Invasion 2001... Why did this bother me so much?!

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
So last night, I went back and I re-watched the WWF Invasion Pay Per View with the "Inaugural Brawl" as the main event where Austin would turn heel and join the Alliance. And the entire event was pretty decent, all of it believable. I was even enjoying moments I forgot about like X-Pac vs. Billy Kidman. And then... I hated it.

During the entrances of the Inaugural Brawl, WWE decided to mix things up with entrances with alternating team members coming out individually. It was a nice concept except for the fact that I couldn't help but notice that besides DDP and Austin (who came out at the beginning of the opening brawl), Booker T wasn't allowed to even enter the ring. Here was the top WCW guy at the time, ready to enter into what was the biggest match of the time. Everyone else except the two most notable faces of each company available were already in the ring or had at least been able to get into it before joining their team. The Dudleys went first, followed by Brothers of Destruction, then Rhyno, followed by Jericho, followed by Booker T... and when Booker went to entered, every single one of the WWE guys wouldn't let him in.

Now I get it, that's just WWF baring the WWF flag and holding down their fort... but then why was Rhyno allowed in? Why were the WWF guys allowed in at all if the WCW/ECW team came out first? Why was the following entrant Kurt Angle allowed in, and not stopped by WCW guys at the steps? It just really irritated me that of all the guys there, Booker T was the only one that wasn't allowed into the ring. And the fact that Booker had a look of confusion on his face made me feel like that wasn't even supposed to be like that.

Same reason why invasions never happened outside of when talent was acquired by buyouts, the dominant Home company is going to win, Period.

WWF was still the product and brand being represented, they were allowed to crap all over whomever they wanted.

Booker T being the top guy, and being disrespected was just WWF claiming the victory before it even began.

There are much better reasons to hate the invasion aside from the WWF guys not letting Booker T in the ring. The fact that Booker T was the top WCW guy that was brought in is one of them.

If anything, I'd say Booker T not being "allowed" to enter the ring worked more for him than standing in the ring did for Rhyno.

Being singled out by team WWF and prevented from entering made Booker T stand out. He was a talking point at the time (and obviously still is).

In scripted events, any kind of personal involvment in the story is better than none at all. Even if you're made to look slightly foolish.

Also, you being convinced by Booker T's expression is a credit to him as a performer. He clearly played the part perfectly. Don't forget, 99% of what you see on TV is what was written in the script. Even 15 years ago.

Pro-wrestling has never been a nice guy's sport. It's akin to a team of hockey players working over Sidney Crosby while largely ignoring the rest of the team. They'll spear him, slash him, talk trash, all night long just to get into his head.

Similarly, Booker T was the Sidney Crosby (or Lebron James for you non-NHL fans) of WCW at the time. And believe it or not, there were tensions between the two companies. I don't think you need to worry about Booker's feelings being hurt or anything.

Than again, I haven't actually watched that PPV in a couple years so it's completely possible that it was done in kayfabe.

We all know that the Invasion was a failed experiment from the start for a handful of reasons, egos and bad booking being the main two reason. Some say lack of true WCW names but it really just came down to the WWF couldn't stand to be outshined by WCW long enough to make it work.

We all know that the Invasion was a failed experiment from the start for a handful of reasons, egos and bad booking being the main two reason. Some say lack of true WCW names but it really just came down to the WWF couldn't stand to be outshined by WCW long enough to make it work.

Outside of Booker, WWF already had every big WCW guy that wasn't a ridiculous oversized contract that would bankrupt them.

WWF Couldnt be outshined by the C Show of WCW.

The Invasion wasn't an experiment it was an inevitable and highly anticipated angle that was executed poorly.

I wonder what would have happened if McMahon didn't venture fourth the XFL. I know he lost money on that and perhaps if he didn't do the XFL he could have signed a few bigger names during the Invasion angle.

Also the problem was the Invasion Angle is Austin's heel turn. Austin and The Rock were the faces of the WWF at the time. Turning Austin heel right after the bought WCW was a big mistake. With the Invasion angle looming they couldm't just turn Austin face that quickly and the alternative of him being the leader of WCW/ECW is just as bad since it kills the credibly of WCW and now there's no one leading the charge for the WWF.

Basically when the Invasion Angle started all WCW/ECW had was Booker T, DDP, Buff Bagwell (who was fired right after) RVD and Rhyno. I think if WWF could have just signed 3 top guys The Invasion Angle would have been a success. I think any of Ric Flair, Eric Bishoff, Goldberg, Lex Luger, Sting, Kevin Nash, or Scott Hall would have sufficed.

It will always be discussed, but the fact is: the talent simply wasn't there. When I say talent, I mean Goldberg, Hogan, Nash etc.

Booker T and DDP are both big WCW names, but DDP was being treated like a joke, and those two aren't going to take on the roster of white hot WWF.

If they left it longer, the casual fans would have vanished. Look how low the Wrestlemania 19 buy rate was when all the talent was on board (sans Sting).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back