Ken Anderson's Contract is Expiring; Should He Leave?

Discussion in 'The Wrestling Archives' started by Hard Hit Prince, Aug 23, 2013.

?

What should Ken Anderson do?

1. Resign

2. Leave

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hard Hit Prince

Hard Hit Prince Not really working as a

[​IMG]

» PWInsider is reporting not only the problems between AJ Styles and TNA, but also between Ken Anderson and the company when it comes to renew their contracts. Some websites are reporting that Ken Anderson's contract expires at September 12 and that TNA is asking for him to lower his salary, which isn't working out.

As a fan I gotta say it hurts to see Ken Anderson going without accomplishing anything really relevant in his career. He was at some point the total package and people really bought that he could have been the one to push TNA up in the wrestling landscape. Instead of it, he got a push, a championship and then that was it. His history with injuries is documented and since he's a former WWE alumni, he's probably getting paid a lot more money than most of the guys. For me, unfortunately I think that his time is running out. He isn't doing anything worth watching right now, being involved in this Aces & Eights angle and what not...

But forget about me!

• What do you say about Ken Anderson possible departure?
    • Do you think he'll resign or try his luck in the WWE world once more?
    • General thoughts on the TNA career of Anderson.

2. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

Anderson is a good fit in TNA where he is now. He never fit as the top guy in the company but as second in command of a heel stable he's fitting in quite well. Anderson is an asset to TNA as most of his major success has been there.

As for going back to WWE, I don't know if they'd take him. he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in TNA and he left WWE because of injuries and not being trustworthy due to wellness issues. Anderson is 37 years old and I don't think there's enough value there for a big WWE run. I'd get it if he tried, but he's probably better in TNA.

3. It's Damn Real!

It's Damn Real! The undisputed, undefeated TNA &

The working theory at the moment is that the Aces & Eights are going to end by Bound For Glory, so Anderson would be in a position to re-invent himself again from that point forward. Personally, I'd re-sign him. He's been one of their better performers for a few years now, and I didn't see the failure in his World Title days the way so many others did. I actually still think he's something you can build around.

But regardless, he's still a good fit. So long as the money is right for both sides, I see no reason why either would bail on re-signing.

4. hatehabsforever

hatehabsforever Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If I were Ken Anderson, I'd stay exactly where I am and count my blessings that I'm still employed in the professional wrestling business, with the number two promotion no less. If that meant taking a slight pay cut, then so be it.

I doubt WWE has any interest in him whatsoever, so if I were him, I think I would be very careful about burning my bridges in TNA on the expectation that he is heading back to WWE. Even if the powers that be took a collective brain cramp and took him back, he's never going to be a major player in WWE. I think he should stay where he is. Otherwise he is likely looking at either premature retirement, a career step backwards, or finishing up his days in jobberville.

At least in TNA, he's Vice President of Aces and Eights. Small accomplishment but likely more favourable than the alternatives.

Jack-Hammer and LSN80 like this.
  5. GameOver

GameOver Mid-Card Championship Winner

Agreed, to if he was given a decent storyline he might be able to work with it, he's not totally useless he just lacks any engagement to the fans other then the KENEDY or ANDERSON chant, no way in hell would WWE want him back and as you said if they did he would be lower midcard at best.

6. FitFinlay4Life

FitFinlay4Life What's the craic?

Going back to WWe will NEVER happen - he's hated by at least two of the top guys (Cena and Orton), hasn't come close to doing anything significant enough in TNA for WWe top brass to overlook that and his age is well against him.

RoH? I'd be highly surprised because I don't think his ring style would mesh and I doubt they'd be looking to pay his wage demands given that he has never proven any drawing power.

Japan? Ken's biggest attribute is his promo ability... not a factor in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Anderson is well down the TNA Totem Pole currently; so if he leaves, he leaves - it'll not hurt IW one little bit. But I really don't see any alternative for him than to re-sign with TNA unless he is sufficiently financially stable or has something else he can fall back on.

Jack-Hammer and Blade like this.
  7. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

From what I've watched of Impact over the last two weeks, Anderson and Tessmacher's attire have been the most entertaining aspects. His backstage conversation with Bully, "can you beat him?" - "I DON'T KNOW!!!" was some pretty good unintentional comedy. I don't see many people on the roster that can carry a segment like he can. I've never been much of a fan, his voice is cool, it kind of remind me of a dubbed English voice on an old Japanese karate movie. He just looks and acts stupid and not in a heel way, in a "what the fuck is wrong with you?" kind of way.

So I think he should stick with TNA. Maybe he can't keep his pay scale but if they meet his market price I can't see why he would want to leave at this point. All of this is hard to say seeing that there are so many variables we don't know.

Nolan - sorry my post sucked but here's a tip: in a context like this it is best to use the word "re-sign" as opposed to "resign". It looks like you are asking us if Anderson should quit or leave.

8. Haight

Haight Dark Match Jobber

I distinctly remember an interview by Anderson in which he stated that he did not
    want to be the kind of wrestler who went past his prime. When it was time to leave,
    he said he would leave. He gave a time frame of about 5 years. This was about 2 or
    3 years ago. With that said however, I like him...he's entertaining and his best work
    has been with A&8 IMO. He would make a good president should the club continues. I
    sensed a little friction between Bully and him so who knows? BTW your poll didn't include 'none of the above' so I didn't vote.

9. THTRobtaylor

THTRobtaylor Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist

Anderson is in a different position to guys like Christian, RVD who have returned or guys like Morrison and MVP who have yet to. He left cos he was buried (I think unfairly) by Randy Orton and perhaps an assist from Cena... That Orton is currently champion and back in the good graces more than anything would make it hard to see Ken back...

BUT

he could certainly play a role in the E right now, similar to R-Truth when he came in, a moderate push with a clean slate...If the issues were about safety and experience, he has had several years more now without coming close to hurting someone, so immediately he gets some "benefit of the doubt" in that perhaps guys were protecting their positions rather than their bodies.... He will guarantee a pop and if done on a PPV a ratings boost for RAW and he is someone who can go against a Curtis Axel, Bray Wyatt and help them improve - in and out of the ring as he had the tough run, he will have knowledge to share...

As of today AJ is more likely to show up - but Vince would be dumb to not consider using Anderson, even on a short term deal.

10. HBsam31

HBsam31 Totally Reeking of Awesomeness

I haven't really been a fan of Anderson in TNA until his run in Aces and Eights oddly enough. He has played his role very well. I actually think he should try his luck in WWE, mostly because I always wonder what could have been for him. He could easily fit in the World Title picture going against Christian, Del Rio, and RVD. Will be interesting to see what he does, but odds are he will re sign with TNA imo.

11. GameOver

GameOver Mid-Card Championship Winner

He was perpetually injured not buried specifically, they pulled the plug on his MITB win because he got injured then when he returned he injured others but the fact remains he was given multiple pushes and each time he got injured or injured someone else, he was Mr Botchamania b4 Sin Cara was even an afterthought Personally i think he was highly overrated, he has some mic skills but on the whole he is just another generic bland rassler.

12. Nate DaMac

Nate DaMac Fuck erbody but me

He should go back if the WWE wants him. He'll be paid better, which at the end of the day is all that really matters if you're not a mark.

He used to have a problem with being injured but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Unless grudges are still being held after all this time, give him another shot.

Rayne likes this.
  13. The Eighties

The Eighties Forward Thinking Nostalgist

When Anderson was first put in the Aces & Eights angle I thought he looked awkward and bored, but once Bully was revealed as the leader and they started bouncing off each other he began doing his best work in years.

I think if they aren't low balling him too much and there are actual plans for him once the Aces angle is over, then he'd be wise to sign as I don't see WWE wanting him and he doesn't fit ROH's style.

14. SaveUsCMPunk

SaveUsCMPunk Pre-Show Stalwart

That interview he did where he basically said he wanted to be done in five years was in 2011. So, hopefully TNA gives Ken what he wants as I'd miss seeing him on TV. I don't know. I think he's also trying to do more acting so if he doesn't re-sign, he has that to go to. I don't think he'd go back to WWE. You never know though. With Sammartino, Bret Hart and Ultimate Warrior on friendly terms with WWE, it could be possible.

Unlike a lot of the IWC, I am not (nor will I ever be) on the Ken Anderson hate train.The guy is always entertaining on the mic and I like that they've given him the VP role. As for his accomplishments in TNA...both of his World Title reigns in TNA were what? One month each? That's not his fault. I don't think he's been used to his full potential in TNA. There was a time period where he wasn't seen on TV for several months. I'd like to see what they do with him after Aces N' Eights is through. He should have a proper reign before he's done.

Also, still can't believe people say he's overrated. How the Hell is he overrated when the majority of the IWC has been hating on him for the last 4-5 years? Randy Orton and Cody Rhodes are overrated.

15. Kizzani

Kizzani Getting Noticed By Management

If I was Ken Anderson I would be Calling WWE everyday and see what the current going rate is for Managers is. I think it would be a safe bet that being a Manager in WWE pays as much as the top guy in TNA.

Should he leave TNA or Stay. I think he should start talks with WWE and get as much money from the sinking ship that is TNA. Get that contract signed so when Dixie fails to keep the money flow coming a law suit can be filed and Anderson can get that last big pay day. Then head out to WWE and become a mouth Piece for one of the many talents on the roster that have no mic skills.

16. Lowdown

Lowdown Ooh baby I like it roooaaaaw!

I wasn't much of a fan of his when he was in WWE. But I have enjoyed his work in TNA, save for the brief championship run in 2011. While I don't see him as a top guy per se, I've always viewed him as a Roddy Piper type. He's decent on the mic and in the ring, and valuable to TNA in my eyes. But the company has been dropping talent left and right, some better than others. If Anderson doesn't take the pay cut, he could walk, which is something I don't wanna see. But idk if WWE would want him back, nor can I see him going to ROH either.

17. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah Championship Contender

Personally it would be better if Anderson does leave TNA and why I say that? It is because the man has pretty much done all he can do in TNA and not to mention it is like what have you done for me lately type of thing with him and plus he isn't as entertaining as he used to be but at least when he was a loner sort of like an anti-hero type character I will admit he actually was entertaining but since they turned him into something that he isn't then I would say yes he should leave

Plus there are superstars who could easily fill the void if he should leave the company

18. shalliin

shalliin Getting Noticed By Management

show some references to proof of your claim that he's hated by cena/orton or don't mention naming names. I'm not saying he isn't but put a reference to where you heard this or it means nothing.

As for the rest of your post, i don't agree with all of it. If you think his biggest attribute is his promo ability, you must think he's really terrible in the ring because imo, his promo's are pathetic. they always were whether he was anderson or kennedy, tna or wwe, they've all been mediocre at best and outright terrible on the average.

Mustang Sally likes this.
  19. ヒュー G. レックション

I'm very torn on this one. On the one hand, Anderson hasn't had a good match in ages. Had two crap world title reigns. Best match of his entire career was against Angle at Lockdown. And let's face it he;s never going to be at that level again.

On the other hand I have enjoyed him as VP of Aces and Eights. An excellent repackaging and one of the better members of the group who I feel really embraced the gimmick.

I think it's very likely Bully will choose to face Anderson at No Surrender and Bully will defeat him thus ending his TNA run like that. And I think I'd be perfectly fine with that. I don't think I'd enjoy Anderson as a singles guy again.

20. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

They may try to keep him on name recognition alone but I dont expect him to create any waves of excitement. I guess it will depend on if TNA sees a future for him after A and 8 's is over.

If he does go soon, I see him doing a few shows here and there before fading off to just a memory. He has no real shot or reason to come back to the WWE, ROH would not likely care and Japan does not exactly need another low-card american heel.

21. FitFinlay4Life

Erm... references? Am I applying for a job? It's quite well known that Mr Kennedy was fired by the WWe after 'botching' a shoulder toss on Randy not long after young Mr Orton returned from injury. Cena's name was associated with the majority of said stories.

And yet, prior to injury, the most successful promoter of all time had him lined up to be his storyline son (hence Mr Kennedy) which would have involved loads of mic time...

Mustang Sally likes this.
  22. shalliin

shalliin Getting Noticed By Management

1st-when you say shoulder toss, do you mean the back body drop, or what is called a hip toss, where you hook the arm to flip over the shoulder. because those are different things. in fact, the arm drag style hiptoss if botched is usually done by the person receiving the move not going into it with enough velocity or height on the leap to allow the giver to pull them over the hip and turn them onto the back. So depending on exactly what the move you mentioned was, it's just as likely Randy that botched it himself or tried to show up Kennedy and got hurt, but of course wwe had too much money and time invested in orton to get rid of him, so they got rid of anderson instead. if that is even the case. I noticed you didn't exactly respond to my request for confirmation of your claims, just pawned off the old excuse of 'well everyone knows'. which is crap since I've never heard of any of it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

There seems to be some mistaken belief that just because someone gets a lot of time means that they are good on the mic. That just isn't true. Sure Kennedy might have gotten a lot of talk time if the story line had gone with him being McMahon's son, but that doesn't mean it would be a good thing or be interesting to hear in any way shape or form.
    Lot's of people get time on the mic and are crap, or if not outright crap, just plain boring. Anderson/Kennedy whatever you call him is one of those people. His whole ... well 'persona' if you will when's he's trying to cut a promo is to try and rip off hhh/hbk/billy gunn from their dx days. The beats and patterns in his speech and phrasing are a clear rip off of those three. Only, he comes off sounding wrong somehow.
    Being inspired by their style is one thing, but plagarising from them and doing it badly are another. Every time he called down the mic from the roof I expected to hear him go into the whole 'ladies and gentleman, people of all ages, dx brings to you.....'
    I looko at him and listen to him and he comes off to me as the worst and most annoying parts of dx crossed with bob holly.

23. FitFinlay4Life

Type in "Orton Cena Kennedy" to a search engine - there is plenty of info on the subject.

And that is your prerogative to dislike him but he has always received a reaction on the mic - if he didn't he wouldn't be repeatedly given mic time... and you do realize that DX were plagiarizing Michael Buffer and that Ricardo Rodriguez and Fandango have both provided variations of Mr Kennedy's dislike of the way he was introduced by the ring announcer?

24. Mitch Henessey

Mitch Henessey Deploy the cow-catcher......
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't see any real benefit in keeping Ken Anderson around.

TNA pushed him to the moon twice, but his WHC runs as a heel and face flopped horribly. His concussion feud with Matt Morgan that lead to a #1 contender's match with Morgan at Genesis 2011 was the best I've seen with Anderson in TNA, and the feud wasn't anything great. It was solid at best. Sure, it wouldn't hurt to keep Ken Anderson around, but I don't see any real benefits of keeping him on the roster, because so far, he hasn't shown us anything special in TNA.

As far as WWE goes, I can't see that happening either. He doesn't seem to have the problem now, but Anderson was always injury prone in WWE. Every time WWE tried to give him a big push, everything was cut short, because Anderson couldn't stay healthy.

Plus, the stories about Anderson pissing off Orton could prevent his return. I think it was during that horribly shitty and unbearable storyline, when WWE did that Nuggets VS Lakers tag match, and Anderson suplexed Orton the wrong way. Orton was just coming off of an injury, and word has it Orton went backstage after the match and raised hell about Anderson's botch. Randy Orton is a top player in WWE, and he's the WWE Champion now, so if he has something to say against Anderson, people are going to listen to him.

And didn't Anderson mock/imitate Triple H or Randy Orton during a promo on Impact once? I think it was the first Impact after Anderson won the title from Hardy, and you could clearly tell he was mocking one of the two. So with all that, I have to believe there's still some bad blood on WWE's end, so I can't see them welcoming Anderson back with open arms.

In the grand scheme of things, if I had to choose in a stay or go dilemma, I believe Anderson is better off in TNA. If they resign him, he'll always have the credibility as a former world champion, and they might throw him in the title picture as a chaser every now and then.

Hollywood Naitch likes this.
  25. IT Factor

IT Factor IT happens!

I have been a fan of Mr. Anderson/ Mr. Kennedy since his debut in WWE. He is a great talker and he is actually a better technician than most pure wrestling fans give him credit for. He's a hell of a worker who is great at getting his storyline over and himself over as well. He always makes his opponent look great and I cannot see him being unemployed for long. Either he will re-sign with TNA or WWE may take him back simply because they are low on real talents. As a fan, I think Anderson is more well suited for TNA because of the whole asshole gimmick and he just seems more natural in that element.