Int Region, Toronto Subregion, Second Round: (6) Kurt Angle vs. (11) Jack Brisco

Who wins this match?

• Kurt Angle

• Jack Brisco

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the International Region, Toronto Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under International Rules, meaning the match is held under the standard rules of the country the match is held in. It will be held at the Air Canada Center in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Assume one week has passed since the first round match.

acc.jpg

IMG_9536.jpg

#6. Kurt Angle

Vs.

mqpwkv7jugopo356r5ew.jpg

#11. Jack Brisco

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Now THIS would be a phenomenal match to see. We got 2 of the most technically sound wrestlers there ever were, 2 accomplished amateur wrestlers and 2 guys that can put on a great match on any given night, yeah this will be awesome.

Kurt has tremendous success in the WWE and TNA. Multiple time world champion, memorable matches, memorable feuds, good on the mic and phenomenal in the ring. Then again everything I said about Kurt I could say about Jack Brisco as well.

The ONLY thing that is making me lean towards Jack Brisco in this match is during his prime he was arguably the #1 guy in all of wrestling when he was NWA champion. He had a good reign as NWA champion and was a legitimate draw for the NWA. Kurt Angle was the guy in TNA but he wasn't in WWE and comparing primes NWA was much bigger than what TNA was when Kurt was on top.

This one's very tough for me. I'm leaning towards Jack but its probably like 55% in favor of Jack. I really don't know who I'm voting for in this one. Maybe the toughest match in the tournament.

If this match simply boiled down to grappling and mat wrestling, it'd be pretty sweet. However, at the end of the day, Angle is someone that simply outclasses Jack Brisco in just about every way.

Angle is the stronger, faster, more agile and generally more athletic of the two. Angle's legit toughness is the stuff of legend and he's even the more decorated amateur wrestler. Angle has done damn near everything you can do as an amateur or a professional wrestler.

I'm pretty sure Jack Brisco competed in the Olympics, but I've not heard of him winning a medal. Angle is a Gold Medalist in wrestling and this match would turn into a flat-out chain wrestling match or catch-as-catch-can as the old people call it.

Angle's wrestling career is decorated with accomplishments, big time victories, and an overall work ethic that's second to none. Angle has his own style and it worked for him. Brisco during his time beat Terry Funk, Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat, and Dory Funk Jr. when these guys were in either their prime or best shape of their careers.

That being said, adapting to the intense style Angle has is tough for anyone, which makes me give the slight edge to Kurt Angle in what will be a wrestling classic.

My oh my we've got ourselves a slobberknocker here. Brisco had two reigns of over a year with the NWA title. Back then the only other people to do that were Lou Thesz and Buddy Rodgers. With that being as great an accomplishment that there is, I'm not sure if Jack can match Angle's speed, agility, or freakishly awkward strength. I have to go with Kurt here it's almost as if he's like the updated version of Jack Brisco. Kurt takes this one here in an absolute classic.

I'm pretty sure Jack Brisco competed in the Olympics, but I've not heard of him winning a medal.

You know this isn't amateur wrestling, right?

The fact is that Kurt Angle has never been a proper draw. The WWE pushed him at a time when Austin and Rock were still around, but yet he couldn't keep the ratings needle anywhere near their level when he moved to centre stage after they left.

Angle is fantastic to watch, and engaging both on the mic and in the ring, but the fact remains that he is not appealing to the fairweather fan. Ask someone who watched wrestling 10 years ago who they remember, and he's often much further down the list than he was down the card. I don't know why this is the case, but it seems as if it is.

On the other hand, Brisco was a draw in a time where you perhaps didn't need to have some of those criteria to be popular. I think fundamentally, the way I've judged this is who would do best in the other's era, and it has to be Angle.

Angle did have a short burst of being the top guy in wrestling. In 2006 (so he claims) Angle was the highest paid guy in the company and the top star they had before leaving to go to TNA. I think looking at his work at the time it might be correct, but I'm not one to blindly believe something Kurt Angle said.

We all know how sound Angle is in the ring. His style is very heavily based on amateur wrestling, for which he won an Olympic gold medal (with a broken freaking neck... that's not important). Point is, he knows how to work a match, and not just a amateur wrestling match, a pro wrestling match. He's had some great ones, maybe more than any other guy in the last decade. Plus there's very few people like him who've been so quickly hot-shotted to superstardom from being a total nobody in the wrestling world to a main eventer. Brock Lesnar springs to mind but Angle was better with similar credentials.

Jack Brisco had a great career but spent much of it as part of a tag team, albeit a very popular one. He had a lot of high profile feuds and was a champion in a variety of places, but I don't think he's been as successful a singles wrestler as Kurt Angle has. Even if it has been only two companies, Kurt Angle has rarely been off the top of the card, and that's because of the consistent quality he delivers. I'd probably push Angle over Brisco in accomplishments or in the ring.

Absolutely great match we have here with two of the most skilled grapplers ever in the business. Brisco had two great runs as NWA champ and was really popular in his time. Just a really really good wrestler overall. With that said I think Angle has him beat at least slightly in all the categories that count. Simply, Angle's background and success in amateur wrestling really helped him to be one of the greatest in the ring i've ever seen. To me he's really a perfect size a wrestler, he's quick, strong, has excellent technical ability, and even occasionally flies (Kurt's moonsault is awesome). Other than his in ring ability, Kurt is much more charismatic and a better talker. Angle can be freaking hilarious even without using profanity or cheap insults like we had in the late 90s. He's great on the serious side too, tons of intensity.

Jack had a great run in NWA and is a true legend of this pseudo sport we love but Kurt just has him outmatched. Angle is one of the best all around pro wrestlers ever and I expect him to go far in this tournament.

Wow this might be the best match of the tournament so far. Brisco is usually eliminated too early but this time his early exit will be justified. Brisco was at his best when he was mat wrestling. He wouldn't have the advantage over Angle there. I think Angle would have the advantage if Brisco tried taking the match in any other direction too. Brisco was one of the all time greats but I think he's simply met his match in Angle.

This may well be one of the most difficult 2nd round matches to date....We have two of the most celebrated pros, both with outstanding amateur wrestling skills, and both having taken part in some high profile angles as professionals...Mr. Angle and Mr. Brisco are both good promo guys with a mic in their hand; and their acumen inside the ropes speaks for itself... I'm tempted to go with Jack Brisco, because he held the most important professinal title that there was in the time he won it, but by the same token' Kurt Angle was not only a gold medal winner in the 1996 olympics,, but his pro career has been nothing to sneeze at either... tough call.. My gut says Kurt Angle, his highly successfull career in the pro ranks compounded with his gold medal win in the 1996 Olympics(with a broken neck no less) puts him over Brisco...Kurt squeaks out a victory in a spectacular scientific wrestling matchup.

Angle would have been great in any era. Brisco was great, but I just think Angle was just about as much of a total package as we have seen in this sport. His speed, agility, and toughness would carry him to a win in what would be a great great technical match.

The battle to see if Wes was right. Is a Brisco always better than an Angle??

Obviously accomplishments and technical accumen are not going to be factors that can be used to easily distinguish between these two. Both won World titles everywhere they went, including Japan, and both were very decorated amatuers as well. They are also essentially the same size.

I'm going to go with Angle for one primary reason here- like some of the previous posters in the thread, the main factor to seperate these two is explosiveness. Kurt is simply a perfect example of the more modern athlete, and what modern training can do for you. Compared to Brisco he is simply stronger, quicker, and can employ a more versatile high flying offensive to create a change of pace by hitting some big risk, bigger reward moves that would be the difference. Brisco is hurt by the fact that all the areas where he would typically have an extreme advantage that would lead to him outclassing his opponent are negated versus Kurt.

Boy this is hard. A guy that is top 10 modern wrestlers Vs one of the greatest of all time. My initial reaction was Brisco - that strengthened when reading the thread due to people overstating Angle's career in comparison. Brisco is the f man. However I got to here and was finally swayed;

I'm going to go with Angle for one primary reason here- like some of the previous posters in the thread, the main factor to seperate these two is explosiveness. Kurt is simply a perfect example of the more modern athlete, and what modern training can do for you. Compared to Brisco he is simply stronger, quicker, and can employ a more versatile high flying offensive to create a change of pace by hitting some big risk, bigger reward moves that would be the difference. Brisco is hurt by the fact that all the areas where he would typically have an extreme advantage that would lead to him outclassing his opponent are negated versus Kurt.

because I agree. I think Brisco may have a slight advance at puro in kayfabe (if this was a shoot it'd obv be Angle) simple because he's wrestled all his matches as such. Angle's just more dynamic and has other styles he can switch to, whereas Brisco has no plan B.

The only thing to consider is whether this match would be 100% worked in puro style, or whether Kurt WOULD change his game up. Hard to tell, but there's one prime example of Kurt's matwork being exposed by a kayfabe better matworker and switching it up;

[youtube]6hW4_mqyhpA[/youtube]

So yeah, he can switch it up and he would - and Brisco is gonna be way less able to cope than a 2000s Benoit is.

Angle advances

Kurt Angle probably has the wood over Jack Brisco here in every way and while Brisco was a legend he wasn't as good as Kurt Angle. Yes Kurt was never king of the mountain of WWE but then again he had to compete with guys like Rock, Austin and Undertaker probably the 3 most well known wrestlers globally as this is the international region since Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant. I think that Kurt would win in a highly competitive match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back