In All Of Wrestling, Who Is The Biggest Mark For Him/Herself?

Even though he is one of my all-time favorites, I have to say Bret Hart.

If you listen to him talk, he believes he is one of the best of all time, which I don't agree with, but sometimes he makes statements that to me, separate him from being "one of the boys", and almost implies that he was "above" everything else that went on during "life on the road".

Granted he might of not been partaking in steroids or "hard" drugs, but sometimes you hear interviews of him, and it seems like he lives in a different world than everyone else.

I am not disrespecting him in anyway, he obviously needs our prayers and concern since his recent cancer diagnosis, but sometimes i think Bret really believes he is in a different class than all of the "boys". Listening to interviews of him now, i think that he comes off as bitter and angry, even though the wrestling business gave him everything, and he got to end his WWF/E career on a high note....

The funniest thing is that while i could name guys like Hogan, flair, hhh or anybody that actually matter in the industry, i will go in the indys and say that the young bucks are the biggest mark. Here's 2 guys that really never amount to anything in wrestling and acts in and out of the ring like they are the biggest thing in wrestling. They don'T respect the business they are in and that if it doesn't make themselves look good, they just don'T care.

My first answer would be Bret Hart.

No matter what the subject, no matter who is being spoken about, he always manages to somehow make it about himself.

This happens during nearly every interview, even if Bret never wrestled or even met a certain person the answer is almost always something like "But if you compare his matches with mine..."

The thing about Hogan is, most Radio or TV interviewers probably aren't Wrestling fans, so the only wrestler they know is Hulk Hogan, so therefore only ask him about him, so the only thing he can talk about is himself.

I suppose it would be like having Paul McCartney on a show and expecting him to only talk about Weezer and Cradle Of Filth for two hours.

They won't know about Hiro Matsuda, Terry Boulder, the Territories - They will only have heard of, or been given notes on, Rocky III, Andre The Giant, Nick's car accident and the recent racism scandal.

Though in Hogan's two years in TNA, he rarely mentioned them and did little, if anything to put them over - It was all about Hogan.

Bret Hart gets my vote though.

Yeah I'd throw Bret Harts name near the top of that list but two other names I haven't seen mentioned yet: Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair.

Yeah Flair seems to sell a rather bullshit version of himself nowadays (making a joke seeing as he turned himself into a joke perhaps) but, this is the guy that did everything in his power as booker of WCW to hinder the progress of The Hollywood Blondes (and let's not forget basically ignoring Foley vs Vader as a potential main event feud) because he didn't want his heel heat doused by others catching on...then getting into a pissing contest with Bret Hart about the content of Flairs book (including the disgusting bit about feeling sorry for the McMahons more than Bret when Owen died) and slapping Foley because Foley refused to shake his hand after he'd slaughtered him in his book (a receipt for Foley saying Flair was "as bad a booker as he was great a wrestler" which was fair considering what Flair did to Foleys career while he had the book in WCW). Plus he seems to find it easier to admit that he's been a mega shit dad when his kids were growing up a lot easier than admitting he's even lost half a step in wrestling.

As for Dusty Rhodes being a mark for himself, yeah, he was. Probably rubbed one out anytime anyone used the term "Dusty finish".

How did Flair hinder The Hollywood Blondes ? He had no booking power in 1993 and in fact made them look awesome everytime he worked against them? Flair pushed hard for Steve Austin literally until Bischoff & Hogan fired him, part of the reason Austin gas treated him like royalty for twenty years (Hogan & Bischoff not so much).

Fact is, it's hard to get to the top and stay there and be high on yourself. I give Brett a pass for much of what he said years ago because he was clearly bitter about the end of his career, his WCW Tenure, his WWE departure. Since he has made peace with Vince & WWE, as well as HBK and seemingly become best buds with Flair he has been less self absorbed in his interviews and less hateful. Still has no love loss for Hogan & Bischoff but....

Hogan really has never changed. He always speaks of himself as the biggest star ever and everyone is in comparison to him. I loved in his autobiography a decade ago he basically spoke as if he was the greatest star that ever lived and the only people who even deserved mentioned in the same paragraph with him were Austin, Rock, & Flair, as if no one else made any impact over the 20 years he was a major Star. It makes me laugh even now. That said Hogan rarely disparages anyone (except in response to attacks by others) and he almost never seems like he wants to disparage anyone.

Whatever you think of Nash he offers a lot of praise to people even when discussing his disagreements with them. Hogan was a politician but he made the NWO work, was a huge star, great money maker. Personal differences with Brett Hart over creative don't change what a hard worker, dedicated performer, and skilled wrestler he was. Same with Ric Flair with the regular add on that he is one of the "greatest all time". At least give Nash credit for publicly admitting the upside to those he worked with that maybe he didn't always get along with.

Flair has been open about disagreements with certain people but mostly praises them, even more than Nash. The only people he really trashed with little or no admission of upside were Eric Bischoff (though they are on decent terms now ) & Fritz Von Erich (mainly for his lack of action regarding his son Kerry's drug issues). Like Nash he doesn't change much (he & Foley are almost like best buds now but Flair doesn't back off his critique that as aneeded in ring worker Foley was lacking, despite his work ethic & charisma ) and he always attributed a large portion of Brett Hart's problems to poor booking even before they buried the hatchet.

Bottom line, I can sympathize and understand almost all of them and think it's really hard to work yourself into that highest tier and not be high on yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back