Kurt Angle v. Undertaker: No Way Out 2006
HHH v. HBK v. Chris Benoit: Wrestlemania 20
The Rock v. Stone Cold: Wrestlemania X7
Jeff Hardy v. The Undertaker: ladder match for the Undisputed Title
Mitsuharu Misawa v. Kenta Kobashi: NOAH 3-1-03
John Cena v. Shawn Michaels: Wrestlemania 23
Three on Three from ONS 06

Remember: This is in the Non-Spam Section

d the most in my life is probably Bret v. Bulldog at Wembley. I know it might not be as good as the IYH match, but the match is special to me, I remember watching it as a kid and being so passionate about the match. But there is one match that rivals that match for my viewership, and it has two wrestlers I am not as keen on and one man I respected as a wrestling god. I already gave the match the Moment O-T-D nod, but I feel it should also get the nod for the Match O-T-D. Triple H, Shawn Michaels and Chris Benoit fought in a vicious match at Wrestlemania XX which ended up in Benoit winning the title for the first time in his life (Not counting WCW I guess). I watched that match as many times as I can to cheerish it, but not to dilute its impact on me, and if not a match of all time, its the match of the decade.

I have to agree with TM on this one. The HHH vs HBK vs Benoit match was so good on so many levels. You had the HHH vs HBK storyline going into it. You had "Can Benoit defeat these two Hall of Famers" going into it. The Build-up to the match was phenomenal with everyone getting over everyone else. HHH and Evolution beats up both of them, and then the next week HBK is kicking them both out, and then the next week Benoit was making them both tap. It was insane to watch! Then you got to the actual match, and how great a match it was. When HHH and HBK double suplexed Benoit through that table, my immediate first thought was "Well, he is out, and now we get to see the end of HHH vs HBK". HBK and HHH then tear it up, and then out of nowhere comes Benoit. The three of them put on a fantastic show, and then BAM! Benoit has got the crossface, and HHH was tapping. We then got to have one of the best moments of the decade with Eddie and Benoit embracing in the center of the ring, both of them as champions. Yeah, from the build-up to the match to the very end, it was all 5 stars, and it is definitely the match of the decade.

My two favorite matches of all-time are on this list, and it will be really tough for me to decide.

First is the three way match between AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, and Samoa Joe. This was the main event of the pay-per-view, which isn't an accomplishment in itself, except that it was an X Division title match. That would be the equivalent of a WWE PPV being headlined by an Intercontinental Title Match. The match itself was a triple threat, a match type which I usually dislike. They exclude one guy so it can be one on one and it is usually kind of awkward. This match totally destroyed what I thought I knew about triple threats. There was a lot of 3 man action, and the times where one man was incapacitated made logical sense and didn't last an outrageous amount of time. They put everything they had into the match and is easily the greatest match in TNA history.

My other choice would be the Undertaker/Jeff Hardy ladder match for the Undisputed Title. The Undertaker was the man in the WWE at the time, while Hardy was still a tag team guy. Hardy was over, but still had not broken through into singles' success. This match came about after Undertaker attacking Matt and Jeff challenging him to a ladder match for the title. The high spots were great with both chairs and the ladders being brought into play. The thing that stays with me is how they made the audience believe that Jeff Hardy really could defeat the Undertaker and become Undisputed Champion. I've watched this match at least 10 times, and I still believe that Hardy will win every time.

I will have to ponder it more, but one of these two will get my vote.

As far as overall quality, emotion, build-up, and historical significance, Rock/Austin at WM17 and Rock/Hogan at WM18 are the two greatest matches of this decade.

But pound for pound, looking at it strictly from a "great wrestling match/great storytelling" point of view, John Cena vs. Umaga from Royal Rumble 2007 is the greatest match of the decade, and one of the greatest matches of all time. There is not one wasted motion in this entire match, every single move contributed to the overall story of the match. I've never seen a match where the spots were transitioned so flawlessly and logically, like they were in this match. Everything just flowed together perfectly. The selling was outstanding by both wrestlers. And there were also some very innovative spots. This match was truly a "thing of beauty", a "masterpiece" and a "work of art". The storytelling was beyond phenomenal. Cena had to literally choke the life out of his "monster" opponent to keep him down, and in the process had to literally use every ounce of energy in his body to do it. You can't tell a better story than that.

The Cena/Umaga match is what wrestling is all about. Anyone that doesn't think Cena can wrestle has obviously not seen this match, because this match not only shows that he can wrestle, it also shows that he's the best damn wrestler in the world.

The match of the decade is HBK VS Undertaker. What can be said about this match that hasn't already been said? It was two of the greatest of all time going at it at one of the biggest PPV's ever. This match may have happened towards the very end of this decade, but I guarantee you that a full decade from now people will still be talking about it because it was THAT good. Nothing else from the past 10 years comes close, so HBK VS Undertaker is the best match of the decade.

I'm tempted to say Joe vs. Daniels vs. Styles, purely because it's one of the only certified ''classics'' to come out of TNA. But I'm more inclined to think it's great by TNA standards and not wrestling in general. I've seen just as good in ROH.

I'll vote for that other stone cold classic..Angle vs. Benoit at Rumble 2003. Great match and no blurring, which has ruined a lot of matches for me from 2000-2002.

A match is supposed to be the culmination of a great storyline, but also tell a story in its own right. Vince v hbk at wrestlemania was the climax of a 3 month feud when vince and shane tried to make shawns life a iving hell. The build up was epic, and traced back to the memorable montreal screwjob. The match itself lived up to the hype, with interference from the spirit squad to shawn turning the tables on shane, handcuffing him to the rope. Vince then received the worst in-ring beatdown hes ever received, after Michaels went under the ring for a bigger ladder. The decimation of Vince makes that match the one i'll remember most of the past ten years.

Really when I think about it there are only two matches that come to mind. Austin vs Rock and Mania. And Hogan vs Rock. In the end I have to go with Hogan vs Rock.

This was one of those what if dream matches that we never thought that we would get to see. One of the biggest young stars from the new era vs. The biggest star in all of wrestling. It was the match of the that Mania, and has been looked back on every year around Mania.

Honestly this match wasn't the best technical matches. It wasn't meant to be though, it was meant to entertain, and that it did. The crowd was in this match from the beginning, and didn't stop. It was by far one of the loudest crowds I've heard during a match. Each and every move was cheered. The atmosphere of this match was crazy, there isn't another match I can remember that had that type of atmosphere. To me it made the match even bigger.

So the match of the decade IMO is Rock vs. Hogan.

Well, I voted for Kenta Kobashi vs. Misawa as match of the decade. I was going to go with Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels from WM19 at first, but then I saw that match. I still feel that Jericho/Michaels is severely underrated and it’s a close second for me, but Kobashi/Misawa was just awesome.

The match was just entertaining overall. It told a great story, had some amazing parts, I never got bored for one second while watching it, and best of all, the two performers in this match were in their 40’s and they were able to put on a fantastic match. I honestly cannot say enough good things about this match. If you don’t mind the Japanese commentary then please do yourself a favor and try to find it and watch it because it’s a treat of a match.

I am the only one, but I voted for Hardy vs Undertaker.

That match was booked PERFECTLY. Undertaker was the big badass heel with the undisputed title. He'd recently become the first man in history to win a world title from Hulk Hogan on two separate occassions. He seemed unstoppable, angry, and just all around perfect at the time.

Enter Jeff Hardy, the same underdog who won the IC Title from Triple H in the days of the two-man power trip. Hardy had this odd ability of being the most believable underdog in wrestling. You figured "he's got no chance" and yet he'd make you think anything was possible. I went into that match KNOWING that Taker would win, not because of spoilers or inside info, but just because I knew. Hardy, somehow, made me believe for a second that I was wrong - and THAT is what made the match so great.

I've also asserted that it was the best ladder match ever. I hold to that, with little support.

The other terrific thing about Hardy / Taker was the fact that it occured on Raw with little build up. It didn't have to be center-stage at Wrestlemania. The match came from out of no where to grab you by the balls and twist. Similar to Jericho / Triple H at Penn State, or Michaels vs Benjamin.

Finally, at the end, when a heel Taker gave Hardy his props, he put the kid over HUGE. That was the first moment you started to think "maybe this kid could be a world champ some day."

Reactions: TLC
Without a doubt, as I have said in several other threads lately, the match of the decade for me is a simple pick.

The match? Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi from NOAH on March 1st, 2003 for the GHC Heavyweight title. If someone were to ask me why I watch puroresu, the first thing I'd do (besides give them a copy of the '94 Super J Cup) would be to make them watch this match. Anything you thought two middle aged men could do in the ring, forget about it immediately. Though I know many on here aren't keen on Meltzer, there's a reason Kobashi and Misawa have so many five star matches. They're simply two of the greatest professional wrestlers to ever live, with Misawa possibly being the greatest. Watching this match is like taking a mushroom trip (odd analogy, I know), every time you think you're at the peak of the match and that it can't get any better, they step it up another notch. When you're sitting there, out of breath with your hands in the air saying "What the fuck could they POSSIBLY do next?!", and of course, they top that as well. By the time the match is over I'm exhausted and satisfied in a way few wrestling matches have ever left me. I'd put a video up but I can't seem to find one on YouTube or DailyMotion, but if you'd like to see the match PM me and I can likely send it to you.

That match has always held a special place in my heart, and a recent re-viewing confirmed to me that it was simply the best wrestling match that I have seen of this entire decade.

i myself am not the biggest hbk or flair fan.ive been watching wrestling since 2003 so mind you all ive seen of flair is being hhhs lackey but him vs michaels blew me away.hands down greatest match ive ever seen and wm 25 taker/michaels truly overated

I had to go with Rock/Hogan, the intensity in the crowd blew this one in front of HBK/Taker for me. If it wasn’t for the pure hype and big match feeling it may not have beaten HBK/Taker but it did. This match was well constructed and flowed well considering Hogan’s real wrestling ability at that stage in his career. The Rock was the new Hogan and it was a face off of epic proportions. The heel Hogan was cheered and booed along with the face Rock, again, cheered and booed. No one knew who to cheer or boo, but everyone was amped up for this match.

Absolute epic match and is greatly deserving on the greatest match of this decade.

this wasnt too hard for me, in 2002 I was 12 years old, i was not as knowledgeable of the business at this time as I am now, but Rock Hogan was a match I wanted to see from the time when I was 8 years old seing Hogan running the NWO, I was a WCW fan so I didnt watch alot of the attitude era but I always liked superstars like Stone Cold and The Rock, when nWo came into the WWE I was so excited about the possibilities. it failed to deliver except they did do 1 thing right, Rock Vs Hogan

I'm outraged that HBK Vs Angle isn't on this list. For me that was match of this decade and pretty much any other decade. It flowed beautifully, had a story to it and built up to an epic end. Go back, listen to the crowd and then consider that this was technical match with few spots and yet they still went mental. That's how good it was.

I was going to grudgingly vote for the overated HBK/Taker match but I'm pissed off that HBK/Angle didn't even get nominated so I'll throw my vote away on "Other" :angry:

This is a tough one, it was a toss up between HBK v Undertaker at Wrestlemania 25 because I was there, Rock v Hogan & Joe v Styles v Daniels, but I went with the last one.

To me, it was Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker. There was no gimmick. No ladder, no chairs, no cages. There was simply two men, inside a ring who made something special happen. people all over have reverence for this match. The WWE truly went out with a bang.

Of all the matches listed, I would have to rate Taker/HBK just above ONS 2006 and maybe Hardy/Taker because I felt the match was extremely overrated and wasn't even the best match that night. I am going for one that is not on the list and should be is Austin vs. HHH at No Way Out in 2001. The buildup wasn't all that great because it was Rikishi driving the car and not HHH but the match made up for it and then some. This was a fight between two superstars who hated each other and they tore the house down for forty minutes. It's a shame that this match wasn't at Wrestlemania because that would have been the greatest match ever at Wrestlemania. I loved the finish because either guy could have won and it didn't hurt Austin because he was going to go on to Wrestlemania to compete for the title anyway.

Second place would go to Angle vs. Benoit because that was the best title match I have ever seen. An amazing technical display which showed that Benoit had what it took to compete for a title and went move for move with Angle.

I chose "other" in the voting, so I'll tell you what my match of the decade was, and I can't believe it's not an option, Kurt Angle v HBK at Wrestlemania 21. HBK, for my money, was involved in each of the decades Top 5 matches (the others being vs. Jericho at WM 19, vs Jericho again in the Ladder Match at No Mercy 2008, vs Hunter in the unsanctioned match at Summerslam '02 and, of course vs. Taker at WM 25). This says so much for HBK the performer. I think since his return in '02 he's been the best he's ever been. So much emotion goes into his work and to see him and Angle, two absolute craftsmen at the top of their games in '04, work a match as solid as that was something to behold. A great story was told that night and even though ni titles were on the line, it stole the show. I've learned to really respect what HBK does in this business over this, his second big run with the company. I've always been an HBK fan, but what he's done to transform his career post back injury (and post-being-an-asshole) has turned me into an HBK admirer. He may be second to Flair in my personal running for the greatest of all time.

I went with TLC II because it's something different. TLC matches, and most other gimmick matches, weren't way overdone at that time, so they were always a special event. The TLC may not neccessarily be the "best" match of the decade, but it has to be one of the most exciting, even if it involved the Dudleys.

Also, it's rather ridiculous that HBK/Taker is winning. I'd vote almost any other match on the list over that one.

Benoit vs HHH vs Michaels at WMXX. I have to be honest. I despise Michaels and HHH so seeing Benoit kick the crap out of both of them, leave them bleeding and make big nose tap out for the World Title win was a feel great moment. It was also the culmination to THE best wrestling match of the decade hands down.

I went with HBK/Taker because in these years of wrestling, guys aren't given time to really put on a spectacle in the ring. If so there is some goofy gimmick that is attached, some sort of stipulation, however this match had me on my toes from the start. It's hard for two guys to put on something like that now a days, their match was incredibly well planned, and I look forward to WM 26.

The best match in this decade took place in ROH on October 16, 2004. Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk II was the second in a series of three unbelieveable matches between the two. It was a 60 minute time limit draw. The match was absolutely flawless- packed with energy and flowing psychology. It's obvious that there is fantastic chemistry between Joe and Punk. The Chicago crowd was hot, which comes across great even on the DVD (I can only imagine what it would've been like to see this match live). I could watch this match over and over and not get tired of it. For anyone who hasn't seen it- go now. Watch.

for me it has to be the Main Event of the first PPV of the decade. Triple H vs. Cactus Jack at the Royal Rumble 2000. You want psychology? You've got it here. You want to think that Mick Foley might eek out a win? You've got it. He put Triple H through so much in this match it was unbelievable. Both men went and gave it their all in this match. So much so that I thought both men had their careers shortened. Triple H worked with a palette sticking out of his leg. That shows guts, and determination.

This is my match of the decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back