury. Now because he didnt face an established Smackdown superstar he isnt gonna go anywhere?? To be honest he reminded me more of Ludvig Borga and how he manhandled opponents more than he did Goldberg.

I think everyone needs to stop nay saying on the guy after one match. Ryback is loaded with talent. He is as talented in the ring as any big guy the WWE has right now. People love Sheamus I think Ryback is just as talented in the ring as Sheamus is. We will have to see how his character developes to see if he is worthy of a World Title or WWE title run, his character and his ability to talk will be the deciding factor as to how far he gets cause he has the in ring ability. I have watched him since he was in FCW and even OVW befor that. He is just as good as Wade Barrett or Sheamus in the ring. He is far better than Mason Ryan will ever be. Befor any of you start writing him off give him a month or so back in the WWE and then start your assumptions on how far he will get.

Whos Ryback/Skip sheffield? Seriously? Im being 100% honest and i refuse to google his name like the rest of you who dont know who he is either but pretend you do to make you sound like your some hardcore wrestling fanboys.... :disappointed:

Is he the black guy that wore that dumb face-ker-cheif bandana thing...or was that uh...that tarver guy?:shrug:

Is skip sheffield/Ryback even black...or is he white? I honestly cant picture this guy in my head. He's one of the biggest failures of no name wrestlers i have ever heard.

Okay he was one of the nexus losers right? You got mcgillicutty, heath slater, otunga, tarver(the one with the bandana right?)......and whoever the heck is skip sheffield....argh.:disappointed:

The black guy you speak of is Micheal Tarver I believe his name was with the hankercheif on his face. Skip was the big bald headed monster that was part of nexus when they first started beating up people on RAW and during the begining of their beating of John Cena

Whos Ryback/Skip sheffield? Seriously? Im being 100% honest and i refuse to google his name like the rest of you who dont know who he is either but pretend you do to make you sound like your some hardcore wrestling fanboys.... :disappointed:

Is he the black guy that wore that dumb face-ker-cheif bandana thing...or was that uh...that tarver guy?:shrug:

Is skip sheffield/Ryback even black...or is he white? I honestly cant picture this guy in my head. He's one of the biggest failures of no name wrestlers i have ever heard.

Okay he was one of the nexus losers right? You got mcgillicutty, heath slater, otunga, tarver(the one with the bandana right?)......and whoever the heck is skip sheffield....argh.:disappointed:
michael tarver was the guy with the bandana around his mouth and sheffield was the guy who left the nexus because he got injured...i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back