Is It Wrong For Young People To Experiment With Drugs?

On a side note, Why do young people do drugs? Mainly peer pressure or friends doing it and a desire to fit in with them would be my guess. But if you need to do that to fit in with friends then they arent really friends at all.
I don't know a single person who took drugs because ALL THE COOL KIDS ARE DOING IT. That's a myth. Maybe it was true back in the 70's/80's, but kids really aren't that fascinated by drugs anymore, it's not 'cool' to be a pot-head, a coke-freak, or anything else. Everyone I know that has taken drugs, it is because they like the drug or want to try the drug and see what it's like.

What begins that fascination though with wanting to try it and see what its like?
What made you want to try a cookie the first time you saw one?

I read that mushrooms heightened your senses, expanded your mind, and most importantly was just a really fun time, so I tried them, and I was not disappointed in any of those aspects.

I don't know a single person who took drugs because ALL THE COOL KIDS ARE DOING IT. That's a myth.

I agree its a Myth because its incorrect to think drugs are cool. But its not incorrect to think the majority of kids, teenagers and such get into that type of thing because of peer-pressure and those around them are doing it.

I'll use pot as a reference. I have friends who smoke it and they've tried getting me to try it on a couple of occasions. Now typically every friend I have understands they get one chance to be completely stupid in asking me that question. (do you wanna try it) After that, when they fail to realize my answer will always and forever more be NO.. they suddenly get disowned by me.

At any rate, the point of that is that I will be friends with anyone who does that sort-of thing, yet I will not take part in it. And if someone out there is stupid enough to try and run me down for not taking part in it, I will 'un-friend' them. Furthermore, thats how a lot of people get introduced to drugs.. through friends.

Maybe it was true back in the 70's/80's, but kids really aren't that fascinated by drugs anymore, it's not 'cool' to be a pot-head, a coke-freak, or anything else. Everyone I know that has taken drugs, it is because they like the drug or want to try the drug and see what it's like.

You don't just wake up one day and think Hmm, I wonder what Meth is like. I think I'll have a try. (or any other drug) No, you get introduced to it by someone who does it - or you see something regarding it, that makes it seem interesting and it makes you think you should try to see what all the hype is about.

When it comes to drugs, you simply do not suddenly come to the realization that you want to try something out of the blue. You see focus on it, hype surrounding it, or friends doing it.

What made you want to try a cookie the first time you saw one?

Mass marketing. As a little child you're lead to believe its delicious, wholesome and amazing. For all you know, its the end-all, be-all to the holy grail of foods at age 3.

You see everyone around you enjoying them. You have no idea what they are, but come to the sudden thought you MUST have one. Even as an adult, you see tons of advertisements for them. Commercials and such. They lead you to believe they're delicious, and the best of their kind.

I thought you were trying to debate how drugs aren't used as a peer-pressure thing? A cookie as the alternative was a bad example to use.

I read that mushrooms heightened your senses, expanded your mind, and most importantly was just a really fun time, so I tried them, and I was not disappointed in any of those aspects.

The key in all of this was that you read into it being as such. Print is her-say, its a story passed on by someone and molded, added to, and manipulated into something much greater to format how they want you to see it. Look at the Bible, for example. Tons of people follow God just based on what words from a Bible read..

You read something was positive, so you allowed peer-pressure to decide for you that you should try them. You didn't just wake up and come to the conclusion, you allowed printed words, by mortal man, placed together to form a positive outlook to make your decision for you.

And of all things even taking what you said yourself. You read it "heightened your senses, expanded your mind, and most importantly was just a really fun time."

Those don't sound like facts, so much more than opinions placed together in a way to make the product sell. Who wouldn't want to "expand their minds?" Saying that leads you to believe you could become smarter in trying them. Throwing out the term "most importantly" shows that they want you to believe out of everything, positive or negative, the following description is the best of them all. And that very following description was "a really fun time". How is this a fact based point? Its not. Its an opinionated comment. Which, once again, forces you to side with trying it, as opposed to thinking for yourself what you should do.

You don't just wake up one day and think Hmm, I wonder what Meth is like. I think I'll have a try. (or any other drug) No, you get introduced to it by someone who does it - or you see something regarding it, that makes it seem interesting and it makes you think you should try to see what all the hype is about.
Well, no shit. That is true of anything. Nobody just wakes up and decides to take a large bouncy ball, paint it orange with black stripes, and then throw it in a hoop ten feet above the ground. :dunno:

I thought you were trying to debate how drugs aren't used as a peer-pressure thing? A cookie as the alternative was a bad example to use.
I don't know man, your life is obviously different then mine. I wanted a cookie the first time I saw one, not the first time someone told me how great they are.

The key in all of this was that you read into it being as such. Print is her-say, its a story passed on by someone and molded, added to, and manipulated into something much greater to format how they want you to see it. Look at the Bible, for example. Tons of people follow God just based on what words from a Bible read..
Okay...

You read something was positive, so you allowed peer-pressure to decide for you that you should try them. You didn't just wake up and come to the conclusion, you allowed printed words, by mortal man, placed together to form a positive outlook to make your decision for you.
So if you read a positive review of a movie, and decide to try out the movie, you succumbed to peer-pressure?

I think you and I have a different understanding of what peer-pressure means. To you, peer-pressure is any time someone introduces you to something new, and you try it. To me, peer-pressure involves, you know, pressure.

And of all things even taking what you said yourself. You read it "heightened your senses, expanded your mind, and most importantly was just a really fun time."
Right, and that is exactly what happened, which is why I still take them every once in a blue moon without any negative consequences. :dunno:

Why would you want to experiment with drugs?

I do believe that is how someone gets addicted to the drugs. They will start experimenting and then they can not stop doing it. So to answer the question, yes I do think it’s wrong to experiment. It’s like Smoking, people try it and then next thing you know they are going to the gas stations to buy themselves some cigarettes.

IIt really depends on the drug of choice. If I found out my son tried out pot, I probably would'nt care as much if say, I caught him with something that can really harm him. Experimenting with drugs like Cocaine and Meth is not alright in my book. Experimenting with harmless drugs, sure why not.

I guess it depends how young. I have had friend that experimented with every drug in the book when they were younger, but got straightened out when they were adults. I guess you could say it is better for young people to experiment when they are teenagers to get it out of their system until they are more mature when they are adults. Basically if you experiment with the more hardcore drugs when you are younger without knowing what you are doing then it will more then likely end up bad for you.

If some teens want to experiment with alcohol or marijuana then I don't see the problem if it is a safe environment.

Yes i would say its very wrong because it will more then likely lead to trying more dangerous drugs and addictions. Their is no such thing as a good or safe drug because even if your taking something that isn't as deadly as another drug you will begin to associate with people who use the heavier drugs and you will be more likely to be around them and try them. Its a start of a downward spiral when you try any of the stuff especially if you easily get hooked on things.

I think if you know what drugs are really bad and what drugs aren't that bad, you can go ahead and experiment, but if you plan on experimenting with something as addicting as heroin, cocaine, or meth than don't do it. Weed is fine by me, along with acid and mushrooms, but I don't do them. If you want to try it, go ahead, as long as you don't do enough to OD. I experimented with weed, acid, shrooms, and alcohol, and I drink sometimes, but I don't do any other drugs. I think telling yourself you won't become addicted isn't enough, and you should avoid addictive drugs at all costs. Most drugs are addictive, and most can lead to heavier drugs, so if you are going to experiment, you need to be very careful.

Taking a different direction here - I don't see any logical point in experimenting with drugs simply to experience more out of life. It doesn't make sense. Doing any kind of drug, regardless of how harmful it is, serves no purpose that can't be served by other, less harmful means.

It's not to say that I find something wrong with the occasional hash brownie that has no affect on your health whatsoever and having a bit of fun, but shit like heroin? Meth? Cocaine? I don't get why someone would even get started on that shit, let alone doing it to the point where they would get addicted.

Doing drugs to settle yourself down, or to have fun is entirely too risky when there are much better ways to accomplish these goals that are better for your health, and all doesn't-make-you-go-to-jail-y.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back