Kevin Nash or the Big Show?

Kevin Nash or the Big Show?

• Big Sexy

• Big Show

• Equal

Results are only viewable after voting.

CM Steel

A REAL American
Kevin Nash and the Giant aka the Big Show go back along way back to the days of WCW in the New World Order. They were the big men not just of the nWo but during the Monday night wars era over in WCW. But the two would eventully face-off against each other in a one-on-one match. After one match the two had in WCW then-WCW president J.J. Dillion had to ban the use of the powerbomb move for a short while. But life after WCW to the WWE the two are older, wiser than before and are seen as to veterens who have paid their dues in the business. But in your own opinion who would you pick as the better big man to have the better wrestling career, Kevin Nash aka Diesel or the Big Show aka the Giant?

Kevin Nash all the way, guy had a year long WWF title reign, multiple time WCW champion, IC champ, multiple time WWF and WCW tag team champs; charter member of the Kliq and founding father of the nWo. How much more could you really want out of a career?

"Big Sexy" for me.

Kevin Nash is going to go down as more important to the wrestling business than Paul Wight in my opinion. While both were multi-time World Champions, Nash (as Diesel) held the WWF title for a full year, was part of one of the most successful tag-teams of all time in The Outsiders, and of course was one of the founding members of the New World Order- which started one of the most important angles in the history of professional wrestling. He's strong on the mic, has the aura of "cool" and was arguably one of the best "bodyguards" in wrestling.

Paul Wight could have been something special in wrestling. When he was back in WCW, he could dropkick and "kip up" which was unheard of from a man his size. But he piled on weight and stopped trying in my opinion. He's been up and down the card so many times in WWE now that I can't really take him seriously as a main event talent anymore and I don't know of any wrestler who has had more Face/Heel turns than Big Show. He's had periods where he's performed well but I've always found his matches so basic and boring. Give me a Nash match any day over anything Big Show has ever done.

Even with his dodgy quad, Kevin Nash is better than Big Show.

Big Show for me. Not that Nash was not brilliant before injuries took their toll; because he was.

However, because Big Show debuted in 1995 as The Giant. He has been at, or near, the top of WCW or WWE ever since. Kevin Nash on the other hand was Vinnie Vegas in WCW. He only became a Main Eventer in 1994 when he was dominant in the Royal Rumble. Whilst he was WWF champion for almost a year, he didn't become a runaway success story until he formed the outsiders in WCW on his return there. Nash was an exciting character; but his injuries began to slow him down. By January 1999 WCW was on the decline and so was Nash. Big Show however, split and went to WWF/WWE where he became a huge success. Even recently Big Show has been a draw.

I only have been swayed to Paul Wight because he has been around in Wrestling longer and over a longer period of time he has drawn more; and this is because of Nash's knees mostly.

Whenever I think of Kevin Nash, I remember when I had satellite TV, which sometimes enabled you to see images that weren't being "live" broadcast yet; the camera was picking up the feed and a one-camera image could occasionally be seen on satellite, usually with no sound. It was during his WCW tenure, and Nash was sitting in a barber chair, getting a trim while talking about his importance to his present and former employers. It was an exposure fans never get to see because Nash didn't know anyone was watching except for whomever he was talking to, who didn't interrupt Nash's monologue even once. Kevin just seemed to enjoy the sound of his own voice. His "real" personality was just as we always saw on TV; Kevin thought he was King Shit of Turd Mountain. You should have seen the guy talking about all the women who flocked to him and Scott Hall on the road and other experiences that indicated he felt WCW and WWE wouldn't be nearly as good without him. His sense of self-importance was nauseating and made me think that even in his failed gimmicks as Vinnie Vegas and Oz....as well as under the guises under which we know him better, he's been playing himself rather than portraying a character, which has to be easier than actual acting.

I compare that to Paul Wight, who has shown a range of talents I wouldn't have thought possible when he first appeared in WCW. The guy is more than just a big body; he transitions easily from heel to face...and convinces me every time. Consider how angry he seemed during his last heel run....and compare it to his "happy giant" routine these days. We've seen it many times in his career, and I feel no one does it better. The guy is more versatile as a performer than Nash, and I'm forever surprised how well he moves around the ring for his size, especially given his age.

I've enjoyed Big Show so much more than Kevin Nash.

Kevin Nash, sadly.

I say sadly because I want to like the Big Show. I'm sure behind the scenes, Paul Wight is a much much nicer guy than Kevin Nash ever was. He's probably preferable as a worker for his colleagues, and he tries harder, carries the company line better, and all that jazz.

The problem is that his matches are just boring and have always been. I can't take him seriously...I haven't taken him seriously since his first year in the WWE. If the Big Show was ever a legit threat for the WWE title, those days have long, long passed. I can't even say I enjoy his matches. I cringe when he is involved in angles now...I cringe because it's not only a forgone conclusion, but it's just damned dull to watch him work.

Kevin Nash may've been a douchebag, and he may've been slow as hell, but he could at least be carried to a great match. I've seen it plenty of times with guys like the Steiners, and Shawn Michaels, and Bret Hart. I'm racking my brain to find the "great" Big Show/Giant match, and I can't recall one.

Nash, far and away. Oodles more charisma and care-factor that Giant was just never known for. Giant went a few years there in WCW where he was really putting on great matches, and had a ton going his way, but like Nash, as his age crept up, his work rate fell dramatically, and he more closely started to resemble Great Khali, or similar big men who lacked the personality necessary to stay over.

Now Nash never wowed anyone with his work rate either, but what he always had going for him was the fact that despite all his draw backs in the ring, was his work with a microphone, and his ability verbally carry himself through any angle.

At the end of the day, say what you will about the best technical wrestlers and tacticians in the industry, but when you are neck-and-neck, personality always wins out. At least for me. For the same reason why when the "best of the best" lists get released and rehashed year-after-year, substantially inferior wrestlers like Hogan, Andre, Warrior, or even Cena are always near the top.

I gotta give it to Nash.. Kevin accomplished way more than Big show did IMO.. At a time when WWF was going through a transition period,and lacking star power kevin took the company on his back and carried it.. He carried the belt for over a year and battled guys like Bret Hart,HBK,Taker.. That WM Match to me,was very underrated and doesnt get the love it should..

Plus Kevin was a member of the Outsiders very successful tag team correct me if im wrong on this,but six time WCW tag team champions.. Plus he help found,a group called maybe you have heard of it,THE NWO!!

Big Show when he came in,holy shit.. Never have we seen a big man like him,be able to do a dropkick and a kip up! You kidding me a 7 footer doing a kip-up and dropkick! Wow. I know he gets a ton of slack for putting on weight,but who knows if it was the surgery he had,or he thought he could have coasted due to his talent.. JR often said of the big show,that potential does not buy the groceries,he has to work at it.. I think if Big show really worked and never slacked he could have been the greatest big man ever.. Even better than the Beloved Andre The Giant!

Nash will always get the nod over Wight because he handled his career better once he had some stroke. The Big Show could have been a monster to rival Andre or the Undertaker but his period between leaving WCW and his the first several years in the WWF destroyed that because he just became, to be completely blunt, a big lazy lump. Because of this, despite his best attempts since, no one buys him as a top monster - he's the guy to feed to the top guys.

Nash worked his way up through Vinnie Vegas and Oz and then turned a bodyguard spot into a near year long title run. Following that he was the true "Oh this is serious!" guy in the initial WCW invasion because of said title run and micro managed his time there that he never looked a fool (no tears here!).

Nash might be remembered as one of the guys who way overachieved (limited in ring performer with shot knees) but Wright will DEFINITELY be remembered as potentially the biggest waste/ underachiever (from a guy who debuted with moonsaults and kip-ups in his arsenal to an unsightly body mass you get the feeling Vince wouldn't have signed to a 10 year guaranteed contract in hindsight).

I'm a fan of The Big Show. I liked him a lot in his early days in WCW and up until maybe mid-2000 in the WWF. But regardless, it's Kevin Nash for sure. His resume is just far superior, especially on the impact to the business.

• He got over as the cool tweener in Big Daddy Cool Diesel in an era full of cartoon characters.
  • Held the WWF Championship for a year. You want to talk about how bad the numbers were when Diesel was champ? He drew the same ratings in the fall of 1995 feuding with British Bulldog and Bret Hart that WCW did with Hulk Hogan, The Dungeon of Doom and The Giant.
  • Revolutionized the business in mid-1996 with The Outsiders and as a pivotal member of The n.W.o. One of, if not the biggest wrestling angle in North American wrestling history.
  • Was one of the top draws WCW had as a babyface in 1998 as the leader of the n.W.o. Wolfpac. He also ended Goldberg's streak, political or not, and despite the execution of the ending, he was actually over enough to be a legitimate threat to the streak.

The Big Show has had a nice long and successful career. His highlights are being a two time WCW Champion (including youngest WCW Champion) and a two time WWF Champion (including co-headlining WrestleMania 2000 and being the first to defeat Brock Lesnar). I just think that overall, Kevin Nash's career had a bigger impact.

Nash. Nash had the charisma and just did so much more than BS. Plus Paul really let himself go.

Nash was and always will be a douche just like his buddies Hall and Hogan. But you can't take away what he did because he is a douche.

At the end of the day, say what you will about the best technical wrestlers and tacticians in the industry, but when you are neck-and-neck, personality always wins out. At least for me. For the same reason why when the "best of the best" lists get released and rehashed year-after-year, substantially inferior wrestlers like Hogan, Andre, Warrior, or even Cena are always near the top.

Those lists cater to the lowest wrestling fan. That is why they are around.

Definitely Big Show for me. In my opinion Big Show, not Andrè, is the greatest giant in wrestling. I grew up watching Andrè, and even in his younger days before his acromegaly took its toll on him, his best nights paled in comparison to Big Show on a lazy one. Big Show is a tremendously gifted athlete for a man of his size, and there's a damn good reason he's had seven World Championship reigns. Big Show has had an amazing career and is definitely Hall of Fame bound, headlining his class. I think Big Show gets a lot of flak from fans because "he's not Andrè". I think if people looked at both of their careers and their abilities objectively, people would say "Andrè who?". Big Show is superior in every way.

Kevin Nash was just a mediocre big guy. He was only WWE Champion for a year because Vince was DESPERATE to replace Hulk Hogan and saw a big, imposing guy who would be his "next megastar". They spent a year shoving DIESEL POWER down the fans' throats and it was one of the worst periods in WWE history.

Kevin Nash. He was cool as hell from 1993-1999, and managed to be entertaining at other times. Big Show was intimidating from 1995-1999, but since the turn of the millennium he's generally been a joke and an inconvenience.

The Big Show is my personal favorite wrestler of all time, primarily through nostalgia though. There have been better guys, but he became my fav as a kid and it's just stayed with me. I think he's a much better worker than Nash.

However...

Nash has been kind of lucky. He rebounded from a disastrous WWF championship run and helped make WcW important and change how wrestling was perceived. Then over time, people began to look more fondly upon his Diesel reign. The Big Show on the other hand was put in stupid angle after stupid angle, gained a lot of weight and there reached a point where WcW and WWE didn't know what to do with him.

I like Big Show a lot more (not that I dislike Nash), but Nash will have a more enduring legacy.

I always like to look at the facts when comparing two guys.

Kevin Nash
- IC Champion
- 2 time WWF Tag Team Champion
- WWF Champion (Year long title reign)
- 9 time WCW Tag Team Champion
- 5 time WCW World Champion
- Part of the Kliq and the NWO
- Main evented Wrestlemanias against Undertaker and Shawn Michaels

Big Show
- 2 time WCW World Champion
- 3 time WCW Tag Team Champion
- ECW World Champion
- 8 time WWE Tag Team Champion
- IC Champion
- US Champion
- 4 time WWE Champion
- Part of NWO in 97 and 02
- Main evented Wrestlemania 16 against HHH, Rock, and Mankind

Say what you want about Kevin Nash being the "hands down" better big man, but being the most controversial does not mean your the best. Big Shows resume is much longer than Kevin Nash's and Nash's relevant career was much shorter than Shows. Nash may have been a huge part of the NWO and Kliq but I don't think a popularity contest should determine who's really the better wrestler (and yes thats all the Kliq and NWO were, popularity contests). Imo Nash was vastly overrated both in the ring and on the mic... He just surrounded himself with top talent. If you think Nash could seriously hang with Hogan, Hall, HHH, and Michaels if he wasn't their best buddy you're crazy.

I'd say "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash but not by much.

I'm not a huge fan of either guy, especially their runs in WCW & they have both had their ups & down but in the end I think Nash's star power & overall better feuds wins out over The Big Show's longevity as an in-ring competitor.

Kevin Nash
- IC Champion

Big Show
- ECW World Champion
- IC Champion
- US Champion
- 4 time WWE Champion

Say what you want about Kevin Nash being the "hands down" better big man, but being the most controversial does not mean your the best. Big Shows resume is much longer than Kevin Nash's and Nash's relevant career was much shorter than Shows. Nash may have been a huge part of the NWO and Kliq but I don't think a popularity contest should determine who's really the better wrestler (and yes thats all the Kliq and NWO were, popularity contests). Imo Nash was vastly overrated both in the ring and on the mic... He just surrounded himself with top talent. If you think Nash could seriously hang with Hogan, Hall, HHH, and Michaels if he wasn't their best buddy you're crazy.

You've got several facts wrong on your list though. Big Show was a 2-Time WWE Champion, not 4-Time. You left off that he's a 2-Time World Heavyweight Champion (unless that's where you got those other WWE title reigns from, even though they're two completely different championships so that makes no sense). Kevin Nash's match with Undertaker at WrestleMania 12 was a midcard match, not a main event. Hart/HBK was the only recognized main event level match for WM12. And you left off the fact that Big Show was in main event matches at WM24 and WM25. So ironically, you left off information that pushes Big Show even MORE into the lead.

You've got several facts wrong on your list though. Big Show was a 2-Time WWE Champion, not 4-Time. You left off that he's a 2-Time World Heavyweight Champion (unless that's where you got those other WWE title reigns from, even though they're two completely different championships so that makes no sense). Kevin Nash's match with Undertaker at WrestleMania 12 was a midcard match, not a main event. Hart/HBK was the only recognized main event level match for WM12. And you left off the fact that Big Show was in main event matches at WM24 and WM25. So ironically, you left off information that pushes Big Show even MORE into the lead.

Well 2 of the 4 "facts" I seem to have wrong on my list are actually just your opinion. I guess I should have clarified by calling Big Show a 4 time WWE World Champion, but I assumed people would understand I was lumping the two most prestigious titles in WWE history at the top... So yes, you're right I misspoke. You're also right that I forgot Mania 25 when he faced Cena and Edge, my bad...

But saying that Diesel vs Taker at Mania 12 wasn't a main event match and Big Show vs Floyd Mayweather at Mania 24 was is a matter of opinion. Diesel and Taker were both on the Mania 12 poster along with Michaels and Hart, both guys were huge stars at the time (former WWE Champions), and were two of the freshest up and coming young stars in the business... Throw in the fact this was easily the number 2 billed match and I would argue that it was definitely not a "midcard match". As for Show-Mayweather, just because a match goes in the last 3 of the night, does not mean that it is a main event. Mania 24 had Edge vs Taker, Orton vs Cena and HHH, Michaels vs Flair in Flair's retirement match, not to mention MITB. I would very well call Show vs Mayweather a midcard match or even better a special attraction.

Nash will always get the nod over Wight because he handled his career better once he had some stroke. The Big Show could have been a monster to rival Andre or the Undertaker but his period between leaving WCW and his the first several years in the WWF destroyed that because he just became, to be completely blunt, a big lazy lump. Because of this, despite his best attempts since, no one buys him as a top monster - he's the guy to feed to the top guys.

Nash worked his way up through Vinnie Vegas and Oz and then turned a bodyguard spot into a near year long title run. Following that he was the true "Oh this is serious!" guy in the initial WCW invasion because of said title run and micro managed his time there that he never looked a fool (no tears here!).

Nash might be remembered as one of the guys who way overachieved (limited in ring performer with shot knees) but Wright will DEFINITELY be remembered as potentially the biggest waste/ underachiever (from a guy who debuted with moonsaults and kip-ups in his arsenal to an unsightly body mass you get the feeling Vince wouldn't have signed to a 10 year guaranteed contract in hindsight).

I think this post basically hits the nail on the head.

Kevin Nash overachieved. He had for more natural charisma. But needed to claw his way to the top, from terrible WCW gimmicks to being second fiddle bodyguard to Michaels. Ultimately leveraging his backstage power, friends and politics to position himself as a top guy in the business, and an overall very successful career.

The Big Show underachieved. He had more god given ability, the size, the look and he was very athletic considering how big he was. He ended up with a successful career but everyone still expected more from him, simply due to his god given abilities, and Wight ultimately got lazy and coasted on this alone.

Also part of what gives Kevin Nash the lead for me is that he just gets wasted and does a million shoot interviews. So entertaining.

Kevin Nash all the way. Show has never had a match as great as the Hart / Diesel one from Survivor Series, Nash was far better on the mic, better in matches, angles, etc etc. To me, this is a non debate and I'm somebody who actually likes Big Show a lot. But he is no Kevin Nash.

Kevin Nash
- IC Champion

Big Show
- ECW World Champion
- IC Champion
- US Champion
- 4 time WWE Champion

Some notes/opinions:

Main eventing WrestleMania as part of a Fatal Four or Triple Threat match is hardly the same thing as a straight up 1 on 1 main event spot.

Adding ECW as a World Championship as an achievement is kind of laughable. Being the biggest fish of a third rate show is not something to crow about.

Also, Big Show's longest WWE title clocked in 72 days, with one of those reigns being his 1 minute reign before Daniel Bryan cashed in the Money in the Bank briefcase.

Saying that Kevin Nash was part of the NWO is kind of like saying Ric Flair was part of the Four Horsemen and then comparing him to Paul Roma...also part of the Four Horsemen. Nash's relevance regarding that angle was huge compared to The Giant.

Longevity today typically means that you are going to end up with more titles (mostly tag titles) by virtue of sticking around. It's why I'm not impressed with modern day stats...they are indicative of one's tenure, not quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back