Int Region, New York Subregion, First Round:(1) Steve Austin vs. (32)Nigel McGuinness

Discussion in 'International Region' started by klunderbunker, Mar 11, 2013.

?

Who Wins This Match?

1. Steve Austin

2. Nigel McGuinness

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a first round match in the International Region, New York Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under International Rules, meaning the match is held under the standard rules of the country the match is held in. It will be held at Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1. Steve Austin

Vs.

[​IMG]

#32. Nigel McGuinness

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

2. The Brain

The Brain King Of The Ring

A number one seed against a number 32 seed is supposed to be a squash, right? That's what we got here. Austin is going to walk into MSG and make quick work of McGuinness. With all due respect to his ROH fanbase McGuinness is a realtive unknown going up against one of the greatest of all time. Austin in a cakewalk.

3. IHW

IHW WZCW's Brent Blaze

Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass. Your being Wolfe. I haven't watched much ROH, but I did enjoy Nigel's work in TNA. Desmond Wolfe was a good character with great in-ring skills. He just isn't a match for the Rattlesnake. With the whole McGuinness Retirement Tour coming up, I expect him to get one or two votes from die hard ROH fans, but Austin advances.

4. AhSpicyDrop

AhSpicyDrop Trinidad Moruga Scorpion SPICY!

Even the most diehard of ROH fans would be bordering on near ******ation to pick Nigel over Austin. I really enjoy Nigel's work, but there isn't anything he does that trumps Austin. Austin with a Stunner, a two finger salute, and a stamped ticket to the next round.

TLC likes this.
  5. Big Papa Santo

Big Papa Santo Ryder? I barely even know her!

Arrive. Kick some Brits ass. Leave.
    That's what Steve Austin is going to do at MSG. Nigel is nothing more than an above average Indy star who never made it to the big show. Steve Austin on the other hand, well, I don't really have to explain who Steve Austin is.

6. 8thwotwATG

8thwotwATG The Big Boss

You've got arguably one of the greatest wrestling stars of all time against the best guy of a third rate organization? At the risk of offending some ROH superfans, there is NOOO WAAAY that Nigel McGuinness goes over SCSA now or any other time during this tourney. Austin was better in the ring, on the mic, and at putting fans in the seats even during his days as "Stunning" Steve than Nigel, nevermind as SCSA. After stomping a mudhole into nigel, he drops a stone cold stunner on him for the win, and on to the next round.

7. 6timehitta

6timehitta Big Papa Panty Droppa

Well I'm not going to try to push Nigel over Austin, as I'd just get laughed off the forums if I did, but Nigel wouldn't make it easy for Stone Cold. While Steve does win quite quickly, Nigel does get his offense in.

BUT Stone Cold wins in about 10 minutes.

8. Brewski

Brewski How Damn Good Am I?!

Nigel packed in a great ROH career in about 10 years and he's a great wrestler but compared to SCSA he's a jobber.

Stone Cold squashes Nigel in this match.

9. El Rev sXe

El Rev sXe If you have ghosts...

What a way to start the tournament, a squash match. As good as Nigel McGuinness can be, he isn't at all an opponent for Austin. A 6 to 8 minute match. A good old fashioned beatdown just to start engines for SCSA. Austin wins.

10. Big Nick Dudley

I loved Nigel as Desmond Wolfe and always thought he had a major future. Injuries or disease, whatever happened, it stunk. Loved that guy.

Too bad he's facing the first or second greatest pro wrestler to ever put on a pair of boots. Austin rarely dominate opponents, and wouldn't do so here. Well, not really. I say it goes eight or nine minutes, but Austin wins with a Stunner, no question.

11. deem

deem Getting Noticed By Management

Yh i have little to add here. I'm british, i love european style and have always loved McGuinness. But this is Stone Cold and this is getoutnigel.

I rate McGuinness fairly highly too - i'd put him over Castagnoli/Cesaro personally if that was the first round match. Stone Cold is the tournament favourite and the #1 seed in my personal opinion. I think this would be booked as a huge squash with Nige selling well before mounting a small comeback and stunner, beers, moving on to round 2.

12. Master JM

Master JM Yer a Witcher, Geralt

McGuinness isn't a big deal and never has been. He was pretty solid in TNA and probably a big star in ROH. He's just another one of those generic indy wrestlers though, and there's no way he's going over Steve freaking Austin in any type of match. I don't even need to argue why.

13. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Big fan of Desmond Wolfe. Shame that the WWE medical department were proved correct by him. But come on, I imagine the sum television audience of every single person that has ever tuned in to watch him is less than a single episode of Raw in Austin's pomp. Obviously that isn't a direct comparison, but it makes the point. McGuinness was a solid performer, Austin is deservedly a number 1 seed.

14. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Dang, another internet and/or indy favorite gets a bad 1st round draw.

McGuiness is someone that had a lot of talent and ability. When he initially came to TNA as Desmond Wolf, the guy clearly had something going on. For whatever the reason, I've heard everything from some sort of severe injury to having Hepatitis, McGuiness' career was cut short.

Stone Cold Steve Austin, from a purely wrestling perspective, is probably the only guy in America to come close to being on Hogan's level in terms of popularity. McGuiness doesn't register as a blip on the radar in comparison quite frankly. Austin's popularity and name value alone is more than enough to carry him through against McGuinness.

15. supernatural1981

supernatural1981 Pre-Show Stalwart

Nigel has great in ring skills but Austin would whoop his ass in no time.

I dont even think it would last all that long so im choosing Austin to win in under 5 mins

16. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

This would not even be close. Give Nigel some credit? Yeah, but against Stone Cold? No dice. Austin in less than five minutes, & that includes the beer bash after the stunner.

Bigger draw, bigger star. SCSA with the win.

17. The Dragon Saga

The Dragon Saga Whale in a Teardrop

:disappointed:

That's a comedy tour, not a wrestling tour.

Nigel McGuinness was at one point my favorite wrestler on the planet. Still ranked very highly despite retirement, but I found him to be the entire package. Phenomenal technical wrestler, good character, good talker, had an aura about him that just made him unique. Hepetitis B screwed up his career but hes cleared now, which is good for the man, but chooses not to wrestle simply because its not worth injurying himself further to achieve a dream of wrestling in the WWE when theres little chance left of it happening.

With a heavy heart, much like with DBD and Lawler, SCSA takes this. Austin is... well, Austin. Nigel would out-wrestle Austin but Steve would just beat the daylights out of Nigel. If you could get these two in their prime against one another It'd actually be entertaining as hell, kinda similar in-terms of character.

18. HBsam31

HBsam31 Totally Reeking of Awesomeness

I liked Nigel a lot, but he is obviously no where near Austin. Austin is a legend, and possibly the biggest draw ever. No contest here.

19. Hollywood Naitch

Hollywood Naitch The current reigning and defending

Austin goes over here easily, whoever voted for McGuinness, I really hope you clicked the wrong choice by mistake?

Nigel has been very unfortunate with his career prematurely ending due to injury and/or disease. He was VERY talented, I was looking forward to seeing him take TNA by storm and eventually come to the WWE.

But this is Stone Cold Steve Austin. And that says it all.

Winner = Stone Cold