Is THE SCRIPT the problem?

Discussion in 'The Wrestling Archives' started by lil steroid meat, Dec 25, 2015.

1. lil steroid meat

lil steroid meat Unregistered User

I've noticed the problem with Reigns is the fact that his promos are obviously and rigidly scripted and rehearsed.

They keep feeding him these corny ass 80's action movie lines to the point where it almost looks like a wrestling parody that the crowd is popping to these cheesy ass stupid lines.

[YOUTUBE]T8PRuIbJYKM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]SRFWb4Ia3r0[/YOUTUBE]

It's like the wrestling equivalent to

[YOUTUBE]MhHYjKjB_Sc[/YOUTUBE]

If it were up to me, promos for the ENTIRE WWE would be concocted by the writers giving the guys bulletpoints and content restrictions ("Keep it PG") and a time to fill. But especially for Reigns who they've bet the house on, wouldn't it make for better television and less cringey promos if they just let him go out there and flow and be himself?

The guys who don't want to be bothered to come up with their own script could request one, but overall, wouldn't it make for better promos if people were allowed to do their own thing?

The few guys they do let go out there and flow/come up with their own promos (Bray Wyatt, The New Day) are very successful and make for good television, so why not make it the standard for the entire company?

2. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

Yes! I have said here many times and i say it here again! If You give someone bullet points and let him say it as he wants to, It would be way much better..... You want examples? See below!
    1. Bray Wyatt
    2. Kevin Owens
    3. The New Day
    4. Seth Rollins
    I would too suggest it for being the standard for the entire company but WWE might think its too much freedom for all guys out there! and they must free Roman Reigns from scripted promos including "Tatertots" which he repeated again at Tribute To The Troops for Sheamus! :shrug:
    If you want him as the top babyface, free him from bondages!

3. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

Sure, but this idea has been beaten to death and thrown into the river with a cinderblock tied to its leg. For years and years people have begged WWE to cut, or at least cut back, on the amount of scripted crap in their shows, and for years and years people have been ignored. WWE has it in their minds, that a scripted promo is much more "sports entertainment" than the bullet point system. This way they can literally get the wrestlers to say what THEY want them to say and portray them as THEY want them to be portrayed. Of course that's a huge problem, as it's just not natural. These guys are not actors, and if you give them a script and tell them to go act, 9/10 of them are going to stink up the joint.

I honestly think the WWE knows that the bullet point system works a lot better than a script. However, it doesn't allow them to completely control the product and that's what they want. Until they're forced to change it up for some reason, it will likely remain the same.

4. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

Like others have said and will say, yes that idea is great, but it will never happen. Vince and Co. are too much of a bunch of control freaks that I believe they don't really realize the damage that's being done. No one remembers the good promo's, they just remember the idiotic ones, and unfortunately that will stay with whatever wrestler has the misfortune to have to say it.

Reigns has never been as comfortable on the mic has the other Shield members Rollins and Ambrose are. He is no Bray Wyatt, Chris Jericho, Austin, Rock or Xavier Woods. Too bad they can't see that and give him the worst things to say. Credit to him for going out and doing it though, and not saying "Screw this I'm gonna say what I want".

The dialogue they give him doesn't really fit the character, therefore it looks a bit stupid. Until he either refuses to say it, or they realize what they are doing it will remain the same, unfortunately. He seems to be the only person they do that too though. Daniel Bryan isn't that great on the mic, and you don't hear him having to say "tator tots" or "sufferin sucotash". He pretty much comes out and just says what he has to say, while it's not that memorable at least it doesn't sound ridiculous.

It's funny that New Day can get away with talking about unicorns, and unicorn magic, and we accept it and even like it. Can you imagine if they gave that script to Reigns, he would be roasted alive for it. New Day can get away with it though, it's sort of expected from them, not from someone like Reigns. Different characters, different expectations.

BestSportsEntertainer likes this.
  5. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

As has been alluded to, this is something that's been discussed ad nauseum. Vince is a control freak, always was really, but it's only gotten worse over the past 10 years or so and it's unlikely to change until he's no longer the final creative voice.

Again, this is another example of a comparison between the main roster and NXT. In NXT, the wrestlers' promos aren't scripted; they're given bulletpoints to touch on and that's it. The result is a much smoother, more natural, more comfortable performance on the mic in the vast majority of cases.

In Roman Reigns' case, part of the problem seems to be that Reigns just isn't all that good on the mic to begin with. He's fine in short bursts and when he's in a more serious frame of mind, still not spectacular but he has a smoother delivery. A lot of people used to groan with near revulsion when John Cena was trying to be all cutesy on the mic and if he couldn't get away with it, being much more charismatic and generally more comfortable working the mic than Reigns, then Reigns doesn't have much of a chance apart from the ladies in the audience who want to bear his children.

6. J.J.

J.J. Mid-Card Championship Winner

Regardless of how scripted the promos are you still have to have a level of emotion in it. You stand in the ring and unmoved and unable to sell your character or match then it doesn't matter how scripted it is - it's going to sound forced. You would think with the countless amount of material the WWE has from over the years many of these guys would study the art of selling a story. Piper, Flair, Rhodes, Foley, Austin, Rock, Hogan, Heyman to name a few.

I admit as an ADULT a lot of the lines are corny. I feel that way when I look back at The Rock's promos. But then I realize it doesn't amuse me now. Puts into perspective the target age it's geared at. These guys may have the look and many are WWE manufactures but despite good looks, muscled physiqued and a looker for the female fan it does not guarantee they're good mic workers.

7. lil steroid meat

lil steroid meat Unregistered User

The New Day says a lot of corny stupid shit too. I personally don't really find them funny.

But at least that's really them and it flows because it doesn't seem like they're following a rigid script.

8. DirtyD79

DirtyD79 Championship Contender

I think that's a large art of the problem with promos in general. It's hard to keep promos interesting doing 20 minutes every single week. Really what can you say in 20 minutes this week that you didn't last week? It shouldn't be about quantity but quality. Another part of the problem is the wrtiers think everything needs to be funny. Except guys like Roman Reigns aren't about being funny. Roman Reigns is supposed to be a badass shitkicker not making wisecracks or waxing philosophical. Leave the comedy to people like The New Day and Chris Jericho.

Mitch Henessey likes this.
  9. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

I think they are hilarious and a breath of fresh air. When everyone else is taking so so seriously here they come with their unicorn horns and trombone. Xavier Woods doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would follow a rigid script, neither does Wyatt, Cena or Jericho. And there is no way you can convince me that the same people who write for Wyatt, write for Reigns.

The ones who are naturals on the mic, probably get bullet points and most of what they say is in their own words. Reigns doesn't fall into that category. He is stiff and stilted when he is standing there and you can almost hear the gears turning. Doubt he will ever be natural looking on the mic, some people just can't do it. That's not a fault, it's just a fact. Public speaking is one of the biggest fears in the world today. And it's something that a lot of people can't get over.

10. Azane

Azane Mid-Card Championship Winner

The problem with Reigns is that he can't talk, and he's being pushed because of his lineage and his look, way ahead of his wrestling talent or microphone skills.

He LITERALLY acts like a kid in a highschool play looking behind the curtain for his next lines.

The script does indeed make a lot of characters rigid and boring, but as others have alluded to, the legendary workers were all being fed some lines, but got to add their own spin to it.

11. d_henderson1810

d_henderson1810 Mid-Card Championship Winner

Funny how people say that Roman Reigns isn't a star because he doesn't cut convincing promos, considering that some of the following people were huge stars, and yet were never known for cutting memorable promos:-

-Kane, when he was originally in WWE. Yet, when he teamed with X-Pac, he got the loudest pops, despite never uttering a word. A simple tilt of the head conveyed the right emotion.

-The Undertaker initially didn't speak. Paul Heyman spoke for this mysterious man who was dressed as a mortician. It wasn't until later that Taker started to speak, but he has over the first night he came into WWE and uttered a word.

-Bret "Hitman" Hart is a Legend and five time WWE Champion, who was never known for his stellar mike skills.

-Chris Benoit won the World Title, and yet never cut a memorable promo. Yet people popped when he won the World Title at WMXX.

-Dolph Ziggler doesn't say anything memorable, yet is cheered. Ditto with Cesaro.

-Andre The Giant, one of the biggest Legends, ever, hardly ever spoke, and when he did, it was in a very thick French accent.

-Brock Lesnar doesn't cut promos. No, he has Paul Heyman do it for him.

-Rob Van Dam was huge. Yet he rarely cut promos, and when he did, he sounded like he was in a marajuana haze.

I think Roman Reigns gets booed because he is Vince's chosen one now, and that is a no-no in the eyes of the fans. People used to say that Cena couldn't cut a promo either when he was the top guy.

12. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

I agree that someone cant be a star because of only mic skills... Maybe he gets booed because of the reason you stated.... But did you see one thing? Lets evaluate with my opinion
    1. Kane has a monster gimmick so he got over without speaking because monsters are beating not talking right?
    2. Undertaker had an unique Phenom gimmick
    3. Hitman was talented in-ring worker
    4. Chris Benoit was one of the best technical workers
    5. Dolph Ziggler made his fanbase with good matches... Cesaro-Ultra talented in-ring worker
    6. Andre The Giant- See Kane
    7. Brock Lesnar- Beast gimmick and strong booking
    8. Rob Van Dam- High Flying skills made him over

So now i gave a reason for everyone you stated to get over! Reigns had powerhouse of The Shield gimmick who remained silent and was very over too... When Shield broke up in June, He started competing as singles competitor.... From June to January, in almost 8 months, what he accomplished was win over Randy Orton at Summerslam and Several wins against Big Show! So the problem was that he did nothing for making his Royal Rumble win credible! Thats why i turned on him! I dont know about other people but i think it was a rocket push too soon for Reigns.... I neither cheer him nor boo him.... I cheered for him only at Wrestlemania, TLC post match assault and TLC Fallout Raw.... I am just telling where he went wrong for me! I am not bashing the guy and i still like him.... No need for him to speak if he has to speak things like tatertots! He can get over without mic-skills too! See Cesaro!

Stone Cold Tea likes this.
  13. d_henderson1810

d_henderson1810 Mid-Card Championship Winner

If in-ring work was enough to get you over, then how come someone like Shelton Benjamin, who was an awesome in-ring worker, or a flashy, high-flying guy like John Morrison, couldn't get over with fans? These guys were every bit as good as Cesaro and Ziggler, yet didn't get 1/10th the love they do.

Also, why isn't Roman over when he looks like a monster, and dominates, like Kane, Undertaker and Andre did?

One reason. The internet. All the people I listed in my initial post had established themselves before the internet and wrestling sites, which has done more to sour people to wrestling than anything, couldn't be scrutinized or hated on by people behind computers who think they know more about the business than those who run it, and claim to love it, but every line is a hate-filled rant. Whereas Shelton, Morrison and Roman started out in the social media age, so we judged from day one.

It's like what I have said in the past. If Roman had got pushed in the 80's, he would have been like Hogan. Hulk Hogan would never have got over today with his act in the 2000's, and people like Cena and Roman would have been beloved in the Rock N' Wrestling Era, where people just enjoyed wrestling, and didn't take every result they didn't like as a personal insult.

The wrestling fans have changed, so take responsibility for that and admit that if you don't like something about wrestling, than maybe you are the one with the problem, not the product.

The internet and Twitter (gee, I hate Twitter, and am glad that I am not on it) have done more to ruin Roman's push than anything else, as we have the haters dictating wrestling now.

J.J. likes this.
  14. J.J.

J.J. Mid-Card Championship Winner

I couldn't agree more with d_henderson1810.

It's tough to say if Hogan or Andre would've got over had they been a product of today.

I've pointed this out - you cannot build Reigns as a guy to take over as that guy that is atop of the company and keep him quiet. In kayfabe all those guys listed above were never been considered the face of the company. They were guys that rounded out the main event in their respective times.

Only thing I wouldn't change a thing with Reigns - maybe allow him more freedom with his promos so that it doesn't seem so forced. He has the superstar look and possess the intensity when he works in the ring. He can only get better.

People for years have been saying WWE needs a new star to take over Cena's position. Obviously it was going to be one of their homegrown product. Did anyone really think Cesaro, Daniel Bryan or a KO would be in that position?

15. The Dark Warlords

The Dark Warlords The Dark Warlords

In my mind the free flow way is best for business. It w=ill allow the talents to actually come across as more authentic and believable. They would be able to connect with BOTH arena and television viewers. To me, even the best promo people have to feel a bit held back because of the script.

Bullet points and free flow are the best way to go with this.

ShinChan likes this.
  16. THTRobtaylor

THTRobtaylor Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist

There is another angle to how badly Reigns comes across... they are so keen to replace Bryan and Punk as the "everyman avatars" in the minds of the fans and viewers and they so desperately want Reigns to be that guy that their scripting of him makes it blatantly obvious what they are doing.

Reigns COULD have been a naturalistic face, a good bloke like Bryan who could relate to people like Punk... so could Ambrose... but they wanted Reigns to be THE GUY... and we don't need A GUY... we need what happened in 1998-2001, a succession of guys get to the top using their natural personas... Austin was himself, Rock was himself, Foley, Jericho, Triple H and Angle... All had an element of scripting but they were allowed to get there "on their own", not micromanaged at every step of their push.

Look how Batista never quite worked, exact same thing - one of the most natural guys on the mic they every had... when he was able to, he could just talk and people would enjoy listening to him.... but they had to write his words for him and it felt stilted... when he came back it was borderline criminal that they had a guy who was now a big time actor, had completed Guardians (so he'd worked with Oscar winners and improv style comedians like Pratt, Cooper, Serafanowiz and John C. Reilly FFS) and he was being fed garbage to say... Vince thought the movie would tank and it showed in how they treated him.

It's ABSOLUTELY too late for Reigns now, but not Ambrose or any of the others... bullet points aren't "the way" necesarrily, but trusting talents is a big part... if it comes to it, get Regal back up as the main producer... fire Kevin Dunn's lazy ass...