Jeff TRIES to cook things!

A grilled medium ribeye is my steak of choice. Doesn’t need a ton of seasoning either. A little salt and pepper will do.

And brisket is only tough because people tend to over cook the shit out of it. I make one every Christmas and I get it so it melts in your mouth. I typically get a 4 pounder, and I’ll smoke it at 225 or so for around 6 hours. At the very end I’ll pull it out and toss it in the broiler for 30 seconds on either side and it’s consistently exactly where it needs to be.

Since I'm going down this route, apparently cuts of meat are a bit different between the UK and the US. What we consider a T-Bone or Porterhouse isn't the same cut as in the UK.

193563a5b64e50133231e7364572d7cc--cuts-of-beef-beef-cuts-chart.jpg

T-Bones in the US are cut from the Tender Loin and Short loin from ours whereas UK it's just from what they consider the sirloin. Right around the same area but it looks like the US has a bit more precise cutting areas for the T-Bones.

If what I'm reading is right, and I understand it, our T-Bones/Porterhouses have essentially the fillet mignon side and strip steak on the other. In the UK it has the strip steak (or UK sirloin) without the fillet mignon portion. So that might be why T-Bones here are more valued compared to their UK counterpart.

Edit: And some UK cooking sites mention the fillet part of the T-Bone so we can axe that whole part above.

I've done way too much research on this at 12:30 AM.

Yes. T-bone is about 2/3 sirloin and 1/3 filet. That’s why it’s so expensive. 2 of the best cuts there are.

In my experience the chain restaurants in my area, TGI Fridays, Texas Roadhouse, and O'Charleys, tend to fuck up sirloin, but the locally owned restaurants where you have to pay a few dollars more usually do a passable job. Still prefer my dad to do it. I never could pick up the art of grilling a good sirloin.

Not that I have much practice, but I do better with smaller cuts at this point.

Grilling is completely unnecessary, but not a bad option. I can cook a better steak on the stove than I’ve ever done on a grill. It’s also how several restaurants cook theirs. I generally get sirloin for the mix of good quality and good price. I also hate eating fat. It’s texture just grosses me out. Rub it in oil(thin layer shouldn’t be dripping at all). Salt and pepper all sides and let it sit for 30 minutes. Preheat pan, cook 4-5 minutes on each side, depending on thickness. You’ve got an awesome medium rare steak. The 30 minutes sitting seasoned Is key. You can even go a little longer.

And I may get shit for this, but am I the only one that doesn't care for brisket? Like at all? Maybe it's the few times I've had it that it wasn't done well, but I just don't care for it. Like it's too dry for me.

Brisket is a shit cut and that’s the reason it is cooked the way it is. But cooked properly, it can be very good. With bbq, I prefer ribs or pulled pork though.

General statements on this thread: thawing should be done overnight, in the fridge. If you’re really pressed for time, sit it in the sink in cold water. Shorter methods of thawing are all bad for the meat and can even be dangerous for the consumer.

If you need more than salt and pepper on a steak, it’s either a shit cut or a shit cook. As stated previously in the thread, shit cuts often require marinading for respectable taste. I find teriyaki pretty good. The saltiness also helps tenderize the meat.

Some steak is better than others regardless of the cut. Living in a state that has very good cows, I didn’t realize how spoiled I was until I tried steak while in another area of the country.

Oh and any steak cooked beyond medium should be a felony.

Since I'm going down this route, apparently cuts of meat are a bit different between the UK and the US. What we consider a T-Bone or Porterhouse isn't the same cut as in the UK.

193563a5b64e50133231e7364572d7cc--cuts-of-beef-beef-cuts-chart.jpg

T-Bones in the US are cut from the Tender Loin and Short loin from ours whereas UK it's just from what they consider the sirloin. Right around the same area but it looks like the US has a bit more precise cutting areas for the T-Bones.

If what I'm reading is right, and I understand it, our T-Bones/Porterhouses have essentially the fillet mignon side and strip steak on the other. In the UK it has the strip steak (or UK sirloin) without the fillet mignon portion. So that might be why T-Bones here are more valued compared to their UK counterpart.

Edit: And some UK cooking sites mention the fillet part of the T-Bone so we can axe that whole part above.

I've done way too much research on this at 12:30 AM.

Who says you can't learn something new everyday?! Nice one Ty.

For my whole life I was pretty much a well done steak guy. Recently my roommates kids said try medium well and I treated it like Steve Martin in Pink Panther eating a hamburger for the first time. Eyes opened. I was missing out big time. Now I just need to figure out how to cook without ruining everything .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back