Lack of Black Champs

1. Does the low number of black World Champions surprise you? Or do you not see many black wrestlers in history deserving a world title?

2. Do you consider the ECW Championship during it's time in WWE as a legit World Championship?

3. And finally, which black wrestlers do you think should be a world champion? That goes for past, present, and future.

Explain and make a case.

1)not really, its all about the inring ability, thats what these things should be, skin colour isnt a factor, what is if they can wrestle, that and being popular helps to. i see numerous that deserved a world title (some multiple times).
2)i would count the wcw belt as a major title while it had its short lifespan in the wwe before it was retired. i would say ths cause wcw was its own brand before vince took over and let it sink, therefore it was a major title.
3)i cant name any off the top of my head, but there hs been many that i feel should have gotten a push to the top.

Before JYD hit the WWF, he was already a champion with a number of promotions including Stampede Wrestling. He was never a great wrestler, but he was very popular (in a number of regions), capable of working the crowd and doing some quality work as a heel champ. Of course, his drug use (according to authors, those who knew him), weight gain, killed what could have been a much greater career.

I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times, for some one to become a credible champion that any one wants to embrace or hate, you have to do a lot of character development. The Rock was booed out of arenas before he became the people's champ, Austin had a crappy gimmick before Austin 3:16 took off. Triple H was a blue blood snob no one cared about it before the Game reached the popularity he sees now. Mick Foley was never viewed as the main eventer before his title run. Hogan was a heel before Hulkamania ran wild. So the IT factor is important, but it's one of many things not the defining thing that makes some one a champion an audience will pay to see. Tell me one superstar who didn't have some character development before he became big ?

Even fewer black performers get that opportunity even though, there are and were a number of performers who were loved and/or hated by the crowd, could work on the mike and work in the ring. Kingston is rarely allowed to talk and he jobs more often than not. How much is he given to really make a connection with the audience ? He was popular (and might still be ) popular with a wide range of fans irregardless of colour. MVP did great for a time on Smackdown, they put him on Raw to job to every one else. He makes some suggestions as to make his character more interesting he's turned down and he's later released. Burke is capable on the mike and in the ring and he is released, 2Cold Scorpio was there, they can't find anything for him. It's a consistent pattern, that is so blatant, it's impossible not to ask this question. What was so great about Sheamus, that warranted him getting 2 title reigns ? His mike ability ? His look ? His in-ring work. Batista while popular (thanks to a feud with Triple H) couldn't talk or work in the ring to save his life and was usually carried in terms of both aspects in any feud he was in. Swagger was a flop. So they'll make these steps with these guys but not take a gamble on any black wrestlers ? Black wrestlers are more likely to be released before they got the shot the above guys got or even work a match against a top tier performer. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's the 21st century for shits sake. If they won't take a risk now with such a crappy product when will they ? When will they stop looking for the same old tired view of what they want their champions to be and actually try a black performer at the head of the roster ?

That's sickening.

And once again the generalization of it being slanted specifically against just blacks is exactly my point. Not even counting the examples I made in my earlier post about Japanese and Hispanic stars, how about the number of white stars that just don't get that chance? A slew of performers from the Hogan era never got the strap that were plenty over and had the mic skills (Rick Rude, Mr. Perfect, Paul Orndorff, Rick Martel, and a bunch of others) Billy Gunn never got the title, neither did Hardcore Holly, Val Venis, Test, and a bunch of others from this era. All the people mentioned are at least in the same boat as the stars you've pointed out and never got the gold. All of them have had matches with main eventers, all have jobbed to them, and all left without that belt.

Everyone can't get the belt, and we can't make the selection based on color alone. You're right Kofi is being buried in the mid card and any trace of the rub he got from his feud with Orton has long vanished. But he has a mid card title.

Shelton Benjamin, who many people (myself included) believe should have had a title run held many mid card belts and tag titles

2 Cold Scorpio is an immensely talented performer that never got the strap, but held many other titles in every promotion he's worked for.

Ezekiel isn't close to ready, neither was Shad or JTG. MVP goes in the same category as Shelton in that he has had a lot of mid card success but could have held the title.

My point is that Rude, Orndorff, Martel, Hennig, and many of the other people I mentioned are exactly in the same category. Tremendous talent, great mic work, no WHC.

The first portion of my thread covered the issues of a white dominated business due to its original demographic and the slow progression of other talent throughout it's history. Minority talent has progressively become more successful and have increased in number over the years, and we have had minority champs. Not all will make it, certainly not all the ones we think deserve it. But we've had more now than we ever haves just a few decades ago, and more are coming. But they're not the only ones not getting that chance.

@thedukeofpearls: What's so great about Sheamus ? That's a stupid question.

Sheamus doesn't impress me in the ring, or on the mike. He has improved but not to a point where he should have been champion once, let alone twice. Are there any performers who are worse ? Absolutely. There are also performers who were definitely better. There is nothing about him, imo, which screams he needs to be in the main event. Nothing. So if you see something I don't, give me the match, show segment or interview, where he did something so remarkable that made every person stop and take notice, and I'll say it's a stupid question. Because the tv ratings, ppv buyrates and merchandise don't say anything special about him to me.

I never said there weren't white, asian etc. performers who could've been champions. Of course there are. That's not the topic of this discussion. I'm not asking the companies to put belts on guys just because they are black. I'm saying, I think with all the black talent that has worked in the business, the number of black champions is very disappointing.

@thedukeofpearls: What's so great about Sheamus ? That's a stupid question.

Sheamus doesn't impress me in the ring, or on the mike. He has improved but not to a point where he should have been champion once, let alone twice. Are there any performers who are worse ? Absolutely. There are also performers who were definitely better. There is nothing about him, imo, which screams he needs to be in the main event. Nothing. So if you see something I don't, give me the match, show segment or interview, where he did something so remarkable that made every person stop and take notice, and I'll say it's a stupid question. Because the tv ratings, ppv buyrates and merchandise don't say anything special about him to me.

I never said there weren't white, asian etc. performers who could've been champions. Of course there are. That's not the topic of this discussion. I'm not asking the companies to put belts on guys just because they are black. I'm saying, I think with all the black talent that has worked in the business, the number of black champions is very disappointing.

If you followed me throughout this thread, you'd notice that I not only confirmed "there are lack of black champions", but actually sided with this theory.

What's the talk about Sheamus?
Do you even realize who Sheamus wrestled against the past year or so? Let's see.

Orton- Because it is a great idea to put Sheamus against Orton in a HWC match, and watch him get punted in the head prior. Afterall, Orton just screams of "great talent". Next.

John Morrison- A guy who should be in TNA wrestling, not the WWE. I'm sure he displays lots of talent being that he pulls off so many "spots".

Mark Henry- Snail caught in wet cement.

Cena- Yeah. ok.

Triple H- Possibly the most boring feud Sheamus could be in. Somehow, Triple H had a crappy match that still made Sheamus look incredibly weak afterwards.

So what would make someone look crappy in WWE?
Just toss them against any of these "top guys" and make comments afterwards.
Let it be noted that I'm currently not watching ANY wrestling as of late because of my disappointment. My girlfriend sits down and watches a minute or two of the match, and tells me who's gonna win and how they're gonna win. So, honestly, I could care less who wins any title in WWE being that the HWC lost it's value. WWE used to be about making the company and fellow wrestlers better performers, and now it's about crowd reaction and poor match quality. This would largely explain Sheamus' disposition. Bottom line- Noone looks impressive without build-up.

I completely agree. I also mentioned my overall issue with the topic was that putting the focus on black wrestlers is polarizing, though I'm confident that wasn't the original intent. Heading with a title like that is going to bring that out. I simply don't want it to be reduced to a black vs. white argument, because it's rarely that simple.

On this point I simply believe we are arriving at the same point from different directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back