Intl. Region, Leeds Subregion, First Round: (12) Ted DiBiase vs. (21) Sgt. Slaughter

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Ted DiBiase

• Sgt. Slaughter

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the International Region, Leeds Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under standard wrestling rules. It will be held at the Leeds Arena in Leeds, England.

Leeds-arena-1.jpg

hof_dibiase_andre_title.jpg

#12. Ted DiBiase

Vs.

WWFMagazineApril1991Page35Scanne-1_display_image.jpg

#21. Sgt. Slaughter

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I strongly believe the only choice in this match is Sgt. Slaughter. And not just for simplistic reasons like "omg he won the title and DiBiase didn't". I think it's undeniable that late 80s DiBiase was his prime, so i'm using that one.

DiBiase is considered one of the top heels in WWF history throughout the Hogan era. I'm not disagreeing, he was incredibly talented and his gimmick was perfect. I fondly look back at him too. Guess how many times he had a match vs Hogan, the #1 face, during his entire career? Two, and one of those was in 1979 before Hogan hit the top. They seemed to never STOP feuding during the 80s in earliest WWF, yet it was always about DiBiase wanting the WWF title and turning to outside help to aid him. He never really got that shot himself. Wrestlemania 4 was the closest he got, main eventing the show but jobbing cleanly to the #2 face. Iconic, supremely talented, historic career.. but he was never that guy.

Now Slaughter WAS a genuine main eventer. I find it harder to clarify his prime - probably as being the single most hated wrestler in the world, taking the title off The Ultimate Warrior and going into Wrestlemania for a match with prime Hogan as the champion. That's probably it. Maybe you could argue it was actually 10 years before as a babyface, when he went from the #1 heel for Backlunds WWF title to the #2 face behind Hogan, considered more popular than Andre The Giant at the time.

DiBiase was essentially a "main-event manager" and an upper midcard wrestler. Slaughter is one of the biggest stars in this tournament and a genuine contender, whether face or heel. All Sarge.

This is a tough one. I think these two match up pretty well in their primes. Slaughter did pretty well for himself but no one ever really pulled the trigger on him as the top guy. His world title reign only took place because the US happened to be at war and the WWF was looking for a big story. Dibiase never reached the very top of the mountain but he was someone that could be inserted into a title feud or be put against the top guy at anytime and not look out of place. In the first round of a tournament I give the edge to Dibiase. I see more value in him in the future rounds.

I hate, hate, hate this matchup. One of the hardest in the first round. The problem is that Slaughter held the WWF championship and was over as hell as a good as well. But Dibiase was one of the better heels ever. I think his impact on the business is bigger in many ways.

Winner- Dibiase just barely, rolling Slaughter up after a poke to the eye.

Was Ted DiBiase part of the elite fighting force known as G I Joe? Nope. While Slaughter was fighting for justice, Ted was hanging out with his black man servant & trying to cheat on his taxes.

A vote for the Sarge is a vote for America. Its a vote against greedy men who think they can buy you off. So do the right thing, stand up & yell "Yo Joe!" as you cast your vote for Sgt. Slaughter.

Was Ted DiBiase part of the elite fighting force known as G I Joe? Nope. While Slaughter was fighting for justice, Ted was hanging out with his black man servant & trying to cheat on his taxes.

A vote for the Sarge is a vote for America. Its a vote against greedy men who think they can buy you off. So do the right thing, stand up & yell "Yo Joe!" as you cast your vote for Sgt. Slaughter.

Do you know who funded G I Joe? Men like Ted DiBiase. The million dollar man has so much money, he could hire the government to send Slaughter to Antarctica to fight the yeti army, and the government would have to do it because they are so in debt.

Vote for DiBiase. Cash rules everything.

Don't believe me, take it from Wu-Tang.
[YOUTUBE]WrsfJHLx5YA[/YOUTUBE]

Do you know who funded G I Joe? Men like Ted DiBiase. The million dollar man has so much money, he could hire the government to send Slaughter to Antarctica to fight the yeti army, and the government would have to do it because they are so in debt.

Vote for DiBiase. Cash rules everything.

Don't believe me, take it from Wu-Tang.
[YOUTUBE]WrsfJHLx5YA[/YOUTUBE]

The Wu-Tang Clan takes drugs. Men like Ted help fund drug cartels & terrorist organizations- not the military. Guess who is a terrorist organization? Cobra. Men like Ted help Cobra Commander pay for all those snazzy vehicles. Sgt Slaughter helps destroy those vehicles & ruins the evil plans of Cobra Commander. He also keeps kids safe by educating them about danger, poison & evil men like Ted DiBiase because knowing is half the battle. Using a giant machine gun is the other half.

If you vote for DiBiase then you are clearly a terrorist or part of a drug cartel. Do you really want to have Sgt Slaughter show up at your front door with a tank? Of course not.

Vote Slaughter. Yo Joe.

DiBiase for no other reason than he was always more entertaining to me, and I want to see some of his match ups later in the tournament.

Toughest vote yet for me. I think on balance they were similar characters, and DiBiase is probably over appreciated while Slaughter is under appreciated. In the end, I went with DiBiase for no other reason than I think his character was more interesting. I don't expect either to go particularly deep into the tournament though.

Slaughter was more over than Andre the Giant as the #2 behind Hogan in early WWF! DiBiase meanwhile, whose whole gimmick was about wanting the WWF title and it being the only thing he couldn't buy, only got one title shot in his career. one! Even when they put the belt on Savage and Warrior while DiBiase was still in his prime, still he wasn't inserted into the title picture! When I think of DiBiase I think of managing Andre and being denied, making the final at WM4, his feud with Dusty Rhodes, bringing in The Undertaker , being amazing in AJPW, coming second in the Royal Rumble, losing to Virgil.

Name DiBiase's kayfabe height. For me it's beating Jim Duggan and a wayyyy past it Don Muraco to make the final at WM4, before losing to Randy Savage for the belt. Maybe you could argue winning King of the Ring was his best achievement. This is the guy you are putting over a world champion, more over face than Andre The Giant, more over heel than Randy Savage. Yes Wrestlemania 7 was opportunistic timing with the war, that doesn't diminish it's credibility... and I'd argue his prime was 10 years before.

VOTE SLAUGHTER. Not for America, but because he is the clear choice

I'm voting the Million Dollar Man simply because I preferred him and I'm not going to blackball him because the (W)WWF always had their emphasis on having a face champion with only the (very) occasional short heel run. That DiBiase was positioned at the top of the card for so long would mean had he came along 15/ 20 years later he would be a multitime World Champ. Sarge was given a brief run at the top of the card due to, possibly, the most tasteless attempt to cash in ever (Finlay got fired for less!). Aside from that he was rarely involved in the World Title picture.

Oh, and sorry deem, my friend, but DiBiase had more than two World Title Matchs...
Vs Hogan
http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=konst&letter1=T&wrestler1=1115&letter2=H&wrestler2=184&letter3=&wrestler3=0&letter4=&wrestler4=0&matchtyp=1&anzeige=matches&seite=1

Vs Savage
http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=konst&letter1=T&wrestler1=1115&letter2=R&wrestler2=451&letter3=&wrestler3=0&letter4=&wrestler4=0&anzeige=matches&matchtyp=1

Vs Ultimate Warrior
http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=konst&letter1=T&wrestler1=1115&letter2=U&wrestler2=859&letter3=&wrestler3=0&letter4=&wrestler4=0&anzeige=matches&matchtyp=1

Vs Ric Flair
http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=konst&letter1=T&wrestler1=1115&letter2=R&wrestler2=316&letter3=&wrestler3=0&letter4=&wrestler4=0&anzeige=matches&matchtyp=1

This is by far the toughest of all the opening round match ups and while both men did have short but enjoyable runs as main eventers in the WWE, Slaughter just about edges it for me. Slaughter had a more successful career outside of WWE and while The Million dollar Man did try to buy the WWE title, Sarge did beat the Ultimate Warrior for the title and went on to main event Wrestlemania VII with Hogan which is something DiBiase never accomplished. So for this reason Sarge gets my vote.

It's a difficult match-up like everyone else has said. Dibiase is a bit overrated by the IWC while Slaughter is a bit underrated. Dibiase had a better character and was a better in ring worker but Sarge was the guy who got the job done, in my book. If you are looking for a peak against peak comparison, you would probably have to say that Sarge drew way lot more heat than Dibiase did in his Iraqi sympathizer gimmick. I guess, I'll vote for Sarge on that basis.

Also, UK did support USA in the Gulf War. That would make Slaughter a heel here. It just feels like one of those matches where the heel wins only for him to get his comeuppance from a better guy in the later rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back