Intl. Region, Leeds Subregion, Second Round: (4)Chris Benoit vs. (20)Mitsuharu Misawa

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Chris Benoit

• Mitsuharu Misawa

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the International Region, Leeds Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under standard wrestling rules. It will be held at the Leeds Arena in Leeds, England.

Leeds-arena-1.jpg

Chris-Benoit-5-1.jpg

#4. Chris Benoit

Vs.

misawa.jpg

#20. Mitshuaru Misawa

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Here we go, this would be a pretty fine match but there's no doubt where the victory would go. While Benoit had a pretty good career, he was a midcarder most of his career. And even if you consider Benoit's "prime" this still isn't a contest. "Benoit's prime" MIGHT have covered a few months at most. While most of Misawa's title reigns were longer than Benoit's prime. And as I've said in the past if your "prime" is a few months, it wasn't your prime it was an experiment and one that failed.

Misawa dominated Japan for years and years, going over some of the biggest names in Japanese wrestling History. Defeating Jumbo in his first main event match, making him submit later, and dominating the most stacked main event scene in Japanese wrestling history. While Benoit won the world title when two were available and as a thank you for his work. Benoit wasn't as good a wrestler as Misawa, he wasn't as good a draw as misawa, and he wasn't on top for nearly as long.

You're comparing a guy who's time at the top was middle of the road at best and about as short as possible, to a guy who's time at the top lasted over ten years and had him beating every major guy there was for him to face. Misawa not only goes over but he goes over pretty impressively.

Winner- Misawa with a Tiger Driver off the second rope.

Misawa takes this one. Want to see someone who could match the intensity of Benoit? The mat wrestling of Benoit? The intestinal fortitude of Benoit? Then see a Misawa match.

Benoit's also wrestled in Japan under Pegasus Kid, and one is to assume that if he ever came across Misawa, he would have been overmatched back then. Benoit's style hadn't changed since then, so the result wouldn't change either.

Misawa takes this in a very physical battle.

Oh why don't you just ask me to pick a child KB. This match would have been fucking amazing to see had Benoit ever worked for All Japan during the height of Misawa's career but he was always a New Japan guy so their paths unfortunately never crossed. Two guys with very similar styles, both intense as hell with a myriad of suplex options to utilize. You'd probably give Benoit the speed advantage, but that all depends on what era of Misawa's career we're talking about here. Don't forget, the man was the second (and most famous) incarnation of the legendary Tiger Mask character and was known for his high-flying ability above all during the early stages of his career. Are we talking mid to late 90s Misawa, slower but much more powerful and virtually unbeatable? Old and slightly broken down but still better than 90% of wrestlers on the planet Misawa from right before his untimely death? In the end I'm not sure it matters, because Misawa would (and should) win this. Taking away nothing from Benoit's incredible career and track record, he's simply outmatched here by a man that many renowned wrestling critics and historians generally consider to be atleast in the Top 5 greatest wrestlers ever, if not arguably the greatest. The one thing that really puts him over the edge here is his time spent as the second Tiger Mask, which I mentioned earlier. Why? Because he was known for his world-famous feud with the Dynamite Kid (the man Benoit modeled his entire style and career after), and more often than not almost always wound up victorious. Kid got a few wins here and there, but predominantly, Misawa always found a way to pull out the win, and that was when he was just a fresh-faced rookie with only a few years wrestling under his belt.

Misawa gets the nod here.

Yeah, Misawa wins. Easily. Not only was he basically Japan biggest draw throughout the 90's but he was the owner of NOAH, drove his former employer into a financial hole because Baba's wife was a cunt, and he was regularly drawing PPV's attendance records that rivaled Wrestlemania's. So it's not like he was a big fish in a small pond either. Chris Beniot was a career midcarder. He barely survived his match him Henry because so many people were undecided on his level of importance.

His tragedy aside, that shouldn't give him excuse to go over one of Japan's all time greats when Benoit himself was such a small time player in a similar sized pond.

I'll go with Misawa here. Without knowing a whole lot about international wrestling Misawa was always the name that stood out to me when reading the Apter mags in the 90s and early 00s. I think Benoit is just the type of opponent to be put against Misawa and give him a hard hitting contest before ultimately losing to him. I think Misawa had more success during his career and deserves to advance here.

Just from what I have learned about Misawa through the tournaments he wins this one easily. Benoit was great, but not on the same level at all. Misawa gets my vote.

I'm not going to pretend to be a massive Misawa fan, but the fact is he achieved far more in Japan than Benoit did everywhere he wrestled, and as such you have to say that on neutral ground, Misawa would probably get the business done and would win this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back