Match of the Year

Discussion in '2015 Wrestling Awards' started by klunderbunker, Jan 1, 2016.

?

Match of the Year

1. Prince Puma vs. Johnny Mundo - All Night Long

2. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins vs. Brock Lesnar - Royal Rumble

3. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi - Wrestle Kingdom

4. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks - Takeover: Respect

5. Cesaro vs. John Cena - Raw - July 6

6. Pentagon Jr. vs. Vampiro - Ultima Lucha

7. New Day vs. Lucha Dragons vs. Usos - TLC

8. Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe - Takeover: London

9. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks - Takeover: Brooklyn

10. Sami Zayn vs. Neville - Takeover: R-Evolution

11. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens - Takeover: Rival

12. Fenix vs. Mil Muertes - Grave Consequences

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

And the biggest one.

2. The Brain

The Brain King Of The Ring

Surprised none of the Cena vs. Owens matches are an option.

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

Considering what they did there was to take the first, admittedly somewhat decent, match and photocopy it twice, it's maybe surprising the Elimination Chamber match is absent.

Reflection likes this.
  4. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

It'll probably only get my vote, but Nakamura and Ibushi was the only 5 star match on this list (I believe). If you haven't seen it, I suggest y'all watch it.

5. L@RISANO

L@RISANO R.I.P Mustang Sally :( :( :(

As a guy who watches WWE mainly for its storytelling, it sucks that the WrestleMania 31 Main Event didn't make the list as that would have been my pick easily.

6. BestSportsEntertainer

BestSportsEntertainer I Don't Need No User Title

Wait a minute? Where's Cena vs. Owens?

7. Master JM

Master JM Yer a Witcher, Geralt

This year didn't really deliver a match which stood out head and shoulders above the rest. I would have voted for Lesnar/Reigns if it was in the poll.

8. Mighty NorCal

Mighty NorCal SHALL WE BEGIN?

:eek:

Ive waxed poetic on the granduer of Sasha Vs Bayley in my sig.

Ill let Sam do the honors here. In breif, Sasha Vs Bayley not only checked every box of a modern wrestling classic, but rated A+ in every one of them as well.

9. Coco

Coco Mid-Card Championship Winner

I would have given my vote to Brock Lesnar playing the role of Roman's abusive, alcoholic father at WrestleMania.

10. Барбоса

Барбоса doesn't know REAL wrestling...

As good as the story of the RR Triple Threat was - kill Brock, win title before he rises - topped off Seth's Phoenix splash and Brock rising from the dead, it does not trump the complete package that was the entrances, emotion, story, psychology, Curtain Call, Bank Statement/hand stomp/counter/B2B/kick out sequence, reverse rana and finish of Banks-Bayley-Brooklyn.

11. Nate DaMac

Nate DaMac Fuck erbody but me

Having both Banks vs. Bayley matches on here is going to work against them. I personally enjoyed the Respect match over the Brooklyn match but it's not getting as much love so I'll give my vote to the one more likely to win.

12. @smarkmouth

@smarkmouth Friendly Neighborhood

Tough call for me between Brock/Cena/Rollins and Bayley/Banks in Brooklyn, but I go with the latter. Honestly, I think the Triple threat is one of the best matches of all time, but up until Brooklyn, I had still been a skeptic about women's wrestling's potential in WWE. Yes, even after great NXT matches like Banks/Becky or Charlotte/Natty, I was skeptical. What fool I was.

Bayley vs Sasha Banks makes me believe a WWE PPV could be main evented by a women's match within the next five years. That's magic.

Also, I hate to be that guy, but Takeover R Evolution was last year, dq'ing Sami vs Neville from this list. I'm glad it was 2014, though, as Major Show of the Year was a hard enough category.

13. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

Only one match on this list captured what their promotion is all about, and that is Puma vs Mundo All Night Long. It may not have been a technical masterpiece, but I dare you to find a match that better represents what Lucha Underground is all about that Puma and Mundo going for an hour, fighting all over the temple. You had classic brawling, chain wrestling, high spots, hardcore wrestling, drama, classic heel work by Mundo, the classic face comeback for Puma. It was everything you could want in a wrestling match, and deserves to be match of the year.

Plus it didn't have heel wrestlers using face moves to pop the crowd, unlike some other so called match of the year candidates.

14. Rayne

Rayne Sally Section

People are free to argue that Sasha/Bailey wasn't the best match of the year, because what would the internet be without people who were just plain wrong?

15. Uncle Sam

The iron man match was a wonderful sequel - and, as you might have seen me say elsewhere, a sequel and not a retread - but it lacks the impact of the original, nor could one really say it was better in a vacuum. It's still an absolutely tremendous match that people should watch.

Rarely have I felt as irritated as a fan as when Stephanie McMahon came out at TakeOver Brooklyn and said the The Boss and Bayley were the main event. No, Stephanie, they weren't. They deserved to be, and they were about to prove it ten times over, but they weren't. The main event that night was a so-so ladder match between Kevin Owens and Finn Balor; a decent match but not an all-time classic like that which preceded it.

It was tempting to sit in front of The Boss versus Bayley in Brooklyn for my third rewatch with a pen and paper and then type on here, blow-by-blow, why it was so brilliant, though it's easy to see that becoming tedious for the reader. There's not really an aspect of the match I can fault though. From the moment that Sasha Banks rolled in with an entourage to the moment the Four Horsewomen stood in the middle of the ring in tears, there wasn't a moment for the goosebumps to settle. For visuals, I don't think there's one that encapsulates two characters better than Bayley reaching out for the ropes, refusing to give up, and The Boss stomping on her fingers like she's trying to snap them off. You'd expect Bayley to channel Bret Hart (she often does) but when The Boss starting pulling pages out of the Rey Mysterio playbook with an over-the-top-rope plancha over the referee...

I could go on.

And I will.

That finish. That fucking finish. When it looks like Bayley drops The Boss on her fucking neck from six feet up, The Boss stumbles up, dazed-- belly-to-Bayley suplex.

Absolutely, unprecedentedly, breathtakingly phenomenal.

★★★★★

16. Uncle Sam

17. Coco

[​IMG]

18. Dirk

Dirk Ayatollah of Coca-Cola

I'm just surprised we don't have an ten-post debate about how AJ Styles vs Nakamura/Okada/Tanahashi/Someothergibberishname was superior to the rest of the world stated as fact by one party.

19. Coco

Dragon Saga still posts here then?

Dirk likes this.
  20. Mighty NorCal

Mighty NorCal SHALL WE BEGIN?

Well, him and Xfear

21. samualdude

samualdude The Thunder from Down Under

I'm not sure how Kevin Owens vs John Cena at the Elimination Chamber isn't on the list but since it's not. I have to give it to Sasha Banks vs Bayley at Takeover: Brooklyn.

22. Messiah

Messiah WWE Champion

Not voting because Cena and Owens is not a nominee.. None of the other matches grabbed my attention like that one did.

Here's the truth for you.. Some people feel Sasha/Bayley was MOTY because people aren't use to seeing such good diva matches.. It was a good match, but there were way better matches this year from so many other promotions.. Watching that divas match was like watching any Seth Rollins match, or any John Cena match, a way better divas match than any divas match this year, but that doesn't make it match of the year.

23. Coco

I thought you were going to tell us the truth. What happened?

24. Just FalKonika

Just FalKonika I'm Literally Just Here for WZCW

Owens vs. Cena is not on here because all of the other candidates are much better matches. No forum bias here, honestly. Don't know why people are complaining and kicking up a stink.

That said, Bayley vs. Banks in Brooklyn was the perfect story followed by a perfect match. I haven't felt the feelings I had during that performance ever for a wrestling story. They nailed it.

Coco likes this.
  25. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

[​IMG]

Come on people, look how hardcore Mundo and Puma are. Four whole tables they went through.