Is ESPN First Take A Good Sports Show?

SSJPhenom

The Phenom of WZ
I watch First Take religiously. I like that you can get sports news along with differing opinions in a debate format. I also like the new addition of Max. He, unlike Skip Bayless, doesn't come across with a stuck up, this is what I think no matter what, attitude. For example, Skip's opinions of LeBron James used to just eat me up. I used to fantasize about being on the show just so I could yell at Skip. Don't get me wrong, though, Stephen A can send you up a wall too. I hate how everytime Stephen A starts to talk about somebody he has to add in, "I've known this guy for many years or he is a friend of mine or he and I go way back". He says that about 5 times a show. I do, however, like that Stephen A is unapologetic in his attitudes and if he happens to be wrong he'll be the first to say he's wrong.

The reason for this thread, though, is because I watch a lot of First Take videos on YouTube because I work a lot and am never home to catch it live. Plus, there's no reason to DVR it when I can catch up on it during my breaks. Anyways, I always see on YouTube that people can't stand the show. They think it's scripted or they don't like Stephen A. They think the people on the show don't have any idea what they're talking about or what have you. So I thought that I'd make this thread to ask some of you sports fans; is First Take a good show? What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it?

Let me know your opinions.

I will preface this short post by saying I have not seen the show since Bayless left and, I'm guessing this guy Max you're referring to, took his place.

That said, that show as I've seen it, is awful. There is a reason nearly every respectable sports writer says bad things about that show. It appeals to the lowest common denominator. All it is is a couple of guys throwing outrageous claim one after another, in order to one up the other's outrageousness. They caterwaul back and forth in order to get their target audience to react.

As for scripted, I wouldn't go that far. But I'm sure they're sitting there before the show spitting out preplanned lines in order to get the biggest reaction.

I used to watch that show whenever I could, which was about once a week. But after a while it's just the same thing over and over with them. Here's a point, now proceed to yell at each other for the next 10-15 minutes.

I will preface this short post by saying I have not seen the show since Bayless left and, I'm guessing this guy Max you're referring to, took his place.

That said, that show as I've seen it, is awful. There is a reason nearly every respectable sports writer says bad things about that show. It appeals to the lowest common denominator. All it is is a couple of guys throwing outrageous claim one after another, in order to one up the other's outrageousness. They caterwaul back and forth in order to get their target audience to react.

As for scripted, I wouldn't go that far. But I'm sure they're sitting there before the show spitting out preplanned lines in order to get the biggest reaction.

I used to watch that show whenever I could, which was about once a week. But after a while it's just the same thing over and over with them. Here's a point, now proceed to yell at each other for the next 10-15 minutes.

Yep, Max Kellerman (the boxing guy) replaced Bayless. I'm not really a fan, I like sports but ESPN as a whole just seems like a bunch of hot garbage to me. I have only caught a couple bits of First Take since Kellerman took over, although he's not as big of a tool as Skip Bayless, the show is the same, like you said it's guys who don't really know what they're talking about yelling at each other to generate a buzz amongst viewers. ESPN has really reached new lows in quality since the format of most shows has gone to this debate show stuff, I could go to any sports bar, barbershop or male heavy workplace in America and get the same level of insight and debate that ESPN offers on shows like First Take, Around the Horn, His and Her's, Sport's nation etc..

Is it a good sports show? Depends on how you view it. While I'm cool with Kellerman, the show lost that spark after Skip left. My reasoning for listening to the podcasts was the dynamic between Stephen A and Skip. Mind you, Skip Bayless and his opinions and "facts" do get under my skin, especially his continued venom towards Aaron Rodgers. He strikes me as the fanboy who never grew up. But I've listened to the show very little since he left. It doesn't have that same umph. But it's not a bad show for sports.

A while ago I couldn't figure out why Skip was leaving at first, and then the numbers for his deal with Fox were released: a four year deal worth $5.5 million a year, with a $4,000,000 signing bonus, and recently Bayless did a podcast, where he said, in his opinion, he was " The most underpaid on-air talent at ESPN for 12 years."

The formula with Skip and Stephen A. saying stupid shit for the sake of saying stupid shit to get a reaction out of each other was annoying. Every now and then they actually had some good and sensible debates, but if it's anything involving the Cowboys, Spurs, Patriots, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Michael Jordan, or LeBron James you can be sure they're going back to shouting at each other, with Stephen A.'s exaggerated antics and over the top and ridiculous responses.

I actually don't have a big problem with current trio of Stephen A., Max, and Molly. I know it's not the trainwreck that everyone wants to see with Skip, and Stephen A. is still Stephen A., but as FMB pointed out, after a while you realize you're watching Skip and Stephen A. going over the same routine again and again with the same arguments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back