Lawrence Phillips

Discussion in 'The Sports Arena' started by J.J., Jan 14, 2016.

1. J.J.

J.J. Mid-Card Championship Winner

For those familar with great College Football athletes turn Pro failures then you're probably familar with Lawrence Phillips. It was reported yesterday that he committed suicide while he was in Prison. Which likely stemmed from his ongoing investigation following him murdering his cellmate.

This is from coming from a guy who I thought Scott Frost had it bad. It sounds like he had everything going against him since early childhood, realistically. Amazing talent cannot somehow counteract that sort of fundamental life handicap.

This has E:60 written all over it. The last few seasons of Coach Osbourne and Nebraska were incredibly controversial and nearly ruined his legacy. At the time, many felt as though he abandoned his principles for titles. Lawrence Phillips and Christian Peter were bad guys and did not fit the traditional Nebraska recruit. Sure it would be an amazing watch, but Nebraska fans would have to face some tough truths.

I had wondered what had happened to him. This is a situation of a very troubled man that succumbed to his inner demons. The fact that he should have just been exiting his NFL career a few years back is mind-boggling. I grew up watching backs that wouldn't have sniffed the talent this guy had. Truly one of the best College Backs I saw during the 90s.

Wonder how the Rams felt mortgaging Jerome Bettis for this guy?

2. Mighty NorCal

Mighty NorCal SHALL WE BEGIN?

An all time level prospect, who pretty clearly should have been in a mental institution rather than a jail.

Sad story all around.

3. J.J.

Yeah he really should have been in a mental institute than a Prison.

I always felt he received an unfair share of criticism that he failed to pick up on the blitz that laid Steve Young out. Which ultimately ended Young's NFL career. He didn't deserve all that criticism because the 49ers knew he was a liability at blocking and should've just utilized him at KR.

4. Mustang Sally

Mustang Sally Sells seashells by the seashore

I don't know the specific story of Lawrence Phillips but if he was as mentally defective as he must have been to have committed the crimes he did even while having the world on a string, it would seem his enormous athletic talent was probably the worst thing for him.

Early in life, instead of learning not to do wrong because of being punished for it, the rules were bent for Phillips once his prodigious talent was discovered. From then on, people made excuses for him, allowed him to sneak out of bad situations and go unpunished when doing wrong. In college, he probably passed his classes without bothering to show up for them and had coaches and administrators ignore his rules violations, instead praising him for being a 'fine young man.'

In adult life, he acted entirely on his impulses, which frequently involved doing wrong, and was probably honestly puzzled at what people were making such a fuss about since he was always allowed to skate by before. Then, we're shocked and dismayed when he goes and does whatever he wants, including murder.

I'm not excusing Phillips and blaming 'society' for this; Phillips was a bad egg. But the way he was gurgled over for years because he could run with a football likely contributed to what he became.

5. J.J.

He came from a rather broken household - it was heavily identified after the Rams released him. It's just unfortunate he either didn't reach out for help or the Nebraska program was just riding the wave of the success he helped bring there during his time. I'm not even sure if the Rams or teammates he eere playing with done anything either. 49ers had this whole; "you mess up you're gone" mindset so it seems like he never stood a chance there. Not sure about any family or friends that were around him during his College and short pro tenure. I know at Nebraska he had generated heat with fighting teammates.