Is Vince's Pettiness Costing The WWE in the Public Eye?

Discussion in 'The Wrestling Archives' started by Tenta, May 21, 2009.

1. Tenta

Tenta The Shark Should've Worked in WCW

As I'm sure we all know, Vince McMahon.... Well, he holds grudges... Alot.

This whole debacle regarding the Pepsi Center, for all intents and purposes, is done. The Denver Nuggets have washed their hands of the matter. Yet, Vince simply can't let it go. Rather, quite the opposite... Vince is choosing to let the grudges he holds consume him. I think it's fair to say we're going to see an entire episode of Raw devoted to this whole mess. There's already a "Lakers vs. Nuggets" ten man tag team match, and if you think Vince is done, you surely haven't been watching the WWE in the past few years.

My questions are simple... Why does Vince choose to let his personal life take place inside of the ring? Second, does such an action have an positive influence on the show?

I don't see how Vince invoking his personal life into the program has any positive effect on the program. Yes, certain people like that Vince has an attitude, and that he fights. But at a certain point, Vince has to realize something.... People simply don't care. I sympathize with Vince's plights, but quite frankly, I don't think it makes for good entertainment, unless those plights involve the actual wrestling.

Thoughts? Concerns?

PDepew2181 likes this.
  2. PDepew2181

PDepew2181 Occasional Pre-Show

I'd be inclined to agree with you.

If they actually run through with that crap on Raw, I'm going to change the channel. That's if I even both to watch in the first place, because I've just been very turned off since WrestleMania.

Vince thinks any publicity is good publicity. We know this. What I can't understand is why Vince thinks this way. He's gone through plenty of public ordeals, but he figures that it just makes him stronger because he hasn't been beaten. This will be his eventual downfall. One day, he will finally go too far with something. Or maybe he'll just die first, I don't know. Most people haven't forgotten the Benoit murder/suicide, and WWE's public profile has been pretty pathetic ever since.

Whatever sort of reference they make on Monday will be totally and completely pathetic. But Vince doesn't care.

3. rolltide_pisco

rolltide_pisco Occasional Pre-Show

This whole thing has been completely blown out of proportion. If Vince is on national television bashing the Nuggets and holding up Lakers jersey, what do u think the fans are gonna be like when they come back to Denver? Or does the Pepsi Center even allow WWE to come back at all?

Vince has no competition and his ratings are sinking faster than The Titanic and he'll do anything cheap and sleezy to get any interest from people to watch his programming. I hate the NBA. I think it's one of the most boring sports on television. But compared to what WWE has, I enjoy at least watching LeBron James play. I could care less what happens this Monday. All that happens is he loses more credibility and no one really except 10 year olds tune in.

Scott Free likes this.
  4. ThePeoplesChampion

ThePeoplesChampion Getting Noticed By Management

i agree totally here....all he's doing is making an ass out himself....i mean the sportscenter guys are making fun it....u think that the sports person is going to watch now after sportscenter bashed in....and well im watching the game and during commercials flipping to raw.....its a game four and as the nuggets have won today vince should of shut up and just moved i mean he's fighting america's number 2/3 sports....NFL first tie wit baseball and basketball....ur just not going to compete with that....should of learned his lesson with pushing the NFL wit XFL...total flop.....so in the end vince sayin this pushin and pushin the issue fails him

5. TwistofRKO

TwistofRKO The Legend Killer himself

I'm not so sure. You raise good points, I won't really argue with them. At the same token his main calling right now is to get more people interested in watching the WWE right now, and this gave him TONS of ESPN exposure as well as all over other sports media outlets. Whether or not he looks like a jerk he accomplished his task. Most people who only slightly know him probably already thought of him that way anyways.

6. MrMcCool

MrMcCool Dark Match Winner

If fans were going to watch, and wont now that sportscenter bashed him, then they are bigger marks then the Internet Wrestling Fans!!!! Have a mind of your own.

Any publicity IS good publicity, and Controversy Creates Cash!!!!

Vince is usually on the negative end of the publicity, this time is in the right, Nuggets are wrong, he has every right to ride it out. Guess what, if no settlement was reached yet that satisfied Vince, the Nuggets havent moved on because a lawsuit is coming.

Hes not making an ass of himself, hes playing it up for the cameras, think a little bit people. Hes mentioned every single day on sportscenter, and we all talk about it online, and a lot of people will watch RAW to see what he does.

Hes not wrong, so as bad as all you Vince haters want to make this out so he looks bad and bury him, you dont stand a chance, and are making yourselves look stupid.

When its all said and done, after a settlement is agreed to, which it might be already, we dont know, Vince wins!!!! If Kroenke pays out a dime, Vince wins! Deal with it guys.

7. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

Well, congratulations, you're officially MARKS! I mean, Vince has EVERY right to hold a grudge with the Nuggets brass for what took place. It was poor management on their part to book an event, then go, 'Whoops, sorry...we need that place for our NBA team. Although you booked the place last August, fuck you anyway.'

So as far as I'm concerned, the public eye knows about the WWE and that's all that matters to Vince. Whether it's petty or in a positive spin, ANY publicity is better than the kind they've had with Benoit. Vince seen this and probably ran to WWE's Public Relations Department to get this on ESPN and the sports airwaves.

Vince isn't petty. He's a businessman and a promoter. And is still THE best promoter anywhere.

You guys bought into it...hook, line, and sinker. lulz.

Mr X and Vee Dub Represent like this.
  8. Razor

Razor crafts entire Worlds out of Words

^^^This. The Lariat and I differ on a few things, and those are a rarity. We once again agree on this one.

Do you guys believe Vince's interview on ESPN was legit? It was an obvious wrestling promo. Everything he did screamed a classic wrestling promo. I'm surprised Coachman didn't call him out on it right then and there.

And Vince has every right to do so. He was fucked out of his stadium that he booked a year ahead of time because the stadium said "Oh shit, we've actually made it to the playoffs. Fuck." It's the stadium's own fault they didn't write in a clause that they can kick Vince out if there happens to be a playoff game on the date he booked. And Vince is milking their mistake for all the publicity he can get out of it.

But for the actual thread topic, I believe Vince's real life has every place in the WWE if it pertains to the WWE. If Linda cheats on the man, I don't need a year long storyline on that. If Vince is fucked out of his venue that he booked a year in advance? Go right on ahead Vince, full steam ahead.

I'm not saying what he's doing will be good. "Calling out" Kroenke will just be another annoying skit on par with the Obama/Clinton and Trump/O'Donnell matches. But it's his damn company. If he keeps his fans, and I have a feeling he knows how to do just that, let him do what he wants.

Is it good for the WWE? If it gets them any publicity that doesn't have the words "Steroids", "Young Child Dies Trying to Replicate Wrestling Move", or "Wrestler Died (any age younger than 50)" he's doing pretty damn good.

9. kurtisraw07

kurtisraw07 Kennedy Mark

Vince is actually kissing ESPN's ass. I mean he sent Mike and Mike tag belt replicas presumably because they promoted his cause on their show. However he also did it for publicity. I don't really feel sorry for Vince because he promotes a shitty product and doesn't care. However I do hate the fact that ESPN shits on wrestling and even mocked WWE despite WWE kissing their ass. I bet if this was 1999 ESPN would be begging WWE for an interview. This just goes to show you that Batista and Cena just suck. Rock and Austin would have been given their own dressing rooms at ESPN headquarters and would have been invited to be regulars on ESPN's 1st and 10 segment to debate Skip Baliss.

10. tj177mmi

tj177mmi Dark Match Winner

This is absolutely correct. Vince could have said "ok, we'll take it on Sunday night without making a stink", but what fans do they get? What extra promotion do they receive? NONE. I have never heard WWE in the national media for something other than bad things, like Benoit, Guerrero, Owen Hart, steroids. For this, they aren't even the bad guy. Hell, ESPN's promotion of WWE this week and Vince's claims what he will do may turn some viewers over to WWE just to see what he will do.

11. ThAwRe$tLiNgGaWd

ThAwRe$tLiNgGaWd Will Work for Green Rep!

I understand getting his promotion into the mainstream spotlight and all, but didn't WWE just sign a endorsement deal with Pepsi?.. I know that they have nothing to do with anything in the matter but that can't make them look good to their own sponsor, right?!

12. robbo316

robbo316 Pre-Show Stalwart

If I was Vince, I'd say I was never taking WWE back to Denver ever again. I don't care what anyone says, the WWE Carnival rolling into town brings a lot of money, think about it, the hotels, the bars, restaurants, the money the arenas get. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't ever go back to Denver. "That'll Fuck 'em"

13. Total Impact

Total Impact A Poster Name Total Impact

people it's called free promotion for the WWE, why not suck the tits of this news for all that it's worth. I like hearing about the WWE in the news outside of wrestling website as it means that the wwe is making real news. I think this is Vince trying to get the WWE more profile, hell they are getting better buzz for Raw this monday than what they got for Wrestlemania 25 this year.

14. gers09

gers09 follower the Wyatt family

i think vince sees the wwe as his life and thats why he uses personal life in the ring

does it have a positve influenece well yes and no really depnds on what it is ie. Pepsi Center no it doesnt this is just vince showin off and being bitter athough i do see where he is comin from, the year after eddie died and they used it in story hell no that really put me off wwe for while thouight that they used his death for a year was sick sorry but it way i feel your welcome to disagree. the buyin of wcw i think they did that well while i dont think he should of bought wcw wwe was at his best when goin toe to toe with wcw but i do think it work a bit might of brought in some die hard wcw fans who never watched a wwe show

15. The_Don_of_WWE

The_Don_of_WWE Dark Match Winner

After reading the stuff Vince been saying about the situation, I don't blame him not one bit. As. Some one has pointed out. Vince is doing what he see fit's to meet his obligagtion(s) for the USA network. So I don't think it is costing him or the company for moving Smackdown and ECW to L.A. out of spite. Now the Denver fans are the ones who are and should suffer because they should of stuck up for WWE or protest the event. Seeing as WWE is bigger than the NBA. More people know who Hulk Hogan is than Kobe Bryant. And seeing as I live in New York, they should of toke MSG but its like Vince to get underneith people who he dislikes skin and move it to the opponents team home and genarate them money and believe me, WWE pumps money anywhere they go. Good for you Vinnie Mac

16. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

This is a publicity stunt and Vince has carried it off beautifully. If Vince is going to get fucked over after he booked the arena first, there's plenty of publicity to be had. He's in the right, after all. He should therefore benefit and not come out worse because of someone else's problems.

He's milking it for all it's worth. OK, so it may be a little overkill and it's lacking subtlety, but it's still a damn well executed publicity stunt. I might actually watch Raw.

17. Black Snow

Black Snow Getting Noticed By Management

I do agree that Vince is a petty man that ends up making his company look bad because of his grudges.

That being said, this Denver Nuggets scenario is NOT an example of said pettiness. Vince looks good right now. Unless you're a WWE fan from Denver who had plans on attending RAW you shouldn't have a reason to complain. Vince was well within his legal right to have the building. Sure, a normal person would understand the problem and at the most maybe ask the Nuggets for another date or to refund the fans. But this is Vince we're talking about. It was smart business to make a stink about it. In reality Vince probably doesn't even care. But on camera of course he's going to pitch a fit. He's in the right for once! Of course he'll own the moment. When the show is in LA he's going to run down Denver because the live fans will eat it up with a spoon and beg for more.

As far as examples of Vince being a petty man? I'd cite things like the Bob Costas debacle or the times he begged for ratings/press with HLA and the Billy and Chuck gay wedding. How about the so-called Rosie vs. Trump match? The $1 million giveaway? Vince does many stupid things. This Nuggets situation isn't one of them.

18. Smooth Sexual Chocolate

Smooth Sexual Chocolate Grapefruits of Wrath

Vince is the MAN, he got screwed out of an arena that had been booked just short of a year in advance, you think Vince is just going to bend over and take it?? Please, this is a fucking wet dream for Vince, and he has taken full advantage of it.

I see people defending the NBA, saying there legit, and WWE dose not have the right because its the playoffs, what a load of shit. It dose not matter who you are or what the event is, if you pay to reserve something, than it becomes a legal matter, It dosent matter if its Vince holding an arena for raw, or a couple renting out a church for a wedding, or a little 13 year old Jew trying to have a Bar Mitzvah, you rent it, its yours. and if you get screwed you have every right to be pissed off, and to be honest Denver is lucky that Vince didn't decide to take legal action.

All in all Vince has taken a shitty situation, and turned it to a masterful advertising campaign, Raw rating will be up this week, and the way I see it Vince comes out way on top. I raise my Beer high in the air, in honor of the Great Vincent Kennedy McMahon!

19. Blade

Blade "Original Blade"

Well on the one hand, Vince kinda has to play out so much of his personal life in WWE because the WWE is his life and all he knows. Yes he's taking this whole thing too far, but all he seems to know, despite it being kayfabe, is 'keep your grudges going until you get in the ring'. If that's true, it could be extremely sad. But anyone could see how it's true, the man was raised on wrestling, made his Legacy in wrestling and has devoted his entire life to wrestling. WWE is all he's got so if something gets in the way of that or tries to make it look bad, he's got to counter that. Although it always backfires and makes the WWE look even worse, but you know what I mean.

On the other hand though, how do we know Vince isn't playing us and all of the world, including the American media, like fiddles?
    Obviously, Vince didn't know that the nuggets would get to the final, that part obviously wasn't planned. But Vince decided to make a big deal over it, how he booked the venue first, how the coach should've had more faith in the team or whatever.
    He knew people would pick this up. He knew him fighting a personal battle over something related to one of the biggest basketball games of the year would get noticed.
    Publicity creates ratings. Controversy creates cash.
    For all we know,Vince is laughing his ass off right now about how people genuinely think he'd care so much about the use of a venue, all the while thinking about the money he'll make from the small boost the ratings will see this Monday.

20. NOLUBEZ

NOLUBEZ The God of Fuck

Agree 100%....and besides say you're buy a house, everythings signed and what not but then the realtor calls a week before you move in and says sorry my friends need a place to live so you can't have the house don't you think that aside from suing the shit outta them you would badmouth the the fuckout of the realtor to everyone that you possibly could i'm sure 99% of the people on this site would.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% with Lariat & Razorback....and besides say you're buy a house, everythings signed and what not but then the realtor calls a week before you move in and says sorry my friends need a place to live so you can't have the house don't you think that aside from suing the shit outta them you would badmouth the the fuckout of the realtor to everyone that you possibly could i'm sure 99% of the people on this site would.

21. njchaingang

njchaingang Dark Match Jobber

to be perfectly honest... the public view of the company has and always will be in the crapper. no one feels it is a legit business because its scripted and has had problems in the past. this only adds fuel to the fire though for the public. but this is actually pretty funny. an owner doesnt even think his team will make it and all after its all over they are in the playoffs. so vince does have a legit point to be pissed off.

22. Spjadoe05

Spjadoe05 Dark Match Winner

This is as someone said a dream come true for vince. but this isn't vince putting his personal life into the WWE it had nothing to do with vince as a person it had to do with business so he is 100% right to milk this for all it is worth. Maybe their have been times where he used his personal life in the past, but anything that has to do with WWE isn't his personal life. also i don't think their will be any type of legal action because if i'm not mistaken vince moving smackdown to the staples center as well is illegal to and since both parties broke contract i am (almost) positive this won't see court.

23. Father:_Polley

Father:_Polley Fun's my Chinese neighbour's name

Bring it down to a lower level here. You're organising an event. You book a sports hall to hold it in a year in advance, even going so far as to pay a deposit for the right. When you get nearer, the owners call you and go 'No, sorry but we've decided we need that hall so you can't have it'. Would you not tell everyone about the poor service? Course you would. It just happens Vince has a bigger audience to tell.

Ok, sure they screwed Vince over by kicking him out when, in all fairness, a paid booking is a binding arrangement. The only way I can see Kroenke getting out of it is if he put it in the contract that the arrangement could be revoked with notice owing to it being needed for the NBA playoffs.

And if Vince sues... as a proud Manchester United fan, I won't be sad to see Arsenal's 28% shareholder lose money...

24. psykohurricane

psykohurricane Championship Contender

Everytime somebody is trying to screw with Vince Mcmahon, he reacts the same way, makes jokes cut stupid promos on mainstreams media and then makes a mockery of the whole event and everytime this happen, people change channels and the ratings drops. So Vince McMahon as a person and buisnessman as always been a joke in the public eye. Let'S face it, outside of wrestling what as he ever done that actually succeded. So i doesn't care about his own image because he know how's he's perceive by mainstream media so it doesn'T hurt him. But in his warp mind he thinks that all this publicity will help the WWE in the long run and history thought us something is that it'S never the case.

So i don'T think that Vince's pettiness will hurt The WWE in the public eye because it's reputation is already way down, even the circus got a better reputation then the WWE but having said that, it my hurt the WWE as far as The WWE fans are concern. The WWE have already lost alot of fans and maybe 50% of them already said the RAW sucked so pulling a stunt like the one Vince one to do on monday might alienate some of the fans, especially does in Denver, that already think that Raw doesn'T make sense and is the most boring show out there. So that were i think Vince' pettiness will cost The WWE, with the fans.

25. rko2779

rko2779 Dark Match Jobber

I think Vince's pettiness is getting in the way of everything wwe does these days. He has yet to realize that it's not 1980 any more. You can't tell the people what they like, the wwe was and always will be Vince's toy. And if he don't get his way he'll take his ball and go home. This proves it. He could have had a sunday taping and let it go at that, but know he has to be the at the center telling every one how great he is and how wrong every one is, and how he was wronged. I say get over it, get over yourself and for god sakes get out of the wrestling business, your past is and no one cares about you any more.

Ambiguous Turd likes this.