me & my wife are going to be business owners

Discussion in 'The GSD Archives' started by Hyorinmaru, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Hyorinmaru

Hyorinmaru Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
    E-Fed Mod

We're still writing up the business plan but this is something we're actually going through with.

Her idea is awesomene & I think it will really take off.

2. Shadowmancer

Shadowmancer I am The Last Baron

3. Hyorinmaru

E-Fed Mod

Better?

4. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

Care to elaborate?

5. Hyorinmaru

E-Fed Mod

A DIY station where people can who don't have the rent sewing machine by the hour, a space to store their projects as well as store space to sell their items.

We're also going to be offering classes for those who don't know how to use a sewing machine as well as embroidery classes

I'll be managing the place and teaching embroidery classes for left handers, my wife will teach right handers & the sewing classes until I am capable of helping teach those as well.

My mother in law will be handling the money seeing as she's been doing it in Phoenix for 50+ years now.

Reflection likes this.
  6. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

He was just waiting to see if anyone asked. You took the bait.

Still much to learn you have young Jedi.

NSL likes this.
  7. Hyorinmaru

E-Fed Mod

Actually I didn't want to put it out on the internet where anything & everything can be stolen.

I've had stories taken by people and passed of as their own.

8. George Steele's Barber

It sounds viable. The biggest question is whether or not you will have the income to make it worth your time.

Are you running this out of your home or will you rent a location?

What hours do you plan on being open?

Are there any local city/parks departments offer sewing classes? Is there any other competition in your area?

Would you offer tailoring for those that don't want to learn?

What will you charge per hour? How many machines will you start with? How many will you like to have?

Do you trust your mother in law? What has she been doing for fifty years?

You may want to look in to affiliating yourself with scrapbooking clubs and fabric type stores (Joanns, Michael's, Hobby Lobby).

To me the most challenging part is the selling of other's items. Anyone that is so in to crafts that they make items To sell would likely own their own machine. How will you get the foot traffic to sell goods like a store?

I admit I'm genuinely interested. Not convinced it will work but I'm genuinely interested. I also don't expect that anyone is going to steal the idea. Especially that idea on this forum.

9. Reflection

Reflection is a happier and wiser man

You should start a YouTube show and call it GSB's Apprentice.

10. Hyorinmaru

E-Fed Mod

11. George Steele's Barber

This is my biggest concern for viability. Rent is never cheap and I expect that it will be you biggest cost (labor should not amount to much). I would look in to this first before you take any big steps. Signing a lease is a huge commitment that may or may not be easy to walk away from.

Location comes first but keep in mind the young moms that are looking for a maternal hobby. They are likely to be working or watching kids during banking hours. Banking hours kind of leave you with the geriatrics and unemployed or oddly employed bohemians.

That"s good. A parks department could run far cheaper than you would be able to run since they have free facilities.

And I only ask because my wife took some parks department classes. I'm not that knowledgeable about sewing.

I'm thinking revenue and I'm thinking that you and your wife will have lots of down time running this shop and have machines that won't be occupied. Tailoring is another way to make money through this business without adding more costs. It is also another way to get people in your shop.

Demographics are very important. Walk around these neighborhoods and get a really good idea of your customer options. Maybe go to city goverment or library and see what you can learn about the people in the neighborhood. People are not going to travel far for this service.

Anyway, best of luck. Keep us updated and let me know if you have any thoughts or questions.

12. Big Nick Dudley

If you think WrestleZone Forums is the place to post your business plan and feel good about it after, I would rethink the strategy.

Good luck with the actual business, though.

13. Jane

Jane ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But... you JUST put it out there, after one comment asked you to. Clearly you wanted to.

nightmare likes this.
  14. Hyorinmaru

E-Fed Mod

Well yeah, I think it's a very good idea & I'm very proud of my wife for coming up with it & getting the ball rolling.

I'm still scared about someone taking it as irrational as it may be

15. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

Do people still sew in this day and age? GSB's suggestion about hours is a good one. You have to be open when people have the time to go to your location.

It's too bad you couldn't find a small store frontage or get together with another business that you could piggyback off. It would cut down on your expenses, and you would both be promoting each other's product.

You also have to look at bringing in new customers all the time. Once you learn how to sew, read a pattern, they might not come back. So you will need to do something that brings in new people on a continuous basis. You can buy sewing machines cheap these days. It's not the big expense it used to be for some, just the learning is the stumbling point. You could have a fashion show every month, and let the women show off what they've made. They can invite their friends, serve coffee and sweets and that might draw more people into it.

You should also look into tailoring as was suggested as well. People will pay a lot of money for a handmade dress. If your wife is a sewer, then she could make a lot of money just doing that when the store is closed.

A friend of min just ordered a dress from a dressmaker for a wedding she's attending. After the cost of material and labour, it's going to cost her about $300.00. She could have made it herself, but works full time and just doesn't have the time to do it. I asked her how long it would have taken and she said about 4 hours. The labour is costing her the most. The more detailed the work, the more you charge. Women love to have something unique, that they won't see anywhere else.

People that are hard to fit would also love this. So something you should look into. Anyway good luck with the business and I hope you do well. But do as others have suggested, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Think about branching out.

16. Jane

Jane ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

DIY crafts are extremely popular right now. I think it has a lot of potential, especially if they're helping people who are new to it. I know a fair number of people who recently invested in a sewing machine, and I'm sure having a place to go that wouldn't involve such a huge initial cost could be popular.

17. NSL

NSL Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh

But would it work well, outside of Etsy?

18. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

Oh I fully agree, they are very popular, and with all the DIY shows on TV, it's not going away anytime soon. Sewing machines have come down in price a lot over the last few years, and you don't have to mortgage the house to buy one anymore.

Well that's unless you want one that does everything. My mother's old Singer did zig zag and buttonholes, and that was the only bells and whistles she had.on it. She used to make beautiful clothes. Too bad I was too young to appreciate them at the time.

Learning how to sew isn't hard, it's the how to pin a pattern that I found the hardest and never fully got the grasp off. When you spend money on material, which can be expensive, you want to do it right. But for people that want to save money, have something that no one else has, and can proudly say I made this myself, I think it's a great idea.