Kurt Angle (WWE or TNA guy)

DaBadGuy

Occasional Pre-Show
I was planning on making this thread a few months back after Angle was inducted into the Hall of Fame but never got around to it, but after watching the Kurt Angle documentary it restored my interest into making it again. (Also I'm planning on making a few more threads like this depending on how this one goes but I digress) Kurt Angle has had a great career in both WWE and TNA and crazy enough he actually spent more time in TNA than WWE, which begs me to ask the question to this forum, will you remember Kurt more as a WWE or TNA guy.

For me I personally will always look at him as more of a WWE guy. Even though he spent more time in TNA and may have even had better matches there, but for me he just had and made more memorable moments with the WWE. Kurt even said himself at the Hall of Fame ceremony to take chances with your character because the character moments last forever. When I think of Angle I think of the dorky dude always drinking or spraying the Alliance with milk, singing songs backstage with Austin and The Rock, the many moments he had with Edge & Christian, getting his head shaved bald and wearing that toupee, the love triangle between him, Stephanie McMahon, and HHH and so on. Even his moments later in his career with the WWE when he had his fued with HBK and sung "Im just a sexy Kurt" with Sensational Sherri, woo offs with Ric Flair, or his fued with Booker T when he was obsessed with Sharmel. Also the "You Suck" chants alone will always be tagged to Angle and remembered no matter how old and long he's a way from the WWE. Overall I think an argument can be made that Kurt had a better in ring career in TNA but the moments just aren't there compared to what he did in WWE. So for me I say he's a WWE guy but that doesn't take away from the great career he had in TNA. So maybe some of you feel I value moments a little bit more over matches in this topic but thats my opinion. What is everyone else's take on this, is Angle more of a WWE or TNA guy in your eye's.

In my eyes, Angle is generally a "WWE guy" who happened to be a big star in TNA. Angle became a star in WWE, was one of the biggest stars during the Attitude Era and through the first half of the 2000s and Angle himself said in various interviews on a number of occasions while he was with TNA that he intended to ultimately retire in WWE. Of course, Angle said the same thing about TNA at various points but I'm not sure anyone really took him seriously.

Angle accomplished a lot in TNA, no question, but I think you sort of have to look at his career as a whole. Angle may have spent more time in TNA, but it's hard to see him as being as big of a star in TNA as he was in WWE given that TNA's audience at its peak was still only a fraction of WWE. I'm sure that's not something that won't be a factor in the opinions of some people but, for me personally, I don't see how that's really reasonable considering how often things like TV viewership, revenue, attendance, etc. are always factors considering how successful a company is.

Angle is one of the few who could be seen as either or. He's been very successful in both federations.

WWE
  • 1 time United States Champion
  • 6 time World Champion (1 WCW, 1 World Heavyweight, 4 WWE)
  • 1 time Tag Team Champion (1 with Chris Benoit)
  • 1 time European Champion
  • 1 time Hardcore Champion
  • 1 time Intercontinental Champion
  • King of the Ring (2000)
  • WWE Hall of Fame (Class of 2017)

TNA
  • 6 time World Heavyweight Champion
  • 2 time World Tag Team Champion (1 with Sting, 1 with AJ Styles)
  • 1 time X Division Champion
  • King of the Mountain (2007 & 2009)
  • TNA Hall of Fame (Class of 2013)

In both federations he is a 6 time World Champion, former Tag Team Champion, has held micard titles in both federations, is in both of their Hall Of Fames, and has held other honors in both. Angle has done it all in both of the two top american federations in pro wrestling today. That's incredible really. When someone has seen THAT much success in BOTH then it is likely going to come down to which federation you watched him more in and/or where you have the better memories from matches/promos/storylines of his. For me that is the WWE. I liked his time in TNA during the feud with Samoa Joe in 2008 and the Main Event Mafia storyline though I watched him far more in the WWE throughout the Attitude Era and his great run on Smackdown. Kurt Angle is primarily a WWE guy to me but also someone who saw success in TNA as well.

John Lydon had a longer and more successful-on-paper career in Public Image Limited...but he'll only ever truly be remembered for the Sex Pistols.

Dave Grohl has had a wonderful career with Foo Fighters, but his biggest mark on music is being the drummer for Nirvana.

Kurt Angle is a WWE guy because one company matters a whole lot more than the other. TNA is, essentially, Kurt's (moderately) successful side-project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back